Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585489 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:24 PM

I played Twilight Imperium for the first time yesterday.  I liked a lot of things about it, but it took 9 goddamn hours to finish the game.  I'm either too old or too young to have that kind of attention span.

Because it takes forever to play we don't play it often enough to remember all the rules - which makes it take just as long each and every time.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #841 on: January 21, 2013, 03:54:47 PM

Yeah, that's a game I should have gotten acquainted with in college or high school.  Definitely pre-marriage.  I'm lucky to get an hour to myself these days.  Now when the kids get a little older....... then we'll be in business.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #842 on: January 21, 2013, 04:05:45 PM

You also have to tack like an hour of setup and sorting bits and stuff and putting everything away onto the start and end of the game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #843 on: January 21, 2013, 04:21:44 PM

Yeah, I guess to be fair about two of those nine hours were spent setting up the board and explaining the game.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #844 on: January 22, 2013, 11:59:47 AM

I actually managed to find 6 other people to give Diplomacy a shot.

Took a godawful amount of time to explain the rules, but people were actually interested once we started playing. Unfortunately, we only got partway through a game before football was on, with everyone saying that we should have started much earlier (LIKE I SAID) and want to play again some time soon.

On the plus side, besides successfully herding enough cats to get a game on...I pulled Italy for our first go, so it's like I get a mulligan.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:51 PM

Bought a copy of DL11 Dragons of Glory today on Ebay. It's a strategic level game of the War of the Lance (essentially the board version of the War of the Lance PC game from the 80s')

Yes I am a sad, sad individual.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:59 PM

I think I have 2 copies of it.  why so serious?

For what it is, it actually isn't the worst thing ever. A couple house rules you probably want to consider, excavated from the dusty recesses of my memory:

- When a nation gets activated by invasion, troops should be placed before the invader moves in. Otherwise countries with their capitals sitting adjacent to their borders are insta-captured.

- Give ships some kind of stacking limit (2 or 3 per hex), because the little tokens fall over too easily if you stack them too high. This makes naval combat less all-or-nothing too.

If you somehow manage to find a copy of Dragon #107 it had some extra optional rules and such to really neckbeard the whole thing out.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #847 on: February 04, 2013, 09:50:16 AM

Cards Against Humanity is back in stock at Amazon.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #848 on: February 04, 2013, 03:35:18 PM

And already gone.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #849 on: February 04, 2013, 03:59:06 PM

Bought a copy of DL11 Dragons of Glory today on Ebay. It's a strategic level game of the War of the Lance (essentially the board version of the War of the Lance PC game from the 80s')

Yes I am a sad, sad individual.

I just looked this up and am kind of tempted to get a copy for my brother's birthday.  He ran a Dragonlance D&D game for a while and enjoys strategy board games; I think he'd get a kick out of it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: February 04, 2013, 04:17:33 PM

Caveats you should be aware of:

- 500,000 little carboard bits that you have to stack and unstack on the map all the time. There is a lot of sorting, every country has their own little pile of bits, and you have to keep track of which ones are permanently eliminated, which ones can come back, etc. You will need a fair amount of space for this.
- Outcomes can be extremely random at times which can be frustrating if you're used to more modern games.
- CHARTS

Basically just remember this was made in 1985 or whatever by RPG designers, not board game designers, and you'll probably be able to enjoy it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #851 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21:52 PM

SPEAKING OF 500,000 LITTLE CARDBOARD CHITS

Anyone here that likes board games, puzzles, chits, and civ-building that doesn't own Antiquity is "doing boardgames wrong."
schild
Administrator

Reply #852 on: February 04, 2013, 05:45:49 PM

speaking of

SPEAKING OF

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/splantiq.html

BUY IT. BUY IT NOW.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #853 on: February 04, 2013, 06:21:11 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #854 on: February 04, 2013, 07:27:56 PM

I don't know what version is that ugly. Here's what mine looks like:
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #855 on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:20 PM

Quantity in stock-  0

Heartbreak for someone, lol.  Glad I have my copy.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:46 AM

pfft amateurs. If it doesn't take up a ping pong table and have at least 1500 counters you might as well be playing Axis & Allies.. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

World in Flames!

Mind you 80% of people playing this now use Cyberboard instead..:P

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #857 on: February 05, 2013, 06:29:15 AM

I think Antiquity does have about 1500 counters.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #858 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:17 AM

Holy chit!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: February 05, 2013, 08:30:11 AM

Was looking at my old copy of Divine Right again over the weekend. Might try to see if the 12-year old wants to give it a shot, though we also still need to play Dominion, which arrived here for Xmas.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: February 05, 2013, 08:38:38 AM

I think Antiquity does have about 1500 counters.

No no I will not lose this board waving contest! Does it take 6 months to play a game?

schild
Administrator

Reply #861 on: February 05, 2013, 09:18:14 AM

Nope. You can lose to yourself in two turns. Its a real man's game.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:34 AM

Nope. You can lose to yourself in two turns. Its a real man's game.

awesome, for real

Of course if you have a slightly unstable Germany player and he rolls a double 1 on his first assualt on Warsaw we tend to get a similar result.

schild
Administrator

Reply #863 on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:02 AM

Dice base results are trash.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: February 08, 2013, 09:02:32 AM

Played a bit of Aye, Dark Overlord! the other day with (non-gamer) friends. It was pretty fun (sort of like a really simplified version of Paranoia debriefings), though I think most of that was due to the improv skills of some of the players, and not the game itself. Still, could be interesting as a one-off game... awesome, for real

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: February 09, 2013, 02:29:31 AM

Anyone know offhand a place I can get the Runebound 2nd Edition base set for less than the $100+ it goes for on Ebay?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:30 AM

I thought I saw one in a closeout at my FLGS.  Didnt know they were worth that much now - dammit.  I'll grab one if it's there.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: February 09, 2013, 07:39:43 PM

I'd be in your debt (figuratively as well as literally). :)

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:09 PM

Dammit, it ended up being "mists of something or other" expansion and not the base set.  Sorry.
Something more lolworthy.  They had gobs of Descent stuff just before 2nd edition came out and I was too spineless to pull the trigger even at 50% off.  Now??  You can buy Space Hulk for less than Descent 1st edition base.   why so serious?  I've seen em go for $250.  $600+ for an entire set.  Even TOI is over $200.

Knew this would happen.   Argh! 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #869 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:00 AM

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not picking up that second Descent first edition box when I had the chance.  I am, however, doing a little jig for getting Alter of Despair and Road to Legend at my local game shop for $50 each.....  awesome, for real
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: February 14, 2013, 08:59:16 AM

As expected there has been a backlash of hate on the 2nd edition.  It just doesnt have the depth of play, nor breadth that 1st edition had.  Initial fanboi reviews have turned into "where can I find 1st edition!?" 

Hopefully that changes in time though.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #871 on: February 14, 2013, 09:20:35 AM

Second edition is a much more realistic game, meaning that it doesn't take 20 hours per sitting to play. 
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: February 22, 2013, 02:09:47 AM

I'm in the market for a good deck-building game. Some of my friends have recently started playing and enjoying Nightfall and I need to present something to support my position that they are merely blinded to the fact that Nightfall's mechanics are shit because they've never played a deck-building game before. I've played Quarriors and Puzzle Strike and they're both fun although I haven't done the latter with more than 2 people so I don't know if it suffers from the same kingmaking and other problems Nightfall has (good multiplayer is important here). I've never played Dominion, but one of the group is already against it anyway because he doesn't want to look like a nerd, despite the fact that he is a giant fucking nerd.

Much as I love rolling like a billion dice at a time, I'm leaning towards Puzzle Strike because the character selection and greater potential for cheesy combos appeal to me. But this may detrimentally lower the accessibility for my gaming group. What do?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:16:11 AM by ezrast »
schild
Administrator

Reply #873 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:24 AM

Ascension is likely the best 2 player game. Dominion (or Tanto Coure hahaahaha seriously) is likely the best 2+ player game. However, Seasons is quickly becoming my favorite deck builder because it starts with a draft.

Puzzle Strike and Quarriors will bore you faster than the other traditional deckbuilders. Penny Arcade needs more expansions, because of the structure the variety just isn't there yet. I would recommend Omen if you could get a copy of it.

If you want details about specific games, just ask. I own every deck builder (except Dominion because there's no reason to play that when you have as many Magic cards as I do - not that they're the same, Magic is just strictly the better, more balanced game [and I own Tanto Coure which is literally Dominion with Anime Boobs, ugh]).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:17 AM

I've never played Dominion, but one of the group is already against it anyway because he doesn't want to look like a nerd, despite the fact that he is a giant fucking nerd.

Man, what? In what world is Dominion any more nerdy than Nightfall?

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: