Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:56:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Archon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Archon  (Read 3331 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: November 17, 2010, 12:10:53 PM

One of the best games ever gets revived, and it's kind of awesome. This coming from someone who played the original Archon on Commodore 64 on-stop for about 20 years (ok, not every day, you know).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65400/

Only problem, it's not the same without a joystick. So basically, unless you have one, you are gonna miss the fun.

If you feellike do some retro-reading, here's a nice old-fashioned article.

P.S: There is a demo on Steam. Try it

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:24:08 PM

I played the hell out of that game on C64. 

I saw it on Steam but couldn't pull the trigger.  I didn't want to spoil my memories.  Thanks for the article though.  That was fun to browse through.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:25:58 PM

Same here. Played a lot of it, on the apple-II I think?, but I'm quite happy to let it stay a fond memory.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:58 PM

This absolutely looks like the kind of thing I will eventually buy on Steam-special, spend 10 minutes on to check out, and then never actually get around to playing again.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:42:14 AM

Can you still cheese this new game with just the unicorn? DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:13:51 AM

Apparently so.
What hit me is how much attention and love they put into trying to recapture (although innovating) the sounds and the timing of... everything. Your mileage may vary, especially depending on what version were you used to, but I'd say that did a pretty good job. Hell, they even redid the original music without butchering it. Shivers!

Oh, and the Phoenix is now useful.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:08 AM

The Phoenix was always useful for taking out pawns.   awesome, for real

I bought and downloaded this, but haven't played yet.  Got a bluetooth dongle hooked up the other day to see if I can sync a PS3 controller, will give that a shot tonight.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 06:03:47 AM

I seriously considered this when I saw it, but it just wouldn't be the same without a Wico Command Control.  cry

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:37 AM

Got the PS3 controller working, and gave it a shot.

Pretty authentic to the original, but man have my reflexes deteriorated in the last 25 years.  swamp poop  Think I need to scale the difficulty back to "novice" from "skilled" next time.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 08:06:19 AM

The original I played was a stripped down Mac version, and I still played the shit out of it.  This is nothing but goodness and is improved in every way (at least compared to the one I originally played), while still maintaining the exact feel.  It seems that they made the overall army much more useful as well, because I like using everyone now, whereas before it was 'kill with the unicorn, everyone else is a meatshield.'

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Archon  
Jump to: