Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:45:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585216 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1050 on: September 01, 2013, 11:37:59 AM

Mage Knight really is a fun solo game.  You really need to think about getting that, if you're looking for a solo experience.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1051 on: September 01, 2013, 11:44:09 AM

I would, in fact, say that Mage Knight is stronger as a single player game than multiplayer.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1052 on: September 01, 2013, 08:41:50 PM

I certainly wouldn't recommend it with more than two.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1053 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:52 PM

Ok, Mage Knight added to list.

Other games that list as solo option: Merchant of Venus, Gears of War, the D&D stuff (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt).
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1054 on: September 09, 2013, 07:10:52 PM

I've got some credit to burn and I'm considering:

Lords of Waterdeep
Android Netrunner
Mage Knight
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

I like the idea of Netrunner the best, but I think it's beyond my kid and my wife won't care for the setting.  However, both of them will probably like LoW. 

I have no idea what to get. 
Onoes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: September 09, 2013, 08:27:11 PM

Can't go wrong with LoW in my opinion.  That is literally the only game I've ever purchased with a 100% like rate, never met a person who didn't want to play it multiple times.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: September 10, 2013, 12:40:12 AM

never met a person who didn't want to play it multiple times.
Hi there.

I'm less of a fan of Lords of Waterdeep. My group mostly damns it with faint praise. No one hates it, but no ones really loves it either. Plus, having played it three times I literally feel like I've done everything in the box. More concretely, I'm not a fan of the random quest availability, which can screw you over despite your best efforts, or the take that type mechanic. Mainly, it just feels like there's not much game there: you grab a couple quests and stick your guys on the spaces that net you the right colored cubes, that's it. So yeah, after three plays, I kinda feel like I'm done. I'll try and post something about Belfort (which I think is better) later, but sleep.

Mage Knight is really, really, really, dense. Like a 22 page manual and 20 page "quick start" guide dense. Which will require you consulting both for 2-3 hours during your first 4+ hour real "game" while you try to figure out if you are doing anything right. This is partly because those giant manuals aren't even very good. There is a good game underneath, but it makes the Descent 1st edition rules seem breezy.

On the topic of bad manuals, I just got Kemet a couple weeks ago, and it is awesome. However the manual came in like 3-4 languages, and it is fairly obvious that english was not the original. The manual is thankfully short and to the point for relatively complex game (whereas LoW has some ridiculous 20 page manual, when seriously, all they needed was the back cover), but it is really vague in some areas, and just totally missing key information in others. Thankfully a few FAQs over at BGG cleared things up, and it has remained the current favorite game among just about everyone in my group from play one through eight or so. I know it got some discussion here a page or two ago, and if you haven't checked it out I would recommend giving the SU&SD review a look. Our only worry is that without any element of luck, optimal strategies are emerging that may prove unbeatable.

Oh, if you need a game the whole family will love, just get Dominion. It's widely regarded as the best of all games* for a reason. I just had a highly enjoyable nail-biter of a loss tonight in what is probably my 50th play or something. Grab an expansion while you're at it though, the base game is a little bland on its own after a few (dozen) plays.
*Not including Magic and/or Hex. But dumb people think they are too complicated.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:43:59 AM by Ragnoros »

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #1057 on: September 10, 2013, 12:56:39 AM

Skip Dominion and get Ascension. For realsies.

Lords of Waterdeep is a gateway euro worker-placement title. For people who are good at games, I actually wouldn't recommend it. It's certainly light and fun enough though. I'd probably recommend Tournay or De Vulgari Eloquentia first. Or even Village, which I'm like half a fan of.  

Actually, while typing that I thought about it and I'd still say Pret-a-Porter is the best worker placement title I've played yet.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1058 on: September 10, 2013, 05:27:28 AM

Dominion is actually quite different than Ascension.  I know people that love both.  Probably best to try them out first, if you can, but with Dominion everything is already up and out and on the board for you to take.  With Ascension there's a lot more randomness in what comes up in the buy line.  Plus the artwork in Ascension really blows.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: September 10, 2013, 05:57:02 AM

Plus the artwork in Ascension really blows.

What he said. I would honestly rather just play with art free versions of the cards than the actual product. I'm pretty sure whoever thought the font on the mechana construct faction was a good idea has been beaten into a coma by angry graphic designers also.

I like both Dominion and Ascension, but I like Dominion a lot more. Main things Ascension has going for it is ease of setup and less of a first player bias than Dominion has. And the fantasy-ish theme is probably appealing to some. Hell, it would be appealing to me if it weren't presented in an art style I abhor.

In more direct response to Hawkbit's list of games, of those 4 if you're planning on playing with the family, LoW is probably your best choice. Like others have mentioned, Mage Knight is quite dense. If Netrunner is too advanced for your kid at this point, Mage Knight really is. The Pathfinder game is probably manageable also. There's a lot of card text, but pretty much every turn comes down to "Draw a card, roll some dice", and because it's a cooperative, you can always coach.

But yeah, I'd go with Dominion over any of the four listed for a family game night sort of affair.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1060 on: September 10, 2013, 08:10:39 AM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1061 on: September 10, 2013, 08:23:16 AM

Oh come on, man.  It's not family friendly artwork.  How about that?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: September 10, 2013, 12:11:37 PM

My question wasn't very helpful, as I have a different purpose for each game.  I was thinking Mage Knight for solo play, and maybe Pathfinder for that same reason.  But then I realize that if I'm playing by myself, I may as well just play a PC game.

The problem with games like LoW is that the girls end up just saying they want to play Ticket to Ride.  Which is a fun game, but I'm a bit bored of it. I've got most of the top eurogames but they gravitate back there each time.

We have Dominion and I find it very fun.  I think the wife and kid enjoyed it, but the setting was a bit dull.  I've spent the past few years wanting to get into Magic, but I really don't have the time to commit to going out to play with other people.  So... I thought Netrunner solves that problem for me a bit by being a LCG instead of trying to keep up with the cycle of the CCG. 

If my kid understood Dominion, would she understand Android Netrunner or Pathfinder?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1063 on: September 10, 2013, 12:25:56 PM

As a child I didn't like Netrunner. As an adult I own Netrunner so if other people want to play it we can.

I know nothing of Pathfinder.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1064 on: September 10, 2013, 12:52:16 PM

Netrunner is actually quite a bit more complex than Dominion.  If you're looking for a deckbuilder that might appeal to kids, Trains has gotten good reviews. 

You could also put together a few simple set decks for Magic that might make things easier.  Once you get rid of all the counters and funky spells, it's really pretty easy. 

Are you specifically looking for kid friendly games? 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: September 10, 2013, 01:21:11 PM

I'm not necessarily looking for kid games, but my 8yr old daughter is the only one that consistently plays with me.  There hasn't been a game she doesn't grasp yet, though Smallworld took us all a few playthroughs to understand.  Once we understood the rules of Smallworld, we realized we didn't like it because it's too damn board busy.

The kid has played and understands:
Ticket to Ride, TTR 1910, TTR Europe, Carcassone, Catan Jr, Catan, Dominion, Smallworld. 

Castle Ravenloft kinda beat us a bit, as it was a bit unforgiving the first few plays as we learned the rules.  She kept trying to run from the monsters, which doesn't really work in that game.  I should try that again because it's been six months since our last try.

As far as Magic decks are concerned, schild recommended holding off on that idea because a huge part of the draw of Magic is putting together the decks.  I didn't really understand his point until after I played through some test games. Then it hit me with how much sense that makes because of how deep the game can be.  The point of the design is the strategy and asymmetry found in the deckbuilding, and to limit that play makes the whole game system feel truncated, for lack of a better word. 

Therein lies the appeal of the LCG, it's like a Magic cube and it doesn't have to grow if I don't want it to.  However, if Netrunner is too complex for her then I'll just hold off.  I appreciate the info, thanks, and I'll look into Trains!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: September 10, 2013, 01:34:44 PM

Here's an intro to the Pathfinder ACG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiP_Fi0Xd0k

My box should be sitting at the door when I get home. I got it for $35 on amazon, apparently they had the wrong price up. It then bounced up to $60 and now is 40 something through a 3rd party seller.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1067 on: September 10, 2013, 02:21:30 PM

I'm not necessarily looking for kid games, but my 8yr old daughter is the only one that consistently plays with me.  There hasn't been a game she doesn't grasp yet, though Smallworld took us all a few playthroughs to understand.  Once we understood the rules of Smallworld, we realized we didn't like it because it's too damn board busy.

The kid has played and understands:
Ticket to Ride, TTR 1910, TTR Europe, Carcassone, Catan Jr, Catan, Dominion, Smallworld. 

Castle Ravenloft kinda beat us a bit, as it was a bit unforgiving the first few plays as we learned the rules.  She kept trying to run from the monsters, which doesn't really work in that game.  I should try that again because it's been six months since our last try.

As far as Magic decks are concerned, schild recommended holding off on that idea because a huge part of the draw of Magic is putting together the decks.  I didn't really understand his point until after I played through some test games. Then it hit me with how much sense that makes because of how deep the game can be.  The point of the design is the strategy and asymmetry found in the deckbuilding, and to limit that play makes the whole game system feel truncated, for lack of a better word. 

Therein lies the appeal of the LCG, it's like a Magic cube and it doesn't have to grow if I don't want it to.  However, if Netrunner is too complex for her then I'll just hold off.  I appreciate the info, thanks, and I'll look into Trains!

The Cthulhu and Warhammer LCGs seem a little less difficult to me.  The big issue with Netrunner is all the game jargon, which can be a little overwhelming if you haven't played a card game.  Warhammer Invasion is pretty simple and has good artwork.  You could give that a shot.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1068 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:59 PM

Here's an intro to the Pathfinder ACG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiP_Fi0Xd0k

My box should be sitting at the door when I get home. I got it for $35 on amazon, apparently they had the wrong price up. It then bounced up to $60 and now is 40 something through a 3rd party seller.

I admire Pathfinder for being the best of the d20 OGL's, but I still find its combat really time consuming and rules heavy.  So much golf-game-like score keeping.   Am I way off?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: September 10, 2013, 03:48:39 PM

The card game is based on the rpg. Your characters are persistent through the adventure paths (read: expansion decks), so there does seem to be a few things to keep track of. Otherwise it's a deck game with dice rolls. The vid I linked is a good overview (I like Watch It Played's channel, great Zombicide series, too). I'll try a game after dinner.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: September 10, 2013, 08:46:42 PM

PACG is pretty light faire when you consider most of the games profiled in this thread.  Its difficulty lie in the usual rpg snafus; horrible dice-rolling and getting in over your head (poor tactics).  You learn as you go, but the difficulty raises as well.  The manual, though simple to read, is also a bit too flippant in how it portrays some pretty important rules/concepts (they really should be boldened or subheaded)...  you've got to force yourself to read through every paragraph because of this reason.  And just like most TCGs, you better pay close attention to grammar in the manual and especially on the cards (example: blessings from another char. don't need to be in the same location to bolster a check; obviously, since it's a godlike power)   <--- hence why I chose the Monk, which I do believe is pretty OP as he recharges instead of discards and can use more than one when he's melee.

There's not really anything to "keep track of" tbh.  You sleeve your character card, mark it with a pencil or wet-erase every adventure or so, and that's it.  The beauty of the system lie in the fact that the game is really a persistent deckbuilding game.  Everything you find in each adventure may end up in your deck (as long as it follows your char's loot rules) and you may trade after of course (or during if you've got the cardtime).  Cards that get "banished" go back into the box and are gone forever (e.g. most every potion unless you've got a particular skill, or shit like 'chinese stars' that you throw, or trying to fling a spell when you've got no spell skills).  Since it's a deckbuilder (not unlike something like Thunderstone), you can play the same exact scenario over and over again and have it be nothing like the prior one; as each location gets a near random allocation of cards.  Though many decisions you make will indeed, be fairly similar... unless you've got ability to scan the decks  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'd recommend definitely getting the character add-on, as it adds a lot more character choice and the ability to play with 6 people.  With more available characters and gear you don't have to take apart decks as much if someone wants a similar class character.  That's the only thing you might have to keep track of otherwise (there are spreadsheets for this already).

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Onoes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: September 10, 2013, 11:03:59 PM

Hi there.

I'm less of a fan of Lords of Waterdeep. My group mostly damns it with faint praise. No one hates it, but no ones really loves it either. Plus, having played it three times I literally feel like I've done everything in the box. More concretely, I'm not a fan of the random quest availability, which can screw you over despite your best efforts, or the take that type mechanic. Mainly, it just feels like there's not much game there: you grab a couple quests and stick your guys on the spaces that net you the right colored cubes, that's it. So yeah, after three plays, I kinda feel like I'm done. I'll try and post something about Belfort (which I think is better) later, but sleep.

Mage Knight is really, really, really, dense. Like a 22 page manual and 20 page "quick start" guide dense. Which will require you consulting both for 2-3 hours during your first 4+ hour real "game" while you try to figure out if you are doing anything right. This is partly because those giant manuals aren't even very good. There is a good game underneath, but it makes the Descent 1st edition rules seem breezy.

On the topic of bad manuals, I just got Kemet a couple weeks ago, and it is awesome. However the manual came in like 3-4 languages, and it is fairly obvious that english was not the original. The manual is thankfully short and to the point for relatively complex game (whereas LoW has some ridiculous 20 page manual, when seriously, all they needed was the back cover), but it is really vague in some areas, and just totally missing key information in others. Thankfully a few FAQs over at BGG cleared things up, and it has remained the current favorite game among just about everyone in my group from play one through eight or so. I know it got some discussion here a page or two ago, and if you haven't checked it out I would recommend giving the SU&SD review a look. Our only worry is that without any element of luck, optimal strategies are emerging that may prove unbeatable.

Oh, if you need a game the whole family will love, just get Dominion. It's widely regarded as the best of all games* for a reason. I just had a highly enjoyable nail-biter of a loss tonight in what is probably my 50th play or something. Grab an expansion while you're at it though, the base game is a little bland on its own after a few (dozen) plays.
*Not including Magic and/or Hex. But dumb people think they are too complicated.

I guess I could have clarified my post a bit better.  I purchased Agricola first, and getting people to play was like pulling teeth.  No one was interested in the theme, and people seemed to have a hard time wrapping their heads around the game in general.  It was only played a few times.

LoW seems to be Agricola Lite.  A lot of very similar aspects, but simplified, and portrayed in a more exciting light (Ruling a kingdom plotting vs being a starving farmer).  All in all, I've played it with about a dozen people total, and it's been out over 30 times easy, making it the hands down winner of most played game in my house.

Your milage will vary of course, but it was a winner here.  I find myself in the position of being very into strategy games with little to no random chance, while just about everyone I play with thinks Quelf is the pinnacle of fun gaming.  Don't get me wrong, those types of games can be a lot of fun, but I tend to try to meet in the middle, and LoW filled that niche nicely for me.  I'm surprised to see so much rejection, but I suppose a lot of it depends on who you have to play with.

I just ordered the Anniversary Edition of Galaxy Trucker, hoping for a similar outcome.  Looks light enough to get people to play, but with some of the RULES I crave. :)
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: September 10, 2013, 11:22:54 PM

I was just making a counter argument. You're welcome to enjoy the game all you like.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1073 on: September 11, 2013, 06:08:19 AM

Hi there.

I guess I could have clarified my post a bit better.  I purchased Agricola first, and getting people to play was like pulling teeth.  No one was interested in the theme, and people seemed to have a hard time wrapping their heads around the game in general.  It was only played a few times.

LoW seems to be Agricola Lite.  A lot of very similar aspects, but simplified, and portrayed in a more exciting light (Ruling a kingdom plotting vs being a starving farmer).  All in all, I've played it with about a dozen people total, and it's been out over 30 times easy, making it the hands down winner of most played game in my house.

Your milage will vary of course, but it was a winner here.  I find myself in the position of being very into strategy games with little to no random chance, while just about everyone I play with thinks Quelf is the pinnacle of fun gaming.  Don't get me wrong, those types of games can be a lot of fun, but I tend to try to meet in the middle, and LoW filled that niche nicely for me.  I'm surprised to see so much rejection, but I suppose a lot of it depends on who you have to play with.

I just ordered the Anniversary Edition of Galaxy Trucker, hoping for a similar outcome.  Looks light enough to get people to play, but with some of the RULES I crave. :)

You should also consider Stone Age.  It's quite fun and has a reasonable theme (with a "love hut"  why so serious?)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1074 on: September 11, 2013, 06:43:02 AM

One of the Pathfinder designers gave me a demo at PAX, and his description of the game was "Better Arkham Horror". My only worry, is it looks like a sizable money investment considering they've broken the game in to modules just like the Adventure Path, selling you a new one every couple months.

I actually prefer Stone Age to LoW. I found it was easier to develop a concerted strategy in the game, and felt less at the whim of the cards.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: September 11, 2013, 07:22:44 AM

Ghambit gives a pretty solid overview of PACG. I'm a newb at this type of gaming, but after a couple sessions I really dig it. I really like that it incorporates dice rolling. I dig the mechanics of it for the most part. First game took a while as I read the manual between each action. Second game was about an hour (with two characters) and a lot more fun as I just focused on playing rather than trying to figure out what to do next. Fighter/cleric was a nice combo.

I had intended to paint last night and was up late to fit in the second scenario. Fun game.

edit: getting it for $35 when amazon put it up at the wrong price helped a bit, too
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:25:41 AM by Sky »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1076 on: September 11, 2013, 07:51:38 AM

One of the Pathfinder designers gave me a demo at PAX, and his description of the game was "Better Arkham Horror". My only worry, is it looks like a sizable money investment considering they've broken the game in to modules just like the Adventure Path, selling you a new one every couple months.

I actually prefer Stone Age to LoW. I found it was easier to develop a concerted strategy in the game, and felt less at the whim of the cards.

Everything is DLC these days.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: September 11, 2013, 08:54:08 AM

On the other hand, the modularity and extension of the Paths is a strong point of the game.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1078 on: September 11, 2013, 11:31:56 AM

Paizo puts out great products at a fairly reasonable price.  I can't argue with anything they do as a company, really.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1079 on: September 11, 2013, 11:35:04 AM

Their prepaints are way too expensive.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: September 11, 2013, 12:48:05 PM

But think of teh chinese children!

If I could paint faster, I'd take on commissions for you Ingmar :)

As it is, I'm very tempted to paint sets of the Pathfinder Iconics to trade on the initial popularity of the card game...too bad three aren't available in plastic (better to toss in the box).
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:41 PM

There's already quite a bit of minis chatter for PACG.  People are proxying them for the cards.   Reaper has them all in metal btw:
http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/r/reaperMiniatures/byProductType/miniatures/pathfinder/unpaintedMetal

I've been asked to design a gameboard also as a lot of people really want to tighten up the gamespace and promote more theme (aint nobody got time for that though); which is my only real gripe for the game.  It could use a bit more thematic flavor (helped with playmats, flavor text, etc.) or a built-in narrative stunt mechanic (as a party game you could offer 'doggy treats').  So if you can convince your players to inject some context into their moves the game really becomes a shitton better (kind of like what you'd do playing Gloom).  One might think that it gets hokey, but sometimes tactically you'll flub w/o understanding what exactly the play is contextually; much of the game is intuitive this way as most thematic RPGs are...  and some items struggle to find usage unless you can meta a reason, which blossoms into seemingly arbitrary stats becoming damned important - such as say a +1 hammer being completely different then a +1 warhammer; the dmg might be the same but the checks are different for a reason (some cards synergy with checks; either < or >).  Same deal with armor; scale and mail may guard the same, but there are subtle differences that matter with the overarching deckbuilding strat.  (such as metal armor getting melted by an acid attack, or not working with an electrical spell, etc.)

Anyways, this is my current fav.  Probably will be GOTY too; regardless of it's deserving or not.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:08:42 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: September 12, 2013, 07:45:44 AM

Yeah, I know Reaper minis :) I've requested the three remaining characters in plastic, pretty good chance that will happen, I'd imagine. But although I personally prefer metal over plastic, you can't beat plastic for just tossing in the box (which is why I phrased it thusly).

Reading over the FAQ thus far, even the things they're updating you can pretty much intuit from the context. I just assumed they forgot to add the Magic trait to the Warhammer +1 and allowed it to defeat a ghost (which needs to take Magic dmg), things like that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1083 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:16 PM

Holy fuck! Roads & Boats and &cetera is getting reprinted!

http://www.splotter.com/
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:06 AM

De Vulgari Eloquentia - $16.50 at Amazon with free Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-ZMG-7068-Eloquentia/dp/B004DJGVXY/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_y

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: