Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585520 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: December 12, 2011, 05:56:33 PM

Just depends on how much group AP you're willing to put up with.
Since I had to look it up (on BoardGameGeek), am I correct that "AP" means analysis paralysis?

That is correct.  I assumed people would infer it given the context of a timer.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #246 on: December 12, 2011, 06:31:19 PM

I wasn't familiar with the term, but now I have a two word phrase that perfectly defines my gaming style.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: December 12, 2011, 07:13:12 PM

Then, if you like your friends, never play Tikal.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #248 on: December 13, 2011, 08:48:31 AM

Picked up a mess of stuff for my studies. Instead of posting the new stuff. Here is a list of everything I've picked up. If you can think of anything to add to this for some mechanic or something I'm missing out on, let me know.

I think it's worth picking up Race for the Galaxy.  It's got a great mechanic that I believe is different than anything you have here and it's really well done all the way around.  We've been playing it a lot lately  and it's quite fun. 
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #249 on: December 13, 2011, 10:29:34 AM

We really enjoy Race for the Galaxy, but we have run in to issues since adding the expansion that include "prestige". We found that if you don't get lucky and start the game with an easy to get out prestige card, you end up falling way behind someone who does. The expansion also made the play deck so big, that its become far harder to actually intentionally look for a theme, and instead we've found you have to rely more on luck in getting crads that work together. So again, the guy who get's the good early draw usually wins.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #250 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:40 PM

We haven't made it into incorporating any expansions other than the first one yet.  I can see that being a problem, though. 
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: December 13, 2011, 03:24:40 PM

The first two expansions aren't a problem.  You can even include all the cards from them without using their optional rules without any real problems.  It's that third stupid expansion that causes all the issues because of the new mechanic.  I bought a long while back, and still haven't mixed it in with my regular deck since it makes teaching the game to new people significantly harder, and the way the cards are marked, it's a pain to find and remove them when I don't want them.  Outside that one expansion, I really like Race for the Galaxy though.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: December 13, 2011, 06:51:06 PM

So, I've been playing Ghost Stories on the iPad a bit. It's pretty fun!

I don't know how it would go in a group setting unless everyone are gamers, as it's not the most simple and it doesn't mind beating you if you stuff up, but it's pretty good. Seems to be harder the more players you add, though maybe that's just me being a bit slower in working out the best way to play with more numbers.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #253 on: December 14, 2011, 04:50:39 AM

Ghost Stories is excellent, but it's goddamned hard to beat.   swamp poop
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: December 14, 2011, 05:21:08 AM

Turn one: Draw a ghost, get a draw a ghost ghost, get another draw a ghost ghost, get another draw a ghost ghost, get a defense 4 curse ghost.

awesome, for real
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: December 14, 2011, 08:27:52 AM

Anyone have a copy of Antiquity lying around they'll never play again? Talk about a shot in the dark.

I do have a copy laying around that I don't play much, actually.  Splotter games are sort of my grail games though, so... hmm.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: December 14, 2011, 08:35:47 AM

Picked up a mess of stuff for my studies. Instead of posting the new stuff. Here is a list of everything I've picked up. If you can think of anything to add to this for some mechanic or something I'm missing out on, let me know.

One of: Chicago Express, Logistico, or Age of Steam (not Steam)
Modern Art for auction bits
Container or Power Grid (to bind them all) or...
If you can get your hands on it, Master of Economy is a fantastically unique beast that also jams together a bunch of bits.  Get a euro to help you out, and be ready to pay through the nose for shipping. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/75441/master-of-economy
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #257 on: December 14, 2011, 01:22:56 PM

My copy of War of the Ring is shipping today.   awesome, for real

Now I can just hope I can get hold of Eclipse.....
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:26 PM

Wait, the reprint's out finally?
schild
Administrator

Reply #259 on: December 14, 2011, 11:41:46 PM

Anyone have a copy of Antiquity lying around they'll never play again? Talk about a shot in the dark.

I do have a copy laying around that I don't play much, actually.  Splotter games are sort of my grail games though, so... hmm.
What edition is it, and what sort of price are you looking for.  Also, I sort of have some odds and ends video game rarities, so we may be able to work something out, shoot me a PM.

Saw it in stores a few days ago.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #260 on: December 15, 2011, 08:20:37 AM

My copy of War of the Ring is shipping today.   awesome, for real

Yep.  Order quick or you may not get one.  Same with Eclipse, if you're interested in that one.  Both have sold out at the publisher level already.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:33:18 AM by ghost »
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: December 15, 2011, 10:37:39 AM

Not a reprint.  New publisher/edition.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #262 on: December 15, 2011, 11:20:11 AM

Anything changing in the rules/map/etc?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #263 on: December 15, 2011, 11:20:38 AM

Not a reprint.  New publisher/edition.
That makes it a reprint...
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #264 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:26 AM

Anything changing in the rules/map/etc?

Yeah, they've made lots of improvements to the system.  You better get rid of that collectors edition fast, while it still has some value.  I'll take it off of your hands for $100.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #265 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:46 AM

Cold dead hands.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #266 on: December 16, 2011, 05:35:19 PM

So my copy got here and I opened it.  The components seem pretty awesome.  I'm definitely looking forward to looking over the rulebook.  I also picked up Mage Knight from the store today.  Holy shit the components on this one are spectacular. 

Speaking of that, how was the production on Super Dungeon Explore, schild?
schild
Administrator

Reply #267 on: December 16, 2011, 10:53:04 PM

Speaking of that, how was the production on Super Dungeon Explore, schild?

Superb, haven't even had a chance to put it together yet though.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #268 on: December 17, 2011, 07:42:29 PM

It really looks awesome.  You'll have to let me know how it plays when you get around to it.  I've bought too many games lately and one more means the wife will have my head on a stake.  So it better be a damned good game to lose my head.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #269 on: December 18, 2011, 12:36:59 AM

Not sure if I should spin this question off or not, but are there any decent TCGs for kids, specifically a pretty bright 6yr old?  I was wondering about Magic, but I think that's teen rated.  Any advice would be great. 
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #270 on: December 18, 2011, 12:58:44 AM

Pokemon?

It's deep for a six year-old, but less mature than Magic.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #271 on: December 18, 2011, 05:54:44 AM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #272 on: December 18, 2011, 08:31:50 AM

Any good suggestions for (board)games for folks...who should be smart enough to pick things up, but aren't gamers in the classic sense? The two I'm looking to get now (just because they're generally well liked by anyone) is Catan and Loaded Questions, but more game-y options would be nice too. Also, they need to be purchasable via Amazon, and cannot contain batteries (not likely to be an issue here, but just in case).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #273 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:00 PM

If they like fantasy themes then Talisman might be a decent choice.  Carcassonne: The City I have also had decent luck with.  Some other decent choices are Ticket to Ride, Castle Panic, Dice Town, King of Tokyo, the Hobbit, Lost Cities: the Boardgame, or Small World.  A couple of decent card based games are Incan Gold and Lost Cities
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: December 19, 2011, 12:14:36 AM

Got a copy of War of the Rings and getting Eclipse delivered later this week, so those are now covered. Everything's peachy except there's been a  sorting mishap on my WOTR figurines, I have one too few Nazguls and one too many Dwarf Leaders  ACK!. Mailed Ares, we'll see how this plays out.

There's also a series of designer notes going over the stuff they changed and changes they tested but decided to not do, at http://www.aresgames.eu/category/articles/designers-notes.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: December 20, 2011, 11:57:00 AM

Anyone have any experience with Dominant Species?
It looks like it ticks all the right boxes for us in terms of resource management, strategy, interaction etc, yet I have read that it can be a bit long.

any first hand input on this game would be appreciated.

Professional Forum Lurker.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #276 on: December 20, 2011, 12:07:28 PM

It's really damned cool.  I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for though.  It is long, but fun.  Kind of a Euro style game, but not really.  Lots of cool mechanisms are involved.  The board is neat.  I dig it.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: December 20, 2011, 12:32:08 PM

It looks like there is competition for space like Settlers, competition for actions like Puerto Rico and lots of interaction.
These all appeal to the group I play with.
What kind of time frame should I be expecting to play. I've heard up to 4 hours, but we are a fairly experienced group of gamers. Is a 2 hour game a reasonable expectation?

I am hoping the missus gets it for me for xmas, if not I may buy it myself.

Professional Forum Lurker.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #278 on: December 20, 2011, 01:47:17 PM

I think 3 hours may be a better expectation, but 4 or longer if you get any of AP people involved.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: December 21, 2011, 11:43:03 AM

Amazing what a copy of 7 Wonders will get you in trade.  I got tired of it pretty quick, so I traded for the OOP LOTR Trilogy Risk and the new LOTR coop LCG.  $80 in games for a $35 one.   Ohhhhh, I see.

It looks like there is competition for space like Settlers, competition for actions like Puerto Rico and lots of interaction.
These all appeal to the group I play with.
What kind of time frame should I be expecting to play. I've heard up to 4 hours, but we are a fairly experienced group of gamers. Is a 2 hour game a reasonable expectation?

I am hoping the missus gets it for me for xmas, if not I may buy it myself.

AP is a problem in the planning phase, but if everyone agrees to kinda live with it, maybe munch on some chips/drink and talk shit, it's okay.  I wouldnt rush the turn or else the gameplay suffers, since the game is based heavily on ruthless interaction.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: