Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585265 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #210 on: November 03, 2011, 07:01:23 PM

I'm teaching the wife to play Agricola tonight.  It's lots of fun and hard as shit. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #211 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:28 PM

Twilight Struggle is great. Too bad there's no 3 player actually, you're conveniently located for us.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #212 on: November 03, 2011, 08:30:24 PM

Yeah, there's a reason Twilight Struggle is rated the best game on Boardgamegeek.  It's pretty stellar. 
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #213 on: November 03, 2011, 09:55:23 PM

Twilight Struggle is great. Too bad there's no 3 player actually, you're conveniently located for us.
I'm sure somebody out there has made some crazy rule conversion to add in the Non-Aligned Movement faction for 3 player games.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #214 on: November 04, 2011, 05:52:53 AM

There's no mention of a 3 person variant on boargamegeek.  There's enough crazy people on there that if something like that exists I think it would be up. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #215 on: November 04, 2011, 06:17:46 AM

Just going to throw this out there, Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil is the best of the deckbuilding games I've played. It's incredibly streamlined and can be played pretty quickly. Granted, the only deckbuilding games I've played are Ascension, Nightfall, and Game of Thrones (which isn't really deck building, but just Magic with an extra chromosome).
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: November 05, 2011, 02:30:35 PM

Yeah, there's a reason Twilight Struggle is rated the best game on Boardgamegeek.  It's pretty stellar. 

This is true, but you'd best be prepared for a 3+ hour slog if the USSR doesn't stomp on the US with its jackboots fairly early.  3 hours of brainburning, it can be exhausting.

Why don't you try our other games?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #217 on: November 05, 2011, 02:55:55 PM

Just going to throw this out there, Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil is the best of the deckbuilding games I've played. It's incredibly streamlined and can be played pretty quickly. Granted, the only deckbuilding games I've played are Ascension, Nightfall, and Game of Thrones (which isn't really deck building, but just Magic with an extra chromosome).

Thanks for the opinion.  I've been thinking about picking it up.  That pretty much settles it.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #218 on: November 16, 2011, 10:44:48 AM

So I'm currently buying up as much Heroscape stuff as I can since WotC has decided to shitcan it.  Some of the sets are getting pretty expensive, but it's a kick ass game. 

Also finally got my Commands and Colors Ancients and Napoleonics sorted and stickered.  That was a bitch.  GMT makes some nice games though. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #219 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:21 PM

Just ordered the following for research on my own game:
Twilight Struggle
Grimoire
Arcana
Super Dungeon Explore

I really need to start a boardgames/card game blog thing of some sort. Or open a board game sub-forum. With the lack of magic players here though, it may need to be a totally separate new thing.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #220 on: November 29, 2011, 06:13:34 AM

Twilight Struggle seems like an odd bird when paired with the other three.  It is pretty awesome though, and a great game to emulate. 
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #221 on: November 29, 2011, 07:06:48 AM

Some of us do play Magic - just not "competetively". My entire coffee table has been taken up by half built decks for about a month now.

Don't really talk about it here because the only place I've seen it mentioned is buried in a sub/sub forum thats supposedly about the online version (which I don't play).

Been playing regularly again since about the Alara block. Biggest difference I've found compared to when I first played, is that now I play almost exlusively two headed or gathering formats, because there's usually four or five of us around on Friday nights when we play. Trying to play a deck built for five player as a one on one deck usually ends in disaster.

I did build a one on one deck last weekend to try against Stewie (he's the one member of our group with strong one on one decks), see if I could beat him with an out of the ordinary tactic. Deck was 19 islands, 2 Black Vices, 2 artifact retrieval cards, 6 Scry/draw cards, 23 unsummon/boomerang cards, and 8 unsummon creatures.

Killed his zombie deck 20 - 0 without getting a Vice out.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 29, 2011, 03:59:30 PM

Twilight Struggle seems like an odd bird when paired with the other three.  It is pretty awesome though, and a great game to emulate. 

It's a nice example of a card-driven boardgame, though.  Or maybe Schild's game is about how the Arcane Grimoire Wizards of the Great Communist Regime have to Explore Dungeons to find the Mighty Relic of Lenin, and the CIA is always getting in the way, causing pesky coups with Death Squads in Bolivia.
schild
Administrator

Reply #223 on: November 29, 2011, 11:17:19 PM

Anyone have a copy of Antiquity lying around they'll never play again? Talk about a shot in the dark.

Twilight Struggle seems like an odd bird when paired with the other three.  It is pretty awesome though, and a great game to emulate.  
It's a nice example of a card-driven boardgame, though.  Or maybe Schild's game is about how the Arcane Grimoire Wizards of the Great Communist Regime have to Explore Dungeons to find the Mighty Relic of Lenin, and the CIA is always getting in the way, causing pesky coups with Death Squads in Bolivia.

Nailed it. I am making a game only Lum would play. And neckbeard number 7,132 at BGG.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #224 on: November 30, 2011, 11:50:52 AM

Super Dungeon Explore looks pretty awesome, so if you combine that with Twilight Struggle I think you'll have a winner.  I'm pretty sure I would like whatever you end up with.  

Edit:  Oh, and mustaches are the new neckbeards.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: December 10, 2011, 01:44:26 PM

Picked up Pandemic for $20 on some Amazon sale.  Great game, works good 2-4 people, games run pretty fast but can get very tense.  Possibly my favorite boardgame I own at the moment.  Only complaint really would be that sometimes games feel a little dependent on which roles you get.  (No dispatcher in a 4 player game?  You're probably done already.)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #226 on: December 10, 2011, 10:03:10 PM

Picked up a mess of stuff for my studies. Instead of posting the new stuff. Here is a list of everything I've picked up. If you can think of anything to add to this for some mechanic or something I'm missing out on, let me know.

Ascension + Expansion
Escape from the Aliens from Outer Space (LE + Regular)
Twilight Struggle
Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil
Munchkin Cthulhu (1-4, Munchkinomicon, Munchkin Fairy Dust)
Tanto Coure
Eaten by Zombies
Resident Evil DBG
Cadwallon, City of Thieves
Quarriors + Expansion
Chronicle
Elder Sign
Get Bit!
Cards Against Humanity
Super Dungeon Explore
Arcana
Ticket to Ride //Nordic Countries
A Few Acres of SNow
Food Fight
Grimoire

I think that's everything.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #227 on: December 11, 2011, 04:24:23 AM

Unrelated to anything, I'm trying to remember the name of that game with the hexagon board where you traded resources.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: December 11, 2011, 05:39:12 AM

Unrelated to anything, I'm trying to remember the name of that game with the hexagon board where you traded resources.

Catan?

Picked up a mess of stuff for my studies. Instead of posting the new stuff. Here is a list of everything I've picked up. If you can think of anything to add to this for some mechanic or something I'm missing out on, let me know.

7 Wonders

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #229 on: December 11, 2011, 09:19:14 AM

7 Wonders
We're halfway there. Why?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: December 11, 2011, 10:51:42 AM

7 Wonders
We're halfway there. Why?

Well, it's won a couple awards...

Besides all that, it's a card drafting/civ building game that can be played out in less than 45 minutes.  With the various ways to achieve points, no two games ever play the same.  Scales extremely well from 3 to 7 players, and also has an official two-player variant.  I love it a lot, and the family approves.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: December 11, 2011, 11:08:04 AM

I will admit that while 7 wonders might not be the deepest game strategy-wise, the smoothness of it's play is something that all games get held to for our gaming group these days.  Waiting for people to take turns after playing the fast and engaging simultaneous-turned 7 wonders becomes almost unacceptable.  Almost.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:15:56 PM by trias_e »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:29 AM

I'm gonna suggest a non-boardgame here:
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd ed.  

I dropped over $150 buying shit for that game and I had no intention of really even playing it as I despise the Warhammer 'verse.  I bought it because mechanically imo it's the best dicepool RPG out there.  You COULD take its dicepool system, abstract ranging,  and party mechanics and apply them to a boardgame.    Other than that, the gritty career paths are the best parts of WH and the meta the game uses for that is very well done also.

Other games?  Hmmm.
-"Dungeon of D"  (great solitaire game)  You'll learn some great resource management stuff and game engine mechanics with this one.  And it's free.
-"Ghost Stories"  Better and deeper coop game than Pandemic imo.  Also doing very well with expansions.
-"Mystic Empyrean" rpg.  It's a kickstarter but the .pdf and basic mechanics should be available.  From this, you steal storytelling/world-building mechanics that are by and far way better than something like "Burning Wheel."
-"Summoner Wars" and "Imperial Crusade Armada"  These are examples of card-based wargames, Imp Crusade being a new one.  Summ. Wars I know you know of already, so I'm not gonna explain.
-Star Trek Fleet Captains.  Has a bit of everything but not hard to learn.  I'd prefer card-tracking rather than clix though; but it gives you that option.  Interesting mechanics?  The power adjustment system and how it relates to tests.  And how the cards you choose and deck you draft play into this.  It's a brilliant game.
-"Domiinant Species"  By far the best interactive PvP game of 2011. From this, aside from taking the geometric resource mgt./worker-placement, I take the common pool of cards that drastically alter the game.  Instead of hidden hands/decks like in Struggle or Labyrinth, you get a pool of faceup cards that everyone picks from.  This creates all kinds of tension and strat. to mitigate outcomes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:29:04 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: December 11, 2011, 12:33:55 PM

Anybody tried Risk Legacy? It's gotten some pretty good buzz at BGG and other reviews I've read.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: December 11, 2011, 04:18:09 PM

I want to buy a boardgame for my cousin for secret santa and would love some recommendations.

The main thing is that I guess it has to be playable by a family group that is not necessarily anywhere near as nerdy as I or my cousin (who plays Warhammer something & was state champ recently). I bought Diplomacy about 12 years ago, and while it was great fun for a day and we played a couple of games it has NEVER been played since, and I want to avoid that.

But I still want it to be a bit strategy, not just a social game.

7 Wonders sounds like the right style, do you think that would work? Any other recommendations?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:23:34 PM by lamaros »
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #235 on: December 11, 2011, 07:50:06 PM

Picked up Pandemic for $20 on some Amazon sale.  Great game, works good 2-4 people, games run pretty fast but can get very tense.  Possibly my favorite boardgame I own at the moment.  Only complaint really would be that sometimes games feel a little dependent on which roles you get.  (No dispatcher in a 4 player game?  You're probably done already.)
I really need to pick that up. We pretty much spin up game nights with a round of Forbidden Island, which I believe is the follow up from the dude that created Pandemic? It's such a quick, fun and accessible game, and everyone loves it. Great to play a co-op game before getting into something cutthroat. I've got a feeling we'll enjoy Pandemic even more.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:47 PM

I don't really care for Pandemic. There's just not really enough game there for me.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: December 11, 2011, 09:06:46 PM

The natural progression from Pandemic is Ghost Stories and then Defenders of the Realm.  Just depends on how much group AP you're willing to put up with.  Easily solved with a timer though, which is why I like "Space Alert."

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #238 on: December 12, 2011, 12:16:06 AM

Ascension + Expansion
Twilight Struggle
Tanto Coure
Eaten by Zombies
Resident Evil DBG
Quarriors + Expansion
Chronicle
Elder Sign
Get Bit!
Cards Against Humanity
Super Dungeon Explore
Arcana
A Few Acres of SNow
Food Fight
Grimoire

Forbidden Island (mentioned a few posts back) has a very enjoyable cooperative players-vs-the-RNG mechanic.

Alien Frontiers (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/48726/alien-frontiers) has a bunch of fascinating mechanics
- dice as tokens (representing ships)
- creation / destruction / recycling of various types of resource tokens
- using resource tokens to consume communal/contested resource "slots" until the next turn
- many different actions available on your turn, but actions you can take are limited by:
1. what resources you have accumulated
2. what numbers you have rolled, which determine where your ships "fit" (some resource areas need doubles, sequences, etc)
3. resource areas may be "occupied" by another player

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #239 on: December 12, 2011, 05:57:07 AM

I want to buy a boardgame for my cousin for secret santa and would love some recommendations.

The main thing is that I guess it has to be playable by a family group that is not necessarily anywhere near as nerdy as I or my cousin (who plays Warhammer something & was state champ recently). I bought Diplomacy about 12 years ago, and while it was great fun for a day and we played a couple of games it has NEVER been played since, and I want to avoid that.

But I still want it to be a bit strategy, not just a social game.

7 Wonders sounds like the right style, do you think that would work? Any other recommendations?

I'm a big 7 Wonders fan. Certainly has strategy elements - especially in paying attention to what the people to either side of you are doing. Nice replay value in that you start with random civilizations. Also liked the Leaders expansion for it, added a couple new elements and expanded the randomness and replayablity

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: December 12, 2011, 06:13:13 AM

Thanks for the info.

I want to get Ghost Stories, for me, but my initial search shows sold out or $70 Australian. Maybe I should demo it on the iPad version.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:18:07 AM by lamaros »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: December 12, 2011, 12:28:26 PM

I don't really care for Pandemic. There's just not really enough game there for me.

Get the "On The Brink" expansion.  Adds three new scenarios for more varied gameplay, along with 5 players support, and several new roles.  Also fixes the Engineer to be more helpful, and a 5th 'mutation' disease.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:32:29 PM by luckton »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:59 PM

Ascension + Expansion
Twilight Struggle
Tanto Coure
Eaten by Zombies
Resident Evil DBG
Quarriors + Expansion
Chronicle
Elder Sign
Get Bit!
Cards Against Humanity
Super Dungeon Explore
Arcana
A Few Acres of SNow
Food Fight
Grimoire

Panzer General might be worth taking a look at, combines deckbuilding with moving your dudes on a board, and the cards have a nice dual role thing going on where you can use them to modify rolls or for their regular printed effect. I've only played the Live version, not the actual physical game.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #243 on: December 12, 2011, 01:04:32 PM

Just depends on how much group AP you're willing to put up with.
Since I had to look it up (on BoardGameGeek), am I correct that "AP" means analysis paralysis?

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: December 12, 2011, 01:12:10 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: