Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 589364 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: April 03, 2012, 05:51:56 AM

I threw it on the tv (we are one of the lucky few to have the grandfathered youtube channel on our Roku) while we were cleaning up after dinner and getting our daughter ready for bed. It's perfectly fine for that kind of thing--go on in the background. I think of it as a geek chat show with a game in the center. Without really paying attention, I got a sense of the game. Perfectly fine for what it is.

I am part of the Joss/Felicia brigade though.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:41 PM

I think the problem with that Wheaton one is he seems so forced, like he's trying extra hard and it just comes through as hammy.

Over and out.
schild
Administrator

Reply #492 on: April 03, 2012, 01:10:05 PM

He always comes across that way, he's a terrible actor.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:09 PM

I think the problem with that Wheaton one is he seems so forced, like he's trying extra hard and it just comes through as hammy.

You just described most tabletop geeks.  So in that sense the show is perfect.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

On-topic:  I FINALLY traded "High Frontier" for "Le Havre+expansion."  Anyone have any time with either, specifically the latter?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #494 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:07 PM

I'm skipping Le Havre because it seems to fill some unnecessary gap between Lords of Waterdeep (a very light Euro) and Pret-A-Porter (a relatively heavy one).
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: April 05, 2012, 04:54:27 PM

You just described most tabletop geeks.  So in that sense the show is perfect.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

On-topic:  I FINALLY traded "High Frontier" for "Le Havre+expansion."  Anyone have any time with either, specifically the latter?

But more tabletop geeks aren't making web shows.  I've seen some other game demos on Youtube made by regular Joes that are much better than what Wheaton did.

On topic:  Got talked into playing a game called Urban Sprawl.  It was terrible.  The multipliers for scoring seemed way off.

Over and out.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #496 on: April 06, 2012, 06:49:41 AM

What makes a board game Euro style?

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: April 06, 2012, 06:56:07 AM

The instruction manual is translated from German  Grin

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: April 06, 2012, 07:20:55 AM

Euro style is everything but monopoly, which eliminates 99.9% of US board games.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: April 06, 2012, 08:16:21 AM

I'm skipping Le Havre because it seems to fill some unnecessary gap between Lords of Waterdeep (a very light Euro) and Pret-A-Porter (a relatively heavy one).

I'd have gotten LoW but it's too new and trade value is too high.  I have too many goddamned games so it's either trade or no sale.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: April 06, 2012, 10:14:29 AM

American (aka Ameritrash) tends for more luck - such as die rolls  and player conflict.

Euro tends to be more cooperative and about the execution of game mechanics and strategy.

Think Axis & Allies vs Settlers of Cataan

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #501 on: April 06, 2012, 10:19:12 AM

Also the mechanical ties to the game's theme tend to be a lot stronger in American games - Euros are generally more abstract.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #502 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:59 AM

Yeah, that's another big part of it.  Ameritrash is a lot more theme centric (Mansions of Madness being considered just about the height of Ameritrash in newer games) than Euro style.  I enjoy many Euro games, but think I really tend to favor Ameritrash.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: April 06, 2012, 10:09:13 PM

Everything involving this sort of meta-nerd religion that revolves around Wil Wheaton, Joss Whedon, and that stupid horrible redhead could go down on a plane flight to PAX or something and I'd be ecstatic.

It's all unfunny, most of their opinions are bad (and somehow, wrong), and everything they do is the height poor delivery.

God, it's fucking awful.

This is why I come here.  In love
schild
Administrator

Reply #504 on: April 07, 2012, 10:22:48 PM

Girlfriend picked me up Antiquity at Fun Again Games since it was only $129. Will have it by Thursday unless they DON'T actually have it in stock. I am STOKED.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:47 AM

I eagerly await your upcoming post about managing enormous stacks of tiny chits.  If ever a game needed digital conversion, it's Antiquity.  Fanastic game other than that complaint.
schild
Administrator

Reply #506 on: April 09, 2012, 09:21:30 AM

I eagerly await your upcoming post about managing enormous stacks of tiny chits.  If ever a game needed digital conversion, it's Antiquity.  Fanastic game other than that complaint.
There's a guy on BGG who does cheap ass acrylic laser cutting.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/775525/laser-cutter-online/page/1

I'm gonna have him work up total conversions for the chits in Antiquity and the chits in Cave Evil. Cave Evil, btw, after playing a 4 player game, is still a stunning achievement in Ameritrash gaming.
schild
Administrator

Reply #507 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:45 AM

Antiquity shipped! Here's to hoping the thin ass box isn't all jacked up.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #508 on: April 10, 2012, 11:25:58 AM

That's a great price.  Get ready for a billion little bitty cardboard pieces that you'll have to sort.  I recommend getting a plano box before you even get your copy.

Also, why skip Le Havre?  It's badass.  Definitely my favorite Rosenberg game (I haven't played Ora et Labora yet).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:31:24 AM by ghost »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: April 10, 2012, 02:39:17 PM

LoW is only $31w/free shipping now.   swamp poop
http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Waterdeep-Dungeons-Dragons-Board/dp/0786959916

must.... resist

Oddly it's up on quite a few folks' trade lists though.

schild
Administrator

Reply #510 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

It's a very, very light Euro and the best gateway Worker Placement games. The only reason it would be on someone's list is they're either A. Stupid or B. Only like heavy games.
schild
Administrator

Reply #511 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:41 PM

Mother of god.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #512 on: April 13, 2012, 07:36:02 AM

I warned you......  why so serious?

Good thing it's awesome.
schild
Administrator

Reply #513 on: April 13, 2012, 08:05:08 AM

I have a Plano 3700 box coming in from Amazon today. It should ease things on the horror scale of trying to fish shit out of little baggies for every action.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:08 AM

Oh man, that looks fun.

Empire building style?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:10 AM

Oh man, that looks fun.

Heh, that was my initial reaction as well.

"I have no idea what that is, but it has tons of pieces and a hex grid, it must be fun!"

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #516 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:41 AM

City-Building, but yea. I'd been tracking down a copy for a long, long time. Someone on f13 offered me in purchase but I didn't really want to remove it from someone else's collection at the end of the day. Finally a store (Fun Again) got a pile of copies in. If I hate it, I can just dump it for more than I paid. Splotter games hold value, intensely.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13122/antiquity

I don't know how many copies they have left, but I can tell you four things about Antiquity:

1. Getting a mint copy box-wise is near impossible as the boxes aren't the most well-built things. Mine came super mint.
2. Getting a copy at all is incredibly hard in America.
3. Getting a copy for under $150 is highway robbery.
4. The rules are super straightforward, there's simply a lot of pieces.

Buy it here: http://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=018861
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:14:26 AM by schild »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: April 13, 2012, 10:40:30 AM

City-Building, but yea. I'd been tracking down a copy for a long, long time. Someone on f13 offered me in purchase but I didn't really want to remove it from someone else's collection at the end of the day. Finally a store (Fun Again) got a pile of copies in. If I hate it, I can just dump it for more than I paid. Splotter games hold value, intensely.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13122/antiquity

I don't know how many copies they have left, but I can tell you four things about Antiquity:

1. Getting a mint copy box-wise is near impossible as the boxes aren't the most well-built things. Mine came super mint.
2. Getting a copy at all is incredibly hard in America.
3. Getting a copy for under $150 is highway robbery.
4. The rules are super straightforward, there's simply a lot of pieces.

Buy it here: http://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=018861

I'd love to pick it up, but that price is just way outside my entertainment budget.

We're still getting mileage out of Agricola here, and that was expensive for me.  I'll put it as pie in the sky for when my bro is visiting and we have 3 players every night.   
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #518 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:12 PM

Looks like Ogre is up on Kickstarter.   I'm not sure this is one that I'm all that interested in, but I'll probably buy it anyway.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: April 13, 2012, 09:25:41 PM

I really need to get off my ass and flesh out some fun game mechanics.  So much of this shit just needs to go straight to ipad and forego the expensive and time consuming board game process (no need to kickstart).  I love board games, but frankly I'm finding half of them work much better as pc games where keeping track of all the rules, scores, and chits is handled for you much more enjoyable.  If you have a neat idea for a board game, just make the damn thing electronically first...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #520 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:32 PM

I really need to get off my ass and flesh out some fun game mechanics.  So much of this shit just needs to go straight to ipad and forego the expensive and time consuming board game process (no need to kickstart).  I love board games, but frankly I'm finding half of them work much better as pc games where keeping track of all the rules, scores, and chits is handled for you much more enjoyable.  If you have a neat idea for a board game, just make the damn thing electronically first...

This presumes that the social aspect is unimportant, though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: April 13, 2012, 09:55:03 PM

It very well is important, but you can still be social with the electronic version (be it passing around the ipad, multiple ipads, or using voice chat over pc while while playing the game online), while being able to get a great playable game out to the world.  Production and distributional of a digital board game is massively easier than attempting to do it the old fashioned way.  Make your money doing that, then get your physical version out if you must.  I just find it somewhat interesting that all the board games I see on the app store are electronic versions of real games, when at this point I could easily see it going the other way around.

-Stephen Colbert
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: April 14, 2012, 09:32:47 AM

I agree, but disagree only in that a MUCH better platform for digitized boardgaming is XBL and PSM (built-in achievement system, voip, couch play, etc.).  Cataan is a prime example, though it's lost steam as of late.
That niche is WIDE open for a smart dev. to exploit, as there's very little in the console market boardgamewise.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: April 14, 2012, 10:30:35 AM

Yeah, I really meant any digital platform.  Was mainly referencing iOS because I've been playing it a lot lately, but any platform would work. 

-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #524 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10:53 AM

On the topic of producing physical board games, I found this site recently:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

It's basically CafePress for games where you upload digital art and they do all the production -- you can use it to make a one-off prototype for yourself, or you can set up a "store" for your game, have them sell it for you, and get a cut of the sales.  Seems pretty awesome to me.

An iPad app or whatever is going to be easier to rapid-prototype and sell, but you definitely don't need a big chunk of Kickstarter cash or a big publisher to produce something physical.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: