Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 589952 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #980 on: July 20, 2013, 01:09:12 AM

I think it's way better than Descent 1.0 myself, primarily because if I'm going to play a game like that for a long session, I'm just going to run D&D or Pathfinder or something. The quicker scenarios, less fiddly spawning rules, shorter turns, etc., all work to keep people more engaged in what is going on in my experience. It fits more easily into a weeknight session or as one part of an afternoon of gaming rather than eating up the entire time.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: July 20, 2013, 10:18:52 AM

Meh, hordes of pissed off nerds are selling their 2.0s and going back to 1.0.  There's a reason a full set now costs like $600.  It's just flat out a better overall game.  The arguments 2.0 players use are akin to saying Eclipse is better than Twilight Imperium.  It's just not.  But yah, if time is your main concern then something like Ravenloft or 2.0 would probably better suit you.  The compromise being running in campaign mode so progress can be saved.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #982 on: July 20, 2013, 10:33:56 AM

Anyone who likes Dungeon Crawly games should really be all over Cave Evil.

Really, anyone who likes games should be (sorry it's expensive :( )
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: July 20, 2013, 12:30:46 PM

I'm planning on trading/selling my Serpent's Tongue for it; if it stays in print long enough.

edit:
or I'll buy this
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:35:21 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #984 on: July 24, 2013, 09:43:09 AM

Caveman Curling was really, really not a big hit with the wife. 

I would also put forth that its probably worth getting a copy of Cave Evil even if you aren't interested because it will probably sell for a few hundred bucks 6 months after the new printing. 
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: July 24, 2013, 01:55:40 PM

Ugh

Really hope none of you were backing The Doom That Came to Atlantic City
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts/548030

And Keith Baker's response
http://keith-baker.com/the-doom-kickstarter-my-response/
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #986 on: July 24, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Same thing for the Odin's Ravens Kickstarter.  Apparently the main guy has absconded with the $23,000 that he got from the Kickstarter and is MIA.   Ohhhhh, I see.

$52 of that is my money.   swamp poop
schild
Administrator

Reply #987 on: July 24, 2013, 02:17:59 PM

Game looked like total shit and I don't know why anyone gave them money anyway. (Doom, that is. I don't even know what Odin's Ravens is.)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #988 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:11 PM

Odin's Ravens is a badass two player game.  I'm glad I have an older copy to play, but I was hoping to have the newer version to use and keep this one mint.  Oh well.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: July 30, 2013, 08:14:19 AM

In the off chance anyone missed it in the Redesign thread, Shut Up & Sit Down is an awesome board game "review" show. I watched the sci-fi special last night and had to pause the video a couple times I was laughing so hard.

http://shutupshow.tumblr.com/episodes Has the first two batches of episodes
https://susd.pretend-money.com/ Is their new site where they are posting videos.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #990 on: July 30, 2013, 01:25:42 PM

Great show indeed.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #991 on: July 30, 2013, 02:01:11 PM

Yeah, those are pretty impressive.  I'll definitely keep up with their stuff.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #992 on: July 30, 2013, 06:45:09 PM

The one they recently did on Tales of the Arabian Nights actually makes me want to get it...why have I not heard of this game before?!   ACK!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #993 on: July 30, 2013, 06:46:32 PM

Tales isn't really a game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: July 30, 2013, 06:54:52 PM

Tales isn't really a game.
I gathered as much.  Still, it seems pretty neat.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #995 on: July 30, 2013, 07:02:14 PM

AFAIK, Agents of SMERSH is just Tales done better. Could be wrong though. Have access to both, played neither.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: July 30, 2013, 07:48:59 PM

AFAIK, Agents of SMERSH is just Tales done better. Could be wrong though. Have access to both, played neither.

I wouldn't say done better. The stories felt more "samey" in SMERSH, but that might be a side-effect of me liking the spy genre much less than the general fantastic genre of Arabian Nights. SMERSH is a cooperative game, which is either a plus or minus depending on how you feel about those. Tales is directly competitive, but it's hard to really care because everything is so arbitrary.

To echo what other people said, Tales really is a game in only the loosest possible sense. While it's frequently fun, there's 0 strategy involved, and it can be frustrating. It's easy to just get thrown in jail and stay there for the rest of the game, for example. As long as you know that going in and are just in it to enjoy and possibly elaborate on the stories occurring around you, it's fun. I file it in my "Play it with non-serious gamers while drinking" section.
schild
Administrator

Reply #997 on: July 30, 2013, 08:38:07 PM

Oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

If Cave Evil hits 600 pre-orders, they're going to sell a mounted board for $15.

That's actually a big fucking deal.

Stoked.
schild
Administrator

Reply #998 on: July 30, 2013, 08:38:50 PM

On the topic of non-games, I managed to try to min-max Tokaido at a local shop.

Tokaido is a game about walking through Japan.

I min-maxed it.

That makes me a bad person.

Also, I came in second because I misunderstood the turn-taking at the beginning. :(
Onoes
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: July 31, 2013, 12:27:43 AM

Oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

If Cave Evil hits 600 pre-orders, they're going to sell a mounted board for $15.

That's actually a big fucking deal.

Stoked.

Bah!  I just came to post that, you are too fast, go to bed.  Also, add $3 for shipping the us, so technically $18!  ZING!  (P.s. I ordered one copy of the game based on your excitement, now I'm debating ordering a second copy as it seems like it could actually appreciate in value.... hmmm)
schild
Administrator

Reply #1000 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:31 AM

This is my second copy, but it's not for resale. It's so I have a second copy in 20 years to actually play. Also ordered the upgrade kit for my first copy.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: July 31, 2013, 11:07:21 AM

Can someone sell me on Cave Evil? It just looks a little too Ameritrashy for me, and that's coming from someone who owns a significant chunk of the Fantasy Flight product line.

A lot of what I've read praise its themes, but I've always found the death metal aesthetic a bit laughable, and the horrible font and all black all the time components seem like they interfere with playability. How solid is the actual game for someone who vastly prefers Euro style games (My current top five off the top of my head is probably something along the lines of Terra Mystica, Caylus, Le Havre, Goa, and weirdly, Innovation)

I've almost purchased it a couple of times just because "Hey, cult classic rarity", but every time I go to pull the trigger I look at the illegible font on the website or the fact that they seem to use the word thee in place of the for absolutely no reason, and I just can't convince myself there's a good game in there.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54:27 AM

I've almost purchased it a couple of times just because "Hey, cult classic rarity", but every time I go to pull the trigger I look at the illegible font on the website or the fact that they seem to use the word thee in place of the for absolutely no reason, and I just can't convince myself there's a good game in there.

I have to agree.  The aesthetics for the game just scream "turn off" at me.  I don't even know what's going here.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1003 on: July 31, 2013, 12:46:16 PM

Cave Evil is a good game.  It's not the best game ever, but it's fun.  The production quality is pretty "meh".  Still, with their production numbers and the cult following you really can't go wrong with buying a copy.  If you buy it, play it once or twice and hate it you could still likely sell it for more than you paid for it in a year. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #1004 on: July 31, 2013, 05:40:37 PM

Cave Evil is fucking dripping in theme. It's nowhere near the best game, but it's probably the most thematic game I've ever played.

It's basically a very confrontational arena battle with cave digging and resource gathering and such.

Once you see the game in person, I have to say, the worries about "fonts" and shit go away. It's quite a striking product. The production quality COULD be higher, but it definitely works with the theme. There are moments of brilliance in the design (like the fact their endgame monsters are a million times better than the elder gods in Arkham Asylum). Hell, their whole doom track is better because it's basically inevitable - unless you kill all the other players, thereby winning.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1005 on: July 31, 2013, 05:44:00 PM

On the death metal aesthetic. It's self-aware of how goofy it is, but it takes itself very seriously. I think that helps, a lot. It really just nailed the whole thing. Even the necromancer abilities are _the_shit_ and completely in theme.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1006 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:59 PM

It's also a good thing you decided not to back Up Front, schild. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #1007 on: July 31, 2013, 10:02:23 PM

Looooool
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1008 on: August 01, 2013, 06:30:10 AM

The scary thing about the Up Front Kickstarter is that Valley Games is a fairly well established publisher.  Most of the other disasters have been some jackass getting in over their head.  I, thankfully, avoided this one as well, but I believe that I may forego any future kickstarters.  I've had one boardgame crap out on me and a fairly expensive miniature project that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  I have to imagine that more people being burned will cut into Kickstarter's business.  Maybe not, but they certainly need to improve their screening.  I have a feeling that Kickstarter will get dragged into a lawsuit at some point. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: August 01, 2013, 11:41:00 AM

I have to imagine that more people being burned will cut into Kickstarter's business.  Maybe not, but they certainly need to improve their screening.  I have a feeling that Kickstarter will get dragged into a lawsuit at some point. 

This has been my belief all along.  A sad truth.  But once they started lowering the bar on allowable projects (essentially, "hai, I wanna make a game" is enough), it was slippery slope bound for disaster.  Especially when we're talking large studios, established producers, and millions of dollars.  In the end, the only losers will be (you guessed it), the little guy just trying to get off the ground.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1010 on: August 20, 2013, 09:50:59 AM

Ran through Elder Sign a few times this week.  It's not bad, but it certainly isn't good.  It's a nice diversion game, but too repetitive for serious gamers or significant levels of play.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1011 on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:50 AM

It's purely fucking random. That's the horror of Cthulhu.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: August 20, 2013, 10:30:50 AM

My copy of the new Lords of Waterdeep expansion should be here this week or next.  Reviews are pretty good so far, and the mechanics add flavor :D

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1013 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:35 AM

Random is okay if you aren't trying to be serious, and there is a bit of strategy to it.  The dice don't bother me (and seriously, if you are one of the people that hates random anything and you buy this game you're just asking to be disappointed) nearly as much as the repetitive nature of it.  The common items and unique items are basically all identical in what they do.  There should be something to shake it up a bit. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #1014 on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:28 AM

I played it at length on the ipad (beat all but one campaign - the one that came in the latest expansion).

I need to pick up the Waterdeep expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: