Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Learning skills diaf 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Learning skills diaf  (Read 20258 times)
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:50 AM

I started playing while Goonwaffe was in a recruitment freeze.

I'm guessing you mean the Swarm here. AFAIK  Waffle doesn't do freezes.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:00 AM

I would do Phreeze though.

Getting rid of Learning skills makes Eve, mainly the newbie experience a lot more fun. This trumps any argument existing players can come up with. "oh dear we have to edit our wiki".

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 09:37:41 AM

Indeed, it sucks helping out someone new to EVE and telling them, "Ok, for your first month or so you either aim to have fun now and be behind later, or to do a boring grind from day one and be better later."  Did anything hint at when the learning changes will go live?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 09:51:33 AM

14th December as long as all the QA hurdles are cleared.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 03:34:27 PM

Just a heads up in case some of you haven't worked this out yet: you probably should be training a learning skill right now.

This is because you can learn at a very fast rate if you're optimised for the learning skill and then re-assign those points into something you would learn slowly.

For example one of my characters is mapped for PER/WIL. I've got him learning Clarity 5, a PER/WIL skill. He probably won't actually finish learning the skill, I'm just doing it to rack up points to re-assign. When the learning skill is removed I'll dump these points in something he won't learn optimally. As he's PER/WIL and will go INT/MEM next remap some CHA based skills would be a good place to spend my points. So I'm getting 2475 skill points per hour learning Clarity which I will spend on Social skills. If I learned the Social skills now I'd get 1650 skill points per hour.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 04:23:02 PM

There are a few int/mem skills but only one per/wil, Clarity.  Would take about 10 days to get it to 5, and I'd gain some 500k points from it. 

It's a matter of delaying your current skill by 10 days (it's hard if it's a prerequisite for flying a new ship class) in order to get bonus points for some Charisma skill (eh, screw Leadership / fleet bonuses, you guys don't need those as badly as I need my new ship).
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 08:38:49 PM

I'm using MEM/INT for using up my alts noobie training bonus. The learning skills are MEM/INT, give more MEM/INT and getting the advanced upto 5 will absorb the bonus.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 02:26:39 PM

Someone should get a "where did I spend my learning points" thread going like our extended downtime training threads. Ohhhhh, I see. (I'm posting from my phone browser at work or id do it)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 05:17:57 PM

Oh man, today's patch is awesome.  The Echelon sucks, but the SP refund/boost and free respec are awesome.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 06:14:38 PM

And........suddenly I'm a level  V logistic pilot  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 07:30:18 PM

2.2mil dumped into Fleet Command and still not V.  ACK!

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 11:59:35 PM

It didn't go nearly as far as I'd hoped... but I guess being able to actually fly a covert ops and assault frigate is nice. Still insane numbers of support skills needed for them to be practical though.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Trigona
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:59 AM

I cannot see the point of the Echelon, this ship has no tank, how is that going to be useful? 

Regarding the skill points, I can now use artillery, T2 large in about 10 days which is really good
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 01:49:31 AM

Kira got full T2 A-HAC skills plus Acceleration Control V - I almost swapped AC V for Gallente Cruiser V but realised how pointless that would be (she has the other 3 races' cruisers at V).

My pure Minnie PvE pilot got AWU V and Drone Interfacing V - mostly because I'd put them off for so long that I felt bad about not doing them now while I had a chance.

The  Caldari PvE pilot got Medium  and Large energy Turrets V plus an early finish on Cruise missiles V.

Kira's SB alt Elena got Evasive maneuvering V - but she had stuff all learning skills trained.

Apart from that the 2 miners got more ancillery skills and my JF/Orca pilot scored Frigate V and Cruiser V to tidy up her skills.

One thing I wish CCP would let us do is remove/refund skills ourselves - I have things I wish I'd never trained and would love to move the points elsewhere.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 12:16:16 PM

I cannot see the point of the Echelon, this ship has no tank, how is that going to be useful? 

The point of the ship is that empire players like getting free shit with a new model even if it has no point, and it can't be useful if they go around undercutting the hugely complex industrial systems in eve by giving out free shit.

They can always do the noctis thing and relaunch it on a real ship in a few months.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 02:23:51 PM

If you get bored ships like that are good suicide gank targets, they pop easily and people tend to get really worked up over losing them.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 03:02:26 PM

Himo Amasacia, Go Crazy with 2,103,060 Unspent Skill Points and Have a Hacking Holiday

*flex*

Hic sunt dracones.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 05:47:57 PM

Ass frigs 5. Cause when you have like 25 mil in spaceship command, why not?

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 08:30:45 PM

Mezz Orla, Go Crazy with 5,476,000 Unspent Skill Points and Have a Hacking Holiday

And I don't even know what I would put them into!

- Viin
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 09:25:24 PM

FC V and Armour Warfare Spec V - Saved about 85 days of training.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #55 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:26 PM

Spec Mezz into perfect Corporation Management, because why not?
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 01:28:26 AM

Most of the skills for T2 mael on tgr (except I failed and put BS5 above large artillery spec :downs:), and zim further towards capswarm.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:10 AM

I've still only spent the skills on Teratoma Smith, to move him from Minmatar fast ships (like 18m in Spaceship Command) and gunnery-focussed to near-perfect Scorpion pilot.  I simply cannot decide on the rest.  I'm tempted to spend my supercarrier pilot on towards titans rather than fighter-bomber V, but I've had fuck all chance to use it yet so even that seems dubious.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 11:44:57 AM

They are doing yet another free 5 fay reactivation offer for unsubscribed accounts because of this. My stupid character names finally paid off from it too!

Gets Safe, Go Crazy with 1,695,295 Unspent Skill Points and Have a Hacking Holiday
Warping Away, Go Crazy with 1,551,551 Unspent Skill Points and Have a Hacking Holiday

Ohhhhh, I see.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 17, 2010, 01:47:25 PM

Christ, I apparently have 2,004,503 points to spend if I sign back up.

What could that get me!  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 04:09:32 PM

Best theoretical use would be Leadership skills, as those are Charisma-based and nobody re-specs to Charisma or bothers with implants.  But, shrug, I'm currently keeping my 900k points, until they iron out all the little bugs regarding SPs (with the API not showing them for example).
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #61 on: December 17, 2010, 06:33:21 PM

Fleet fit Scimitar pilot here  Woot!
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 17, 2010, 09:15:56 PM

Ok so I'm using the 5 free days to check stuff out and see if I feel like coming back to EVE.

I log in and I'm docked at C6Y.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ok, no big deal I'll just sell my shit and load a few things into my covops and see if I can sneak out.  Whoops! I'm an idiot and clicked undock.  swamp poop

So I'm stuck playing cat and mouse in a ratting Myrmidon (hooray! I still have safe spots!)  and actually manage to get to a neutral Blood Raider station.  So if I wanted to get rid of the rest my crap, can I just go pod myself and I'll pop back at C6Y? Or is it just a lost cause?

Edit: I think I know the answer already. Looks like my clone got kicked to empire.  *sigh* so long, loots.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:44:06 PM by Special J »
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 17, 2010, 11:20:47 PM

Yeah, dumped into Leadership stuff.  Armored combat 5/spec 4 and siege combat 5/spec 4.  There are enough people with better leadership stats out there to make it unlikely that I'll be needed for boosting in a major fleet, but for smaller gangs it could come in handy.  And it seemed wasteful to be heading for capitals without being able to fit gang boosters, given that equipping them is one of the features of capital stuff.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 03:35:03 AM

Thinking about it, I'd probably boost the skill that lets you install the modules that let you fit more gang boos modules. The potential of using carriers as de facto command ships has not been really explored.

After that, who knows.

Hic sunt dracones.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 06:33:33 AM

On my PvP character I put everything into the one category I've been ignoring for a long while - Navigation. Yesterday our fleet was hotdropped by titans and other supercapitals while moving between jump bridges and the only thing left to do was to burn into the control tower shields as titans were getting ready to one-shot us. Overheated my MWD and flew inside the POS shields in armor.

Token Armageddon lives yet again.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 09:51:23 AM

If I played, my maxed out navigation skills would be nice. It's something that helps all your ships, so its good.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 08:00:12 AM

Ok so I'm using the 5 free days to check stuff out and see if I feel like coming back to EVE.

I log in and I'm docked at C6Y.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ok, no big deal I'll just sell my shit and load a few things into my covops and see if I can sneak out.  Whoops! I'm an idiot and clicked undock.  swamp poop

So I'm stuck playing cat and mouse in a ratting Myrmidon (hooray! I still have safe spots!)  and actually manage to get to a neutral Blood Raider station.  So if I wanted to get rid of the rest my crap, can I just go pod myself and I'll pop back at C6Y? Or is it just a lost cause?

Edit: I think I know the answer already. Looks like my clone got kicked to empire.  *sigh* so long, loots.

You can contract your stuff from anywhere in Eve to sell the valuable stuff.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 09:24:22 AM

As you found out, the clone contracts for everyone were yanked when the station was taken. This means that if you have a JC there you can still jump to it but your medical clone contract will have been relocated to a NPC station.

If you want to sell the stuff, train the Marketing skill (level 1 will do if you don't mind having to be in the same system, level 3 will let you do it from pretty much anywhere in Delve) and fly back there in a covops. Cloak up at a safespot in any system in range and sell the stuff remotely.

Last time I went through Delve it was pretty deserted so you shouldn't have any issues getting a fast cloaky ship across there.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 02:13:12 PM

The problem you will have isn't so much listing your crap on the market, the problem will be that IT don't seem to use the Delve market (or play EVE) so you won't have many buyers.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Learning skills diaf  
Jump to: