Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:29:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Learning skills diaf 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Learning skills diaf  (Read 20555 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

on: November 25, 2010, 04:56:30 AM

Learnign skills nuked from orbit.

Good news for pretty much everyone who hasn't just dropped 20m isk to inject a full set of learning skill books. You'll get a refund of the SPs you currently have in all Learning skills, you'll get reimbursed for any books you haven't injected yet and you'll have a permanent bonus of +12 to each stat.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:19:45 AM

A good move. My alt is currently hard at work on her learning skills while the 100% bonus is there. Though that will quickly become tricky for new players given the books are no longer available.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 05:50:12 AM

BUT...BUT... THE X MONTHS OF LEARNING LEANING SKILLS WHILE DOING ANYTHING IS REALLY NECESSARY TO BRING OUT THE TRUE SKILLED PLAYERS AS OPPOSED TO THE CLUELESS NOOOBS!

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:01:04 AM

BUT...BUT... THE X MONTHS OF LEARNING LEANING SKILLS WHILE DOING ANYTHING IS REALLY NECESSARY TO BRING OUT THE TRUE SKILLED PLAYERS AS OPPOSED TO THE CLUELESS NOOOBS!

Bizarrely enough that exact argument has emerged with different flavours of outrage and poor spelling on the Eve-O thread discussing this.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:18:50 AM

They are "Monitoring feedback for any serious concerns" on this? Only an image macro I got from politics is appropriate.

This should have done oh, 3 years ago.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:03:25 AM

The only thing that worries me is that one of my characters is an old school, never remapped character, with only 3 points in charisma. I wonder if they are going to fuck up his point distributions.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:13 AM

Bizarrely enough that exact argument has emerged with different flavours of outrage and poor spelling on the Eve-O thread discussing this.

I was certain it would. I guess I know the eve playerbase too well.

Hic sunt dracones.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:33 AM

Damn, a little over 2mil skill points to redistribute as I want on 5-6 characters....best Christmas present ever.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30:18 AM

That almost makes me want to resub my character, almostOhhhhh, I see.

I love the learning skills from a "well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!" failure perspective. Where they actually ended up doing the exact opposite of their intended goal.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:59 PM

The only thing that worries me is that one of my characters is an old school, never remapped character, with only 3 points in charisma. I wonder if they are going to fuck up his point distributions.

No, he will just get +12 to each of his stats so his Charisma will now be 15 instead of 3 but you won't lose any of the points in other stats.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 01:55:08 PM

I was certain it would. I guess I know the eve playerbase too well.

Well, if a player is scared off by learning skills they certainly don't have the stomach for the thrill that is The Gatecamps, The POS-bashes, The Docking-Games, The Crash-A-Node Lagfests that is Eve PVP.

That's not to say Eve-elitist don't like fun. That's why one plays World of Tanks Beta during downtime.

Cala
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:58:55 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 03:13:05 PM

That's not to say Eve-elitist don't like fun. That's why one plays World of Tanks Beta during downtime combat.

Cala

Minor correction  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:01:49 PM

Oh joy, CCP just send me another "5 days free!!!!" email telling me all about this in their "PLEASE COME BAAAACK!" messege.  swamp poop

In all seriousness if they want to ac tually retain people ditching all the frigging useless time sink skills is the way to go. Advanced spaceship command fucking 5 for example, the most useless skill on the planet, its only function is add another 3 months to the time it takes to fly capital ships in a vain attempt to reduce the people flying them. Another on my list would be engineering and electronics. Those are effectively time sink skills. Yeah they give more fitting ability really its the same amount of power every ship should have anyway, it just adds another 2 weeks to the training to no real benefit. Its stuff you have to have before you actually start specializing in the direction you want to go.

Hic sunt dracones.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 03:37:52 PM

you'll have a permanent bonus of +12 to each stat.

What does this translate to, 22 per stat?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 03:40:27 PM

17 per stat is the new minimum.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:00 PM

Damn, my alt has max learning skills and my main has Max -1
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 11:09:53 PM

I cant remember now, but I think my main is max -1... Can't remember now, and don't feel like dling for the 5 free days to check it out.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 10:38:40 AM

I have all the Learning skills to 4 and my guesstimate is a little over 900,000 SP to redistribute.   My sub ran out on the 23rd so I'm waiting for the "re-sub deal" email to come.

I'm a trifle annoyed they aren't reimbursing used skills books, for a new character those are a substantial sum of money. 
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 10:45:16 AM

I have all the Learning skills to 4 and my guesstimate is a little over 900,000 SP to redistribute.   My sub ran out on the 23rd so I'm waiting for the "re-sub deal" email to come.

I'm a trifle annoyed they aren't reimbursing used skills books, for a new character those are a substantial sum of money. 

Reimbursing injected books adds a huge additional layer of complication to the process which is already tight for QA deadlines. Also the reimbursement would add a huge amount of cash into the Eve economy which their numbers guy told them was a bad thing. For very, very new guys who have paid for their own advanced learning books it's bad. For those who were given them or for anyone who's been playing more than a month it's not such a big deal.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 11:37:33 AM

Quote from: EVE
Secondly, it would mean dumping ~16 trillion ISK into the economy, and CCP EyjoG (our economist and qualified numbers-guy) nearly had a heart attack when we asked if this might be a problem. (He also said "don't do that, please" once he'd recovered from the shock.)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 11:56:38 AM

Well, then give a bonus amount in SP then.  Because right now they took something of value from some of the players, then gave it away free to all of the players.  This "solution" lacks basic fairness.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 12:14:11 PM

Fairness? In my Eve?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 01:43:35 PM

This "solution" lacks basic fairness.

2 weeks after the solution no-one will care about fairness.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 03:12:08 AM

This is a smidge over 20 million in total.

Run a sanctum.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 08:15:01 AM

Yes, for an established player with a net worth North of 1 Billion, 20 million is an almost insignificant amount.  But for a starting player they might have spent the better part of a month earning that money.  All I'm asking for is they be compensated in some way.  They could give refunds based on net worth, got 100 mil or less you get a refund, if not, sorry charlie.

Besides I'm not buying the argument the economy of Eve would be greatly affected by giving back 20 mil to a good chunk of the players.  Once the SP get redistributed there will be a run on ships as players suddenly qualify for new ship types.  Ship prices for the good stuff will spike for a while, all the extra money will be sucked up like a sponge.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 08:51:01 AM

The argument is you've already gotten use out of them.

On the positive side the 6 advanced memory books I bought immediately after the news are selling for 3x value now. Probably should have bought more but didn't really think people would be that keen and the window was so small.

CCP quite likes things being expensive (see implants), it just encourages you to buy PLEX.

- Simond
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:57 AM

CCP quite likes things being expensive (see implants), it just encourages you to buy PLEX.

Ah, thanks for bringing that up.  The REAL reason they didn't want extra money in the economy.  I should have figured that out on my own.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 09:06:14 AM

Yes, for an established player with a net worth North of 1 Billion, 20 million is an almost insignificant amount.  But for a starting player they might have spent the better part of a month earning that money.  All I'm asking for is they be compensated in some way.  They could give refunds based on net worth, got 100 mil or less you get a refund, if not, sorry charlie.

Besides I'm not buying the argument the economy of Eve would be greatly affected by giving back 20 mil to a good chunk of the players.  Once the SP get redistributed there will be a run on ships as players suddenly qualify for new ship types.  Ship prices for the good stuff will spike for a while, all the extra money will be sucked up like a sponge.

If you post your eve name I will send you 25mil isk when I get home from work if it gets you to quit crying about it in this thread.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:12:45 AM by Thrawn »

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 09:18:53 AM

Yes, for an established player with a net worth North of 1 Billion, 20 million is an almost insignificant amount.  But for a starting player they might have spent the better part of a month earning that money.  All I'm asking for is they be compensated in some way.  They could give refunds based on net worth, got 100 mil or less you get a refund, if not, sorry charlie.

Besides I'm not buying the argument the economy of Eve would be greatly affected by giving back 20 mil to a good chunk of the players.  Once the SP get redistributed there will be a run on ships as players suddenly qualify for new ship types.  Ship prices for the good stuff will spike for a while, all the extra money will be sucked up like a sponge.

If you post your eve name I will send you 25mil isk when I get home from work if it gets you to quit crying about it in this thread.
smiley
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 01:44:57 PM

smiley

From your posting I'd be guessing you haven't done the newbie thing in several years. The changes they have made have put way more money in the hands of new players. The newbie arc missions pay out huge amounts of isk compared to a normal L1 mission and can be done in mostly up to a frigate, with minimal skills. I ran a new char up on a second account last year without having my main subscribed and didn't need to skrimp or save at all when I hit the advanced learning skills.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 11:57:47 PM

That's not my experience. Without handouts you'll need to grind or be gifted money for the full set of advanced learning skill books plus the books you need to get better mission boats (and the ships themselves) and the low level missions aren't terribly rewarding. And I did the tutorial 4 times over.

I ended up PLEX'ing for implants, the rest of the books and my first battlecruiser and would probably do so again if I was starting fresh.

- Simond
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:16 AM

So ask a corpmate to run a sanctum.

Problem solved. I am a problem solver you see.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:29 PM

Were you in our corporation when that happened, Kageru?  Because if you were, you really should have said something and we would have given you the skillbook isk.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:51 PM

Brolan you realize you're getting a bunch of extra skill points for free out of this deal, right? That is unless your noob self has managed to sink over 5m SP into learning already. Consider the skillbook cost a fair trade for the extra 5-20 SP you'll likely be getting. Quit bitching about a good thing.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 11:37:48 PM

I started playing while Goonwaffe was in a recruitment freeze.

- Simond
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Learning skills diaf  
Jump to: