Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:44:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585200 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #2555 on: February 28, 2018, 07:57:55 PM

Is there a market for the non-miniature components of these boardgames?  I'd pledge for some of the CMON boardgames if I could sell off the card components for even a modest amount.

i have no idea but i doubt it

do you just paint the minis?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2556 on: March 01, 2018, 08:21:35 AM

Is there a market for the non-miniature components of these boardgames?  I'd pledge for some of the CMON boardgames if I could sell off the card components for even a modest amount.
A slow moving and cheap market.  If you spent $150 on the Rising Sun Kickstarter to get the game and expansion, you could likely sell the rules, cardboard pieces, etc... for ~$20 - eventually. I am making 'Travel' versions of a few of my games for taking on trips.  I can see someone that owns the game wanting the thin parts for a second copy of the game they can use without the minis.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #2557 on: March 01, 2018, 08:44:52 AM

A slow moving and cheap market.  If you spent $150 on the Rising Sun Kickstarter to get the game and expansion, you could likely sell the rules, cardboard pieces, etc... for ~$20 - eventually. I am making 'Travel' versions of a few of my games for taking on trips.  I can see someone that owns the game wanting the thin parts for a second copy of the game they can use without the minis.

I would actually be interested in selling off the Rising Sun rules, board and cards.  I'd sell it for less than $20 even, as long as shipping is covered.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #2558 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:54 AM

Is there a market for the non-miniature components of these boardgames?  I'd pledge for some of the CMON boardgames if I could sell off the card components for even a modest amount.

i have no idea but i doubt it

do you just paint the minis?

I certainly think about painting the minis...  But, generally I will use the minis for other games, like Frostgrave or something like that.  We prefer to play co op boardgames like Shadows of Brimstone, and we'll use other games' miniatures because they are usually superior to the ones that came in the box.   I have no use for the rule sets for competitive games or complicated games.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:50:12 AM by BobtheSomething »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2559 on: March 01, 2018, 09:31:41 AM

That’s an interesting demographic for these games.  I know multiple people who kickstart these miniature heavy games just to gain things for their DnD/PnP/Whatever games.  When I was actually playing 5E with a group of people in Moscow, I got Swords and Sorcery, and to be honest, the Conan Board game (you got a shit ton of miniatures for the price) for similar reasons.  I unfortunately haven’t touched pen and paper rpg’s since the moscow group broke up, so I kind of need to get people into the games.  But you are not alone in the miniature only kickstarter field.

I’m hoping if I can find a reliable Thai painter to paint a lot of my shit for a reasonable price, so it wont be all for naught.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #2560 on: March 01, 2018, 12:22:00 PM

Fun Again is going out of business. Their server already crashed. Huge sale.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2561 on: March 01, 2018, 03:52:36 PM

Yeah - I casually tried to pick up 2 games... I finally got the first in my cart after 45 minutes.  The second wasn't available, and by the time I figured that out, the first game was gone.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2562 on: March 01, 2018, 04:39:10 PM

I spent a few hours fighting it, trying to get Scythe, but was never able to make it to checkout; once it asked for my shipping choice it shit the bed after that.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2563 on: March 01, 2018, 06:18:13 PM

That's disappointing. They were my go to online retailer. Anyone have suggestions for a replacement that is not 1) Coolstuffinc, which uses terrible non-biodegradable packing materials or 2) Miniature's Market, which tends to run out of stock super quickly and has cluttered new release lists?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2564 on: March 01, 2018, 07:28:26 PM

Was able to snag one of the Scythe expansions and some others.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2565 on: March 01, 2018, 09:09:41 PM

I use CSI.  There are reliable and stupid cheap.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2566 on: March 01, 2018, 09:12:05 PM

Ok, found a guy in Northern Thailand, only about 2 hours away, that pro-paints miniatures.  Inquired about him painting my Kingdom Death stuff.  Sent him links to the first few sets of survivors, and the White Lion/Screaming antelope.  He quoted me $10 per human model, and about $16 per white lion/Antelope.  How does this compare to commission prices in the US?

These are examples of his work he linked me:
https://www.facebook.com/itthi.mongkolwat/media_set?set=a.982543018462540.1073741876.100001205524928&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/itthi.mongkolwat/media_set?set=a.878742662175910.1073741874.100001205524928&type=3

Any thoughts?  I've never really looked into this stuff until now.

-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #2567 on: March 01, 2018, 09:29:58 PM

what
schild
Administrator

Reply #2568 on: March 01, 2018, 09:30:14 PM

that is stupid fucking cheap
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2569 on: March 01, 2018, 09:41:15 PM

I’ll probably just let him do a trial run on my prologue survivors and white lion to see how he actually does.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:58:42 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2570 on: March 01, 2018, 10:14:10 PM

I use CSI.  There are reliable and stupid cheap.

Yeah, I used to, but got sick of overflowing my trash can with styrofoam peanuts every week </first world problems>
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2571 on: March 01, 2018, 10:44:46 PM

AARG. 20 miutes hunting through the dreggs of what is left - to reach the checkout and find out they don't ship out of the US.

Oh well.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2572 on: March 02, 2018, 06:19:27 PM

This sucks.  They were always a little expensive for an online company, but they often had things that were rare or had things earlier than other companies. 
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2573 on: March 02, 2018, 07:59:21 PM

This sucks.  They were always a little expensive for an online company, but they often had things that were rare or had things earlier than other companies. 

Yeah, I don't know any other store that was as good about getting games from Essen.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2574 on: March 02, 2018, 08:53:09 PM

that is stupid fucking cheap
Red flags all over, but I don't know the market here, let alone over there. Looks like shit painting, I'd prime black and hit them with a zenithal white before letting someone just slap some base coats and wash on them.

Ask on the night market, might be able to find someone on there or at least do some info gathering. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1287754827958340/
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2575 on: March 03, 2018, 02:54:32 AM

I'm going to come by the shop first to look at his stuff, and if it does look good, test him on the starting survivors first to see if he fucks them up.

Why do you say it looks like shit painting?  Most of the shots look pretty pro level to me.  Mind you, I'm well aware its hard to judge his work from photos and it could be shit in reality.  But so far seems like a good prospect.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:11:22 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2576 on: March 03, 2018, 03:17:21 AM

I played some 18CZ today, to continue my 18xx trend. I don't think I can go back to other boardgames*

* Unless constrained by time, a need to drink alcohol, or play with family.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2577 on: March 03, 2018, 08:04:16 AM

Why do you say it looks like shit painting?  Most of the shots look pretty pro level to me.  Mind you, I'm well aware its hard to judge his work from photos and it could be shit in reality.  But so far seems like a good prospect.
There is some competent low intermediate or talented beginner level freehand work with the script. Those are what an actual professional would call 'low tabletop' (thus the low price, I'd imagine). Very basic color blocking, minimal or no shading or highlights. It does look like clean paintwork, so if you just want painted minis at a low price, and can trust the guy not to disappear with your stuff, it's probably worth a shot. Mine look a bajillion times better, but I've finished a grand total of one, so.....

"Pro-painted" is a red-flag term amongst professional painters, a running joke on ebay listings. They seldom are professionally painted.

edited to add: I'm wicked snobby about mini painting and don't think I've very good at it, because I am friends with folks like Scott Hockley (who literally wrote the guides on painting Kingdom Death minis) and Jessica Rich (who has won multiple international competitions with Kingdom Death models). So there's my bias :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:06:54 AM by Sky »
schild
Administrator

Reply #2578 on: March 03, 2018, 09:24:15 AM

ok

not to be a fucking total dick

but being arrogant about mini-painting is a really fucking strange look

it's a subgenre of a subgenre of a subgenre of nerddom
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2579 on: March 03, 2018, 10:13:37 AM

Note, the guy never described himself as a pro-painter, I did.  Because the work he presented looked at that level.  As I said, I'll see how his stuff looks when I come by in person, but the phrasing is mine, not his.

-Stephen Colbert
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2580 on: March 04, 2018, 06:24:08 AM

Looks fine to me, and I guess you get what you pay for.

He's not paying enough to get actual professional painting done by people who win awards and shit - just wants competently-painted minis, without having to dump so much money or (more valuable at this point) time into doing it himself.

They may not be perfect god-tier paint jobs...but they look good enough.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2581 on: March 04, 2018, 07:17:48 PM

Bought and played Sagrada a few times.  It looks stunning, and I enjoy the game.  It feels to me in the same vein as the Splendor or Castles of Burgundy type games where you are doing something for your little area and whatever the other guys/gals are doing really doesn't matter all that much.  So it won't be fun for some folks, but it's got a relaxing feel that I dig.  Definitely a multiplayer solitaire game.

Ends up looking nice, though.

Also, good for small people, although can be a little frustrating with very young players.  Probably 8-9 is where you can start this one, I think.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2582 on: March 06, 2018, 07:09:17 AM

Really? I found that when we played there was still a fair amount of paying attention to your opponent's boards. Trying to figure out what your opponent wants to take can make a huge difference on the order of your drafts.
Mind you, we are a little over the top when it comes to playing games competitively.

Its a good, quick game, that still requires some thought to play well.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2583 on: March 06, 2018, 08:37:34 PM

Yeah, you could be dickish in the draft, but sometimes that will hurt you more than your opponent.  It may come up 2-3 times per game that you can take something they want.  Certainly there's no direct interaction though. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2584 on: March 09, 2018, 11:35:51 PM

In my experience the single most important thing in winning at Sagrada is working out which colour your opponent has as a private goal and then drafting any 5s and 6s in their colour.

Ymmv.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2585 on: March 11, 2018, 01:55:11 PM

2017 BoardGameGeek Winners & Runners Up

Board Game of the Year
Winner - Gloomhaven
Runner Up - Azul
Runner Up - The 7th Continent

2-Player Game
Winner - Codenames Duet
Runner Up - Caverna: Cave vs Cave
Runner Up - The Fox in the Forest

Artwork & Presentation
Winner - Photosynthesis
Runner Up - Azul
Runner Up - Sagrada

Card Game
Winner - Century: Spice Road
Runner Up - Clank! In! Space!
Runner Up - Ethnos

Cooperative Game
Winner - Gloomhaven
Runner Up - Pandemic Legacy: Season 2

Expansion
Winner - Scythe: The Wind Gambit
Runner Up - Terraforming Mars: Hellas & Elysium
Runner Up - Terraforming Mars: Venus Next

Family Game
Winner - Azul
Runner Up - Sagrada
Runner Up - Century: Spice Road

Innovative
Winner - Gloomhaven
Runner Up - Magic Maze

Party Game
Winner - Werewords
Runner Up - Spyfall 2
Runner Up - Tortuga 1667

Print & Play
Winner - My Little Scythe
Runner Up - A4 Quest
Runner Up - Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game (Second edition)

Solo Game
Winner - Gloomhaven
Runner Up - Nemo's War (second edition)

Strategy Game
Winner - Gloomhaven
Runner Up - Clans of Caledonia
Runner Up - Azul

Thematic Game
Winner - Gloomhaven
Runner Up - This War of Mine: The Board Game

Wargame
Winner - 878: Vikings – Invasions of England
Runner Up - Time of Crisis
Runner Up - Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain

Best Podcast
Winner - Rahdo Talks Through
Runner Up - Ludology
Runner Up - Heavy Cardboard

Best Board Game App
Winner - Through the Ages
Runner Up - Onirim
Runner Up - Race for the Galaxy

I guess I should actually play Gloomhaven at some point.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2586 on: March 11, 2018, 04:53:55 PM

No surprise that Gloomhaven was going to sweep it. I had hoped that Spirit Island would place in cooperative at least. I had forgotten the hype train for 7th Continent was that strong.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2587 on: March 11, 2018, 05:08:01 PM

Thematic game should've gone to cave evil warcults

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2588 on: March 11, 2018, 05:44:42 PM

Thematic game should've gone to cave evil warcults

Might have helped if it had actually released in 2017... or if more than a couple dozen people had rated it... or if it had been a completely different game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2589 on: March 11, 2018, 06:58:51 PM

boardgame years bleed together

i just find anything fantasy or tangentially fantasy to be a complete failure of theme as it's the easiest thing imaginable
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: