Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:52:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585515 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #875 on: February 22, 2013, 01:15:29 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the "look like a nerd" thing.  If you're playing a game that involves sitting at a table and does not involve shouting or drinking beer, you've already lost that one.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: February 22, 2013, 01:36:55 PM

It's his own personal nerd holy war where gothic and mild "low" fantasy is cool whereas anything resembling Forgotten Realms high fantasy is for fags. I'm not going to argue with him; my breath is more worthwhile elsewhere.

Is less replayability the only knock you have against Puzzle Strike, Schild? I'm thinking of picking it up for the low grognard factor and because I already know how to play it, and I'll look into Omen and Seasons for a more srs bzns progression if I have any success at all in getting people to play something other than fucking Catan all the time.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: February 22, 2013, 01:57:25 PM

While I'm at it, are there any good hobby stores in (south) St Louis?
schild
Administrator

Reply #878 on: February 23, 2013, 01:51:13 PM

Nightfall is bad. Puzzle Strike is just kind of boring. Yomi is better but not really.  Maybe battle of indines?
Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:20 PM

Played a variety of (mostly co-op) board games recently. I'll provide a 1-2 sentence review, keep in mind this is from the perspective of playing these games with a total of 4 people. Also provided is a 1-10 enjoyability rating based on my experience (10 being best).

Arkham Horror: Really good co-op, nice flavor text. Expansion boards can make the experience a bit cumbersome by having too much to keep track of. (9/10)

Shadows over Camelot: Decent Co-op experience, good starting place for the more complex boardgame genre. Similar to Battlestar Galactica but not quite as good. (6/10)

Lord of the Rings Card Game: Fun co-op pre-game deck building experience (5/10), average experience due to imbalanced decks being easy to make and general game campaign difficulty randomness. (5/10)

Dominion: Free for All point based deck building game: I'm not a huge fan of deck building games that put too many cards on the table at once. (3/10)

Legendary: Co-op Deck building. This Marvel game takes an interesting combat based approach to deck building, I very much liked it. (9/10)

Eclipse-Rise of the Ancients: Free for All Space themed game. Win through building and army of space-ships, or conquering planets, or researching tech, or through alliances, or through an excellent economy. It's a really dynamic and cool game. (10/10)

I've tried many more games if people find these types of recommendations useful.  Cthulu
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: February 26, 2013, 08:24:46 AM

For all you Euro fans (are there any in this thread?)  I'm loving the new Tzolkin  It has interconnected gears that all turn to advance your workers so there is one action to do and all your guys move up on all 5 scales.  That's way nerdy cool.  Also has several routes to get points that you can't possibly do all of and a nice pressure cooker time crunch.  It is a bit solitarey, not much interaction but very worth checking out.

Why don't you try our other games?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: February 27, 2013, 07:46:46 AM

Waiting on more info to drop regarding the Waterdeep expansion that's supposed to hit this year.  All they're said so far is a title name.  This is one of the few games that the Mrs. actually enjoys outside of the safety of Monopoly, Sorry, and the other two-bit games.  I NEED MOAR CONTENT!   why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #882 on: March 22, 2013, 06:09:43 PM

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: March 22, 2013, 07:30:38 PM

Anyone know offhand a place I can get the Runebound 2nd Edition base set for less than the $100+ it goes for on Ebay?

Okay, so my other FLGS (as of earlier this week) has the 2nd edition base for like $50 (i think).  If you're still interested I'll put a hold on it and you can paypal me.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: March 25, 2013, 07:51:58 AM

Eclipse is on sale at CoolStuffInc.com for $54.00 today.  Think I may pick up a copy.

I also see Letters from Whitechapel is getting a reprint.  Everyone I game with has played and really enjoys Scotland Yard which I see compared to Whitechapel often.  Whitechapel is usually said to be better but both are good games.  But my question to anyone that has played both, is Whitechapel better enough to drop $38.99 on it when I already own Scotland Yard?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #885 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:17 AM

Anyone played Android:Netrunner?

How easy is it to pick up?
schild
Administrator

Reply #886 on: April 04, 2013, 12:04:57 PM

Pretty easy to pick up. I just ordered the new expansion (study in static), Arctic Scavengers (which I've been waiting for for like 2 years now) and Love Letter up with some store credit.

Edit: Whitechapel, is in my opinion, superior to Scotland Yard.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: April 04, 2013, 08:16:50 PM

Anyone played Android:Netrunner?

How easy is it to pick up?

Seconding Schild, found it fairly easy to pick up.  Watch a good YouTube video on it though, the instruction manual isn't the best.  Something about it doesn't really do it for me though, but it might just be that the more I got the game figured out the more I realized how bad most of the starting decks are and I don't think anyone I tried it with liked it enough for me to spend money on expansions.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #888 on: April 04, 2013, 09:03:33 PM

The problem with Netrunner is that it experienced zero of the evolution Magic did, thus it's still a mid90s card game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #889 on: April 04, 2013, 11:33:26 PM

Also, it is asymmetrical which I find I don't particularly care for in a CCG-style game for some reason.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:39 AM

Thing is, if you play enough MtG you'll end up with asymmetrical play regardless.  The deck variations can be so vast that you're essentially playing with/against a completely different type of "game" with different sets of rules even.  Just like Netrunner; which basically distills it down to control-defense (corp) or attack (runner), then variations on those.

It wasnt my cup o tea.  Not that I didnt like it, but I felt like if I was going to play something of the sort I'd just play VtES.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: April 13, 2013, 01:22:32 PM

Thing is, if you play enough MtG you'll end up with asymmetrical play regardless. 

Not really. I don't have to build 2 decks to enter a Magic tournament.

schild
Administrator

Reply #892 on: April 13, 2013, 05:42:02 PM

Netrunner tournaments are so weird. Everything about the setup of the game screams "casual." The concept of organized play with it is goofy.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: April 13, 2013, 06:58:12 PM

Thing is, if you play enough MtG you'll end up with asymmetrical play regardless. 

Not really. I don't have to build 2 decks to enter a Magic tournament.

Eh?  You play with a sideboard at least dont you?  What's the maximum size sideboard allowed?

schild
Administrator

Reply #894 on: April 13, 2013, 09:00:34 PM

Do you know how netrunner tournaments work, Ghambit?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: April 13, 2013, 11:03:02 PM

No, I'm talking about MtG tourneys.  I have no idea how Netrunner tourneys work.
Perhaps you can enlighten me, but as I recall you make a deck but are allowed to tweak it to a point during a match.  Dunno what that point is though.

schild
Administrator

Reply #896 on: April 14, 2013, 12:34:21 PM

For Netrunner tourneys, you build 2 decks: Corp and Runner. You then roll the dice at the beginning of each match and the winning player gets to pick whether he's playing Corp or Runner for Rd 1. It's stupid and a result of asymmetric design.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: April 14, 2013, 02:20:38 PM

Played a 4 person game of Race to Adventure last night.   
It's fairly quick to pick up and moves along very very quickly. Options and strategy are fairly limited, so I'd rate it as an extremely light euro game.  Cardstock is nice and heavy, and the art and theme are to the usual Evil Hat standards.  You can increase the game difficulty by flipping over X number of cards to their 'shadow' versions which increase the difficulty of individual missions and introduce barriers to board movement. For our initial playthrough however we kept it strictly vanilla.

Overall, it's a bit light for my taste I think, but at 20-30 minutes a playthrough, it still warrants a place on my shelf.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #898 on: May 07, 2013, 12:15:10 PM

There are already a couple posts in the "mobile boardgame" thread , but I just noticed that Talisman-Prologue is out, with the multiplayer version coming out this summer (also for mobile devices).

Here is the website (be sure to check out the demo, only 102MB)

http://www.talisman-game.com/

Well, for what is it, it's great fun, IMO; also, why not, a good introduction to fantasy boardgaming,  for your friends/kids/fiancee, just like the '80 version, albeit on the PC.

For the next 20 days, you can get the Full Version - Standard edition for $4.99 and the Premium Edition (windows desktop theme + soundtrack) for $6.99

http://www.talisman-game.com/prologue/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #899 on: May 07, 2013, 02:08:04 PM

Speaking of Prologue, I am like on the edge of my seat waiting for the Twilight Struggle PC version to release.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: May 08, 2013, 07:22:19 AM

Speaking of Prologue, I am like on the edge of my seat waiting for the Twilight Struggle PC version to release.

Have only played this twice and it's possibly my favorite board game that I own.  When is it supposed to come out?

schild
Administrator

Reply #901 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:05 AM

Not soon enough.

Edit: I Preordered the day it was announced. Which was... a while ago :( http://www.gmtgames.com/p-397-twilight-struggle-digital-edition-windows-pc.aspx
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: May 10, 2013, 12:13:50 PM

Speaking of Letters from Whitechapel.  I have about $40 left on a gift card to use up at CoolStuffInc.com where my pre-order is waiting.  So trying to decide on another game to add to it to use up the remainder.  Based on the group I usually play with right now I'm debating (have never played any of them) -

• Arkham Horror
  • Cosmic Encounter
  • Shadows Over Camelot
  • Twilight Imperium or Eclipse

Suggestions anyone?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: May 10, 2013, 12:31:54 PM

Waterdeep has an expansion coming out in a few months, they say.  Also, Battlestar Galactica is coming out with their fourth expansion.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: May 10, 2013, 01:55:16 PM

Eclipse is a somewhat heavy game that plays up to 9 with the expansion.  It tends to push everyone into fighting with each other towards mid-late game.  It has a bunch of cool mechanics and gameplay feels quick.  it's a very good choice IMO if your group is ok with conflict and won't take it personally if their stuff gets blown up.

Why don't you try our other games?
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: May 10, 2013, 03:14:19 PM

Speaking of Letters from Whitechapel.  I have about $40 left on a gift card to use up at CoolStuffInc.com where my pre-order is waiting.  So trying to decide on another game to add to it to use up the remainder.  Based on the group I usually play with right now I'm debating (have never played any of them) -

• Arkham Horror
  • Cosmic Encounter
  • Shadows Over Camelot
  • Twilight Imperium or Eclipse

Suggestions anyone?

Cosmic Encounter is the current favorite in our group because of the high level of shenanigans it encourages.
schild
Administrator

Reply #906 on: May 10, 2013, 03:21:16 PM

(I actually hated Cosmic Encounter)

I really don't like anything on that list. Arkham Horror is offensively overrated. Pure randomness and basically trash. Not like "Ameritrash" trash, just trash.

Edit: What I'm saying here is that I'm of no help with this selection.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: May 10, 2013, 04:27:14 PM

(I actually hated Cosmic Encounter)

I really don't like anything on that list. Arkham Horror is offensively overrated. Pure randomness and basically trash. Not like "Ameritrash" trash, just trash.

Edit: What I'm saying here is that I'm of no help with this selection.

Just noticed they got Pret-a-Porter back in stock after being out for a long time...another one on my wishlist to try.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: May 10, 2013, 04:44:17 PM

Arkham Horror is more of a party game for nerds than anything that people with big competitive streaks will go for. Depending on your crowd that could be good or bad.

Cosmic Encounter is more competitive but gets pretty silly at times. It's an old classic but I think it shows its age a bit.

Shadows Over Camelot is a co-op w/traitor. Depending on crowd this can be awesome, or it can generate bad feelings. I personally like it a lot.

Never played Twilight Imperium or Eclipse.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: May 10, 2013, 04:52:31 PM

I think Schild probably sold me on Pret-A-Porter.  The worker placement will get part of the group to play and the crazy theme will get the rest to play.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: