Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 589704 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #455 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:42 PM

I'll post a link here when the address pops up for SCG Open Dallas/Ft. Worth.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #456 on: March 07, 2012, 07:39:00 AM

I'm thinking that, as of this moment, I am going to forego buying Thunderstons: Advance and the revised version of Descent. 

Beating a Dead Horse
schild
Administrator

Reply #457 on: March 07, 2012, 08:57:22 AM

I see no need to ever buy Thunderstone myself as it just looks like Magic's younger, far more retarded cousin.

Descent I simply don't care about now that I have Mage Knight, Cave Evil, and Wiz War.

I still haven't gotten around to playing Lords of Waterdeep.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #458 on: March 07, 2012, 10:07:36 AM

Thunderstone is enjoyable.  I think it fills a niche for folks like me-  that don't want to go out and spend a billion dollars trying to outfit a decent Magic deck or five.  The original descent is also enjoyable.  It's a completely different deal than any of those games you mentioned.  With Road to Legend it almost can approximate a light RPG. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #459 on: March 07, 2012, 01:46:22 PM

Thunderstone has much more in common with Dominion than it does with Magic.  It's essentially Dominion with a little bit of Diablo on top.

Between the two, I'd say I prefer Dominion, though.  Same core gameplay with less shit to keep track of.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #460 on: March 08, 2012, 08:09:34 AM

A lot of people don't like Dominion, but the gameplay is fairly elegant.  I love a game that I can zip through in 30 minutes and enjoy. 
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: March 08, 2012, 09:06:30 AM

A lot of people don't like Dominion.... 

Count me in, it's the only board game I've bought in recent memory that I plan on putting on eBay or something because not a single person I've played it with cares if we ever played it again. (myself included)  I don't know if I just had too high of expectations but the game just seems so simple it's boring to me, out of your initial selection of cards you could just remove half of them in most games because you know exactly which ones everyone will be going for.

Just not for me I guess.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #462 on: March 08, 2012, 12:17:15 PM

I wasn't saying Thunderstone is actually like Magic. I was saying I can grab one of my 10 Magic decks and get any of my friends together and have more fun with it than the light, poorly-drawn fantasy of Thunderstone.

Dominion is horribly overrated. I'll take the horrible hentai knockoff Tanto Cuore any day over it, or Ascension is I want a quick DBG fix. Penny Arcade GvE is even better.

Anyway, everyone that praised Dominion for the past year or two should be playing A Few Acres of Snow now anyway if they're into removing things to be quicker and more degenerate than your opponent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #463 on: March 08, 2012, 01:08:19 PM

If I bring Tanto Cuore into my house I'm getting divorced. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #464 on: March 08, 2012, 01:59:15 PM

My girl just ignores the fact the theme is awful, as do I.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #465 on: March 08, 2012, 03:26:58 PM

Yeah, it's a much easier sell for the wife with Dominion.  She's into King Arthur and all that sort of shit, so little japanese maids won't work.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #466 on: March 09, 2012, 06:54:16 PM

Just purchased: 

1.  Sentinels of the Multiverse-  looks to be very fun, but the fuckers could have provided a box that would actually hold all the cards when sleeved
2.  Android-  fucking awesome
3.  Phantom league-  also fucking awesome
4.  2 de Mayo-  meh
5.  Looping Louie-  for the kid.  Looks fun
6.  Toc Toc woodman-  very fun
7.  Last Will-  looks interesting
8.  Rex-  I'm not sure about this one yet.  I liked the old theme better (Dune)
9.  Jaipur-  some 2 player fun that's pretty simple, ala Lost Cities

I suspect all of these will get a lot of play, other than Phantom League.  Space themes are a tough sell sometimes. 
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #467 on: March 09, 2012, 08:50:35 PM

Sorry if you already said before and I missed it, but Ghost, wtf do you do?  Are you a game store owner or something?  Google employee 8?  How can you have possibly played all the games you've mentioned so far in the thread then just threw the cash down to buy 9 more.   ACK!

(not that that's a bad thing, I'm just in awe)

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #468 on: March 10, 2012, 04:24:44 AM

Sorry.  I have a bit of a problem with buying things.   ACK!

Thank goodness my wife likes me. 
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: March 10, 2012, 10:08:20 AM

If you don't know what ghost does for a living, you must not read f13 very much. why so serious?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #470 on: March 13, 2012, 12:54:55 PM

Spacehulk 3rd Edition looks oh so tempting.  It's a good thing I can always tell myself I'll have to paint the minis if I get it and avoid purchasing.   Ohhhhh, I see.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #471 on: March 16, 2012, 05:03:17 PM

Got my copy of Rex today, which is the re-theming of the classic Dune boardgame from the 1970s.  Has anyone here ever played the original?  Rex looks pretty badass, but then again I like the Twilight Imperium universe.  I like Dune, too, but apparently they couldn't get the Dune folks to agree to let them have the rights.
schild
Administrator

Reply #472 on: March 21, 2014, 01:00:23 PM

Played Cave Evil last night. What a superb game. Just fantastic. The whole game drips the theme from beginning to end and was just a general joy the whole time. I ended up getting lucky right at the end and winning despite having to give my opponent a larvampyr which kept me from rolling dice during combat.

Anyway, this will be the FIRST game I pimp out, ever. Maybe the last - because the quality of parts is pretty, pretty bad other than the cards themselves.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: March 27, 2012, 12:48:40 PM

Played Cave Evil last night. What a superb game. Just fantastic. The whole game drips the theme from beginning to end and was just a general joy the whole time. I ended up getting lucky right at the end and winning despite having to give my opponent a larvampyr which kept me from rolling dice during combat.

Anyway, this will be the FIRST game I pimp out, ever. Maybe the last - because the quality of parts is pretty, pretty bad other than the cards themselves.

Get them to do a Kickstarter for a higher quality well produced production run since everyone is so big on Kickstarter right now.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #474 on: March 27, 2012, 01:15:45 PM

Hm. I wonder. I've been in contact with them before. Let me poke them and see if that's possible.

Edit: Just Emailed them.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:18:35 PM by schild »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: March 27, 2012, 04:34:26 PM

So, just had my birthday this weekend, and my friends knowing that I love both Game of Thrones and board games, got me the Game of Thrones board game.  Looks delightfully complicated.  Anybody play this yet, or have any opinions?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #476 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45:46 PM

If it's the board game, no. If it's the card game, yes. It's kind of like Magic for idiots.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #477 on: March 27, 2012, 05:00:50 PM

I liked the board game quite a bit, but it's hard to say how much that has to do with me being a fan of the series.  I will say, however, that it really only shines with a bunch of people at the table.  And by that I mean the maximum amount.

The card game wasn't good, as schild pointed out, and I wasn't a fan of Battles of Westeros either, which is a much more traditional 2-player wargame.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: March 27, 2012, 05:47:51 PM

-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #479 on: March 27, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

I've played and liked it. It is kind of Diplomacy-ish, but with more random elements. As Ruvaldt says you really want a full table.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #480 on: March 28, 2012, 06:21:52 AM

I've played the first edition. I'm hoping they tweaked a few of the balance issues. The game was published with rules, that if you were playing five player, effectively let Greyjoy conquer the Lannisters on the first turn before than Lannisters got to move. Then they put an errata online that basically said - we f'd up, change the starting turn order for five player.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: March 28, 2012, 08:24:20 AM

Yeah, this is the second edition, and even says on the box they tweaked the game rules and added in extra stuff, so I'm sure that was probably included.

-Stephen Colbert
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: March 31, 2012, 04:33:45 AM

Got a chance to play Lords of Waterdeep yesterday, and was very pleasantly surprised by it.  Game play seems to move fairly briskly (except for the last 2 turns or so which become a bit of a slog as everyone suddenly goes into end game/kingmaker mode). 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: April 02, 2012, 05:51:38 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: April 02, 2012, 06:10:26 PM

swamp poop

That was incredibly fake, too long, and I forgot my third criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2osQtM11A&feature=g-user-u&context=G23b8275UCGXQYbcTJ33bxJQMONdEhHe3GuLFHUB0Blutn81QR8JU
Here you go. The Untitled Flash Based Review Thing. How to properly do a game video.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #485 on: April 02, 2012, 07:43:40 PM

Everything involving this sort of meta-nerd religion that revolves around Wil Wheaton, Joss Whedon, and that stupid horrible redhead could go down on a plane flight to PAX or something and I'd be ecstatic.

It's all unfunny, most of their opinions are bad (and somehow, wrong), and everything they do is the height poor delivery.

God, it's fucking awful.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: April 02, 2012, 07:44:28 PM

Reminds me of those late night poker things you'll see at like 3AM where it's a bunch of pro-poker players just sitting around playing.  Except somehow even less interesting....which is really sad considering how much I enjoy good board games.

Too long and too fake does sum it up nicely imo.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: April 02, 2012, 07:45:58 PM

Everything involving this sort of meta-nerd religion that revolves around Wil Wheaton, Joss Whedon, and that stupid horrible redhead could go down on a plane flight to PAX or something and I'd be ecstatic.

It's all unfunny, most of their opinions are bad (and somehow, wrong), and everything they do is the height poor delivery.

God, it's fucking awful.
Love Letters

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
schild
Administrator

Reply #488 on: April 02, 2012, 07:48:44 PM

No, I seriously can't even explain how much I fucking hate it.

It's like all of their fans are the same assholes who think new Dr. Who is brilliant and dumb motherfuckers who think Red Dwarf is the height of comedy.

Also, fat weaboo girls.

Fuck, I hate it.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:07 PM

My fav. thing was the table.  Pretty sure it was GeekChic and yah, damn you celebrity 'meta-nerds' for affording one. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: