Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:53:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585425 times)
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: June 12, 2012, 11:52:14 AM

You can also press the 'alt' key (when resizing) to unlock the map size constraints.  This way you can get it to line up.  Pain in the arse, but the price one pays for free web-based drag/drop of any art asset you want.

Yah - been poking around it a bit this afternoon and came across that. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #561 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:35 PM

I finally broke down and bought a copy of Super Dungeon Explore.  I am not looking forward to gluing together a bunch of minis.  I can handle the painting, it's the fucking glueing and modeling that gets me down.

I also got some of the new Dust Tactics SSU stuff (among other things).  The models for this game are really nice.  I've never actually played it other than a couple of solo runthroughs, but it seems pretty enjoyable.

I also found a bunch of my GW models from about 10 years ago.  Not only was my painting a travesty, the models themselves have not aged very well.  I'm really glad they've been going with some new interesting sculpts for a lot of this stuff. 

And lastly, since I've been getting a shitton of minis lately (there has to reach a point at which you'll never, ever get them painted in your lifetime and I think  I've hit it) and have therefore been lurking on Cool Mini or Not.  I've learned a lot there, not the least of which is the fact that I'm a terrible painter. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: June 14, 2012, 12:57:59 PM

I had my painting phase and then I finally just resolved myself to simply apply dark primer, a nice metallic (gold, bronze, or silver) or stone (for a chesspiece like feel), then a varnish.  Going with a conservative 'statue' type paintjob goes a long way in some circles and keeps the game classy.  The trick is getting enough black in the shadowy spaces to add depth.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #563 on: June 14, 2012, 09:51:33 PM

My problem is that I'm too goddamned anal to leave well enough alone.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I'll always see the flaws unless I get it just so, and even then I'll see flaws that bother me.  The shitty painting on Heroscape drives me bonkers, even though I'm a fan of the game.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: June 25, 2012, 01:08:21 PM

Anyone have some good suggestions for two player games?  Games that are actually fun to play with just two players?

I can find tons of highly rated/reviewed games that are 2-4/6/ whatever players.  But I know from experience that nine times out of ten a game that says 2-6 players sucks with only 2.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #565 on: June 25, 2012, 02:01:15 PM

2+ Player Games:
Ticket to Ride - Specifically 1910. Suddenly becomes cutthroat and amazing. TTR Switzerland/India are good options also.
Ascension (and by extension, Penny Arcade Gamers vs Evil) - Both are more fun than Dominion, whether or not they have better designs (they don't)
De Vulgari Eloquentia - Learn the language of Volgare! But seriously, worker-placement titles that are fun with 4 player become absolutely evil games of min-maxing with 2 players.
Zong Shi - See above.
Wiz War - See above, except it's Ameritrash combat.
Antiquity - Fucking stunning. Totally worth the cost of admission.

2 Player Only (they say you can play more on some of these, but don't):
Omen: Reign of War - A wonderful little card game that should appeal to you due to your knowledge of Magic.
Hemloch - A different sort of card game that is also fun, from the makers of Omen (small box games)
A Few Acres of Snow - Though be warned, the game has a major design flaw in terms of victory % of a certain strategy.
Twilight Struggle - If you want to roll deep. Full disclosure: I love this game in theory. I've yet to make it through 2 turns. Mostly because there are other, less impenetrable games that stroke that sort of card-driven gaming we like here.

If you can't tell, I fucking hate extremely random games.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:04:22 PM by schild »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #566 on: June 25, 2012, 11:46:43 PM

To add a few different games to schild's list:

The Kosmos line of games is pretty good for 2 player.  You can't beat games like Lost Cities or Odin's Ravens.  Also Jaipur.  Summoner Wars is cool.  Dungeon Twister is cool.  Battle Line is fun.  I like Carcassonne:  The City for two player, although regular Carcassonne can do the same thing.  War of the Ring is a two player game.  Race for the Galaxy is really fun with 2.  Most of the deck builders play well with 2.  Mage Knight is badass with any number.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: June 26, 2012, 05:03:03 AM

Pandemic, Lost Cities, Ingenious
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: June 26, 2012, 07:22:49 AM

If you can't tell, I fucking hate extremely random games.

That's great for me, I hate any game where I feel like the entire thing could be replaced by "flip a coin, whoever gets heads win the game".

Omen: Reign of War - A wonderful little card game that should appeal to you due to your knowledge of Magic.

Might just go buy this right now to try.  The people I board game with the most are the same people that I went to Magic tournaments with when I was big into it. (*edit* Or maybe not, don't really have $50 to drop on it at the moment.  Will have to wishlist it for later. sad)  Or is it really good enough to be worth getting over 2 other games?

To add a few different games to schild's list:

The Kosmos line of games is pretty good for 2 player.  You can't beat games like Lost Cities or Odin's Ravens.  Also Jaipur.  Summoner Wars is cool.  Dungeon Twister is cool.  Battle Line is fun.  I like Carcassonne:  The City for two player, although regular Carcassonne can do the same thing.  War of the Ring is a two player game.  Race for the Galaxy is really fun with 2.  Most of the deck builders play well with 2.  Mage Knight is badass with any number.

Lost Cities is less than $20? Sold.  I've looked at Race for the Galaxy before, might give that one a try as well eventually.

Ascension (and by extension, Penny Arcade Gamers vs Evil) - Both are more fun than Dominion, whether or not they have better designs (they don't)

I was very excited to play Dominion from all the hype and reviews.  I was very disappointed and quickly bored of it once I played it a few times.  But you think Ascension or the PA one are better?  One over the other?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:21:32 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:56 AM

Might just go buy this right now to try.  The people I board game with the most are the same people that I went to Magic tournaments with when I was big into it. (*edit* Or maybe not, don't really have $50 to drop on it at the moment.  Will have to wishlist it for later. sad)  Or is it really good enough to worth getting over getting 2 other games?

It's pretty fun, and the production values are pretty good as well.  Overall, I'd say it's worth the purchase over two cheaper games. 
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #570 on: June 29, 2012, 02:44:43 PM

Can say that Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, and Lost Cities (the 2-player card version) all went over well. Catan was ok, but one of the kids insisted on using house rules which sort of break the game. Also, the stupid board pieces do not perform well in a high-humidity environment.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Now I have to figure out what else would work...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #571 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:52 PM

I'd put this in the Kickstarter thread, but since it's a boardgame put together by Mike McVey and only has a few hours left. Just a heads-up for anyone interested in this sort of thing.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-wars-battle-for-alabaster

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: June 30, 2012, 08:07:44 AM

Got a chance to play a few games yesterday.  Lost Cities is fun, but way too simple to be lasting with me and most of the people I game with.  Might be a good one to play with the wife though.  Ascension is looking to be a big hit though, played half a dozen games of it yesterday and still want to play it more.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #573 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:32 AM

Lost Cities is great because you can play it in 20 minutes and people that don't generally game tend to like it (so good with wives, etc.).  It's never going to be super tactical, although it can be very cutthroat.  And it's very portable, which is nice.  Some games are just too unwieldy to take on trips.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #574 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:49 AM

Played a few games of Kingdom Builder with the wife last night.  It was our first time playing.  I'm not sure why this game gets so much shit.  It's a very light abstract with a theme pasted on, but it's fun.  It's not srius bznzz gaming, it's something you pick up to enjoy for what it is.  If you need serious business pick up Le Havre.  I also bought Nefarious (both this and Kingdom Builder are by Vaccarino of Dominion fame) at the Austin Dragon's Lair.  It's a much better shop than the one in San Antonio.  It's even got a kids section, which is awesome.  Nefarious looks cool, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. 

I also, on a lark, bought ShadowRift, which seems to be an interestingly done cooperative deckbuilder.  I've yet to play it, but the dude who designed the game actually emailed me and told me that he'd packed it up for me and hand delivered it to the post office so that I would get it before the 4th.  That's pretty cool, and the game looks interesting once you figure out how to sort all the cards out. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: July 08, 2012, 01:19:59 PM

Gonna take the dive this week and pickup Lords of Waterdeep.  Should be fun :D

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #576 on: July 08, 2012, 02:11:00 PM

The San Antonio DLair has rape rooms. It creeps me out.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #577 on: July 08, 2012, 03:04:04 PM

I know it's only an hour and 15 minutes away, but why the fuck have you ever been to the SA Dragons Lair, schild?  It's like going from San Francisco to Birmingham.  

Addendum-  the SA Dragons Lair is still a decent store.  It's just that the people are weird.  But I get that feeling everywhere I go here, so I just chalk it up to redneck.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #578 on: July 08, 2012, 09:22:32 PM

We had a game store like that too. Matchplay (formerly Neutral Ground) in Mt. View, I think it closed a few years ago. Probably pushed out of business by the NON creepy game stores.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #579 on: July 08, 2012, 09:27:05 PM

I know it's only an hour and 15 minutes away, but why the fuck have you ever been to the SA Dragons Lair, schild?  It's like going from San Francisco to Birmingham. 

Addendum-  the SA Dragons Lair is still a decent store.  It's just that the people are weird.  But I get that feeling everywhere I go here, so I just chalk it up to redneck.
I was going somewhere with the girlfriend in San Antonio, she had a meeting, and I noticed that shit DLair across the street from the office she was going to.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #580 on: July 09, 2012, 01:39:53 PM

We had a game store like that too. Matchplay (formerly Neutral Ground) in Mt. View, I think it closed a few years ago. Probably pushed out of business by the NON creepy game stores.

God, that place was creepy. The only game store I've ever walked into and became immediately aware "I am the only woman in here and the nerds here do not like it." Other game stores, I might be a curiousity (although not very often), but there's never hostility. Matchplay was a lot more like "WHO LET SOMEONE WITH A VAGINA IN HERE."

God Save the Horn Players
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: July 09, 2012, 01:59:13 PM

All the best gamestores I've seen were actually female-owned and/or employed.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #582 on: July 10, 2012, 07:58:26 AM

I know it's only an hour and 15 minutes away, but why the fuck have you ever been to the SA Dragons Lair, schild?  It's like going from San Francisco to Birmingham. 

I was going somewhere with the girlfriend in San Antonio, she had a meeting, and I noticed that shit DLair across the street from the office she was going to.

The sad thing is that the Dragons Lair in SA is by far and away the best store in town.  There's nothing that even comes close to comparing. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #583 on: July 10, 2012, 08:12:32 AM

At one point when I was near the tail end of playing MtG in the 90s, a new shop opened up in town. I went in and there were two folding tables, a shelf with a few boxes of cards, and a pile of garbage in the corner, mostly doritos bags. Shitty stained carpet, they just moved into the building and opened up without doing a damn thing.

I think it lasted about three months.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #584 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:33 AM

At one point when I was near the tail end of playing MtG in the 90s, a new shop opened up in town. I went in and there were two folding tables, a shelf with a few boxes of cards, and a pile of garbage in the corner, mostly doritos bags. Shitty stained carpet, they just moved into the building and opened up without doing a damn thing.

There's like 4 or 5 of those in town, at the moment.
schild
Administrator

Reply #585 on: July 10, 2012, 11:04:03 AM

I don't want to hear stories about people quitting Magic unless they are actively boxing their shit up and sending it to the f13 donation box.

But really, those stores still exist. As Ghost mentioned, SA is full of them. SA is also just generally the shittiest place on earth... besides Houston and Dallas.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #586 on: July 10, 2012, 11:43:10 AM

I understand Austin is suppose to be really cool and all, but I still can't figure out why the fuck those of you in Texas are still there, based on the way you post about it (and, well, based on every single news article I see come out of the state).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:05 AM

Their unemployment is a lot lower than ours and so is their cost of living. So, tradeoffs.

schild
Administrator

Reply #588 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:58 PM

I understand Austin is suppose to be really cool and all, but I still can't figure out why the fuck those of you in Texas are still there, based on the way you post about it (and, well, based on every single news article I see come out of the state).

You have no idea how much we all wish Austin was in a different state.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #589 on: July 10, 2012, 08:00:32 PM

Yeah, and unlike most of these folks I actually had a fucking choice.  But I'll be unmaking that choice ASAP. 
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:55 AM

To drag the thread slightly back on topic...

Just picked up Scotland Yard for the Ipad...ok it's not exactly deep boardgaming but a faithful reproduction, easy to use. Fun to play with the kids.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:19 AM

Just picked up Scotland Yard for the Ipad...ok it's not exactly deep boardgaming but a faithful reproduction, easy to use. Fun to play with the kids.

Scotland Yard is one of my favorites even if it is pretty simple, so satisfying if you actually manage to get away.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #592 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:09 PM

God, that place was creepy. The only game store I've ever walked into and became immediately aware "I am the only woman in here and the nerds here do not like it." Other game stores, I might be a curiousity (although not very often), but there's never hostility. Matchplay was a lot more like "WHO LET SOMEONE WITH A VAGINA IN HERE."

Is there anything decent in the way of gaming stores in the greater mountain view / palo alto area these days?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: July 12, 2012, 06:28:16 PM

Best game stores in the Bay Area:

Game Kastle over by the San Jose Airport
Gator Games in San Mateo
Black Diamond Games in Concord
Endgame in Oakland

Also, for Magic only, Superstars in San Jose

GK is probably your best bet in our neighborhood, it's a great store.

schild
Administrator

Reply #594 on: July 12, 2012, 07:36:52 PM

I would kill a small monkey to have access to Superstars 7 days a week.

Edit: If you love Scotland Yard, try to track down a reasonably priced copy of Letters from Whitechapel.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: