Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585252 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: February 09, 2012, 03:09:40 AM

This is true.  It's a great game.

In other news, FF has delayed the shipment of the Star Wars LCG until the fourth quarter of 2012

FFG has announced that they are "going back to the drawing board" with Star Wars: The Card Game. The game was previewed at Gen Con 2011 and was expected to be released Q1 2012. Fantasy Flight Games, however, felt that it wasn't as engaging or as "ground breaking" as they wished, and have announced a new release date of "just before the 2012 holidays."

This is shocking.  I can't believe that, with all the LCGs they already have out and the scads of deck builders currently out, they are having difficulty coming up with some novel ideas for their card game.  This might be one of the first Star Wars things that I completely skip. 

I was waiting for this as well before I invested into the LotR LCG.  I kinda understand why they're doing it though; most of the people that attended the cons and demoed the game say that it basically LotR with a Star Wars skin.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #421 on: February 09, 2012, 06:12:28 AM

I feel like Fortress America is more important than some licensed crap.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #422 on: February 09, 2012, 06:32:05 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't advise buying the Star Wars LCG out of the gate.  I bet they'll fuck it up somehow.  FF is getting to the point that they're running out of any original ideas, hence the reprinting of all sorts of good games like Fortress America and Wiz Wars.  They also redid Nexus Ops.  They remained pretty faithful to the original, but the tiles look like fucking power point backgrounds.   Ohhhhh, I see.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:07 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't advise buying the Star Wars LCG out of the gate.  I bet they'll fuck it up somehow.  FF is getting to the point that they're running out of any original ideas, hence the reprinting of all sorts of good games like Fortress America and Wiz Wars.  They also redid Nexus Ops.  They remained pretty faithful to the original, but the tiles look like fucking power point backgrounds.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Ugh - glad I managed to snag a copy of the original Nexus Ops on the cheap then a few years ago.  

As for Fortress America, it looks ike it's going to be a reprint with little to no rules changes, which means that they didn't bother trying to fix any of the balance/design issues.  Bleh.  
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #424 on: February 09, 2012, 07:50:45 PM

Nexus Ops was kind of shitty anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #425 on: February 09, 2012, 08:54:51 PM

The plastic parts are spectacular, as you'd expect from a FF production.  It's also got a less campy feel to it.  I don't mind it, other than the tiles. 

I'm pretty excited to see what they do with Rex, the Dune re-theme.  I like the Twilight Imperium setting, so the re-theming shouldn't bother me too much.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #426 on: February 10, 2012, 06:19:10 AM

As for Fortress America, it looks ike it's going to be a reprint with little to no rules changes, which means that they didn't bother trying to fix any of the balance/design issues.  Bleh.  

I still have the original burried in my parents' basement. We played it maybe three times - could tell right off that it didn't have the well balanced play the original Axis & Allies did. Oh well.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:27 AM

I'm very interested in trying to put together a list of "kids" games that can also be considered enjoyable for adults.  A couple that I've gotten for the boy that I like include Hiss and Animal upon Animal:  Balancing Bridge.  Both of these can be highly enjoyable for me to play with the boy and he likes them as well.  I have the Kids of Carcasonne, which is okay (may improve as the boy gets older) and Go Away Monster, which is putrid.  Of these, I actually have played Animal upon Animal with the wife (bring on the jokes  why so serious?) and it is quite a good game.  Anyone else have any recommendations?

Blokus, Metro, Hive, Tsuro.

Blokus 2P is one of the purest of all joys.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #428 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:48 AM

I still have the original burried in my parents' basement. We played it maybe three times - could tell right off that it didn't have the well balanced play the original Axis & Allies did. Oh well.

You could probably sell that for a pretty penny, if it's in decent condition. 
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #429 on: February 10, 2012, 11:52:33 AM

A quick check says they go for $60 - $90. My buddy paid twice that for an original Talisman a few years back. Theres an unopened, shrinkwrapped FA on Ebay for $350 though.  swamp poop

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #430 on: February 10, 2012, 08:49:18 PM

Huh.  I figured you could get more for it than that.  Well, hang on to it then and see if people still want it if FF's version is shite.

I got through my second solo learning playthrough of Mage Knight this evening.  It's not really that complex, once you get down to it, and it looks as if it will be a lot of fun once I learn it enough to bring in more players.  I think the "deck building" portion of this is overblown though.  I haven't played the deckbuilding variant in the rules yet, but the deckbuilding portion of the game is fairly limited so far.  I definitely recommend getting a copy if you can track one down though.  Apparently it is also sold out at the publisher level. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #431 on: February 12, 2012, 08:01:08 PM

Could the Cave Evil folks ship a game any fucking slower? Yeesh.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #432 on: February 13, 2012, 06:01:34 AM

Send them an email and ask what's up.  I did and they gave me a good approximation of when I would get my game.

Edit:  Alternatively, since you're retired, I could take a day off and come up and you could help me test my copy out.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:22:54 PM by ghost »
schild
Administrator

Reply #433 on: February 14, 2012, 12:30:45 PM

Where are you located? I could come to you if it meant a $10 dental checkup. I have no insurance and my teeth are awful.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #434 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:45 AM

I'm just an orthodontist, so I don't really do those sorts of exams any more.  I don't have the radiology necessary to do a good exam for cavities.  I can do a screening xray for free for you though, if you think something is wrong.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #435 on: February 17, 2012, 06:40:17 AM

As an FYI for anyone that is considering it-  Mage Knight is awesome.  Once you get past the rules that is.  If you can get a copy, I recommend it.  Apparently it's already been picked up for another printing in March.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: February 22, 2012, 09:32:21 AM

We tried out Eclipse recently with three players. Setup and learning the basics took about an hour, the game itself about 4.5 hours, next time will probably go faster. First impressions were good. The game seemed more focused on economy than combat, but afterwards we noticed the victory point rewards from even unsuccessful combat have much more impact than we initially thought so next time we'll probably focus more on warfare.

Setting up the supply board with a crapload of markers was very annoying, so a decent storage system for the various bits and pieces is recommended. Also, accidentally moving the player boards and losing the marker positions can easily mess up the game.

The rulebook was good for the most part, but some things were left somewhat unclear. For example, during last turn I won the fight against the galactic center but ran out of influence markers on the player board. The rulebook didn't state if the marker (after successfully clearing out an area) has to come from the player board or if you can move one from another map tile.

Anyway, we'll definitely play this one again. I see it's gone up to rank 7 at Boardgamegeek, that seems a bit high though.

Here's a picture taken after scoring (the galactic map pieces have been spread out a bit during counting):

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:35:07 AM by jth »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #437 on: February 22, 2012, 09:36:34 AM

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:35 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:16 AM

Here's a proper review that sums it up pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muPjBNQO6XM
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #440 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:41 AM

Here's a whole list of the 5 second reviews.  It's worth watching them.  Some of them are pretty damned funny, Dominion in particular.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: February 23, 2012, 12:57:15 PM

Cosmic Encounter played at its most basic is within the kid-zone I'd say.   Alternate advanced rulestuff like the research cards should be omitted since they can make the rules fiddly in places, but aside from that it's all good.
schild
Administrator

Reply #442 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:39 PM

Picked up Cave Evil and got an advance copy of Lords of Waterdeep.

Which one do you all want to hear about more?

Also, picked up Wiz-War, Locke & Key, and 1960.

Those are options also.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: February 24, 2012, 10:20:20 PM

You ever need players feel free to hit me up schild.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #444 on: February 26, 2012, 03:36:29 PM

There's enough people here from Texas that we should do an F13 game night up in Austin. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #445 on: March 01, 2012, 05:00:17 PM

I bought a second copy of Earth Reborn today to have enough pieces to come up with some really cool custom scenarios.  I'm also planning on devising my own third faction and some new characters for the initial two factions.  If you haven't checked Earth Reborn out, it is really damned good. 

Other purchases:

1.  Gulo Gulo
2.  Hawaii
3.  Wiz War
4.  Pret a Porter (against my better judgment, dammit schild  Ohhhhh, I see.)
5.  Kingdoms
6.  Chaostle

The only one that I've gotten into at all yet is Chaostle, and that is just to look at it and try and figure out the rules.  It is a badass game.  It reminds me of something out of our youths, like Heroscape combined with crossbows and catapults or some such.  It's got really cool plastic castle pieces.  I can't wait to give it a real spin.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: March 02, 2012, 05:16:24 AM

Anyone tried this?  awesome, for real

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/the-campaign-for-north-africa

Playing time: 60000 minutes.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #447 on: March 02, 2012, 06:32:35 AM

It plays with 8-10 players over a course of 1200 hours.......

At three hours per night, every night, that would be 400 days.   awesome, for real
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: March 02, 2012, 06:45:38 AM

Anyone tried this?  awesome, for real

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/the-campaign-for-north-africa

Playing time: 60000 minutes.

I still have most of it somewhere in the attic.  I ran through some of the smaller scenarios solo to learn the basics but never had anyone else interested in learning.   So much paperwork was involved.  Purchased for $50 new around '81.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
schild
Administrator

Reply #449 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:04 AM

I don't play actual war games. I find them dull and the people involved with them worse than your average Warhammer nerd and way worse than your average RPG nerd.

A Few Acres of Snow and Twilight Struggle are not war games.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #450 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:25 PM

Apparently you could sell it for about $350 if you could find all the pieces. 

Wargames don't particularly interest me, either.  Memoir '44 or Commands and Colors is about as deep as I would like to delve into that realm.  GMT does a very good job with card driven games that are about war, but aren't really wargames per se.  Labyrinth is badass, as is Washington's War and Path's of Glory.  I don't think I'll ever be an Advanced Squad Leader person.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #451 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:12 AM

You get your copy yet?
schild
Administrator

Reply #452 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:57 AM

Yea, just haven't had a chance to fire it up. Going to Dallas for Magic tournaments Friday - Sunday of this week and practicing most of the week.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #453 on: March 05, 2012, 11:44:39 AM

Ah.  Good luck at the tournament!

Post your thoughts on Cave Evil when you do play.  With the new baby on the way it is highly unlikely that I'll get a chance to play mine for a while.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: March 05, 2012, 01:03:20 PM

Yea, just haven't had a chance to fire it up. Going to Dallas for Magic tournaments Friday - Sunday of this week and practicing most of the week.

Are they webcasting?  Magic tourneys are mildly entertaining TV when you can find em.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: