Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 03:58:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 657043 times)
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: June 04, 2008, 06:13:42 AM

Karau
I assume you mean Karasu, since AniDB doesn't show anything named Karau. I'm pretty much a fan of Bones' work too, though. Good writers and good artists, and a healthy dose of Yoko Kanno collaboration.

I think he's referring to Kurau Phantom Memory, which is really good stuff.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: June 08, 2008, 08:05:57 AM

Bones is so goddamn hit or miss for me.

Like most studios.
The Daughter of Twenty-Faces (aka Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief/Nijū Mensō no Musume) is pretty solid, seven episodes in.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #842 on: June 08, 2008, 08:21:21 AM

I'm disappointed that I cannot/do not find anything I really want to watch since...last spring/summer?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: June 09, 2008, 03:58:48 AM

I'm disappointed that I cannot/do not find anything I really want to watch since...last spring/summer?
The Daughter of Twenty-Faces.
Macross Frontier.
Soul Eater.

There you go.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #844 on: June 09, 2008, 09:19:27 AM

There hasn't been much, Baccano! is the best thing I've seen and it was only average-above average in alot of ways.  Fun show with a good cast, story was pretty dumb if you pay attention to it.  I do have 2 of the 3 things on Simond's list queue'd up once they are completed though.  Never heard of Daughter of 22 Faces...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #845 on: June 10, 2008, 11:44:49 AM

I finally started watching new anime again for the first time in a long while.

I'm following Hajime no Ippo, Welcome to the NHK, and Bartender. NHK I doubt I'll finish despite its opening theme sticking in my head. I'm looking at Monster right now, and it seems interesting. Second opinions?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: June 10, 2008, 01:04:42 PM

Macross Frontier.
There you go.

Macross Frontier is love.  Usually gorgeous as all get out, a cool cast of characters (a love triangle where I like everyone involved?  CAN'T BE!), and some amazing music.  The girl they have playing Ranka has an absolutely amazing voice.

Oh and for folks looking for stuff?  Right Stuf has a massive sale going on now, mostly of Geneon/Pioneer stuff.  Im getting all 8 volumes of Master Keaton at 5 bucks a pop.  Plenty of great stuff in the sale. 
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: June 10, 2008, 01:57:29 PM

Yeah, if you liked any of the Macross series (or even the first half of  swamp poop Robotech  swamp poop ), you really ought to be watching Macross Frontier.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: June 16, 2008, 11:21:19 AM

Hey, anybody want some more Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?
http://www.gurren-lagann-movie.net/gurrepala/interview/flash.html

First of eight OVA-slash-'official' AMVs.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: June 16, 2008, 12:58:44 PM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: June 16, 2008, 03:12:52 PM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #851 on: June 17, 2008, 06:38:57 AM

Hey, anybody want some more Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?
http://www.gurren-lagann-movie.net/gurrepala/interview/flash.html

First of eight OVA-slash-'official' AMVs.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Interesting, is there an english newspost on the subject?

I'm not allowed to watch this because its private or something??

I really  Heart'd that song by the end of Lucky Star, which I still can't believe I watched entirely considering how much I've hated almost every other "comedy" anime.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #852 on: June 17, 2008, 06:47:52 AM

Lucky star song and video is love.

Also, Jungle Wa Deluxe opening and ending was brilliant.

Opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukratLzF84E
Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAl-4eKuDk4&feature=related

Every episode here had a different fast part. And translated it was just bizarre. Though I imagine, given Jungle Wa, it was bizarre in Japanese also. Still one of my favorite series to date.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: June 17, 2008, 08:15:22 AM

Thanks for reminding me I need to pick up Deluxe.  I had forgotten they released it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: June 17, 2008, 01:14:40 PM

Interesting, is there an english newspost on the subject?

I'm not allowed to watch this because its private or something??

Dammit, they took it down.  Fuckers!
And the original less nice version too.
Luckily it has been saved on another site.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/230494.html

SUFFER.  LIKE G DID.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: June 26, 2008, 10:53:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67wHhRhJ8wc

Slayers Revolution trailer.  awesome, for real

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #856 on: June 26, 2008, 11:04:06 AM

Yet another OAV, or is this a full-length series? I loved Slayers back in the day. Another TV season with the original cast would be neat; it'd be cool to see what they can do to the spell animation with modern technology.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: June 26, 2008, 11:16:40 AM

It's a series, but I'm not sure if it's 13, 26, or what episodes long.
Original crew all back as well - seiyuu, directors, the works.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: June 26, 2008, 02:02:34 PM

It's the fourth season.

Yay for more Amelia.

Love Letters

Yoru

Reply #859 on: June 26, 2008, 03:55:47 PM

Well then. Finally, something to watch.

Isn't Haruhi Season 2 due out this fall, too?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: June 27, 2008, 05:08:50 AM

Theoretically yes. No real details on it at all yet, though.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: July 05, 2008, 03:36:20 AM

It's the fourth season.

Yay for more Amelia.

Love Letters
First ep of Slayers Revolution has aired and been subbed, & it's pretty much "More Slayers" - no attempts to reimagine or reinvent it.
Which is a Good Thing, of course.  awesome, for real

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: July 05, 2008, 11:49:22 AM

For those who don't follow the geek news, seems the deep pockets of Funimation have taken over the industry this summer. They've picked up some titles lost in Geneon's collapse, and also snatched a bunch that were left in a state of partial release from ADV.

Also, Bandai is bringing over Gundam 00, and it's going to be aired on Sci-Fi Channel

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: July 05, 2008, 12:59:52 PM

ADV is close to collapse, too, even if not official.  There was a big auction for most of their furniture a few weeks ago.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #864 on: July 05, 2008, 03:04:52 PM

Sigh....kind of a shame I just don't have the time for anime anymore it seems.

I come home, jump on here, check a FEW threads (don't even have time for a lot of the really active ones anymore; too much activity throughout the day), maybe check email, check Goal Line Blitz, and....whoops, it's really late, time for news maybe? Or usually sleep.

undecided

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: July 06, 2008, 10:41:40 AM

An old meme with a Slayers twist:

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yoru

Reply #866 on: July 06, 2008, 03:58:18 PM

It's the fourth season.

Yay for more Amelia.

Love Letters
First ep of Slayers Revolution has aired and been subbed, & it's pretty much "More Slayers" - no attempts to reimagine or reinvent it.
Which is a Good Thing, of course.  awesome, for real

Yup. I watched it last night while wicked drunk and it was pure awesome.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: July 13, 2008, 05:02:08 PM

My major beef with Macross Frontier, is with the romances. Most of them seem to be written for  this guy looks legit

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #868 on: July 13, 2008, 05:48:55 PM

uh huh. I don't really see why they need to 'pair' people up in a sci fi war setting. One or two is fine, but there seem to be an active effort to connect the dots together down to the supporting cast which distracts from the explosions and stuff.

on the other hand Strike Witches are...
For anyone watching the new anime season you might want to check out Strike Witches, it's about loli robot magical flying catgirl witches that never wear pants (who are also WW2 fighter planes).

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:03:51 PM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: July 21, 2008, 03:52:28 AM

I keep forgetting about these, but have TTGL Parallel Works no. 6:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fGBWdATgSWk

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: July 28, 2008, 10:11:02 AM

http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3

11:00 PM

GURREN LAGANN

BUST THROUGH THE HEAVENS WITH YOUR DRILL

11:30 PM

GURREN LAGANN

I SAID I'M GONNA PILOT THAT THING
Tonight.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: August 03, 2008, 08:24:42 AM

Three posts in a row. sad
But anyway, Macross Frontier ep. 17 is one long, glorious in-joke all the way along with added doses of  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: August 03, 2008, 04:20:06 PM

I'll help!

I missed like a 3rd of the dialogue from the last few episodes because of some VLC subtitle bug, but yea, the folks making this Macross series know who is buttering their bread and all that  smiley

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #873 on: August 05, 2008, 06:33:48 AM

mmmm I regret dropping Blassreiter at 10th ep. I recently gave it another look. Wow. So much awesome in Ep 12. Definitely worth a 'fastlook' if you just want to sample the series.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: August 06, 2008, 12:45:14 AM

I'll help!

I missed like a 3rd of the dialogue from the last few episodes because of some VLC subtitle bug, but yea, the folks making this Macross series know who is buttering their bread and all that  smiley

Don't use VLC for crying out loud.  GG's subs are awesome and full color and pretty and plenty visible with a good codec and player.  Me being a Mac user I like the Quicktime plug in Perian if I recall the name correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: