Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:53:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cowboys Vs Aliens 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cowboys Vs Aliens  (Read 20762 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

on: November 17, 2010, 10:56:39 AM

Stephen Speilberg, Harrison Ford, and the guy from Bond (and not Indiana Jones).

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/cowboys-and-aliens.html
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:46 AM

Stephen Speilberg, Harrison Ford, and the guy from Bond (and not Indiana Jones).

Spielberg's only producing. Jon Favreau is at the helm.

/pedant

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:28:46 AM

I am all over this movie.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:58 AM

Looks like fun

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:20:19 PM

Looks awesome. 

I really appreciate movies that tell stories in different settings.  I recently watched Sean Connery's Outland on Netflix and had a strong appreciation for that movie too.  It's a simple detective story set in a scifi environment, which is why I like Blade Runner too.  Anyways, can't wait.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:46 PM

As long as they don't let Lucas within 15 miles of this...

Hic sunt dracones.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:03 PM

This looks awesome but they could have done the entire movie with cardboard box cutout sets and I'd still watch it just because it has Olivia Wilde in it and I'm weak.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:53:11 PM

My guess is that it was originally titled something else, but Harrison ford told them "Fuck you, my career still hasn't recovered from goddamn Indiana Jones and the alien invaders, if this movie is going to have aliens in it, they had better be in the fucking title instead of a horrible but unsurprising reveal in the middle of the movie"

Hence, Cowboys Vs. Aliens
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 11:56:48 PM

As long as they don't let Lucas within 15 miles of this...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 03:25:04 AM

Spielberg's only producing. Jon Favreau is at the helm.

/pedant
Spielberg isn't the Producer -- he's an Executive Producer. Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are the Producers.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 04:23:09 AM

Sweet.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:49 AM

Could be great. Could also be high-concept sounded-good-at-the-pitch-meeting poop.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 09:20:23 AM

The pitch meeting probably went

"Hey, there's this really good graphic novel called 'Cowboys vs Aliens' that came out a few years ago and we should totally make a movie out of it."

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:06 AM

Yes, because great high-concept graphic novels have a consistent record of turning into fantastic movies.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 09:24:13 AM

Yes, because great high-concept graphic novels have a consistent record of turning into fantastic movies.

That's the Spirit!

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 09:57:00 AM

My guess is that it was originally titled something else, but Harrison ford told them "Fuck you, my career still hasn't recovered from goddamn Indiana Jones and the alien invaders, if this movie is going to have aliens in it, they had better be in the fucking title instead of a horrible but unsurprising reveal in the middle of the movie"

It's based on a graphic novel that was called "Cowboys vs. Aliens." No Ford prima donna shit needed.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 10:06:32 AM

Looks awesome. 

I really appreciate movies that tell stories in different settings.  I recently watched Sean Connery's Outland on Netflix and had a strong appreciation for that movie too.  It's a simple detective story set in a scifi environment, which is why I like Blade Runner too.  Anyways, can't wait.

Outland is basically a space version of a Western called High Noon I believe. It's also a great Connery movie.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 11:34:58 AM

That's the Spirit!

Very good!  awesome, for real

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:07 AM

Daniel Craig  Heart.

Ford's one major line in there ("I want that man... and I want him now!") was a little  awesome, for real but all the top talent on this thing combined with a very popcorn movie concept means this is going to make assloads of money.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 01:22:00 PM

Looks awesome. 

Outland is basically a space version of a Western called High Noon I believe. It's also a great Connery movie.

Bastard.  As I scrolled down, I'd hoped I would be the smartarse.  Even though most on the board are aware, of course.

Heartbreak

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 04:40:56 PM

I like the title, very straight forward.  Like "Snakes On A Plane".

And Ford's career is spiraling down.  Only playing Han would help him now since they casually abused Indy.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 04:42:49 PM

Dude's made his money. Whatever motivation he has for playing movie roles is anyone's guess though. If he's still like he was in his Star Wars days, then he's picking them for his personal reasons and not for any other factor, but what those reasons are now is a bit more questionable than "I only do good, intelligent roles."

I'm going to enjoy him here because it'll be Harrison Ford and not Indiana Jones, Han Solo, Deckard, etc...

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:38 PM

I'd say the factors are Alimony's due and Calista needs more diuretics.  But I'm an asshole.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19:25 PM

Harrison Ford is a terrible actor. Olivia Wilde is a terrible actress. I like Daniel Craig, but most of that is because I think his bond is slightly better than Cean Connery's.

Sooooo... two terrible actors with the range of boat anchors and what looks like a stupid as shit plot. The one possible saving grace of the whole thing, the aliens, look like they'll be kept off camera for as much as possible. All that combined with the fact it looks like they're taking the shit plot seriously means this is going to be Skyline sort of bad. Seriously, this thing is a holodeck episode but with shittier actors.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 05:25:45 AM

Harrison Ford is a terrible actor. Olivia Wilde is a terrible actress. I like Daniel Craig, but most of that is because I think his bond is slightly better than Cean Connery's.

I don't tune into watching Olivia for the acting skills, but hey that's just me.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 08:09:06 AM

Damn Bob, are you off your meds again? It looks like a fun movie. I'm a fan of some Westerns (Generally anything with Clint Eastwood or the more modern take on Westerns) and SciFi so I look at this movie and see "fun". You apparently look at it and see shit.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 08:09:57 AM

Bob looks at the entire world and sees "shit" though.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 11:24:42 AM

I guess I'm the only one who sees the "angry" in his handle?  Ohhhhh, I see.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33:12 AM

Dunno I agree with bob.  I actually posted it because I thought it looked hilariously bad, skyline's trailers looked more interesting and thought out than this.  The acting alone in the trailer looked bad, and it looks like the transition from cowboy stuff and aliens is going to be heavily disjointed (at least it does in the trailer)

I don't really get how people can dismiss skyline and such (based only off the trailers), but see this as "This is going to be amazingly fun".
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 11:36:16 AM

I don't really get how people can dismiss skyline and such (based only off the trailers), but see this as "This is going to be amazingly fun".

Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, with Grazer and Speliberg behind the scenes, based on a story that was apparently a graphic novel, and isn't out to be taken seriously but out to entertain us with awesome.

Sorry I just need more Daniel Craig as badass in my life.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 11:55:43 AM

Skyline looked like a generic aliens attack movie, with no budget for CGI, from the trailer.  This looks like cowboys having shootouts with aliens.  Which looks like good pulpy fun.  I don't see how you can compare the two trailers at all.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:59 PM

Saw it. Liked it a lot. Craig playing the taciturn badass is nothing new and he does it as well as he does anywhere else. Ford's character is much more nuanced than I thought he'd be and well... Olivia Wilde.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 01:35:27 PM

Estimated $36.2 millon opening, tied with Smurfs until they finish counting every last dollar, on a $163 million budget. Ouch.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 01:38:30 PM

Was ok.

EDIT: Skyline was much cooler.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 02:08:49 PM

Was ok.

EDIT: Skyline was much cooler.

You be trippin'

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cowboys Vs Aliens  
Jump to: