Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 644559 times)
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1890 on: June 26, 2015, 10:09:58 AM

I am not really into slice of life anime, but I gave "Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso" (Your lie in April) a shot. God damn, an anime shouldn't be able to fuck with my emotions like that. That last episode got me in the feels.

I'm not touching another dramatic slice of life show ever again.

About 3/4's through this, pretty good so far.  Not my favorite characters but the music parts are great.  I love how in music anime it doesn't matter how everything else is drawn, the instruments all have an insane level of detail.

Golden Time was the show that really got me right in the feels, still one of my favorites.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1891 on: June 26, 2015, 10:39:40 AM

Your Lie in April is great, but damn if it isn't a tear-jerker all the way through.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1892 on: July 24, 2015, 08:03:49 PM

You know, I try to give GATE a chance every time they do a new version of it since every iteration they edit more and more of the creepy, stupid, and boringly jingoistic stuff out but the fun concept of GATE is still ruined by the fact it was a spankfic written by an ultra-nationalist JSDF member which is probably the most embarrassing form of ultra-nationalist.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1893 on: July 25, 2015, 08:52:32 PM

Durarara continues its excellence.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1894 on: July 27, 2015, 07:02:18 AM

I don't really know anything about GATE other than watching the first 3 episodes but it seems really mediocre so far.   I really like the premise but so far it's not really grabbing me.  I'll probably keep up with though.  Seems like most of the season has been that way actually, I've started quite a few new series and most of them are kinda interesting but nothing really stand out.

I did finish the first season of Working!! which I thought was great.  I'll definitely keep going on that series.

So between seasons I started some older stuff that I hadn't seen and I slogged though ~34 episodes of Death Note.  I have less than 10 episodes left and I'm having a really hard time actually finishing it.  Does anything really worthwhile happen at the end?  I watched enough I want to know how it ends but I feel like they're just dragging it out.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1895 on: July 27, 2015, 07:12:01 AM

It's been a while since I've watched Death Note so really can't say.

Other thank keeping up with One Piece (dammit, there wasn't a new ep this past weekend!), I started watching Gintama again from the beginning and also started Assassination Classroom.  Yeah, neither is new but I don't usually keep up with the newest shows out there.

Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1896 on: July 27, 2015, 07:50:38 AM

So it's not exactly anime, but my Korean officemate (who has good taste) has been recommending Korean webcomics to me. This one is pretty good, and they are a great option at the office. Some of the episodes have sound, but not very many. http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/dice/list?title_no=64
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1897 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:35 AM

I don't really know anything about GATE other than watching the first 3 episodes but it seems really mediocre so far.   I really like the premise but so far it's not really grabbing me.  I'll probably keep up with though.  Seems like most of the season has been that way actually, I've started quite a few new series and most of them are kinda interesting but nothing really stand out.

I did finish the first season of Working!! which I thought was great.  I'll definitely keep going on that series.

So between seasons I started some older stuff that I hadn't seen and I slogged though ~34 episodes of Death Note.  I have less than 10 episodes left and I'm having a really hard time actually finishing it.  Does anything really worthwhile happen at the end?  I watched enough I want to know how it ends but I feel like they're just dragging it out.
The end of Death Note is stupid. The whole second half is just, ugh.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1898 on: July 27, 2015, 09:57:31 AM

Thanks, that pretty much confirms my not finishing it.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1899 on: July 27, 2015, 01:47:27 PM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1900 on: July 27, 2015, 04:36:00 PM

There's an unused ending where Death Note ends before the "second season".

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1901 on: July 27, 2015, 05:00:02 PM

I don't really know anything about GATE other than watching the first 3 episodes but it seems really mediocre so far.   I really like the premise but so far it's not really grabbing me.  I'll probably keep up with though.  Seems like most of the season has been that way actually, I've started quite a few new series and most of them are kinda interesting but nothing really stand out.
Basically GATE is based on a Light Novel written by a psychotically racist and nationalistic JSDF member as a jerkoff fantasy where they get to embarrass the world by pwning the shit out of fantasy romans when they open the Dark Portal to our world and it opens in Japan. Their army pours in to sack our world, they kill a smattering of civilians and grab a number of prisoners to use as slaves before getting pushed back through the portal. Then the JSDF goes through the portal and utterly decimates their army with modern artillery. They build a base and then start tooling around to recon and meet the locals to figure out what's going on.

This sounds really cool, but the MC is a Gary Stu retard who is somehow hyper-competent while being a lazy otaku, and the rest of his stereotype brigade grows to include a harem of a death god's servant who looks like a goth 12 year-old with a giant axe (but she's really 900+ years old you guys!!), elves of course, and various animal girls. The US doesn't intervene at all because in this world the war in the middle east is consuming so much of our resources the president thinks its fine for the Japanese to "pluck the chestnuts from the fire" and do all the fighting and recon. Anti-war politicians are set up as strawmen and humiliated, the JSDF just owns everything (including specops from other countries, including an awesome scene where they figure out the specops are from the US because "ONLY THE US HAS BLACK PEOPLE IN THEIR SPEC OPS!!"), and anyone that isn't glorious purebred Japanese are racist caricatures.

Every iteration of GATE (there have been more than a few of the original webnovel) has been toned down because it's so gross and nationalistic it even skeeves out the general Japanese population. Even watered down a half-dozen times the manga still features plenty of animal-girl rape, rape in general, and good old fashioned racism.

I hear the anime has redesigned the girls to be cuter, while cutting out more nationalism/racism and also removing most of the gore which is puzzling since the action is like the only good thing about it.

GATE sucks, like almost every anime or manga based on a Light Novel. See Also For Bad manga/anime: Overlord, RE:Monster

So it's not exactly anime, but my Korean officemate (who has good taste) has been recommending Korean webcomics to me. This one is pretty good, and they are a great option at the office. Some of the episodes have sound, but not very many. http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/dice/list?title_no=64
Dice is pretty good. So is "The Gamer".

Also "Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School"- which is basically a ButtlordGT level parody of the martial arts school stuff.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:08:28 PM by Fabricated »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1902 on: July 27, 2015, 07:02:10 PM

Have a link? Or just tell me, does Raito win? Because that's where it should've ended.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1903 on: July 28, 2015, 03:41:43 AM

Have a link? Or just tell me, does Raito win? Because that's where it should've ended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDeMxPiDft8

Basically yep.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1904 on: July 29, 2015, 08:09:13 AM

Durarara continues its excellence.

Durarara is my favorite show of the ones currently airing along with Gintama though with Gintama it depends on the episode alot more (the latest "scary story / Saint Seiya" episode was brilliant while the multi-episode executioner story before that was mediocre at best).
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1905 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:20 PM

Fall 2015 Anime Chart

Time to hope that the new Gundam is actually good for a change and that Utawarerumono is the good kind of "related to the previous series"-spinoff (K and One Punch Man are the shows that will definitely be on my watch list).

Also the Cyborg 009 vs Devilman movie seems like a weird combo but that will be well in to 2016 before it gets beyond Japan.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1906 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:09 PM

Ranpo Kitan Game of Laplace.
I almost skipped this one just due to its main character being a 13 year old school boy detective but damn does it get dark very quickly.
Not sure if I would recommend this series to anyone especially after just watching ep 5 which consisted basically of just a criminal more or less confessing his whole story in an interrogation and that story turns out to be a very depressing in itself (also the only other thing happening in the episode comes right at the end of it and lasts for about a minute and is also depressing as hell)  Ohhhhh, I see.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #1907 on: August 03, 2015, 11:17:05 PM

Yeah, have see the first three eps. Dark crimes sprinkled with trap jokes.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1908 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:41 AM

Just started watching Knights of Sidonia on Netflix with my wife. We've been on a hiatus from anime for a bit (5 years? sheesh) so it's nice to get back into a series, especially one that my wife enjoys. Somehow this is a Netflix Original?

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1909 on: August 04, 2015, 10:09:34 AM

It's not, like a lot of those "Netflix Originals" they gave some production funding but they are produced for a TV network (usually outside the U.S.)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1910 on: August 06, 2015, 05:05:00 PM

The Overlord anime is surprisingly good so far despite it being based on a Light Novel, because Light Novels are almost universally trash.

It's a pretty amusing flip on the "halp ik'm traped in the comupter" genre and the main character is like some of the people on this board were probably like 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:06:33 PM by Fabricated »

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1911 on: August 06, 2015, 07:04:04 PM

The Overlord anime is surprisingly good so far despite it being based on a Light Novel, because Light Novels are almost universally trash.

It's a pretty amusing flip on the "halp ik'm traped in the comupter" genre and the main character is like some of the people on this board were probably like 15 years ago.

That anime caused me to chase down a translation of the light novel, and the anime is definitely better than the light novel.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1912 on: August 07, 2015, 07:22:32 AM

Mostly because the anime cuts out a ton of bullshit.

As much as I've never liked the whole open world sandbox no-instance PK/PVP oriented MMO concept, I seriously want to see an MMO where a powerful enough guild could roll into a raid instance, evict the fucking monsters, and make it their guild base.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1913 on: August 08, 2015, 01:32:05 AM

Ranpo Kitan Game of Laplace.
I almost skipped this one just due to its main character being a 13 year old school boy detective but damn does it get dark very quickly.
Not sure if I would recommend this series to anyone especially after just watching ep 5 which consisted basically of just a criminal more or less confessing his whole story in an interrogation and that story turns out to be a very depressing in itself (also the only other thing happening in the episode comes right at the end of it and lasts for about a minute and is also depressing as hell)  Ohhhhh, I see.

...and then it's followed by episode 6 which is just a pure comedy episode and mediocre at that compared to for example this week's Gintama episode.   swamp poop
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1914 on: August 08, 2015, 04:02:22 AM

You know, I try to give GATE a chance every time they do a new version of it since every iteration they edit more and more of the creepy, stupid, and boringly jingoistic stuff out but the fun concept of GATE is still ruined by the fact it was a spankfic written by an ultra-nationalist JSDF member which is probably the most embarrassing form of ultra-nationalist.

I actually like the manga version but the anime seems to feel the need to pad out the story which leads to extended "fight" sequences which aren't that great due to the disparity between the sides.
Some fights like
might be interesting to watch properly animated but not sure I'm interested enough to stick with Gate until then.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1915 on: August 10, 2015, 08:07:04 AM

Rokka no Yuusha (Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers) has a pretty interesting story so far.  At first it seemed like it was just going to be a demon beat 'em up, but  the character interactions have been more interesting than that where you're not 100% sure on who's good and who's bad.

Also been playing the VN If My Heart had Wings which is way better than I expected.  It's a sort of SoL/Romance VN about a 'Soaring Club' at a high school that build a glider.  Very good and I need to find more VNs like this one if people have recommendations.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1916 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:31 PM

I actually like the manga version but the anime seems to feel the need to pad out the story which leads to extended "fight" sequences which aren't that great due to the disparity between the sides.
Some fights like
might be interesting to watch properly animated but not sure I'm interested enough to stick with Gate until then.
Just FYI if you haven't read the manga it has stuff like THIS chapter in it.

ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK SAFE   http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gate-Jietai-Kare-no-Chi-nite-Kaku-Tatakeri/Ch-029-Read-Online?id=177838  ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK SAFE

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1917 on: August 10, 2015, 06:24:12 PM

Also been playing the VN If My Heart had Wings which is way better than I expected.  It's a sort of SoL/Romance VN about a 'Soaring Club' at a high school that build a glider.  Very good and I need to find more VNs like this one if people have recommendations.

What VNs have you read, do you mind having to torrent things, and do you care if there are H-scenes? There's a long list of Slice of Life/Romance/Drama VNs that are all very good. Anything by Key (Little Busters, Clannad, etc), Sharin no Kuni, ef- a fairy tale of the two, Grisaia no Kajitsu. The one most similar to If My Heart Had Wings that I can think of would be Hoshizora no Memoria. I'm pretty sure basically everything I just listed has H-scenes, though.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1918 on: August 11, 2015, 12:34:38 AM

Some fights like

ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK SAFE   http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gate-Jietai-Kare-no-Chi-nite-Kaku-Tatakeri/Ch-029-Read-Online?id=177838  ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK SAFE

Just a rabbit girl being azzraped by evil gaijin.  this guy looks legit

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1919 on: August 11, 2015, 02:58:01 AM

Thanks, that pretty much confirms my not finishing it.

The Death Note live action movies are worth watching. It's one story over two films and quite similar to the anime except it doesn't go strangely downhill half way through. The ending is a bit different too.

There's also a third spin-off film (L: Change the World) I've never seen.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1920 on: August 11, 2015, 03:51:11 AM

Some fights like

ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK SAFE   http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gate-Jietai-Kare-no-Chi-nite-Kaku-Tatakeri/Ch-029-Read-Online?id=177838  ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK SAFE

Just a rabbit girl being azzraped by evil gaijin.  this guy looks legit
Nah it's one of the evil fantasy romans doing pretty much exactly what they normally do to the people in their world. The Gaijin amusingly are the JSDF who are awesome and never ever do anything wrong or fuck up at all or really even get hurt that bad. It's just everyone else that dies because they don't listen to mighty JSDF Gary Stu man.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1921 on: August 13, 2015, 07:07:21 AM

What VNs have you read, do you mind having to torrent things, and do you care if there are H-scenes? There's a long list of Slice of Life/Romance/Drama VNs that are all very good. Anything by Key (Little Busters, Clannad, etc), Sharin no Kuni, ef- a fairy tale of the two, Grisaia no Kajitsu. The one most similar to If My Heart Had Wings that I can think of would be Hoshizora no Memoria. I'm pretty sure basically everything I just listed has H-scenes, though.

Recently mostly just stuff on Steam, so Analogue, eden*, fault milestone, Roomates, Everlasting Summer plus a bunch of the less VN ones like Sunrider, Magical Diary, etc.  There's a bunch more I'm sure if I think back farther.  But yeah I don't really care either way as long as the story is good.

I'll check those out, I've had the Clannad anime on my watch list for awhile but I think at the time it was only on Hulu and I have to REALLY want to watch something to put up with commercials.  Which is why I avoid a bunch of Funimation stuff lately.

I did speak a little early on If My Heart Had Wings, the first path I went through was great but I went for a second play through and the path was a total garbled mess.  I could get bits of what was going on but for the most part the translation was swamp poop   Hopefully just the one path was messed up.

I also watched the Berserk thing they put on Netflix (since people here had mentioned that a ways back) which was good but now I really want to see how it ends.  I thought it was the series but guess it's just a movie.  Or part of a movie rather.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1922 on: August 13, 2015, 08:33:33 AM

Clannad has had a fan translation for a long time. I've heard people complain about the quality but to my non-discerning eye it was fine. But if you're willing to wait, through some unholy magic Sekai Project actually acquired the license to publish Clannad officially in English- there was a kickstarter not too long ago that raised a lot of money. Presumably the translation will be higher quality. Warning: Clannad clocks in at over 1 million words. It is loooooong.

If you feel like browsing what VNs are out there that have been translated, this link has them sorted by rating.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:35:08 AM by Azuredream »

The Lord of the Land approaches..
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1923 on: August 13, 2015, 01:12:52 PM

I should start making a regular post here to say that if you aren't reading or watching Gintama, you're missing out.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1924 on: August 13, 2015, 01:36:06 PM

I should start making a regular post here to say that if you aren't reading or watching Gintama, you're missing out.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: