Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 01:03:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 654741 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1120 on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:28 PM

I'll give it a try.  Usually nuances are lost in translation, but sometimes it's the opposite.  Big O is another example of that.

Same lead actor as Spike is the main dude from Big O. Also plays Mugen from Shamploo (which in turn is from the creator of Bebop). Played the best part of GitS too (Laughing Man). Anyhow, he always enhances English dubs. I believe he helps doctor the scripts on many shows he works on too and knows Japanese, so that might be part of it.

Is episode 5 the one where he almost gets killed in a church?

Yup
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:57:49 PM by stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1121 on: April 28, 2009, 02:01:31 PM

On a completely different note, people who make AMV's deserve a fist to the face. Can't even search for an anime clip without these fucktards clogging up Youtube.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: April 28, 2009, 04:52:16 PM

The only thing that's equal either way is Ed, I guess. Both actresses knock it out of the park there.

I thought the dub Ed was dramatically better than the original.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1123 on: April 28, 2009, 05:05:10 PM

I like both, but the dub actress is definitely fun. They got an actual kid (well teenager) for the J version. The english actress is an older (also pretty hot) chick. So she's probably more over the top, since adults depict kids differently... I guess?
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1124 on: April 29, 2009, 01:46:52 AM

This manga page blew me away.  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1125 on: April 29, 2009, 03:31:34 PM

Sometimes when I think I've been nearing bad levels of "otaku-ness", I'm reminded that I am not.

I have no clue what the above is.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1126 on: April 29, 2009, 03:45:11 PM

Sometimes when I think I've been nearing bad levels of "otaku-ness", I'm reminded that I am not.

just the usual pairing explanation u kept seeing all these in online discussions ala Character Pairing: ' I prefer Character A with Character B.'
to the regular guy, AxB = BxA, isn't it?

Apparently it isn't. In the case of same sex pairing it becomes into this:
The first one is the one who enters. And the second one is the one being entered.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1127 on: April 29, 2009, 07:53:53 PM

seme is passive, uke is active. It'd be like broughden and abragado.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: April 29, 2009, 08:52:13 PM

just the usual pairing explanation u kept seeing all these in online discussions ala Character Pairing: ' I prefer Character A with Character B.'
to the regular guy, AxB = BxA, isn't it?

Apparently it isn't. In the case of same sex pairing it becomes into this:
The first one is the one who enters. And the second one is the one being entered.

It's the equivalent of the American 'top' or 'bottom'.  The uke on top in a sexual situation.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #1129 on: April 30, 2009, 12:15:31 AM

You also have to read it right to left.  It's been translated, but not flipped. 

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: April 30, 2009, 12:46:56 AM

I'm now going to be thinking of this every time I do uke in my martial art.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:38 AM

You also have to read it right to left.  It's been translated, but not flipped. 

Ohhhhhhh, fuck, no wonder!

Seriously, that explains so much. Why didn't anyone tell me this before? ><

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1132 on: April 30, 2009, 10:03:34 AM

It's one of those things people who read manga take for granted.  Much like hail in Texas.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1133 on: April 30, 2009, 03:34:21 PM

Strazos, what's your beef with Paranoia Agent? It's got a pretty interesting theme, despite being about as mindfuck-y as FLCL. Did you like any of Satoshi Kon's other works? (Perfect Blue, Paprika, etc)

I've tried multiple times to watch PA on TV and...I just couldn't. It just came off as "retarded" to me, and I can watch some pretty crazy anime.

Never seen any of Satoshi's other works.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #1134 on: April 30, 2009, 05:02:00 PM

You should watch Paprika. Preferably on Blu-Ray. It's pretty amazing.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1135 on: April 30, 2009, 06:16:08 PM

Oh, thanks for reminding me of that.  I saw it being promo'ed/released while I was living in Japan, looked pretty damn cool (and insane).  Had forgotten about it though.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: April 30, 2009, 06:17:19 PM

Hell I watched it and I still can't answer that question.  Still a really cool anime.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: April 30, 2009, 09:06:33 PM

Fair enough. I liked PA but I liked Perfect Blue a LOT more; it was very much a mind fuck but you had to pay a lot of attention to catch all the little details. PB basically turned me into a Satoshi Kon fanboi.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: May 01, 2009, 03:13:08 AM

On this note, any other decent stuff that came out on Blu-Ray?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1139 on: May 01, 2009, 03:15:17 AM

On this note, any other decent stuff that came out on Blu-Ray?
Not really, no. I mean, a few things did, but nothing near as good as Paprika. No Miyazaki stuff yet, unfortunately. And I actually don't know if any anime series have come out yet in HD, but I'd always felt animation, if recolored, or at the very least, cleaned up would benefit the most from high-def.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: May 01, 2009, 03:19:22 AM

Yeah, I saw the Samurai 7 box set on Blu Ray and was tempted. At this point I might just say fuck it and wait for Otakon. I did look at Freedom disc 1 when they had it, what 2 years back? Never picked it up. Now it looks like they have a box set for it. Might be able to get it cheaper in the dealer's room.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1141 on: May 01, 2009, 03:29:44 AM

Yeah, I saw the Samurai 7 box set on Blu Ray and was tempted. At this point I might just say fuck it and wait for Otakon. I did look at Freedom disc 1 when they had it, what 2 years back? Never picked it up. Now it looks like they have a box set for it. Might be able to get it cheaper in the dealer's room.

Be careful at Otakon, lots of Japanese shit doesn't have english subs when it comes to anime. Also, a lot of the releases have been rush jobs. Paprika was a very, very pleasant surprise. It's pure quality, through and through. Honestly, It may have spoiled anime on blu-ray for me. Until something insane like Kenshin or Jungle Wa or Hunter X Hunter gets the blu-ray treatment. If they ever do.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: May 01, 2009, 03:31:08 AM

Yeah, been burned a couple times at Otakon... I'll keep an eye out though. I will definitely get Paprika though, thanks for the heads up.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1143 on: May 01, 2009, 03:40:28 AM

Yeah, been burned a couple times at Otakon... I'll keep an eye out though. I will definitely get Paprika though, thanks for the heads up.

However! On the Otakon note!

Tons and tons of Japanese movies (and even some TV Shows!!111!) are released on Blu-Ray with English subtitles. We're talking live action shit. So hit up the Poker Industry, Starland, etc booths and hook yourself up with that shit. Be careful though, the movies will be clearly labeled. TV shows not as much. Granted the list of good Japanese TV shows is short and I'm not sure which ones have Blu-Ray releases, but I'd stick to the goto shows, GTO, Gokusen, Engine, Good Luck!, Downtown, Densha Otoko, etc. Takuya Kimura's latest outing, Change, is pretty insane. It was obviously riding the Obama hype and he goes from School Teacher to Parliament member to Prime Minister in like 4 episodes and then weirdness ensues, one notable bit with a really strange American guy. Anyway! Yea! Japanese TV is weird. It seems like every modern show is crafted around the idea that normal people have insane jobs and Japan is every bit like anime portrays it.

When in reality most people are salary workers and drink a lot!

OK! Maybe not! But still, Japanese tv is strange!
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: May 01, 2009, 04:36:29 AM

Look for Vermillion Pleasure Nights.  Good stuff.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03:20 AM

Add in "and hate their life" and yes, thats pretty much Japan.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #1146 on: May 01, 2009, 08:48:31 AM

Thought that was implied, my bad.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: May 01, 2009, 08:49:55 AM

Thought that was implied, my bad.
Drinking a lot doesn't necessarily imply you hate your life.  why so serious?

-Stephen Colbert
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1148 on: May 01, 2009, 04:28:23 PM

I don't normally try to buy anime at Otakon; just SO MUCH stuff to sift through. I usually just stick with figures, where it's clear what you are getting.

With anime, I find you either pay the big bucks to buy from the Big booths (Bandai, etc) and know exactly what you are getting, or you can spend a Lot of time sifting through the indie booths and Maybe come up with something good.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1149 on: May 01, 2009, 10:50:55 PM

However! On the Otakon note!

Tons and tons of Japanese movies (and even some TV Shows!!111!) are released on Blu-Ray with English subtitles. We're talking live action shit. So hit up the Poker Industry, Starland, etc booths and hook yourself up with that shit. Be careful though, the movies will be clearly labeled. TV shows not as much. Granted the list of good Japanese TV shows is short and I'm not sure which ones have Blu-Ray releases, but I'd stick to the goto shows, GTO, Gokusen, Engine, Good Luck!, Downtown, Densha Otoko, etc. Takuya Kimura's latest outing, Change, is pretty insane. It was obviously riding the Obama hype and he goes from School Teacher to Parliament member to Prime Minister in like 4 episodes and then weirdness ensues, one notable bit with a really strange American guy. Anyway! Yea! Japanese TV is weird. It seems like every modern show is crafted around the idea that normal people have insane jobs and Japan is every bit like anime portrays it.

OK! Maybe not! But still, Japanese tv is strange!

And I have my new j-drama for the month.  Thank you.  I was wondering what to watch once I finished Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1150 on: May 01, 2009, 11:23:37 PM

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

Holy shit. I didn't think other people watched that crap.

Hiroshi Abe is pretty great.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: May 02, 2009, 08:26:57 PM

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

Holy shit. I didn't think other people watched that crap.

Hiroshi Abe is pretty great.

He is pretty damn awesome.

I enjoy the j-dramas because the Japanese are insane, and as such can make anything interesting.  Before Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, I watched 81-Diver (about shogi), which was crazy weird.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1152 on: May 02, 2009, 08:52:25 PM

81-Diver was far stranger than Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

It's fun watching Takuya Kimura's career though. He keeps playing bizarre roles. Always some insane job.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: May 02, 2009, 09:50:25 PM

81-Diver was far stranger than Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

It's fun watching Takuya Kimura's career though. He keeps playing bizarre roles. Always some insane job.

I've seen Hero, Long Vacation, Love Generation, Beautiful Life, Pride, and Good Luck.  I skipped Karei Naru Ichizoku because period dramas have never been my thing.  I plan to do Engine at some point, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

My other problem with period dramas is they suck up a large amount of decent actor for multiple seasons, like Tenchijin this year.  Tsumabuki Satoshi, who I've followed since Dekichatta Kekkon, is the main character so he's out of everything until 2010.

Other than that, I keep up with Hiro Mizushima as well.  The girlfriend is all about him since I showed her Kamen Rider Kabuto and Gokusen 2.

It's good I have j-dramas though, because this anime season is shit.  I'm vaguely watching Eden of the East and FMA, but that's pretty much all that's caught my interest.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1154 on: May 05, 2009, 06:31:03 AM

Well none of you have to watch this season, right? It can't be possible to have seen every good anime series in the past 10 years, is it? Or is it?! I think I've seen a fair deal, but I know I've barely skimmed the surface.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: