Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:51:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 641248 times)
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1960 on: March 11, 2016, 06:44:53 PM

Netflix stuff?  Fate Zero/Fate Stay Night, Gurren Lagann, Samurai Champloo

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1961 on: March 12, 2016, 01:41:30 AM

I hear the Fate Unlimited Works is a better telling of the Fate stuff (like, re-done with a much higher budget to throw at it) but I havent had a chance to get around to watching it yet to compare.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1962 on: March 12, 2016, 06:36:18 AM

It's a retelling of Fate/Stay Night. Zero is a prequel series.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1963 on: March 12, 2016, 08:47:12 AM

Seven Deadly Sins is peak shounen; it's adaptation is alright. Also exclusively on netflix.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1964 on: March 12, 2016, 09:59:31 AM

If you are not limited to just Netflix then Crunchyroll has some decent anime to offer too like Gintama, Space Brothers and Log Horizon.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1965 on: March 15, 2016, 07:49:28 AM

we gotta watch more anime guys we gotta watch more

we just finished fullmetal alchemist brotherhood (approved) and knights of sidonia (approved but holy uncanny motion) and i also liked the attack on titan stuff so what else should we watch (assume i really have seen only like .002% of anime)

Going to stick with group setting male-approved stuff as I don't actually understand from your post who the audience is. Most of this won't be on Netflix, if that's a restriction say it is next time.

Black Lagoon. Psycho Pass. Macross Zero. Witch Craft Works. Yukikaze. Arakawa Under the Bridge. Kikoushi Enma. Baccano!

Those are all wonderful shows, with some stuff I don't think everyone will think to rec on there. Tried to keep away from longer stuff or anything that gets boring at times.

Let us know what else you watch/like.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:55:23 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1966 on: March 15, 2016, 03:46:10 PM

Some random suggestions that haven't been mentioned:

Steins;Gate
Neon Genesis Evangelion (you can start with the Rebuilds if you don't want old animation, aka Evangelion 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone)
Code Geass
Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the TV series and not Ninja Resurrection)
Durarara
Gundam 00

I have no idea if any of this is easily available to be streamed.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1967 on: March 15, 2016, 05:00:42 PM

I have no idea if any of this is easily available to be streamed.
A cheap sub to both Crunchyroll and Funimation should cover just about any anime that has ever been mentioned in this thread.

I used the link in the spoiler for years, not sure how legal, but they always had a huge library of anime.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1968 on: March 15, 2016, 08:33:18 PM

Think Witch Craft Works will ever get another season?  Probably would have happened already I'd guess.   Heartbreak

I haven't watched too much sports anime but Haikyu is really really good.  I don't know how they can make so many good characters in one anime.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1969 on: April 03, 2016, 02:17:23 PM

My Hero Academia's anime started today. It's a pretty fun series and it's gonna be a disappointingly short run (13 episodes).

Basically, it's "What if the X-gene expressed in 80% of the population instead of like 2%, the mutant registration act passed, and people weren't such assholes that the apocalypse happened? +6 generations."

It's pretty shounen so if that's not your bag you likely won't dig it- it plays some cliches straight, subverts others. Adapted by BONES, and a pretty good team at that. The original artist/author is a huge fanboy of Western comics and Star Wars (there's several background Star Wars references, and a character that won't be in this season is almost literally Yoda by the authors own admission) and so on. Lots of great character designs.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1970 on: April 05, 2016, 12:51:14 PM

As someone who hasn't played much Ace Attorney, the first episode of the anime was pretty terrible.  It kinda feels like watching cliff notes of the game.  I'll give it one more episode but it's not looking good.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1971 on: April 05, 2016, 01:27:59 PM

I guess it wasn't terribly well animated?

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1972 on: April 06, 2016, 07:59:01 AM

The 'Objection!' scene didn't really pop like it probably should have and there were parts that weren't real clean.  Overall I'd say it was just OK, it has that kind of kid friendly anime look.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1973 on: June 21, 2016, 06:40:18 AM

So I'm finally taking advantage of the Netflix sub to watch some shows.  Went through "The Seven Deadly Sins" pretty quickly and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Now I need to read the manga to continue the story, although I thought I heard talk of a second season somewhere.

Currently watching "Magi: The Magic of Labyrinth" and love it.  Not just because of Sinbad's VA either (Matt Mercer  Heart).  Second season is there, too, so looking forward to watching that next.

Can't decide what I want to watch after that though.  I'm holding off on watching Hunter x Hunter on Netflix and instead want to watch it off Toonami, although the lack of commercials appeals to me.  Part of me wants to do it this way though because dammit, we wont' get more anime on TV if we don't watch it there.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1974 on: June 21, 2016, 01:30:54 PM

HxH is pretty solid.  I liked the first few arcs quite a bit more than the later ones though.  One of the later arcs in particular is a little too similar to DBZ.  Looks like I'm like 20 episodes or so behind again though so maybe it's picked up again.  I'll use Nexflix/Crunchyroll though I'm not doing commercials  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I tried out My Hero Academia and it was ok.  If they pick up the pace a bit I may keep watching.

Standout show for me this season is Re: Zero.  I was a little skeptical at first because I thought it was going to be a 'trapped in the game' kinda thing, which is kind of is but it doesn't lean on that too hard and pokes fun at it a bit.  I'm really interested to see where they take the story in this one.  Same studio that did Steins;Gate and Jormungand.

Second season of shokugeki no soma starts  soon, I know I mentioned it before but after the first few episodes they tone down the clothes exploding gag and it ends up being an interesting cooking battle anime with some decent characters.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1975 on: September 08, 2017, 06:11:10 PM

It's not my bag but part of me likes how Made in Abyss is totally owning the people who thought it was going to a semi-lighthearted exploration/action anime because of the cutesy character designs and gorgeous art.

For the record I'm spoiling that right here: Made in Abyss gets really, really, really fucked up. Like depending on the kind of visceral body horror and terrible things happening to children that effect you this is stuff that will legit make you uncomfortable and physically ill at the worst. And the anime won't even get to the worst stuff.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1976 on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:51 PM

I'm still sticking mostly to what I can get on Toonami. Been catching up on Tokyo Ghoul on the DVR and am really liking it a lot, although I think I'll have to jump to the manga to get the rest of the story. Which is fine with me since I'm not sure if the other fours have been dubbed.

Still trying to finish the second season of Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. I like the animation style a lot but I know it's not for most people. Doesn't help that the main TV randomly decides to stop seeing the WiFi so we have to reset it so Netflix works again.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1977 on: September 08, 2017, 08:21:16 PM

I couldn't get into Made in Abyss. Art style bothered me for some reason. I'll probably give it another shot later.

Biggest surprise for me this year was Quanzhi Gaoshou (The King's Avatar), a Chinese anime based on a MMO and professional e-sport players. Some of the animation (real-life scene background characters mainly) was janky as fuck, but the rest was really good. The language difference also threw me for a bit, but overall I was impressed.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1978 on: September 08, 2017, 09:22:52 PM

Yeah, King's avatar is actually pretty fun.  Got into the Manwah way before I found out that it had an animated adaption.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1979 on: September 09, 2017, 01:20:39 PM

Dunno if anyone cares, but all three Berserk movies are on Netflix.  Shit is dark/graphic, but I don't hate the time I spent watching them

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1980 on: September 09, 2017, 03:45:19 PM

Super dark. I liked it too, but you have to be in the mood for sure.

- Viin
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1981 on: September 09, 2017, 07:07:08 PM

Dunno if anyone cares, but all three Berserk movies are on Netflix.  Shit is dark/graphic, but I don't hate the time I spent watching them

That's awesome, for the longest time they only had one of them so I had missed out on some of the backstory in the series.  I ended reading a synopsis of some of it.  The animation on the last 2 seasons takes a little getting used to, but I ended up liking them.  The second season in particular was good.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1982 on: September 11, 2017, 07:24:04 AM

Do they cover the same ground as the old anime?

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1983 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:01 PM

The new 2016/17 anime is a continuation of the 97 anime.  The movies cover the same story as the 97 anime I believe.  At least that's my understanding having only watched one movie and the new anime.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1984 on: February 23, 2018, 10:43:25 PM

My kid wants to have access to Crunchyroll.  I'm not into anime so have no freaking clue what is on there so asking here. 

Is there stuff that a 13 year old should not have access to?  Anime violence doesn't bother me too much unless it is some fucked-up Kill Bill Vol. 1 type stuff.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1985 on: February 24, 2018, 12:35:27 AM

Crunchyroll is my go to place to stream anime shows.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1986 on: February 24, 2018, 01:11:32 AM

I believe they try to not carry any of the Hentai/sex stuff.  Or at least the stuff that is outright.  It has a ton of stuff with violence, and plenty of scantly clad girls and I’m sure nudity (though nothing in anything I’ve actually watched, so can’t say for sure).  I mean, its anime.

But if he’s 13 and has access to the internet, he’s probably already memorized every scene brazzers has put out in the last year.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1987 on: February 24, 2018, 01:36:43 AM

I may be naive but I don't think so with my boy. He wants to get it so he can watch Yuri On Ice because he is into ice skating.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1988 on: February 24, 2018, 11:06:38 AM

I believe they try to not carry any of the Hentai/sex stuff.  Or at least the stuff that is outright.  It has a ton of stuff with violence, and plenty of scantly clad girls and I’m sure nudity (though nothing in anything I’ve actually watched, so can’t say for sure).  I mean, its anime.

This is correct, they do carry some 'ecchi' (softer sexual stuff) but most of it is censored.  There are a few uncensored shows on there and almost all of it is just barbie doll like nudity.  There's a full history, so you can see everything being watched.

There's also a ton of good, and appropriate, shows on there including a bunch of sports anime.  I let my kids use it,  I let them know my expectations and I can always check up on what they are watching.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1989 on: February 24, 2018, 12:22:31 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info.

-H.L. Mencken
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1990 on: February 25, 2018, 04:52:13 PM

I may be naive but I don't think so with my boy. He wants to get it so he can watch Yuri On Ice because he is into ice skating.

Just a "warning" of sorts about YoI - there's nothing explicit and it's an awesome show, but the two main characters do end up a couple in the end.  If you don't think your son would be cool with that, might want to think about it.  Crunchyroll has very few dubs though, it's almost totally subs, too.  But that really shouldn't matter.  It's a good site, IMO.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1991 on: June 27, 2018, 07:42:07 PM

Has anyone else been watching the new season of FLCL? I just binged the first 4 episodes, and I'm wondering what other people think of it so far.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1992 on: June 28, 2018, 05:59:38 AM

I forgot to set my DVR to record them so I haven't been.  I wouldn't mind watching, except it's been so long since I've seen the original FLCL that I'd be lost.  Read your non-spoilery reviews on FB though and they made me interested though, so now I guess I try to figure out where to watch the dub at if possible.  I suppose I could do the sub on CR but don't feel like it.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1993 on: June 28, 2018, 08:05:49 AM

Adult swim's streaming site has the dub, but I believe it requires a cable subscription. You won't be lost without seeing season 1 recently, as long as you remember the broad strokes: Haruko is looking for Atomsk. Aside from Haruko still being Haruko, there isn't much story-wise that references the original. There are a lot of similar looking scenes and stylistic copies, but it seems to be an original story so far.

Edit: I don't actually think the subbed version is out over here legally (which CR is these days right?) yet until November.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1994 on: June 28, 2018, 09:49:22 AM

I haven't watched it, but I'll have to check it out if I can find it somewhere.  It's not on Crunchyroll for sure.

How about Steins;Gate 0?  I thought it's had a couple really interesting episodes so far and a few I really didn't like.  It's hard not to compare it to how great the first one is though.  I am interested to see if they can finish strong and make it all come together.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: