Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cowboys Vs Aliens 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cowboys Vs Aliens  (Read 20763 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 06:01:52 PM

So according to an intervew with Favreau I heard on NPR this is supposed to closely follow the old school western formula and just replace "Indians" with "Aliens" (get it. ha.)  How'd it do on that front?

I'm surprised it even tied Smurfs, since Smurfs is a Family movie and this just looked too out there for folks to glom on to.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 06:34:04 PM

Smurfs was some derpydoo shit starring a TV actor, C&A was a $160 million would-be blockbuster. This is not good news for them.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 07:39:17 PM

We had a rare weekend without the kid, so we went to the movies to see HP7-2, had to wait 90 minutes for the next one and just said 'fuck it'.  We rarely go to the movies anymore because of, well, the other people.  I just find movie going to be a challenging experience anymore.  Don't fuck with your phone, don't bring a 1yr old to an R rated flick and don't fucking talk during it.  I don't understand why that's so difficult.

Anyways, every single person coming in the theatre was going to see Smurfs, and my kid saw it with the grandparents, too.  I liked the look of C&A, but I'll have to catch it on Netflix in a year now.  Along with HP7.5 now. 
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 07:44:52 PM

I'm boggled it cost $160mil to make. There was some great CG in there but the set pieces were smaller and in less scale then say Deadwood, everything was framed close and not a huge amount of extra's.

Oh well, really enjoyed it. After 5mins of Skyline I wanted every character to die a horrible gruesome death, the characters in C&A actually had some thought behind them.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58:25 PM

The weirdest Cowboys & Aliens tie-in.

Freddie Wong is famous for his zero-budget special effects spectaculars. Functionally he (and the stuntmen involved) are advertising their own Hollywood businesses. Watch the making-of linked at the end of the clip for a clue on why it costs $160 million to make movies for a studio.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 08:59:45 PM

Saw it. Liked it a lot. Craig playing the taciturn badass is nothing new and he does it as well as he does anywhere else. Ford's character is much more nuanced than I thought he'd be and well... Olivia Wilde.

100%  agreed. Everything Sucker Punch was not, a really really good guys summer action blockbuster.
Indians, cowboys and fucking aliens!

Harrison Ford was awesome!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 01:28:20 PM

Isn't it funny how everytime I hear some variation of "Cowboys, ninjas, and zombies in the same movie? What more could you want?!" coming from some geek, the movie in question ends up being a giant fucking flop? It's almost like everyone isn't six years old.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 01:39:18 PM

Isn't it funny how everytime I hear some variation of "Cowboys, ninjas, and zombies in the same movie? What more could you want?!" coming from some geek, the movie in question ends up being a giant fucking flop? It's almost like everyone isn't six years old.

Because its only a good idea until you have to actually shell out cash to see it.  I'd totally see this movie for free.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 02:03:21 PM

Saw it this weekend.  The GF liked it, but I was pretty underwhelmed by it. 
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 02:11:21 PM

Because its only a good idea until you have to actually shell out cash to see it.  I'd totally see this movie for free.

Its worth the cash.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 06:07:59 PM

Because nerds get excited over the, "Wouldn't it be awesome if..." and are then dismayed when it isn't. We drown in our own in-jokes.

"Cowboys and Aliens" deserves to flop on the grounds it was the most cynically designed idea - it pretty much was written based on a fake movie poster and then the system gamed so that the IP owner got a pay day.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 08:53:35 PM

Says the guy that didn't see it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 04:41:12 AM

Says the guy that didn't see it.

Me seeing it or not (and it doesn't open in Australia until the 18th anyway) doesn't change the truth about what I said.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 04:43:17 AM

Doesn't change the truth, but it doesn't make you right either.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 05:55:37 AM

With a title like Cowboys and Aliens, one would not expect some serious attempt at being a western. That's why I did not find it very likeable. It was also a bad western, but they hit all the "must have scenes" even if it was completely retarded to do so ( looking at you, jump on space ship guy ).

As a western, it was one of the most cookie cutter westerns I have ever seen. As a sci-fi flick, its was just lacking.

Skyline WAS a better movie if you like Sci-Fi ( Even campy sci-fi ).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:12:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 06:22:00 AM

I love science fiction, Skyiine was lacking in so many ways in that category. It was an SFX movie with no soul.

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:27 AM

I didn't like Cowboys and Aliens, but to compare it to Skyline is a bit low.  Cowboys and Aliens was a bit dull and too by the numbers, but I didn't regret seeing it or anything.  I watched Skyline for free at a friend's house, and still managed to feel ripped off. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:34 AM

With a title like Cowboys and Aliens, one would not expect some serious attempt at being a western. That's why I did not find it very likeable. It was also a bad western, but they hit all the "must have scenes" even if it was completely retarded to do so ( looking at you, jump on space ship guy ).

From the Farverau interview, you can blame that particular flaw right on Stepen Spielberg's shoulders.  He had a meeting and lectured Farverau and the writers on all the necessary plot points, character arcs and inclusions in a western, and listed that one specifically.

Steve is apparently a REALLY BIG western fan.  Look at this as another piece of fan-fiction but with a really huge budget.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 09:50:44 AM

Because nerds get excited over the, "Wouldn't it be awesome if..." and are then dismayed when it isn't. We drown in our own in-jokes.

"Cowboys and Aliens" deserves to flop on the grounds it was the most cynically designed idea - it pretty much was written based on a fake movie poster and then the system gamed so that the IP owner got a pay day.
Err, isn't this a film adaptation of a comic book that came out several years back?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 09:52:27 AM

Err, isn't this a film adaptation of a comic book that came out several years back?

^ This. ^

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:43 AM

I love science fiction, Skyiine was lacking in so many ways in that category. It was an SFX movie with no soul.

Skyline was a fun romp with some great visuals and action, I also really liked the ending. Who said sci-fi needed a soul?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 01:55:37 PM

The movie has actually been in development since the late 90s.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 02:06:33 PM

Ah, interesting, just read the wiki.  So they came up with the idea of the graphic novel, then pitched it for a movie as well.  Both projects went forward, but the film got canned.  The comic came out in 2006, and then the rights to the movie where bought by another studio, who then adapted the comic into the film we have now.  Crazy.

Also, Robert Downey Jr. almost stared in it, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 03:01:20 PM

I think this is a key point: if you do a genre mash-up, you can't have the product be a lesser example of BOTH genres. It's got to be a beautiful hybrid in its own right, a weird thing. Firefly and Wild, Wild West (series, NOT movie) would be good examples of Western-SF mashups that were quirky enough in their own right to achieve escape velocity.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 04:31:33 PM

So when does Dinosaurs vs Ninjas come out?   why so serious?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 07:38:55 PM

^ This. ^

Kinda sorta. It was almost a pure pitch until the movie entered development hell, then the author gamed the system to get a 'best selling graphic novel' that in turn got the movie back on track.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:54 PM

I think this is a key point: if you do a genre mash-up, you can't have the product be a lesser example of BOTH genres. It's got to be a beautiful hybrid in its own right, a weird thing. Firefly and Wild, Wild West (series, NOT movie) would be good examples of Western-SF mashups that were quirky enough in their own right to achieve escape velocity.

Don't forget Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 05:38:26 AM

Don't forget Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.!

Oh hella yeah. There's a show that really deserved more seasons.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 08:46:34 PM

The guys who love that stuff are a relatively small part of the populace and also increasingly relatively picky. Sure, they forgive some things because they're sacred cows to them (transformers, star wars) but are quite picky about non-IP movies.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:40 AM

I enjoyed this movie on Saturday, but it had a few issues so I see why it didn't do better.  I got excited at first that Harrison Ford was going to be a nasty character, but then, of course, that couldn't happen...

I have never played WoW.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 05:27:34 PM

Woah. I never realized the Wild Wild West series was a mash-up. I guess I was too young to notice. Now after reading about it, I kinda wanna see it....

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 06:10:18 AM

Skyline WAS a better movie if you like Sci-Fi ( Even campy sci-fi ).

WAT

Skyline was a fun romp with some great visuals and action, I also really liked the ending. Who said sci-fi needed a soul?

WAT

Skyline was an inexcusable, wholly derivative and utterly umeritable anal leak of sci-fi. It wasn't even camp. It didn't have the wits to be camp. Calling it soulless would be entirely redundant; it was a quick flash cash-in by a couple of FX nerds with absolutely no fucking idea how to make a movie during production down-time on another shit-house sci-fi blockbuster (Battle: Los Angeles). Skyline currently ranks at #1 on my list of the 5 worst sci-fi/fantasy movies I've paid to see:

1: Skyline
2: Chronicles of Riddick
3: Aliens vs Predator
4: Dungeons & Dragons
5: Daybreakers

with a special mention for Mutant Chronicles, which while I actually marginally enjoyed, still made me want my money back.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 06:23:04 AM

Oh, and the post I actually meant to write before I had an opinion freakout;

Really rather liked Cowboys and Aliens. It was hokey, and it was ok with that, and went with it. It's very much a hybrid movie so expecting the best of both genres present was always going to lead to disappointment; that said I was cautious going in and felt that Favreau did a good job of easing me in with the nice, gritty intro scene and the classic western build-up.

Daniel Craig is really fucking intense throughout the whole film. If it was another actor I don't think I could have taken the character remotely seriously but Craig has such an assuredness about him that he lets the comedy of the situations roll around him without demeaning the character. It's pretty much as if every one of the townsfolk understand how crazy the situation is but flocks around the rock of Jake.

As others have said in this thread, I could have done without the jumping-on-the-alien-jet beat, but knowing it's a Speilberg-suggested trope I can let it slide a little.

Also, Clancy Brown. CLANCY BROWN. More films need Clancy Brown.

and more naked Olivia Wilde.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 19, 2011, 02:18:36 AM

Yes. Watch The Burrowers. It's a mediocre creature feature (and a western) but he's in it and raises overall quality of film.

Also, he should have been Judge Dredd (and I will continue to say that every time his name comes up in conversation.)

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 19, 2011, 09:40:47 AM

Oh, and the post I actually meant to write before I had an opinion freakout;

At last. The gathering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cowboys Vs Aliens  
Jump to: