Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585266 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #910 on: May 15, 2013, 10:01:30 AM

Back on the topic of Twilight Struggle, you can get it (and a bunch of other stuff) half off for a short time - http://www.gmtgames.com/news.aspx?showarticle=272

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #911 on: May 15, 2013, 10:34:32 AM

HEY HALF OFF SALE. Lemme look through it and collect links to good games for people.
schild
Administrator

Reply #912 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40:21 AM

REMEMBER THE COUPON CODE IF YOU'RE SPENDING MONEY:

TW1350

Twilight Struggle - It is the only game I would call nearly as good as Magic the Gathering. It also scratches the same feelings Magic does. Just an unreal game. If you have ONE other person to play strategy games with, this it the game you want, now and forever.

Not gonna leave commentary on the rest, you can read reviews and length of play on their pages.
Dominant Species, 3rd Edition
Here I stand
Labyrinth
Virgin Queen

You don't really need to own both Here I Stand and Virgin Queen, people are torn on which is better.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: May 15, 2013, 11:18:51 AM

REMEMBER THE COUPON CODE IF YOU'RE SPENDING MONEY:

TW1350

Twilight Struggle - It is the only game I would call nearly as good as Magic the Gathering. It also scratches the same feelings Magic does. Just an unreal game. If you have ONE other person to play strategy games with, this it the game you want, now and forever.

AND it has both Vassal and Cyberboard gamebox's.   Heart

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #914 on: May 15, 2013, 01:00:34 PM

Hm, wife telling me we don't need to spend any more money on board games because we haven't even played almost half of what we already have yet plus another stack of them already coming whenever Letters from Whitechapel ships.

She's right of course, but I'm still tempted to take advantage of the 50% sale.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #915 on: May 15, 2013, 01:07:56 PM

I am (thankfully) at the point where I cannot possibly buy something that I don't already own.   Ohhhhh, I see.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #916 on: May 15, 2013, 02:13:02 PM

Hm, wife telling me we don't need to spend any more money on board games because we haven't even played almost half of what we already have yet plus another stack of them already coming whenever Letters from Whitechapel ships.

She's right of course, but I'm still tempted to take advantage of the 50% sale.  awesome, for real

So true.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: May 15, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

$14 shipping kills it.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #918 on: May 15, 2013, 02:49:04 PM

Not when you realize all of their games weigh 47 lbs.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #919 on: May 15, 2013, 02:52:51 PM

Hell, just the unfilled box probably weighs 25.  They make some stout boxes. 
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: May 15, 2013, 03:31:41 PM

Weight: 1,709 grams

(3.75 lbs.)

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #921 on: May 15, 2013, 03:33:34 PM

Is that Twilight Struggle? I just put it on my scale - 6.8lbs.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #922 on: May 15, 2013, 03:35:50 PM

I next-day air a one pound package to Fargo every day, from San Jose. The price, pre-negotiated-company-rate-discount, is $57. Shipping is expensive. And yes, that's not next day air we're talking about here, but scale the weight up and the time out and that's not really unreasonable for a non-Amazon entity at all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #923 on: May 15, 2013, 03:40:16 PM

Yeah Twilight Struggle. Pulled it from funagain cause amazon said 2.5 lbs and that sounded wrong. https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=020789

You win good sir. Doesn't matter though. I have no money thanks to Hex.

(I am aware shipping is expensive--it is the destroyer of Kickstarter dreams--I just don't want to pay for it  tongue)

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #924 on: May 23, 2013, 05:58:16 PM

Ok, so I would like to pick up a boardgame or two, in order to play it on a semi-regular basis with between two and five people. If I were to buy any/all of Twilight Imperium, Talisman, Arkham Horror, would these be good choices?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #925 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:56 PM

Ok, so I would like to pick up a boardgame or two, in order to play it on a semi-regular basis with between two and five people. If I were to buy any/all of Twilight Imperium, Talisman, Arkham Horror, would these be good choices?

There are people that would know better than I, but my gut feeling says no.    Something that might help is does the group you play with favor lighter or more heavy weight games and American vs Euro style design?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #926 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:28 PM

American vs Euro style design?

The what?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #927 on: May 23, 2013, 06:11:02 PM

More accurately US vs German-style:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-style_board_game
schild
Administrator

Reply #928 on: May 23, 2013, 07:52:04 PM

More like ameritrash.

Anyway, Megrim - do you like randomness in your board games or do you want pure strategy?

Do you care about the art?

How smart are your friends?
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #929 on: May 23, 2013, 07:55:31 PM

Twilight Imperium takes literally six to eight hours the first few goes. - Talisman is Monopoly, but worse. - Arkham Horror, never played it, but not heard good things. Seems over complicated for a new group. - So, as JWIV said, probably no.

Have you played any board games besides Clue/Monopoly/Sorry? Asking what games are good for a random group is like asking what book or movie is good for a random person. Sure, some books are objectively better than others. But do you want hard sci-fi, mystery, non-fiction, romance, etc., etc. Having said that...

Dominion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjIMovsbslI (This guy does a great five minute review/explanation.) Spawned the "Deckbuilding" genre, which is huge now, and is still a one of the best examples. 2-4 players, takes like 3 minutes to teach and 20-30 to play.

Pandemic: Quick to learn, hard to master. I like the components in the old version better. Painted wood > plastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5V8q-Su8iM

Shadows Over Camelot: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15062/shadows-over-camelot Kind of like a WAY more indepth pandemic. But with a player secretly playing against you that needs to be uncovered. Awesome.

If you want something like Twilight Imperium, but not six hours (more around three) I have heard good things about Exodus: Proxima Centauri, but have not played it. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122842/exodus-proxima-centauri
If you want something like Talisman, but not shitty, I would recommend Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition). It is much closer to Dungeons and Dragons than Talisman, but you get premade heroes and quests, with a modular board, so you don't have to think/make shit up and it takes less time. First edition is bigger, but second is much streamlined to not take hours and hours.  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104162/descent-journeys-in-the-dark-second-edition
Not played Horor, so not sure about a similar but better choice.

In all cases, Boardgamegeek.com is your friend for finding way too much info about any games you might be interested in.

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #930 on: May 23, 2013, 07:57:41 PM

They... enjoy playing Settlers of Catan?

I'm actually not sure how to answer that last question.

I suppose aesthetics are a plus, some randomness is welcome (females are involved), nothing too grimdark serious business.

* instaposted, thank you for the replies. Former was aimed at Schild.

schild
Administrator

Reply #931 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:36 PM

THE ONLY RIGHT ANSWER IS CAVE EVIL.
schild
Administrator

Reply #932 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:46 PM

Just get Dominion. Catan is barely a game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #933 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:32 PM

Also, The Manhattan Project. Escape from the Aliens From Outer Space is an amazing one for groups, but pure strategy. But anyone can play it, literally anyone.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #934 on: May 23, 2013, 08:21:48 PM

Ticket to Ride gets mentioned a lot, rather disparingly, as a "gateway game" but nevertheless it's a mechanically clean and fun game. You collect suites of cards to lay down railroad track, trying to connect cities. It involves some strategy (choosing routes) and some chance (card draws).

Power Grid is one I've found tend to work with just about anyone, aswell. Each player runs a power company and competes for market shares and fuel to maximize profit. The profit is used to get better (more efficient) power plants and expanding the power network. A little chance, but mostly strategy. The theme is a little odd, but seems to be strangely involving to new players at the same time.

Stone Age is not a perfect game but its components are very cutesy and should make it an easy sell to the group. Basically it's about running a stone age tribe, collecting resources (food, wood, gold et c.) and trying to balance tribe growth against victory points.

If you're looking for a Talisman-clone, I'd recommend Prophecy. It's not as pretty as the new Talisman, but I think it has more interesting mechanics and actually plays differently every time. Talisman tends to be very repetetive from game to game. In essence it's very similar to Talisman and gets you the same basic adventure game experience.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #935 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:24 PM

If I had a regular gaming grp I'd most definitely do some persistent coop; descent, battlestations, and/or Space Alert campaign-mode.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #936 on: May 24, 2013, 04:24:08 AM

If I had a regular gaming grp I'd most definitely do some persistent coop; descent, battlestations, and/or Space Alert campaign-mode.

I should kick myself for not saying this   - but a persistant group  How about Risk: Legacy?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #937 on: May 24, 2013, 06:51:37 AM

Kinda bummed I missed the last game night at the library (I opted to paint instead). I saw the librarian who runs it had Lords of Waterdeep in the bag and I know he wants to give it a run.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #938 on: May 24, 2013, 08:12:23 AM

I got my peoples playing boardgames using Dominion as a gateway, it's quick and easy and there's a little strategy involved.

Had our first run through of Pret-A-Porter - its refreshing to have a setting that sits well with my non-geeky friends.  The game itself seems fun but it's a bit long mostly because of the awkward money chips.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #939 on: May 24, 2013, 08:32:04 AM

7 Wonders is pretty decent for that number and it's fairly light. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #940 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:44 AM

I just want to add, Talisman is and has always been terrible.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #941 on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:03 PM

Pretty much. Its only gameplay value is in the novelty of the adventure cards. Once you're familiar with those, it's Monopoly for D&D players.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #942 on: May 31, 2013, 02:16:09 AM

Anyone else play Terra Mystica yet?  If you like low randomness economy building euro-games, I'd highly recommend it.

Obligatory board game geek page at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/120677/terra-mystica

In broad strokes, you choose one of 14 fantasy races, each with their own unique power(s) and favored terrain and build up your empire over the course of 6 turns, mostly by terraforming neighboring terrain to your favored terrain type and building settlements on it.  Victory points are achieved at the end of the game by having the longest string of connected buildings, your position on various cult tracks, and special victory conditions over the course of the game.

There's effectively 4 different currencies you need to juggle (workers, priests, power, coins), and 5 different building types in a fairly simple faux-"tech tree".  There's no direct combat, and no in-game randomness at all, though there is some slight variation in game set up to keep things fresh and force you to change up strategy to optimize for board conditions.  Good amount of replay value, as the different races play fairly differently.  Play could potentially be pretty fast if you don't have terribly analysis paralysis prone friends like mine...  The box says 30 minutes per person, and that seems actually reasonable once you've got the rules down with reasonably fast play.

More of a gamer's game than a gateway game.  There are some fiddly rules, some of which are slightly nonintuitive, but I didn't have any problems once I read through them carefully.  Certainly better than your average Fantasy Flight rulebook.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #943 on: May 31, 2013, 07:01:57 AM

Pret-a-Porter back in stock and on sale today for $34.99 and usually their Friday deal is for the weekend.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1175

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: May 31, 2013, 07:15:04 AM

Pret-a-Porter back in stock and on sale today for $34.99 and usually their Friday deal is for the weekend.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1175

Even knowing the rules a 3 player game is taking us 2 hours :(
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: