Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585201 times)
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1400 on: April 25, 2014, 04:55:35 PM

Yeah, infact I'm eager to play both Letters from Whitechapel and Kingsburg, both made by italians and, from what I've read and seen, not overly complex but still entertaining.

I liked Kingsburg a lot more than I was expecting to, considering I'm a low randomness sort of guy and it's a dice rolling game. There's enough strategy to make it interesting though. Still have the expansion lying around unplayed also. Oh for infinite time or clones of myself so I could play boardgames whenever I want.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1401 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:36 AM

By the way, there is a java version of kingsburg (+ expansion):

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1041492/what-happened-to-the-java-version-download-link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jaxa8vxcrwywew6/22jrauCwMi

Both versions included in the second link are safe and legit, although only the second one seems to be working once the program is executed.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1402 on: April 30, 2014, 06:08:38 PM

Played a few games of Panic on Wall Street! last night and I can highly recommend it. It plays 3-11 as a social energetic game with a bit of depth to it. It says it can play 3-11, but it's really a 4 person plus game with a lot of activity and energy. It's social and random enough to engage people outside of more serious board game circles, but it has enough depth to it to keep everyone interested. I only played with 5 and 6 players, but would love to give it a go with 11.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1403 on: April 30, 2014, 07:04:33 PM

Tonight I played Biblios, Funkenschlag (aka "Power Grid"), Kragmortha and Perudo....Will talk a little more about them tomorrow (had fun with all of them anyway)...Now it's almost 4am over here  ACK!
----

EDIT:

So, Biblios: it seems a very nice filler (and entry) card game to me, with a good auction phase. We were 4 players: I guess auction loses some of its attractiveness when there are only two players (but I guess that's true for any game with auctions: still perfectly playable, but going back and forth with a 2-player auction seems a bit dull)

Funkenschlag/Power Grid: we played a 5-players game. You know, when the guy who proposed it opened the box, I went all:

Sure I would despise it; then, you start playing, and,  at least that was my experience, you're just impressed about how smoothly the mechanics and the phases are integrated with each other, and really how...well, simple it is no matter it's a pure german game. I finished last because I wasn't aggressive enough throughout the game. But again, very nice auction phase, and while I suck at maths, the fact I had to keep at least a little track in advance of how I could spend my money and how the others would do it didn't particularly bore me.
I guess there is a reason why this game is ranked so high on BGG :). It would be nice to introduce more non-gamers to it, but surely, when it comes to the "aesthetics" factor, it's no Seasons  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Kragmortha : italian game. I don't even... ACK! ACK!  Out of curiosity, have any of you ever tried this?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? . Potentially, it's the ultimate party filler game,  and fantastic for kids (as well as adults who don't take things too seriously :P). Basically, while you are attempting to reach the Dark Lord's desk in search of powerful spells, you must avoid his "touch", or you'll be hit by his terrifying "glances", which are hilarious penalties the player must suffer throughout the game, such like: stay with your mouth open for the entire game; or, you can't pronounce particular words (decided by the other players) during the rest of the game; or, you have to play the rest of the game with your chin on the table and on the "glance" card, and many more.
If you fail to comply with any of that, you immediately get another malicious "glance". Anyway, we were all ROFLING  (and for the record, I got the "stay with your mouth open" glance card).

Liar's Dice/Perudo: I thought I never played this one, but probably did when I was a kid. Anyways, always entertaining, perfect filler dice game.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:37:24 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1404 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:48 PM

I like Power Grid, but it's better with poker chips.  We bought these from meeplesource. I loathe paper money in games.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1405 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:08 PM

I love a bit of paper money, in the right game.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1406 on: May 02, 2014, 03:02:46 AM

I like Power Grid, but it's better with poker chips.  We bought these from meeplesource. I loathe paper money in games.

Ok, but the (poor quality) paper money of Power Grid perfectly aligns with the depressing and gloomy theme of the game  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1407 on: May 02, 2014, 08:31:24 AM

How could you play Power Grid with poker chips? Half the key to the game is hiding how much money you have left from your opponents. Paper money is much easier to hide.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #1408 on: May 02, 2014, 08:32:47 AM

Obviously you aren't aware of the extensive Softcore Power Grid movement happening in gaming. Basically, any game where you have to hide money, you don't. It's pretty intense.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1409 on: May 02, 2014, 01:57:44 PM

Obviously you aren't aware of the extensive Softcore Power Grid movement happening in gaming. Basically, any game where you have to hide money, you don't. It's pretty intense.

I've played Catan that way with friends and find it vastly preferable to keeping the hands hidden.  Eliminates the memory game aspect of remembering who's got what, so you can make smart plays and trade offers without having to pay attention in between turns.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1410 on: May 02, 2014, 03:12:56 PM

That's how I learned Catan and I vastly prefer it. Forcing players to remember public information in a strategy game is bad design to begin with, but it's particularly egregious in Catan because it leads to all the "Does anybody have any stone?" "No Bob, we still haven't rolled any fucking stone since the last three times you asked that."
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1411 on: May 02, 2014, 03:52:04 PM

Lying and bluffing and ripping others off is half the fun/skill of Catan. Why would you make it even worse by playing with open information...

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1412 on: May 02, 2014, 11:11:38 PM

Spoiling for an argument aside, you can hide anything at the table.   
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1413 on: May 03, 2014, 01:25:09 AM

No I'm not spoiling for an argument. I like playing that way. And of course you can hide information, most people don't have total recall.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1414 on: May 03, 2014, 08:19:22 AM

Almost every very memorable moment I've ever had in Catan would have never happened if everyone had open hands.  It makes so much stuff, like the monopoly card for example, just boring I would assume.  I never even considered it an option.  But I guess some people put money on free parking too, so meh.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1415 on: May 03, 2014, 08:59:01 AM

See I ran out of memorable moments in Catan a long time ago, so now if I'm playing Catan I want to be drinking, talking, and/or watching a movie at the same time.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1416 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:35 AM

Ordered "Twilight Struggle" Deluxe version, should arrive in 2-3 days. Can't wait, heard and read great things about it. For now I'll just read the online manual.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1417 on: May 03, 2014, 10:10:09 AM

Basically, it's the best game ever, and all those neckbeards that voted it to the top of BGG are absolutely correct.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1418 on: May 03, 2014, 11:39:37 AM

Basically, it's the best game ever, and all those neckbeards that voted it to the top of BGG are absolutely correct.

Agreed 100%.  It's one of only five games out of 60ish I've rated 9 or higher on BGG.

Also for any that didn't know, GMT Games is having a 50% off up to 3 games sale with promo code SS2014

Was tempted...until I realized that 3 games 50% off + shipping was in most cases only like $10 off what I'd pay for them at CSI if I bought them anyways.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:20:24 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1419 on: May 03, 2014, 04:33:52 PM

I think I'll play it only with my father, who already saw some pics and a short walkthrough online and seems very interested  (also because he's quite passionate about WWII history). But, after all, he's also one of those huge wargaming neckbeard himself (and I'm talking about endless, multi-day Advanced Squad Leader tournaments  ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1420 on: May 03, 2014, 10:45:22 PM

Almost every very memorable moment I've ever had in Catan would have never happened if everyone had open hands.  It makes so much stuff, like the monopoly card for example, just boring I would assume.  I never even considered it an option.  But I guess some people put money on free parking too, so meh.
Resources stay face-up. You know, the stuff that's 100% open information anyway. Face-up development cards would be awful.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1421 on: May 03, 2014, 11:08:30 PM

Resources stay face-up. You know, the stuff that's 100% open information anyway. Face-up development cards would be awful.

I had never heard of playing Catan with the resources in everyone's hand as open information before this thread.  I still think it sounds horrible.  I could steal exactly what I wanted with the Robber, I could hold onto my Monopoly until I saw exactly what I needed in everyone's hands.  But I also haven't played it in well over a year so maybe I'm remembering stuff wrong.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1422 on: May 03, 2014, 11:29:36 PM

I don't think you're misremembering. It's just that if one were to play Catan optimally, they would always know what's in everybody's hand anyway because all gains/expenditures are public and you can just write that stuff down. But obviously doing that is no fun because it holds up the game and distracts you from tableside banter. I'm a naturally competitively-minded player so asking me to give up optimal play for the sake of fun rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's easy to have both with one simple rules change. It would be different for someone less bothered by that particular cognitive dissonance.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1423 on: May 04, 2014, 04:29:23 PM

I don't think you're misremembering. It's just that if one were to play Catan optimally, they would always know what's in everybody's hand anyway because all gains/expenditures are public and you can just write that stuff down. But obviously doing that is no fun because it holds up the game and distracts you from tableside banter. I'm a naturally competitively-minded player so asking me to give up optimal play for the sake of fun rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's easy to have both with one simple rules change. It would be different for someone less bothered by that particular cognitive dissonance.

Do you disallow anything but 1-to-1 trades between people in order to stop those with better sales pitches and stronger personalities from having an advantage in dealing with others? Or have a chart listing what each dice roll probability is in a percentage against a list of what the other players will gain from said dice roll?

Memory is a skill. Develop your memory if you want to play optimally. Or just accept that it's one of many skills that is tested in the game and that you're probably not playing optimally anyway, and it's just the most in your face example.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1424 on: May 04, 2014, 06:07:43 PM

House rules are house rules.  I perfer catan with a deck of dice.  Who gives a fuck?

"Me am play gods"
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1425 on: May 05, 2014, 02:40:52 AM

House rules are house rules.  I perfer catan with a deck of dice.  Who gives a fuck?

The 36 card deck of dice is the expansion/accessory that most improves Catan in my opinion.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1426 on: May 05, 2014, 07:31:30 AM

I prefer the deck of dice in Catan as well, but my friends don't because they are amused by how pissy I get when the dice go against me.

The group of guys I play board games with are just so competitive that any thought of open resources or money would just be laughed off. We take pride in our ability to read one another, remember the little details (we would never allow writing shit down), track things in our heads, etc. I get that many people think that is wrong/not fun. We enjoy it though.

Though I will note, our more casual board game friends hate playing Catan or Powergrid with us. So when they are around, we play other games.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1427 on: May 05, 2014, 10:54:15 AM

The 36 card deck of dice is the expansion/accessory that most improves Catan in my opinion.

Where can you find one of these?

*edit * Ah ha - https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/dice-cards although yuck to it wouldn't even ship for almost 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:56:37 AM by Thrawn »

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1428 on: May 05, 2014, 12:56:02 PM

Not the one I was thinking of, but it would work. It looks like the one I have has been out of print for some time. It also had some event cards that I don't feel added much to the game.

Honestly, this really wouldn't be hard to DIY at home to see if you like it, if you don't mind ugliness. Just take a sharpie to a deck of playing cards. Done. If you like it, you've got a temporary deck o' dice while you're waiting for yours to ship. If you don't, you're out a deck of cards and 15 minutes of your life.

Or solve it with technology. Looks like there's an Android App. I'm sure there's one floating around the mac appstore also.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1429 on: May 05, 2014, 04:49:09 PM

Not the one I was thinking of, but it would work. It looks like the one I have has been out of print for some time. It also had some event cards that I don't feel added much to the game.

Honestly, this really wouldn't be hard to DIY at home to see if you like it, if you don't mind ugliness. Just take a sharpie to a deck of playing cards. Done. If you like it, you've got a temporary deck o' dice while you're waiting for yours to ship. If you don't, you're out a deck of cards and 15 minutes of your life.

Or solve it with technology. Looks like there's an Android App. I'm sure there's one floating around the mac appstore also.

I don't get the rationale behind using a 'deck of dice'? Can you explain? Surely it just makes it even easier for players who are good at working out probability to dominate and reduces the significance of trading in the game?
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1430 on: May 05, 2014, 08:05:13 PM

I dont get the rationale behind using a 'deck of dice'? Can you explain? Surely it just makes it even easier for players who are good at working out probability to dominate and reduces the significance of trading in the game?

It doesn't really operate in mysterious ways. It just ensures that you get a bell curve distribution (or as close as you can manage if you don't "roll" a factor of 36 times). As someone who once sat through a Catan game never once harvesting from an 8 terrain tile while watching someone else seemingly get their 11 every other turn, I appreciate this, but as I've said over and over again, I appreciate anything that reduces the randomness in a game.

I wouldn't say it makes it even easier for people who are good at working out probability. Catan already prints the probabilities right on the chits anyway, so it's not like this is reducing some element of skill from the game, it's just making sure that the universe can't throw you a gigantic middle finger despite you making sound decisions.

As for trading, I can't really comment. Back when I was actually willing to play Catan and it's variants, I was playing with a lot of people of the mindset "Oh, no, I'm not going to trade with you. You always win", so my perception on the trading aspect of Catan is a bit skewed regardless.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1431 on: May 05, 2014, 08:41:20 PM

Yeah, so it would make it so those with good memories of what has been 'rolled' and decent enough math to work out what is left to come will have a significant advantage compared to those who just go from basic 2D6 probabilities with real dice, no? Which they could in then use to work out what resources are likely to come up in the next turns and trade accordingly.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1432 on: May 06, 2014, 01:45:15 AM

Yeah, so it would make it so those with good memories of what has been 'rolled' and decent enough math to work out what is left to come will have a significant advantage compared to those who just go from basic 2D6 probabilities with real dice, no? Which they could in then use to work out what resources are likely to come up in the next turns and trade accordingly.

Theoretically, yes. If you have a perfect memory, you'll have an advantage with a deck o' dice that you wouldn't with 2d6, steadily more of one as you come up closer to the end of the deck, obviously. I haven't been willing to play Catan in over a decade at this point, so my memory is hazy, but my recollection is that this mattered less for trading than for robber placement. Like I alluded to previously though, my group's trading dynamic was degenerate. Your group's mileage may vary.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1433 on: May 15, 2014, 08:27:20 AM

Vlad Achavt...Vlaad Tchavalt.....VLAADA Chvātil's "Through The Ages: A Story of Civilization" is coming soon to BGA (Boardgame Arena), along with turn-based mode:

http://forum.boardgamearena.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4395
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:31:55 AM by Lucas »

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1434 on: May 15, 2014, 10:51:55 AM

The recommendation is to just insert a trigger card in the bottom 20% of the deck, and shuffle when you hit it. Not perfect, but you still get a decent curve and reduce the effectiveness of card counting.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: