Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585247 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1015 on: August 20, 2013, 11:08:38 AM

Apparently Wizards has also employed the team that recently put Agricola on the iPad to bring Waterdeep to the iPad as well.

Here's hoping that maybe they'll do Android too...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1016 on: August 20, 2013, 11:47:59 AM

This is bringing to light the luddite in me, but I'm just not that interested in iPad versions of board games. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1017 on: August 20, 2013, 02:29:33 PM

I managed to score the only copy of Robinson Crusoe at my local game store and just ordered a copy of Terra Mystica for too much.  That should pretty much finish up the collection, I think.   why so serious?
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1018 on: August 20, 2013, 06:01:45 PM

Just grabbed my copy of the Waterdeep expansion from my Friendly Neighborhood Game Store. Looks pretty good. Barely any new rules. Really just corruption (which is pretty simple) and new setup rules for playing long games or with both expansion modules. Interested to try it out, but who knows when it will hit the table. I went on a post Gencon game purchasing binge (as there was only so much I could cram in my luggage there)
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1019 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:23 AM

Just got Kemet last week.
Worker placement, tech tree, almost no luck, aggressive and somewhat short-ish to play.

With the tech tree made up of individual upgrades that are one of a kind it really felt like everyone was playing a different strategy and that when played properly they could all be viable. 
I really liked it, despite Bunk beating us rather badly and am looking forward to playing again.

Check out some reviews
Shut Up & Sit Down Review   Dice Tower Review

Professional Forum Lurker.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1020 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:50 AM

How long has it played for you?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1021 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:35 PM

Went fairly quick I thought for the first time through the game. Helped that I caught the other two off guard with my surprise push to win. Maybe two hours?

I found that the game wasn't as bad as others for analysis paralysis (which I suffer greatly from). It was fairly easy to plan what I was going to do off turn, and only had to adjust occasionally based on what my opponents did - unlike something games where what you do is always entirely dependent on the player before you.

Liked the huge array of tech options, as it seemed they would lead to quite a few different strategies.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: August 21, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

Yeah the box say it plays in about 90 minutes but I never find those to accurate. Maybe with experienced non AP players you could do that, but I'd say 2 hours is reasonable. Also you can chose to play to 8 or 10 points for a short/long game.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Onoes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:34 AM

Just grabbed my copy of the Waterdeep expansion from my Friendly Neighborhood Game Store. Looks pretty good. Barely any new rules. Really just corruption (which is pretty simple) and new setup rules for playing long games or with both expansion modules. Interested to try it out, but who knows when it will hit the table. I went on a post Gencon game purchasing binge (as there was only so much I could cram in my luggage there)

Ohhhh, Looooove me some Lords of Waterdeep, thanks for the heads up about the expansion release, I sure thought that was still a ways out.  Ordered from Amazon!
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1024 on: August 25, 2013, 09:31:04 AM

Had a birthday recently and got the following loot:

Castles of Burgundy
Power Grid
Agricola
Sherlock Holmes (a reissue of a near RPG I loved back in the late 80s)
A Few Acres of Snow

Last was very cool since we were at several of the more remote locations in CDN by chance a month ago.  SUSD has a review and recommend it.  2 player war game with deck building.  Pretty neat.

Edit:  I should add this the second edition we got and played.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:41:49 AM by Soln »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1025 on: August 26, 2013, 11:04:57 AM

Castles of Burgundy is a lot of fun. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:58 PM

Gettin the new Pathfinder Adventure Card Game this week, if my FLGS gets off their arse.  (sometimes I wonder why I even support them)  Early indications are very positive.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1027 on: August 27, 2013, 10:05:07 PM

As an FYI they spoil the actual AP adventures, if you ever expect to play the originals.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: August 28, 2013, 05:02:52 AM

The stuff they added in the LoW expansion are just pants-on-head silly.

- New places to play Intrigue cards from aside from the Harbor.
- A lot of stuff that lets you place deeples and resources on action spaces to make them either more lucrative or (in the case of corruption) less attractive.
- 50 point reward quests
- One Intrigue card lets you acquire and own all three buildings in the Builders' Hall in one sweep.

Just lots of crazy stuff that makes the game more interesting.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: August 28, 2013, 03:37:01 PM

Gettin the new Pathfinder Adventure Card Game this week, if my FLGS gets off their arse.  (sometimes I wonder why I even support them)  Early indications are very positive.

Tried grabbing that at Gencon, but completely unsurprisingly they sold out early on Thursday. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to show up directly from Paizo. Really looking forward to it. I'm a lot more of a board/card gamer than I am a pen and paper roleplayer anymore, and this seems like a good hybrid of the two.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1030 on: August 28, 2013, 08:52:12 PM

Picked up Rialto and Bora Bora.  Stefan Feld is pretty amazing.  Both games are quite good.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: August 29, 2013, 08:28:45 AM

Tried grabbing that at Gencon, but completely unsurprisingly they sold out early on Thursday. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to show up directly from Paizo. Really looking forward to it. I'm a lot more of a board/card gamer than I am a pen and paper roleplayer anymore, and this seems like a good hybrid of the two.

So far my brother has played it solo and evidently it's pretty kickass as a persistent solo game (obviously not as grognardy as the typical wargamey affairs though).  We're delving into the adventure path today.  Paizo failed with printing the playmats on time so I made my own; posted em on BGG if anyone wants em.

That, to me, is the biggest flaw with the game.  REALLY needs a playing board and maybe some minis or standups, but they left them out to keep costs down (knowing that some schmuck would just use their loose 'community use' policies to provide their own).

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1032 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:06 PM

Did someone say solo game? I could drop the fantasy that I'd be able to build a local Pathfinder group for a good solo game. Minis, hah! Got those!

Any other recommendation for good solo games? I've got Arkham Asylum but keep forgetting about it. Zombicide and Kingdom Death: Monster both have solo modes.

Games around here aren't really into mini-based board games. It's either Games Workshop table top or Ticket to Ride board games.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1033 on: August 29, 2013, 09:06:43 PM

Did someone say solo game? I could drop the fantasy that I'd be able to build a local Pathfinder group for a good solo game. Minis, hah! Got those!

Any other recommendation for good solo games? I've got Arkham Asylum but keep forgetting about it. Zombicide and Kingdom Death: Monster both have solo modes.

Games around here aren't really into mini-based board games. It's either Games Workshop table top or Ticket to Ride board games.

I think you might like Mage Knight.  It is generally thought of as best as a solo game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1034 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:00 PM

Where There is Discord
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: August 30, 2013, 07:45:29 AM

Just saying you want a 'solo' game isnt quite enough a descriptor to make a recommendation; as there are many types.  I've got a bunch I haven't gotten around to playing, but all come with high recommendations Fantasy-wise, PACG is the best probably (right now)...  in 24hrs my shitty playmats have been downloaded 1000 times.  I've not tried Dungeon Twister solo yet, but that might be pretty good.  There's a bunch I've been wanting to try of late:

http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_index.html  (oldies but goodies - printnplay affair)  You have the minis for all of these I'm sure, so it'd likely be pretty damned cool.
http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/hikikomori.pdf  (some kind of weird japanese existential gamer-depression .pdf rpg)

Wargame solo games are their own niche.  Then you'll see stuff like schild's recommendation, Labyrinth (more political though), etc.  But there are less time-sinky/smaller games that are fun like B-17, Ambush, and the vaunted 'Leader' series (phantom leader, etc.).  If you think you might someday find a 2nd player, I'd recommend Labyrinth (very underrated game due to subject matter).

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1036 on: August 30, 2013, 07:51:34 PM

Played Kingdom Builder for the first time tonight with my wife.  There's just not much there.  It wasn't very enjoyable with 2.  I can see it being somewhat interesting with 4 or 5, to get the interaction up.  It would be a good game with younger kids. 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1037 on: August 31, 2013, 09:20:52 AM

FWIW SU&SD panned it I believe.

And while on topic of reviews, how do you all treat BGG scores?  Is the slant there mostly hardcore wargame grognard? 
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: August 31, 2013, 12:36:57 PM

And while on topic of reviews, how do you all treat BGG scores?  Is the slant there mostly hardcore wargame grognard? 

Nah, there is only like one heavyish war game in the top 100. It is more like a slant towards heavy euro games and an Oscar like 'deserving' games atmosphere. If you compare the top ten of BGG vs. Tom Vasel's viewers choice you get an idea of the bias.

The BGG top ten is like seven heavy euro games (Agricola, Puerto Rico, La Havre, Eclipse, etc.), the biggest, clunkiest, spend-three-hours-reading-the-rules-and-still-have-no-idea-what's-going-on, DnD analog in existence (Mage Knight), Twilight Struggle, and Android: Netrunner (wait, what?).

Tom's viewers choice on the other hand are mostly games your average gamer like and play on a regular basis.
#10 - Power Grid (The default intro to heavy Euros for some reason.)
#9 - Race for the Galaxy (Not sure how this one made it.)
#8 - Small World
#7 - Settlers of Catan
#6 - Carcassonne
#5 - Pandemic
#4 - Ticket to Ride
#3 - Agricola
#2 - 7 Wonders
#1 - Dominion

Having said all that, the current gaming renaissance we are experiencing is bringing in a whole new crowd of gamers who are pushing the old guard and their flavorless, calculating brand of games out of the spotlight in favor of quick, flavorful, and fun experiences. For example, the recent hit King of Tokyo.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #1039 on: August 31, 2013, 12:52:50 PM

So, about BGG:

The top ten is reflective of their collective hivemind-style hatred of Magic: The Gathering. Especially Netrunner. See, BGG is a bunch of skank ass neckbeards and droll morons that play board games to, somehow, be antisocial. They have mostly shit taste in everything, and hate ANYTHING collectible/expensive even though they have collections worth 10s of thousands of dollars. Every game in the top 10 besides Settlers includes at least one mechanic found in Magic, if not more than one.  Even Puerto Rico is a sort of draft, so much so that the person to the left of the newest player always wins. Same typically goes in a Magic draft when playing with people of unequal skill levels.

HOWEVER, Twilight Struggle is actually the best non-Magic game I've ever played. So they nailed that one. Of course, it's basically Magic and the only character you have is a Planeswalker with loyalty options that change every turn.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1040 on: August 31, 2013, 12:53:59 PM

Note: I only own games from one company that contains no mechanics I can easily translate to Magic - that company being Splotter. Antiquity, Great Zimbabwe, etc. Mostly though, Antiquity. Also, fiddly bits, whooooo!
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:19 PM

Yeah, like Ghambit said, we're going to need more to go on. You can effectively play almost any pure cooperative solo (though it is quite possible your brain will explode if you try it with Space Alert)

And on another conversational thread re: boardgamegeek scores, it really depends on your tastes. There has in the past been a strong community of heavy eurogamers there, so euros have tended to bubble to the top in ratings. That's changing, but if you're more of a high randomness "ameritrash"y style of player, the ratings probably won't reflect your tastes all that well because of the weight of the historical data. Really, every community has its own bias, and you just need to find one that happens to align with what you like to play. BGG is heavy euro, the Tom Vasel reader list Ragnaros posted is clearly light euro. And Schild thinks that much like Zelazny's Amber, there is only one game, and it is called Magic, and all other games are pale shadows of it, which is an... interesting view, for sure.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1042 on: August 31, 2013, 04:52:03 PM

On BGG: I work with a pretty hardcore BGG guy. He runs the library's game night. It's mostly kids playing pretty tame stuff, ticket to ride. However, I think he really hates games. Whenever I try to engage him in conversation or turn him onto something timely (Cave Evil) he has no interest. I'm not sure how much this goes for the rest of BGG, but he seems to like trading games (I mean trading the actual games, not games about trading) and opening new boxes, reading the rules, teaching someone else to play and then trading it for something else. It's weird.

As far as my questions about solo gaming, I don't know. That's why I asked! I'll try that Pathfinder game when it goes up on Amazon, as well as Zombicide and KD:M and see how it goes from there, I guess.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1043 on: August 31, 2013, 05:24:48 PM

PACG is up on Amazon now for only $35; dunno how long you'd have to wait to get it though.  Tbh, it'll be quite "light" for you Sky (it's not much of a puzzle)... but fun nonetheless.  The death mechanics are pretty hardcore though, as you essentially lose your character and have to start over... grinding if necessary.   You'll have to run with 2 characters at least to be viable later in the Adv. Path; and if you get pwned regularly maybe add another... which adds difficulty   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Arkham is not a solo game, regardless of what the rules say.  I've never even played it and can tell this.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1044 on: August 31, 2013, 05:26:51 PM

I can't see how a Pathfinder game would be better than Mage Knight for solo gaming.

Also, you have a PC. Solo boardgaming is a little goofy anyway.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: August 31, 2013, 05:35:01 PM

As far as my questions about solo gaming, I don't know. That's why I asked! I'll try that Pathfinder game when it goes up on Amazon, as well as Zombicide and KD:M and see how it goes from there, I guess.

Has there been any word on Kingdom Death: Monster? I was vaguely intrigued by the kickstarter, but I didn't get a really great feel how much game was actually there and was afraid of it ending up in limbo. Also, totally not surprised a BGG guy wouldn't be interested in Cave Evil. Cave Evil is pretty much the ameritrashiest game I have ever seen. I play both sides of the ameritrash/euro game divide, but even I couldn't justify that to myself.

As for other solo games, I've played Sentinels of the Multiverse solo a couple of times. Pandemic, Arkham Horror, Ghost Stories. Like I said, almost any co-op will work easily. Mice and Mystics, much like the Pathfinder Card Game can give you that sort of pseudo RPG vibe, though in a lighter, Redwallesque world. Archipelago has a solo expansion deck thing. I think all of the recent Uwe Rosenberg games (Agricola, Le Havre, Ora et Labora, etc) have solitaire rules where you try to beat your high score. Labyrinth, which is a grognard two player terrorists vs everyone else game using some of Twilight Struggle's systems has a solitaire variant. I was actually going to play the Pathfinder card game solo today, but got sucked into FFXIV instead, or else I'd give you a review.

You can also do advanced searches on BGG. I'd give you a direct link, but BGG seems to use [ ] in its query URLs, which the forums are not loving. Just enter 1 for minimum players and tweak from there as desired it should pull everything up.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1046 on: August 31, 2013, 05:38:10 PM

Arkham is not a solo game, regardless of what the rules say.  I've never even played it and can tell this.

Why not? It's a cooperative with no traitor mechanic, and no real secret information. I've played it solo a couple of times. Like Schild sort of alluded, it's a little strange playing against an automata that you're running when we have expensive devices built to do exactly that in a digital form, but sometimes you just want to fling cardboard around and can't find anyone else who's interested on your schedule. You miss all of the table banter, but you need to make absolutely 0 rules tweaks to make most coops work as solo games, though you might need to run multiple characters at once.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1047 on: August 31, 2013, 09:19:34 PM

The "Game" part of Kingdom Death looked like total shit.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: September 01, 2013, 12:48:18 AM

The "Game" part of Kingdom Death looked like total shit.

It had a couple of things that sort of appeal to my weaknesses. You can slap a campaign mode on just about anything, and you'll get at least a second look from me. I also tend to like cooperatives and automata. Honestly, if it was just 50$ for a miniature free version, I probably would have pledged. But the price tag combined with the sort of iffy feel made it a non starter for me.

As an aside, played both Rialto and Village for the first time tonight. I liked Rialto, but it's one of those games that just isn't going to work very well the first time you play it. Like a lot of Stefan Feld games, it's got a collection of interesting mechanics that mesh in very interesting ways, but it's not immediately apparent what you should be doing in order to accrue victory points, and by the time you figure it out, the game will be half over. On the plus side, it does play quite quickly, but the other people I was playing with weren't loving it, so we moved on to Village.

Village was great. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while, and it really took the expansion coming out for me to finally push it on to the table. Great worker placement/resource management type game, except one of the resources is time, and whenever your time track completes a lap, one of your workers dies (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as you can still get VP depending on what role they died in). Definitely going to be playing this again really soon with the Village Inn expansion tossed in.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1049 on: September 01, 2013, 07:39:01 AM

I'll have the beta rules in the next couple months. I love the setting and the miniatures, the game seems pretty cool. Go on hunts, take resources and build up your community so you can gear up for the next hunt and survive the random encounters, have enough kids you don't wipe. I'm all in on that one, some of the expansions are pretty wild. My main uncertaintly is whether to open the beta/resin box or sell it for a couple grand on ebay (only 27 sold on the KS, a single 450-run mini can go for more than $100).

As far as why solo board game? I like board games and it's tough to find anyone to play the kind of stuff I enjoy. Playing solo, I can learn the rules while enjoying the game so I can at least take it to game night at the library for a demo or make it worth taking to a meet-up somewhere.

PC gaming, meh. I hardly even play pc games, and it's usually to kill time when I'm too tired to do any real hobby.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: