Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585186 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #1190 on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:44 PM

Ascension is great! It's like Magic but with only card drawing and casting math.

It's better than Hearthstone, that's for fucking sure. And Boss Monster (and Domion, fuck Dominion).
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: December 11, 2013, 10:25:35 PM

I've only played the app version, but there's something decidedly unfun about it for me. Not sure exactly what it is.

I think I'll keep up with the tradition this year and buy another board game for my family for christmas - a selfish tradition but so what. Now I just need to decide what. Hard to find the proper path between not too boring but not too technical.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1192 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:34 AM

Opera! It's basically a low level spreadsheet in Italian clothing.

I still think, flawed as it is, anyone who plays a lot of 1v1 games should own A Few Acres of Snow.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1193 on: December 12, 2013, 10:26:20 AM

Thanks for the opinions.  Though, I like Dominion! 

I ultimately didn't like the Pathfinder card game and won't be continuing to play it.  However, I'm stuck on the persistence of the character between sessions.  I really like that concept a lot.  Does Descent offer character persistence?    Ravenloft doesn't. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1194 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:49 AM

Yeah Descent has campaigns.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: December 12, 2013, 01:03:36 PM

It's better than Hearthstone, that's for fucking sure. And Boss Monster (and Domion, fuck Dominion).

Playing solitaire, war, or rock, paper, scissors is probably better than Boss Monster.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1196 on: December 13, 2013, 09:19:53 PM

A Few Acres of Snow is great.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: December 21, 2013, 11:28:40 PM

Android: Netrunner. Good?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1198 on: December 22, 2013, 01:43:52 AM

Netrunner is another game where you should just be playing Magic.

Edit: You want good? I believe Omen: Reign of War is available right now. It's the best not-Magic-but-still-basically-Magic game I've played. The designer was a competitive Magic player, and it shows. The instructions are mildly shitty, but the game is absolutely superb and that version is wonderful. The art is some of the best in the industry. Oh, and the game is cheap and you'll probably never be able to get it again.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:41 AM

Eh, it didn't sound especially magic like. I liked the asymmetric element, plus I have no desire for a TCG in card form.

Shipping for Omen is more than the cost of the game.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:05:35 AM by lamaros »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1200 on: December 22, 2013, 03:05:10 AM

Eh, it didn't sound especially magic like. I liked the asymmetric element, plus I have no desire for a TCG in card form.
Asymmetric or not, people are fooling themselves if they think Garfield made any huge departure from Magic with Netrunner. You're still doing the same shit you're doing in Magic except you have trap cards and an overly complex arrangement of permanents on the corp side.

If you know anything about Magic, the corp side is always playing Enchantress or some other "Pillow-Forty" kind of deck and the runner side is always playing combo. Or at least, trying to play combo.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: December 22, 2013, 03:13:38 AM

Hmm points taken. Having read some other reviews it doesn't really sound like it is what I wanted. Back to the drawing board!

At this point it looks like 7 Wonders is going to get the 'fun enough to play and simple enough for the family' vote.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1202 on: December 22, 2013, 03:23:05 AM

I would not recommend Netrunner to a family of non-hardcore gamers. It is solely a competitive card game.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: December 22, 2013, 05:00:14 AM

I would not recommend Netrunner to a family of non-hardcore gamers. It is solely a competitive card game.

It was more of a me and my brother choice (who seems to have dominant species as the go to game with his friends these days), but really I'd rather something else. Letters from Whitechapel might scratch that itch.

Family wise my sister will just want to play The Resistance anyhow, so maybe I should just save my money...
schild
Administrator

Reply #1204 on: December 22, 2013, 09:34:10 AM

Letters from Whitechapel is good. If Dominant Species is his goto game (jesus, that's heavy) then the only card game I'd recommend would be Twilight Struggle - which is seriously as good as they say. Or A Few Acres of Snow as mentioned above.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: December 23, 2013, 03:24:20 AM

7 Wonders is great.  The expansions add a lot more dimensions and stuff to do as well.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: December 23, 2013, 03:52:10 AM

I got Letters From Whitehapel and Mr Jack pocket and Haggis.

Looking forward to playing letters from Whitehapel a lot.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1207 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:04 PM

I got Letters From Whitehapel and Mr Jack pocket and Haggis.

Looking forward to playing letters from Whitehapel a lot.

It's still one of my favorite boardgames.  The unfortunate caveat I've found is that people who don't have good attention spans for logic puzzles will just check right the fuck out, so you need the right crowd.  Almost every time I've played it I've learned there's one person in the group who just doesn't have the right brain for this sort of thing.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: December 23, 2013, 05:19:28 PM

Yeah I expect I'll only play with people keen, even if it means 1v1.

Bought a bunch of games for the ipad. Looking forward to see how Eclipse plays. Also got Small World 2.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1209 on: December 24, 2013, 01:29:12 PM

Have a full house this winter.

After teaching Pret-A-Porter everyone loved it.

Then we played Lords of Waterdeep.  It's amazing how much, I guess production value, makes a difference.  The LoW box and score track just makes everything so simple to set up that it's pretty much what everyone wants to play.

In between The Resistance of course. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: December 24, 2013, 01:35:09 PM

The LoW expansion is great, and has the same awesome box insert like the original, but fuck it if I'm doing to segregate the expansion cards from the original after every play.  I followed the instructions for integrating both expansions sets for establishing a "long game" and plan to leave them like that.

Fun fact: You can take the Skullport box insert, stack it on top of the original insert inside of the original box bottom, and cover it with the expansion box top.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: December 24, 2013, 08:29:03 PM

I tried PACG today as a "family game" and it's not settin off the way I wanted.  Actually, got requests for "Dragon Age" if you could believe that.  Very vanilla RPG (that I dont particularly like due to the lore/world).

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1212 on: December 26, 2013, 05:39:17 PM

I think I'm going to sell my PACG.  My family didn't get it as I wanted them to.  Frankly I found the rules to be a bit abstract and there was a lot of card conflict.  I know the developers worked on answering a lot of those conflicts. 

I mentioned above that I really liked the persistent characters in PACG and I know Descent has them too.  How is Descent 2nd version in complexity compared to Ravenloft/PACG? 

I was given Munchkin deluxe and Arkham Horror for Christmas.  Card Kingdom was doing 20% off anything in store, so I snagged Letters from Whitechapel and the second Munchkin expansion for ~$50.  Not terrible.  I think I'm going to return Arkham Horror, though.  I suspect the 2hr+ playtime means it will never get played in my house. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #1213 on: December 26, 2013, 07:55:59 PM

You could also return it because it's overrated crap decided by randomness. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: December 27, 2013, 11:13:20 AM

You could also return it because it's overrated crap decided by randomness. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BUT THEME!  Rabble rabble.  awesome, for real

Got around to trying Resistance:Avalon with a good group last night, not sure what took my so long.  Just the little tweaks of having Oberon and Merlin make the game so much better than trying to deal with clunky mission cards instead.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: December 27, 2013, 01:55:44 PM

The LoW expansion is great, and has the same awesome box insert like the original, but fuck it if I'm doing to segregate the expansion cards from the original after every play.  I followed the instructions for integrating both expansions sets for establishing a "long game" and plan to leave them like that.
I loved the original game when it came out, but had two minor criticisms: #1 there wasn't enough ways to get to odd coins, and 2.) the economy in the game was too predictable.  The expansion(s) fixed both.  I really like the game, and think it is a great gateway game to introduce a wide variety of people to more complex modern games.
Fun fact: You can take the Skullport box insert, stack it on top of the original insert inside of the original box bottom, and cover it with the expansion box top.
I had not noticed.  18 points for pointing this out.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:55 PM

Robinson Crusoe is in stock today on CSI.  Grabbed mine and Glass Road for free shipping.  I know, I know, but it's New Year Eve and lots of personal Worker Placement management awaits me in 2014.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/183523

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1217 on: December 31, 2013, 02:26:13 PM

Picked up Citadels recently to scratch an itch for a quick and easy game.  It delivers, and I recommend it.  2 to 8 players, takes about half an hour and not a lot of table space. 

Although on its surface the game is about earning money to build a city, the real meat of it is the secret selection of the "character" roles each round that set the turn order for that round and grant special abilities (similar to the "strategies" in Twilight Imperium except they make up a much larger part of the game) -- there's a lot of Nth-dimensional bluffing going on where you need to guess whether someone is going to try to fuck you ever, and what character they think you're going to pick, and what they will do based on that, and what you can pick instead that will fuck them over... unless they knew you'd figure all that out and you're in fact playing right into their hands.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1218 on: December 31, 2013, 03:35:36 PM

Citadels really requires the right group.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1219 on: December 31, 2013, 03:50:45 PM

I was going to say, I can imagine people who get bent out of shape easily getting bent out of shape while playing Citadels.  With a laid-back group that enjoys trying to bullshit each other it's tons of fun, and it's very quick to learn and play so I can see it working well for people who aren't hardcore gamers.  Similar to Skull and Roses in that respect (also a bluffing-centric game).

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #1220 on: December 31, 2013, 04:41:21 PM

I got Citadels in my stocking along with Bohnanza and No Thanks.  Looking forward to Citadels for awhile. 
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: January 01, 2014, 07:32:21 PM

Got to play Letters From Whitechapel (how does Jack ever lose?!), Mr. Jack Pocket, Dixit, and Settlers of Catan over Christmas. And by that I mean I played the former once and the latter about 6 times. My brother in law and dad were pretty keen, even though I kept winning. The GF quite liked playing LfW, which was an unexpected bonus.

I think I'll buy Coup! next, or maybe Love Letter. Got to get some more two player games for home. Only so many games of Scopa can happen before you get bored.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1222 on: January 02, 2014, 06:34:33 AM

Tried two new ones over the holidays: Trains and Terra Mystica.

Trains is Dominion with less cards, but adds a board. Quite liked it. Felt like a bit less of a sprint to the finish that Dominion tends to be, but still plays fairly quickly.

Terra Mystica, when you read the manual it comes across like someone bought every major worker placement game on the market, and just grabbed a random mechanic from each. That being said, the game actually plays really smoothly. Took us about three hours to finish a game, but that included two new players.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: January 07, 2014, 02:38:11 AM

Been playing a bit of Jaipur a board game arena. Good fun. Which is surprising, as I normally go for games with more interactivity. Still, a step up on Dominion in that regard.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:37 AM

My wife has pretty bad vision, but loves board games.  What are some of your favorite board games that do not involve small symbols, pieces or small text on the board (or super small texton things she can hold)?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: