Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585208 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: December 19, 2012, 10:09:03 AM

The card pool was a big beef with me (made especially bad by being asymmetric).  I'm not spending $100 on a small TCG just to start and forcing my gamebuddies to do the same.  And yah, there are all those "must have" cards in the game.    The 1st champion was a local and his strat. was pretty much "be the runner and make fucktons of runs, always."  And have the jinteki faction card in your deck if you're corp and make sure you have lotsa ICE and money.  And that was pretty much it.  The luck and bluff factor make the game very rock, paper, scissors in some regards.

Maybe it just needs some more time to marinate, I dunno.  But I did appreciate the smooth play it offered and the interesting jargon and It's worth getting into if you've got MtG levels of gaming opportunity nearby.  Is it better than W:I?  Yah.  Schild I can put you in touch with the GenCon winner if you'd like.  He's a pretty nice guy and would likely help.  The season is starting up soon and the OP kits are going out this month.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #806 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:53 AM

The Gencon decks were the first thing I built to see how "good decks" are played.

The corp deck was a piece of unoptimized shit. As such, I learned nearly nothing.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #807 on: December 22, 2012, 07:42:36 PM

Also broke down and bought a copy of Space Hulk.

Haha.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The miniatures are fucking amazing.  If you're looking for great minis, BTW,  you should get the new GW 40K box set.  They are amazing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #808 on: December 23, 2012, 07:04:00 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen them in a few years. Wish I had heeded the call when the limited edition box came out.

Did you hit that frp sale? It was sooo hot. I probably got a thousand bucks worth of minis for a hundred.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #809 on: December 24, 2012, 09:12:19 PM

Nah.  I'm done buying minis for a while, unless they come with some sort of game attached.  I could paint every night for the next 20 years and not finish what I have. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #810 on: December 25, 2012, 08:45:00 PM

I got a copy of Zombie Dice.  It's fun-ish.  It fits for when we want a fast game of something.

I got my kid Castle Panic and the xpac.  We haven't dived into the xpac yet, but the base game is pretty fun.  I'm not sure we'll ever want to play Forbidden Island anymore, as CP really fits in that co-op niche about as good as I've seen so far.

I was hoping for Mage Knight for xmas, but it didn't happen. ;(
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #811 on: December 26, 2012, 12:36:45 PM

Bought a couple of copies of the new Star Wars LCG.  It's not great.  I may or may not buy more of it, depending on how many they pump out.  I like the GOT and Cthulhu more. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #812 on: December 26, 2012, 04:42:33 PM

Game of Thrones is like "if you like this, you'll really like Magic, because this is just shitty Magic." I need to play CoC. Star Wars looked awful. Netrunner is Netrunner.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: December 26, 2012, 04:56:43 PM

Lords of Waterdeep showed up here for Xmas along with the card game Gloom. Lords of Waterdeep was fun--even the very non-geek wife got into it once she understood the rules. Nice quick pace.
schild
Administrator

Reply #814 on: December 26, 2012, 05:40:33 PM

Waterdeep is pretty much the best Euro gateway game.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #815 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:45 PM

I'm a big fan of Stone Age, although Waterdeep is good too.  

As far as the GOT/Cthulhu/Warhammer Invasion, etc. (LCG's) versus Magic, it's a tough deal to compare them.  Magic is a CCG, so you either have to pony up for individual cards that you want or buy the fuck out of boxes to build your sets.  With the LCGs you know exactly what your outgoing costs will be for whatever deck you want to buy.  My experience is that they're a lot easier to play more casually, which is what I'm into these days.  

Addendum-  Oh, also got Blocks in the East today in the mail.  It looks absolutely amazing.  I can't wait to get it going.  It's a beautifully put together block wargame about the Eastern Front (WW II) that plays in about 2 hours with 1-4 players. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:36:39 PM by ghost »
schild
Administrator

Reply #816 on: December 26, 2012, 07:22:22 PM

Speaking of new wargames, got but have not played Virgin queen.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #817 on: December 26, 2012, 08:04:53 PM

Yeah, I have that one too.  Right now it's a shelf piece, along with 7 Ages (which I picked up at a local store for $40  awesome, for real) and Here I Stand.  If you're interested in putting together a group for one of these let me know.  I may be able to set aside some time to drive up to Austin.  

Addendum-  I also just bought Maria, which looks to be seriously badass.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:31:17 PM by ghost »
schild
Administrator

Reply #818 on: December 26, 2012, 09:02:51 PM

I just haven't been able to wrap my head around any wargames. The instructions are written oh so poorly. Cave Evil, yea, I've got that down. More complex than any war game? Sure. Actual war games? NOPE. GMT can't write instructions for shit.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #819 on: December 26, 2012, 09:14:14 PM

Cave Evil is not a wargame.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Wargames are games that you'd expect to come straight from the factory with nicotine stains on the cards and rubber bands to hold the cards together, like Advanced Squad Leader and Up Front.  (As an aside, Up Front is being reprinted via Kickstarter and I would recommend buying it and I just bought a set of the 3 intro kits to ASL). 

My wargame I'm dying to try and have no one to play it with is Paths of Glory.  It looks amazing.  I doubt I can convince the wife to play it anytime soon. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #820 on: December 26, 2012, 09:23:25 PM

I used Cave Evil as an example of an overly complex game made by amateurs that could've easily botched the rule book and didn't. Rather, they knocked it out of the park.

GMT is a company of super nice professionals that write the world's worst rulebooks.

I will probably kill my Kingdom Death Kickstarter to get Up Front.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #821 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:13 PM

Picked up Legends of Andor today.  It looks fucking amazing. 
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: January 03, 2013, 07:29:27 PM

kill my Kingdom Death Kickstarter

I passed my will check on Kingdom: Death. It was a temptation - the game looks like it could be great, like Demon's Souls and Monster Hunter had a party with a really good co-op board game. They certainly ran a bang up Kickstarter campaign. I just don't have cash to throw at a project that /might/ turn out to be good - especially when there are so many games available that I already know are great. Lots of people love Zombicide, and while I enjoy it, I prefer Last Night on Earth for my zombie game fix.

Still, I'm glad Kickstarter is out there. Surfacing new and unrestricted ideas and getting a better read on the pulse of the gaming public can't be a bad thing. I look forward to many more amazing games as a result - I'm just going to wait to see the finished product before I buy into any of them. And I'm really not so much of a collector that I need to have Kickstarter exclusives - if it's a good game, it's a good game without them.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: January 03, 2013, 11:29:14 PM

Anyone have Descent:Tomb of Ice and/or Well of Darkness or Altar of Despair?  I'm looking to complete my collection.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #824 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:04 AM

kill my Kingdom Death Kickstarter

I passed my will check on Kingdom: Death. It was a temptation - the game looks like it could be great, like Demon's Souls and Monster Hunter had a party with a really good co-op board game. They certainly ran a bang up Kickstarter campaign. I just don't have cash to throw at a project that /might/ turn out to be good - especially when there are so many games available that I already know are great. Lots of people love Zombicide, and while I enjoy it, I prefer Last Night on Earth for my zombie game fix.

Still, I'm glad Kickstarter is out there. Surfacing new and unrestricted ideas and getting a better read on the pulse of the gaming public can't be a bad thing. I look forward to many more amazing games as a result - I'm just going to wait to see the finished product before I buy into any of them. And I'm really not so much of a collector that I need to have Kickstarter exclusives - if it's a good game, it's a good game without them.

Watch the play videos.  The game looks pretty bad.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:28 AM

Well ghost, I have to say you may be right -

When I first commented, I had seen the first video and was cautiously optimistic. The AI deck (horrible name,) seemed like a souped up version of the combat action decks from Mansions of Madness. I saw a very robust combat system, but if that meant it would be too fiddly was something I would have to wait and see.

At your suggestion, I checked in on the second video. This is a game where you construct multiple decks throughout the course of the game session, manage character and settlement sheets, glue minis together as you play, manage a strange inventory combo system, and try to form a consensus with your table as to which of the dozens of options your group will research. To say the game is fiddly would be an extreme understatement. Maybe they released this video to manage expectations now that they have passed the 1 mil mark?

In any event, I'm more glad than ever about my personal "No Kickstarter" stance. Although I doubt it, maybe they will pull off this ambitious design mixing tactical minis, co-op board gaming, and rpgs - if it's awesome, I'll buy it.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:22 AM

Sounds like Burning Wheel the boardgame.  Fail.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #827 on: January 05, 2013, 11:01:36 AM

Yeah, I would still get it if I wanted to paint the minis.  I have some Kingdom Death minis and they are just gorgeous.  But I have too many to paint right now and that's just going to add to a pile that will never get painted. 

As far as Kickstarter, I have no problem using it.  There are a lot of things that are basically pre-ordering, and I'm okay with that, but it's silly to think of it as anything else when you get some of the big players involved. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #828 on: January 05, 2013, 10:11:30 PM

Just played Omen ( http://www.smallboxgames.com/omen.html ) with a competent Magic player for the first time using the constructed deck variant. Man, that is just like, the best card game. It's griefy as hell and loads of fun.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: January 19, 2013, 02:33:42 PM

Did anyone play The Cave?  I like random tile games, wondering how this is.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129351/the-cave

Also:  Any recommendations on dice games?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:41:01 PM by Hawkbit »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: January 19, 2013, 04:48:21 PM

Also:  Any recommendations on dice games?

Farkle.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #831 on: January 20, 2013, 02:19:49 PM

I have been debating getting Netrunner now that the reprint is available in my local comics shop. Given that my daughter is still mastering the art of strategy in games (she likes to rush the Coco tiles in Catan Jr., which has allowed me to win every game so far), I'm wondering if the various deck-building games are appropriate for her yet. I keep forgetting that being able to read several years ahead of her age/grade means jack shit when it comes to mastering game mechanics.

At the same time, the recommended ages on most games seem wildly out of whack.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #832 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:46 PM

It's cheap enough, fun enough and stores small enough (unless you buy everything about it) that it's not a big risk to take. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: January 20, 2013, 04:11:18 PM

Netrunner doesnt really translate well to young kids not hip on 80's cyberpunk.  Also, it's not a deckbuilder... it's a TCG.  And despite its awesomeness it can be clunky and boring at times.  Summoner Wars is a much better kids TCG imo.  But if you wanna go true strat. 'deckbuilder' you need Dominion, Thunderstone, etc.  The investment is much less than Netrunner (you need 2 cores per person to be viable at Netrunner) and you can tweak the rules as written from game to game.

Hell, I'd almost recommend LotR:the card game over Netrunner, for kids.  Aside from Summoner Wars or just plain ol' vanilla MtG.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: January 20, 2013, 08:46:23 PM

Finally got my wife and 7yr old daughter to play a game of Dominion.  It was a little bit 'boring' for the kid, but she did well overall.  I can likely get her to play again.  My wife, on the other hand, became obsessed within the first few rounds.  I have a feeling it will get some serious play now.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: January 21, 2013, 09:39:07 AM

Finally got my wife and 7yr old daughter to play a game of Dominion.  It was a little bit 'boring' for the kid 

Sounds like a smart kid.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: January 21, 2013, 01:23:14 PM

I got a copy of Zombie Dice.  It's fun-ish.  It fits for when we want a fast game of something.

I got my kid Castle Panic and the xpac.  We haven't dived into the xpac yet, but the base game is pretty fun.  I'm not sure we'll ever want to play Forbidden Island anymore, as CP really fits in that co-op niche about as good as I've seen so far.

I was hoping for Mage Knight for xmas, but it didn't happen. ;(

Zombie dice is fun when you have a lot of people who want to play something and are very very drunk. There are colorful dice its fun simple and goes fast even with 10 drunks.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #837 on: January 21, 2013, 02:39:23 PM

I played Twilight Imperium for the first time yesterday.  I liked a lot of things about it, but it took 9 goddamn hours to finish the game.  I'm either too old or too young to have that kind of attention span.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #838 on: January 21, 2013, 03:05:49 PM

That's the only reason I'm opting for Virgin Queen and Dominant Species as my go to heavy games.

Nothing Sci-fi is worth 9 hours of your life.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: January 21, 2013, 03:10:00 PM

I played Twilight Imperium for the first time yesterday.  I liked a lot of things about it, but it took 9 goddamn hours to finish the game.  I'm either too old or too young to have that kind of attention span.

Yup every time I have seen people at my guild get togethers start that up it takes pretty much all day. Interesting game but just takes way to long.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: