Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585234 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1120 on: October 16, 2013, 12:10:00 PM

I haven't fucked around with the Pathfinder card game yet.  Does it require you to defile your character cards to play?  I mean, yeah, i know you could make a copy of them and not, but it seems odd for it to be thought of as a "one time use" item.
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: October 16, 2013, 12:21:10 PM

We use a sharpie on a sleeve, but I believe there are also downloadable character sheets downloadable from paizo.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1122 on: October 16, 2013, 03:48:57 PM

Both of those options are viable.  We started with transparent sleeves to sharpie, and ended up switching to the character sheets because they're better at tracking history of accomplishment (only one feat given per scenario completed).

The second pack of PACG cards are going to start shipping to subs early next week, I think. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1123 on: October 16, 2013, 08:57:56 PM

I need to get some sleeves, but I've been using the character sheets. I've been playing with fighter/cleric but decided to go back and start over with the addition of rogue and wizard to the party for fun. It really mixes things up, but it takes a lot longer, is a bit of a hassle solo, but on the third hand it feels more like how the game was intended and puts the blessings deck timer mechanic in the forefront, where it's not really a factor with one or two characters.

Since I've got the radar out for solo/co-op mini games, one I've been keeping an eye on for a while just launched its KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath-of-demons
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: October 17, 2013, 07:25:10 AM

Has anyone here played Bora Bora?  It's on sale today at Miniature Market but I'm seeing some mixed reviews.  I'm always a little more reluctant to pull the trigger on newer games because they often haven't been played enough for people to have really gotten into them and play them much yet.  So initial reviews are just a ton of 10s from people "Saw this at xxxCon and it looks great!" that pulls up the average rating.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: October 17, 2013, 07:58:55 AM

Since I've got the radar out for solo/co-op mini games, one I've been keeping an eye on for a while just launched its KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath-of-demons

Thoughts on this one? (Not solo or co-op though) - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/mars-attacks-the-miniatures-game?ref=live

My initial impression was "meh" and still feels about the same.  However my wife also found it and told me all about it this morning interested in it and I see the funding is going crazy on it.  All 725 of the $300 tier sold out already for instance.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:12:20 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: October 17, 2013, 04:16:55 PM

Mantic has some hardcore fans :)

I don't really know much about it, sorry. "Meh" was also my reaction on looking things over. I'm trying to keep my ears open for a possible Dreadball team, but that's about it.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: October 17, 2013, 05:39:44 PM

I'm trying to keep my ears open for a possible Dreadball team, but that's about it.

Somehow I completely missed that one when it went through.  I need to find a better way to keep track of Kickstarters that might actually be good, I seem to miss quite a few that look interesting.

Back on a Boardgame note I've got a group setup to try out Space Cadets next week.  Looking forward to it.  awesome, for real

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1128 on: October 19, 2013, 01:19:19 AM

PACG has me mildly interested in Pathfinder lore.  Is there a place to start?  I don't have the desire to RP anymore, but the card flair is intriguing. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: October 19, 2013, 07:44:42 AM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1130 on: October 19, 2013, 09:02:23 PM

Better place to start would be http://paizo.com/products/btpy8ief

It's a fine setting, not my favorite, but fine. A little kitchen-sink-y.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:45 PM

That's pretty much working as intended though. Golarion seems to have a nation to fit almost any possible high fantasy setting you want. Ravenloft clone? Check. Oriental Adventures rehash? Check. Fake Egypt? Check. Spelljammer? Yeah, sure, we'll give you a sourcebook about the solar system. Want to set your campaign to have gunpowder? We've got a nation for that. Want your campaign to have mecha? We've got a nation for that. Each individual country or country group seems fairly solid when viewed in a vacuum, but strung all together, they do get a little ridiculous.

I think it's better at filling the "High Fantasy Sampler World" role than Greyhawk, Toril, or Mystara were, but by design it doesn't have the cohesion of settings like Dark Sun, or Planescape.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: October 21, 2013, 03:24:48 PM

Has anyone here played Bora Bora?

Purchased it, solely based on it being Stefan Feld, but haven't played it yet. If you like Castles of Burgundy, it feels similar to that based on my reading of the rules and fiddling around with it briefly, but that impression could be way off once I get an actual game with other people down.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1133 on: October 21, 2013, 10:29:03 PM

That's pretty much working as intended though. Golarion seems to have a nation to fit almost any possible high fantasy setting you want. Ravenloft clone? Check. Oriental Adventures rehash? Check. Fake Egypt? Check. Spelljammer? Yeah, sure, we'll give you a sourcebook about the solar system. Want to set your campaign to have gunpowder? We've got a nation for that. Want your campaign to have mecha? We've got a nation for that. Each individual country or country group seems fairly solid when viewed in a vacuum, but strung all together, they do get a little ridiculous.

I think it's better at filling the "High Fantasy Sampler World" role than Greyhawk, Toril, or Mystara were, but by design it doesn't have the cohesion of settings like Dark Sun, or Planescape.

Of the 3 you name at the end, only Known World/Mystara was really a 'sampler' setting from the get-go; FR got stuff shoehorned into it to broaden appeal though, yeah. And I get that it is working as intended, they need a setting that can support their whole product line. That just necessarily sacrifices a tighter theme, but given the very specific nature of the APs they can usually put it back in there anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: October 22, 2013, 07:21:06 AM

Probably not picking it up simply because I've been spending way too much on games but -

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Rise of the Runelords Base Set for $30 today

Nope, all 120 copies they had listed when I posted this are sold out already.  swamp poop
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:39:58 AM by Thrawn »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: October 22, 2013, 01:12:02 PM

How is PACG shaping up later on in the path?  Anyone playing the 2nd set yet?  My gaming brethren have been unreliable, so I've let it gather dust.  From the info. paizo gives it seems the game really opens up later on and difficulty starts to become cockstabby.  Pretty soon we'll start hearing people say "this game plays best with two people."   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: October 22, 2013, 01:16:52 PM

Firefly - any thoughts from those that have tried it?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: October 22, 2013, 01:24:37 PM

I've been wanting to try the new RPG tbh.  Cortex Plus is a badass system; added to the 'verse with competent players and well written modules could mean a lot of fun.  I've heard the boardgame isn't that great, but remember even BSG had a love-hate thing goin on at first.  Sometimes it takes time to marinate.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1138 on: October 31, 2013, 10:35:38 AM

Firefly - any thoughts from those that have tried it?

Haven't played it yet.  The components are awesome.  I am not sure the rule set really screams out "flying through the 'verse" or anything.  Strikes me as a differently themed Merchant of Venus.  Tom Vaseline actually liked it, but gave it a little lower rating because of the theme disconnect. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1139 on: November 05, 2013, 07:29:03 AM

Played through Castles of Burgundy last night.  It's a decent game, but probably not worth all the hype that it gets.  Uwe Rosenberg's stuff is better, IMO.  It's a pretty decent two player game though, but if I play it much in the future I'll probably cut it down to 3 phases from the 5 in the base game.  It just seems a little long to me. 
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: November 06, 2013, 10:44:21 AM

Played through Castles of Burgundy last night.  It's a decent game, but probably not worth all the hype that it gets.  Uwe Rosenberg's stuff is better, IMO.  It's a pretty decent two player game though, but if I play it much in the future I'll probably cut it down to 3 phases from the 5 in the base game.  It just seems a little long to me. 

On the whole, I probably prefer Uwe Rosenberg's games to Stefan Feld's as well, but Stefan Feld gets a lot of credit from me for coming up with interesting mechanics I haven't seen elsewhere. It feels like Uwe Rosenberg has mostly just been iterating on the same worker placement/resource chain game for a while now, and while I love those sorts of games, he never takes me by surprise the way some Feld games do.

Still, can't wait to get my hands on Caverna and Glass Road.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1141 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:49 PM

Glass Load looks totally badass.  I'll definitely pick up a copy or two of that, particularly since Ora et labora is selling for ~$150 now.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: November 06, 2013, 01:45:35 PM

Glass Load looks totally badass.  I'll definitely pick up a copy or two of that, particularly since Ora et labora is selling for ~$150 now.

Wow, is it really? Times like this I feel good about being an insane game hoarder.

I really need to bust out Ora et Labora again. I only ever played one two player game of it, but I really liked it. I'm one of those people in the camp of "Agricola is fun and all, but the cards just make it too luck dependent", so I've always liked his games that take that element out of it, which is why I'm really looking forward to Caverna.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:34 AM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: November 12, 2013, 10:28:51 AM

If anyone Kickstarted Cthulhu Wars, I'd be interested to hear a review when it is delivered...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: November 13, 2013, 10:50:15 AM

If anyone Kickstarted Cthulhu Wars, I'd be interested to hear a review when it is delivered...

I kickstarted it on the last day of the project, after much hemming and hawing. It was really the uniqueness of the factions that made me pull the trigger on it. Apparently my love of variable player powers offsets my distaste for dice-rolling randomness. I can toss up my thoughts on it whenever I get my hands on it.

That's not going to be for a while though. Last update I saw said March, and I expect there will be a couple more delays thrown on. All part of the fun of kickstarter projects.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: November 13, 2013, 01:00:19 PM

Quote:  Lorenzo Pablo Looks like the Gamezone guys have been leaking information on several spanish blogs, here are the links:
On box contents
Pledge levels, prices, release date, game mechanics and some component details
Interview with general information
Recap

As all of this is in spanish, I'll make a recap similar to the one on the last link:

- Kickstarter starts on November 22nd.
- In addition to the already mentioned 3 pledge levels there will be one in which they will add a picture of you and your friends playing on the back of the box.
- There will be miniature and furniture pledge levels and all components will be available on the company web page in case you need more of anything.
- Each Hero, male and female versions, will have different stats. There will be a huntress instead of a female barbarian.
- 6 spells on each school of magic for a total of 30 spells.
- Each miniature will have different sculpt. In addition to the original contents and the female counterparts of the heroes there will be some new miniatures: ogre, stone gargoyle, spectre, black orc and pit slime.
- There will be 50 completely new adventures.
- One side of the board will have a dungeon and the other will be outdoors with ruins.
- The old adventures will not be reimplemented.
- Enemies will be tougher.
- The mind value will be used.
- In the interview they talk about the help received from Hasbro Iberia (Spain and Portugal), which sounds like they have reached some kind of agreement and a lawsuit is out of the table.

And there is more, but I am sure you want to know what will be in the box:
- Board.
- Bad guy screen.
- 8 dice (2 movement and 6 combat, all by q workshop).
- Rules.
- Adventure book.
- Hero stats.
- 86 cards (10 artefacts, 30 treasure, 16 equipment, 30 spells).
- 46 miniatures (8 heroes, 6 goblins, 8 orcs, 4 skeletons, 2 mummies, 4 zombies, 4 chaos warriors, 3 drrakks/fimir, 1 stone gargoyle, 1 gargoyle, 1 chaos wizard, 1 spectre, 1 black orc, 1 ogre, 1 pit slime).
- 48 furniture elements, some of them multicomponent (18 doors, 4 chests, 2 tables, 1 throne, 3 bookshelves, 1 armour stand, 1 torture table, 1 chimney, 1 alchemy table, 1 tomb, 1 pit, 1 altar, 1 cage, 1 mirror, 1 statue, 1 death pendulum (sorry for the translation), 1 dimensional portal, 8 treasure chest contents).
- 35 resin markers (1 entry stairs, 4 secret doors, 8 fallen rocks, 4 double fallen rocks, 6 pit traps, 4 spear traps, 4 axe traps, 4 arrow traps).

And it will weight around 4 Kg.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1147 on: November 13, 2013, 01:29:42 PM

It will be interesting to see if that ever gets off the ground, since it doesn't appear that GW is involved. 
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: November 15, 2013, 05:46:40 PM

Lords of Waterdeep out on IOS next Wednesday.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #1149 on: November 15, 2013, 06:43:15 PM

So stoked....

when I get new ipads. >_>
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1150 on: November 15, 2013, 06:45:42 PM

Played Letters from Whitechapel for the first time this week with a few coworkers.  Not only were we all very entertained, we had passersby stop to watch the game because they wanted to see how it was going to end.

It helped me realize how utterly worthless Clue is as a mystery game since there's no actual mental effort involved in solving the mystery, it's just crossing things off a list until there's only one left.  Whitechapel feels more like detective work in that you have to correlate different bits of data and make deductions.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1151 on: November 16, 2013, 09:24:50 AM

Clue is great for people that aren't really gamers and for younger kids.  I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect it to be entertaining to great minds like you and me.   awesome, for real
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: November 17, 2013, 06:44:46 AM

To be fair to clue there is a layer of 'A told me earlier they don't have X or Y so they must have just shown Z to B'.

But it's aimed at people who want to roll dice for 40 minutes then congratulate someone for being fortunate.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1153 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03:06 PM

Star Trek:  Fleet Captains is a nice game, but holy shit are the components bad.   ACK!
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: November 20, 2013, 10:28:57 PM

I've been playing the Star Wars LCG for several months now, and it's pretty sweet.

AKA Gyoza
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: