Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 09:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 657023 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #665 on: October 08, 2007, 08:11:45 AM

Finished TTGL, pretty in-your-face action show, fun and with enough time taken off from splodey things for the characters to matter to me.

Working on Lucky Star, first time I've ever been able to stand this style of show, having characters that actually make sense and amuse me is a plus.

My list of things to watch next looks like this: 
-Death Note
-Shounen Onmyouji
-Negima!?
-Romeo X Juliet
-Dennou Coil
-Gigantic Formula

Any thoughts on any of those here or via PM would be appreciated.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #666 on: October 08, 2007, 08:46:03 AM

At the very least, this one shouldn't end up with the director's wife's Gundam fanfiction being turned into scripts. (SEED/SEED Destiny, I'm looking at you here)

I can't find anything original about Double 0, if anything it's Wing all over again. =/
Night Wizards pretty generic modern day mixed with fantasy, the lone guy with the only sword with girls to back him up.
Shana season 2 starts, never really dig it much...

It's very hard to find fresh ideas nowadays.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: October 09, 2007, 02:49:28 AM

My interest in Gundam 00 entirely depends on whether that random_crazy_ADTRW_ poster's theory plays out or not: A Gundam series where the "Fighting for peace" faction either loses to the real military or turns out to be Evil Masterminds Out To Conquer The World (with the protagonists having to re-evaluate their own position) is interesting. A generic Wing retread...isn't.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: October 09, 2007, 03:07:58 AM

-Negima!?
Negima!? is, well, bizzare.  Especially if you have ever watched any of the regular Negima series (or read the manga).   The only way i can really describe it, is it is like someone looked at Negima, and said "What if we crossed this show and FLCL or Sosei no Aquarion".

It starts off much the same as regular Negima, but after about the 3rd or 4th episode, takes a right turn down bizzare street.  Still pretty entertaining, but it is a total departure from the normal Negima storyline.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #669 on: October 11, 2007, 11:53:32 PM

New recommendation, just because there hasn't been much worth mentioning recently.

Demon Prince Enma.

Give it a shot, it's only a 4 episode OVA (45min each) but stay away if you take your horror hella seriously.  This is for people who aren't art-fags about scary stuff.  Its a decent spooky thriller with a sort of fun cast but it drags a bit at times and sure the art isn't the most amazing in the world esp considering that its an OVA but I enjoyed it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #670 on: October 12, 2007, 12:25:44 AM

I'm watching Umisho now for the tit humor.

Dude...

It's Love Hina. In a swimming pool...

But I'm watching it too. Somebody needs to get off their ass and do Berserk all the way up to the current storyline. I'd like that.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: October 12, 2007, 12:47:26 AM

My interest in Gundam 00 entirely depends on whether that random_crazy_ADTRW_ poster's theory plays out or not: A Gundam series where the "Fighting for peace" faction either loses to the real military or turns out to be Evil Masterminds Out To Conquer The World (with the protagonists having to re-evaluate their own position) is interesting. A generic Wing retread...isn't.

I watched the first episode for the pretty animation in HD. I probably won't finish the series but if it ends that way it might be worth a shot. Also if it isn't 50 episodes long.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #672 on: October 12, 2007, 09:49:30 AM

@Umisho:
Is it Love Hina in a pool?  Or generic harem in a pool? I fucking can't stand that Love Hina is The harem show, fucking Girls Bravo was only slightly worse if I remember right.

-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #673 on: October 12, 2007, 11:47:03 AM

I liked Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi.

And no, not quite. Well maybe. But it's very modern. The boys are fucking perverts and creepy as hell. While there's every brand of new age moe for the girls.

It's total trash. But whatever. It's more than watchable and has a good number of LOL moments.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #674 on: October 12, 2007, 02:08:08 PM

Love Hina would have been better had I not disliked the main girl hella much also the drunk older one didn't get enough play.  The worst part was the lulz were too centered around whatshisface getting rocketed into the stratosphere twice per episode...

-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #675 on: October 12, 2007, 07:06:52 PM

Girls Bravo, lol

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: October 16, 2007, 06:52:23 AM

minami-ke's pretty plain nice. It's not laugh out loud funny but the eye candy is above average enough to keep my attention

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: October 20, 2007, 02:19:53 AM

Right now the only anime I want are the Patlabor movies.

Too bad the collector's editions are 70+ bucks MSRP.  I lucked out getting the third one for 9 bucks from an Amazon seller, but how many people do they think are gonna buy a movie with supplements for that price?

Then again, Patlabor is not only awesome but also totally creepy free, the way I remember it in the glory days of big stompy robots  and burning justice/vengeance.

I miss those days.   undecided
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 02:59:02 AM by Jain Zar »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: October 20, 2007, 04:54:17 AM

Bamboo Blade is fluff, but it's enjoyable fluff (...as long as it stays comedic slice of life and doesn't morph into a harem show): Broke teacher (voiced by TTGL Kamina's VA  In love) who runs the local school's kendo club makes a bet with his old schoolfriend/rival that his girls' kendo team can beat friend-rival's girls' kendo team. Terms of the bet are if broke Kamina-teacher's team wins, rival will give him free sushi for a year from his family restaurent.

Trouble is, Kamina-teacher's girls' team only has one(ish) member. Luckily, the newbie fresher boy who just joined the kendo club knows a newbie fresher girl from his middle school who's been learning kendo in her father's dojo since she could walk....

Like I said - fluff. But fun fluff.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: October 22, 2007, 11:40:40 PM

Moyashimon. (from SA) Moyashimon (Tales of Agriculture) is a somewhat-scientific, slice-of-life(?) comedy based on a guy who can see microbes unaided, except these microbes are super-deformed smiley things that talk. It's the most educational anime you'll watch this season and it will probably be the most biologically educational comedy series you'll ever watch.

Seriously watch it. It's hilarious and pleasantly offbeat, like Mushishi except less contemplative and more amusing.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: October 23, 2007, 05:06:12 AM

Tales of Agriculture? Anime titles make me laugh. I'm going to check it out just to see how they spice up the intro for that title.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: October 25, 2007, 03:45:45 PM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #682 on: October 27, 2007, 10:13:04 AM

Heh, that was great.  awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: October 27, 2007, 07:18:54 PM

might be offensive, i don't know i'm asian and i'm   Rofl Waffle: all over this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-19ioGniZ88

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #684 on: October 28, 2007, 08:45:11 PM

Death Note was picked up for Adult Swim and I've watched two episodes so far. I'm really, really liking it so far.

Q: Does it go from the cool mind-game interweb-detective shit into BS with other people having "pet" shinigami following them around and Death Note laser battles, or does it actually stay cool?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #685 on: October 28, 2007, 09:26:16 PM

First half of the show is awesome. Second half sucks.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: October 29, 2007, 06:46:39 AM

Just stop watching at episode...26? (I think) and pretend that was the end of the series.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #687 on: October 29, 2007, 01:09:17 PM

I felt like it pretty much sucked from the get-go.  Were you guys finding the stupid music showdown stuff funny or something?  The show really is too stupid for me to take seriously.  Perfect example would be the FBI guy's wife who goes from brilliant to retarded in like 10 minutes for no good reason.

Watching Towards the Terra, heard good things about it, so far not impressed enough to say anything about it or anything else I've seen lately in this thread.

-William Gibson
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #688 on: November 17, 2007, 10:59:07 PM

Okay, I spoiled myself and read some summaries for the rest of Death Note. I'm officially done with the series. Yargh, I hate it when I do this to myself. I was really interested but it just gets retarded even before the 25th episode or so. The ending is just...ugh. It's terrible.

Back to mindless action shows for me.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #689 on: November 18, 2007, 02:01:09 AM

You should've known that would happen the second Cartoon Network picked it up!
schild
Administrator

Reply #690 on: November 18, 2007, 02:05:42 AM

He should've known that would happen when I said to stop watching it halfway through. ;|
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: November 19, 2007, 06:15:18 AM

Hmm Macross F(rontier) coming soon...seems like more CG dogfights in store with some songs in the background. Can't complain, hehe.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: November 22, 2007, 03:51:57 AM

I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar again.

Yes, it starts (comparatively) slow, yes it's ten years old now, and yes the first story arc is pretty much Monster-of-the-Week/Hero (& team) pulls powerup out of nowhere to win but the payoff (the entire second half of the series, more or less) is well worth it.

And even in the MotW section it's nice to see even halfway intelligent enemy leaders:
"Hmm, that black robot just kicked our monster's arse. Let's send the next one into the suburbs and see if they're willing to accept the collateral damage"
"Hmm, they had a contingency for that. OK, let's use their contingency plan toy against them"
And so on...

Plus it's got TTGL-Viral's voice actor as the hero, and TTGL-Kamina as a ninja-robot-transformer.  awesome, for real

As for this season: Bamboo Blade continues as light-but-entertaining fluff, and Gundam 00 is currently the best Gundam series for years. They've got a plot beyond "bishonen pilots saving the world", for a start. Of course, there's still ample time for it to go all Pete Tong but it's light-years ahead of Seed & Wing at the present.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:00:05 AM by Simond »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: November 22, 2007, 09:06:29 AM

I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar again.

We've started watching the next block of GGG DVDs we have (we're at around ep. 20). While largely played straight to the genre, they keep throwing interesting hooks in. The first time they combine to form their giant robot, they realize during disassembly that they didn't do it right, and have to make a lot of repairs. The lead character has had to stop using his signature finishing move -- because the strain on his cyborg body was killing him. And the aliens, noting that the good guys have a little alien kid that can cure the humans they infect, attacked his grade school to kill him.

My wife, a notorious giant robot hater (while I watched Mazenkaiser, she got bored, then drunk on champagne, then jumped me on the couch --- resulting in our three year old*) even thinks Volfogg, the police car robot, is cool.

Despite knowing about the plethora of rail lines in Japan, I still find train-based superweapons laughable. "We shall fight evil in this direction! Or in the opposite direction! Wait! Evil to the side! CURSE YOU!"

* I look forward to telling his high school girlfriend(s) this story.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #694 on: November 22, 2007, 09:36:15 AM

Gundam 00 is currently the best Gundam series for years. They've got a plot beyond "bishonen pilots saving the world", for a start. Of course, there's still ample time for it to go all Pete Tong but it's light-years ahead of Seed & Wing at the present.

You are fucking crazy. Gundam 00 is Gundam Wing Redux. Seriously, so far it's the same fucking series with a different animation style. A team of mysterious teenage male Gundum Meisters (fucking ugh. one of them I even thought was a chick till he talksed) working for and funded by a mysterious organization appears and fights to impose their organization's agenda on the earth using the organizations vastly superior custom made mobile suits. Unless it takes a 180 degree turn and became a different series and I missed it the shit sucks much worse than Seed and is only a little bit beter than Wing. But only a little. The shit was painful to watch, but I was at work so I choked it down.

I hate to sound like a snob, especially since I don't really have an axe to grind, but the non-UC series have been fucking wretched for the most part - and even some of the UC stuff was pretty iffy (F91). Sadly, the best series have been really short. War in Pocket, 8th MS Team, and especially Stardust Memory were all really great and I think mark the highpoint of what the franchise will achieve.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: November 22, 2007, 04:24:55 PM

My final opinion of Gundam 00 depends on whether its going in the direction it looks like (the Celestial Beings organization being at heart batshit loopy if not downright villainous, pending schism in the meister's ranks between the ones who genuinely think that they're making the world a better place and those who just want to wreck shit for revenge, the gundams run out of new tricks to win fights against the earth-based aces in their custom suits and start getting beaten) or if it just turns into a Wing retread.

00 has potential, but could quite easily slide into mediocrity (see: Seed after the first dozen or so episodes).

Stormwaltz: GGG starts seriously picking up in the next few episodes, then the second arc starts at 31. There's a episode count:awesomeness chart someone did for GGG - I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: That was easier than I thought. Sort of spoilery-ish (but not really as it won't make sense until you've actually seen the episodes) so thumbnailed for that reason + size:

As some context, episode 20 is just about at the base of that upward slope after 'Hammer Hell'  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:37:00 AM by Simond »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: November 22, 2007, 08:31:47 PM

There's a episode count:awesomeness chart someone did for GGG

The fact that I had no idea what the hell that was about only made it funnier. I had an vision of GGG punching through dinosaurs to defeat Jesus...

- Henry Cobb
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: November 27, 2007, 05:52:02 AM

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: November 27, 2007, 08:59:09 AM

As some context, episode 20 is just about at the base of that upward slope after 'Hammer Hell'  awesome, for real

Mic Sounders the 13th made me laugh so hard I cried. If I were 12, that would have been so cool.

- Henry Cobb
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: November 28, 2007, 04:18:47 AM

Didn't every boy at some stage of their youth want a cute robot with the personality of an overeager puppy that can transform into a giant rockstar robot that makes enemies explode by playing a giant guitar at them while standing on top of a flying saucer? Rock on! awesome, for real Hulk Rock

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: