Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 12:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 105048 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1120 on: March 23, 2018, 12:33:56 PM

Not all that into space but I spotted this on reddit and really made me stop and think.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status/

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: March 23, 2018, 02:49:32 PM

Serious question.  Why are they getting closer to earth?

Why don't you try our other games?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1122 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:56 PM

No idea... maybe the Earth is in a part of its orbit that is swinging the planet back around the sun and closer to the satellites - assuming the earth is going faster towards the satellite than the satellite is speeding away from both the sun and earth.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1123 on: March 23, 2018, 04:47:19 PM

The Earth moves through space/rotates around the Sun faster than the Voyagers are moving through space (30 KM/s vs ~17 KM/s). I haven't done any real trigonometry since school but presumably even given the angle at which the Voyagers are moving away the Earth relative to the Earth's rotation around the Sun, the Earth's velocity is still faster when it's moving towards them.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4139

Edit: clarified angles

Edit: Sun not run
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:10:25 PM by Trippy »
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: March 23, 2018, 09:57:49 PM

Oh yes, makes sense when you consider voyager was visiting planets, not just going really fast away from us.

Why don't you try our other games?
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: March 24, 2018, 12:21:41 AM

Really fast is (har har) relative. Since they're not propelled, all of the probes are slowed by gravity as they fly away from any planet and the sun. The escape velocity of the solar system bottoms out fast once you're past Saturn, but they lose a lot of velocity before that.

If we pretend the earth's orbit is a circle, and that it moves at a constant speed, then it should travel at 2π x 1.5x108 km/year, and there are 3.2x107 seconds in a year. So 2π x 4.7 km/s, which is approximately 29.5 km/s. By comparison, the manmade object speed record was Juno entering Jupiter's orbit at 74 km/s... approximately one quarter of one thousandth of the speed of light.

"Busy day at the Dracula factory and there's only two of us on the assembly line, so I have to make every second count."
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: March 25, 2018, 11:26:54 AM

In the credit where credit is due department, Mad Mike launched his rocket, and he was even inside and survived!

Got to give him credit for two things,

One, for "manning up" and doing it. Do the talk, walk the walk and all that.

Two, for actually being a good enough jackleg mechanic to build this thing. It wasn't just a lawn chair with balloons attached -- this was a bonafide person carrying steam rocket that managed to keep pointing up until it, well, ran out of steam.

Oh, and for all the people who claimed he'd hurt his back the way his chair was rigged -- he hurt his back.

No word on whether he saw over the edge of the world yet.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: March 29, 2018, 07:40:33 AM

Seems that UK is more or less getting kicked out of the EU Galileo space program unless they manage to negotiate a deal (which companies like Airbus are hoping for).
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1128 on: March 30, 2018, 05:25:30 AM

Well, not getting kicked really, it's more like Galileo is an EU programme so you need to be an EU member to be part of it. Or make a special agreement to join it seperataly. Which I think the UK is going to do a) as British companies have a considerable work share in the programme that they want to retain b) else the UK would be locked out of the more accurate military Public Regulated Service.

Nothing that can't be solved in negotiations, but overall the typical Brexit idiocy. Leave then rejoin anyway.  swamp poop

The UK already lost the backup security monitoring centre due to that.

The GSMC manages access to the restricted signal, crypto keys, reaction in case of an attack on the system and all that. The main is in Paris, the UK one is (was) a mirrored facilty ready to take over if Paris goes offline for whatever reason.

Basically the military part, while Open & Commercial service operations are in the Galileo operating centre.

In US GPS terms that would the Master Control Station at the Schriever AFB in Colorado and the Alternate Master Control Station at Vandenberg AFB.

Obviously the US wouldn't house that facility in some unstable foreign country with a potentially hostile population. Same thing here.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:03:08 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread  
Jump to: