Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 641125 times)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1925 on: August 14, 2015, 07:34:42 AM

I started Gintama way late, and by the time I came around to it was like 300+ episodes deep. Just not interesting enough to slog through that many episodes.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1926 on: August 14, 2015, 07:43:28 AM

I started Gintama way late, and by the time I came around to it was like 300+ episodes deep. Just not interesting enough to slog through that many episodes.
It's worth it though.  I'm just starting a (re)watch since I only got so far in before stopping for assorted reasons.  Now I'm just watching a few eps at a time and enjoying the ride.  Nothing says you have to binge watch them all (unless you want to).

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1927 on: August 14, 2015, 07:57:44 AM

Nothing says you have to binge watch them all (unless you want to).
I have that particular disease where I am driven to complete a story or bring myself to the most current point of a story.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1928 on: August 21, 2015, 06:25:13 AM

From this episode on, Overlord is going to have its work cut out for it in terms of clever editing and animation if they're going to stick to the LN/Graphic Novel at all, because while the amount of violence in terms of time-on-screen is not very high here coming up what's going to happen may not be TV airable. If they stick to the script it'll rule; establishes the real brutality of the world and perfectly shows what a Lawful Evil-type character does to people who fuck with people they like.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1929 on: August 22, 2015, 04:45:34 PM

From this episode on, Overlord is going to have its work cut out for it in terms of clever editing and animation if they're going to stick to the LN/Graphic Novel at all, because while the amount of violence in terms of time-on-screen is not very high here coming up what's going to happen may not be TV airable. If they stick to the script it'll rule; establishes the real brutality of the world and perfectly shows what a Lawful Evil-type character does to people who fuck with people they like.
Oh yeah, most definitely.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1930 on: August 25, 2015, 05:17:57 PM

They they kinda softshoed the first bit of gruesomeness but I can kinda get that a bit; they did show more than I thought. It's a bit more graphic than the manga so far even.

Next episode they better push the envelope a bit because it's one of the most cathartic scenes ever.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1931 on: August 26, 2015, 04:02:17 PM

Not a bad season so far, if only because Overlord shows promise and Gangsta has been really good (only four episodes in, though). Gangsta was a big surprise.. didn't expect it to be all that good. It's well done and different (it isn't set in Japan!). Liking the darker, semi-realistic tone it has going. Probably my favourite anime (unless it nose-dives later on.. which is very possible) since Jormungand.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1932 on: August 30, 2015, 08:04:57 PM

I'm not sure how popular it was because I am not really in the loop, however, I just discovered Jormungand. It is about an arms dealer and it is really fucking good.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1933 on: August 30, 2015, 08:36:42 PM

I'm not sure how popular it was because I am not really in the loop, however, I just discovered Jormungand. It is about an arms dealer and it is really fucking good.

Her name is Koko, she is loco.

If you're liking Jormungand, I'd give this season's Gangsta a shot. Similar tone. Gangsta also features a deaf protagonist, which was a surprising, and welcome, change of pace. His voice actor does a pretty good job, imo, with it as well. The animation isn't the greatest, but it's well told. Unlikely it gets a second season, but I'm up to eight episodes of it now and it's still my favourite anime in a long while.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1934 on: September 01, 2015, 11:43:38 AM

I am intrigued to see if Overlord did justice to "THE HUG" when I get home.

Edit: Ehh. Not bad but not nearly long/excruciating enough.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:09:18 PM by Fabricated »

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1935 on: September 01, 2015, 10:06:52 PM

How is it in the book then?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1936 on: September 02, 2015, 05:00:45 AM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1937 on: September 02, 2015, 05:30:19 AM

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:36:07 AM by Fabricated »

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1938 on: September 13, 2015, 02:02:57 AM

Fall season lineup:

K: Return of the Kings is the one show I'll probably watch and I'm sure I'll check out Utawarerumono, One-Punch Man and the the new Gundam series and hopefully atleast one of them will turn out to be interesting.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1939 on: September 13, 2015, 02:07:21 PM

Lupin and One Punch Man are about it on that list for me. Also Overlord but that's almost over.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1940 on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:30 PM

Lupin and One Punch Man are about it on that list for me. Also Overlord but that's almost over.

For some reason I'm not impressed with Overlord. I keep watching it but somehow the story seems to lack something or maybe I just don't like any of the characters that much.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1941 on: September 15, 2015, 12:49:03 PM

I think it doesn't sit well with many people. Probably because there is no "good" guy.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1942 on: September 15, 2015, 01:37:16 PM

I think it doesn't sit well with many people. Probably because there is no "good" guy.

I think (for me) it has more to do with the fact that the main character never really feels like he's in danger and the world isn't that interesting compared to something like Log Horizon or Hack Sign (or even Sword Art Online).
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1943 on: September 15, 2015, 01:40:10 PM

You know, I don't think I've ever seen Hack Sign. Is it a good show?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1944 on: September 15, 2015, 02:02:44 PM

.hack//Sign is pretty good, if you know what you're expecting: it's a character driven drama set in an MMO, not an action anime. Despite being connected to the first round of games, it has a better conclusion than .hack//Roots without playing it's games.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1945 on: September 15, 2015, 02:29:10 PM

Overlord spends quite a lot of time on its side characters which helps with the 'no actual tension' problem, but Ainz is still the type of OP protagonist like Koukou no Rettousei or One Punch Man where the interest isn't in 'will he win?' but 'how will he win?'

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1946 on: September 15, 2015, 03:31:32 PM

I'm a sucker for overpowered main characters.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1947 on: October 01, 2015, 05:12:03 AM

Manglobe had started procedures for bankruptcy on the 29th which probably means that no second season for Gangsta which is pretty meh considering how the first season just ended (without anything being resolved).  swamp poop
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1948 on: October 01, 2015, 10:14:09 AM

Yeah, the ended was... disappointing. Show kind of went downhill towards the end. I'd still like a second season, but.. if there isn't one I'll just put Gangsta with the other anime that I wanted to get another season and it never happened (poor Tytania).

Only a couple anime I'm interested in for this coming season, as well. I'll probably give eight or nine of them a shot (I give any half-interesting anime four episodes) but I doubt I'll be watching more than three by the end of the season, and I hae a decently broad genre I'll usually watch.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1949 on: October 03, 2015, 05:45:10 PM

So it's not exactly anime, but my Korean officemate (who has good taste) has been recommending Korean webcomics to me. This one is pretty good, and they are a great option at the office. Some of the episodes have sound, but not very many. http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/dice/list?title_no=64

I really loved Girls of the Wilds, I never kept up on it bc webcomics but who knows how long ago I read all of it that existed and it was pleasing on the eyes and not shit or too cheesecake.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1950 on: October 10, 2015, 10:15:32 AM

Fall season lineup:

K: Return of the Kings is the one show I'll probably watch and I'm sure I'll check out Utawarerumono, One-Punch Man and the the new Gundam series and hopefully atleast one of them will turn out to be interesting.

Based on their first episodes all on my checklist are worth a second episode at the least: K continues where the previous series (and movie) left off, One-Punch Man looks great and seems to retain the manga's feel, Gundam is actually the good kind of Gundam  and Utawarerumono seems interesting enough.  awesome, for real
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1951 on: October 12, 2015, 07:56:23 AM

Been watching some older stuff between seasons and just finished Noragami which I thought was great.  I'd definitely watch another season.

Spring/Summer anime seasons were so good but this season I'm struggling to find shows.  I just need to pick a few more random ones and give them a shot.  Out of what I have tried Owarimonogatari is a definite watch for me.  Asterisk War seems like it could be ok.  The one show about the Bones lady is kinda funny, I may give it another episode or two just because it's like watching a cheesy forensic tv show.  Everyone seems to be into the One Punch Man thing so I may have to brave the commercials and give it a shot =p
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1952 on: November 11, 2015, 06:22:49 PM

Her name is Koko, she is loco.

If you're liking Jormungand, I'd give this season's Gangsta a shot. Similar tone. Gangsta also features a deaf protagonist, which was a surprising, and welcome, change of pace. His voice actor does a pretty good job, imo, with it as well. The animation isn't the greatest, but it's well told. Unlikely it gets a second season, but I'm up to eight episodes of it now and it's still my favourite anime in a long while.

Please please please please please tell me you all have watched Black Lagoon. Because while Jormungand was quite fun and got pretty good. Lagoon is a masterpiece in the same vein and style.

I think that new season is about as good looking to me as any season ever is this far out.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1953 on: January 18, 2016, 07:06:00 AM

If anyone is looking for shows this season, the first two episodes of Erased have been really interesting so far.

I have 2 episodes of Black Lagoon left and regardless of how it ends it was a really good change of pace from the other stuff I've been watching.  Good recommendation  Thumbs up!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1954 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:59 AM

I hope you watched both seasons, because the second season was for me even better than the excellent first. There's also a quite good side story OVA set.

I'd rec both Amagi Brilliant Park if I haven't already and Blood Blockade Battlefront to f13 the latter was totally out there in ways that might bug some people but I thought it had good heart and was a lot of fun while taking itself just seriously enough, has some really great episodes. Its a shame that the overall plot wasn't executed in a more coherent sensible way (if only it had had 20+ eps) but its interesting, well animated and the characters are good.

-William Gibson
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1955 on: January 21, 2016, 10:23:40 AM

So far this season I'm enjoying two series more than I expected; Hai to Gensou no Grimgar and Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!. Both are (vastly) different takes on the same subject; being dropped into an RPG like world. The former is a more realistic (primarily emotionally/personality-wise) take on the genre and the latter is a complete 180 from that where they make routine fun of the genre. Both shows may go down the crapper at some point, but so far I'm enjoying those two a fair bit.

Couple other new shows I'm watching, but nothing else has really stood out.

Druzil; Black Lagoon was great, yeah. One of the few anime I'll actively re-watch now and then and thoroughly enjoy. Great characters throughout that show. Darker Than Black's first season is another one I re-watch now and then.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1956 on: March 11, 2016, 05:27:19 PM

we gotta watch more anime guys we gotta watch more

we just finished fullmetal alchemist brotherhood (approved) and knights of sidonia (approved but holy uncanny motion) and i also liked the attack on titan stuff so what else should we watch (assume i really have seen only like .002% of anime)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1957 on: March 11, 2016, 05:46:19 PM

Grimgar is supposedly good. Basically it's "halp i'm trapped in an RPG-like fantasy world", only there's no videogame VR bit, the characters don't remember anything, and it's basically "what would it be like to realistically be a level 1 scrub in a real version of a fantasy world". We're talking like it taking maximal effort and 4-5 noobs to kill a goblin, who like a lot of living things can stand up to a lot of stabbing and slashing and can fight back, and making so little selling their junk you literally live hand-to-mouth.

One of the character's first order of business is to earn enough money mugging goblins with his party so he can buy a new pair of underwear.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1958 on: March 11, 2016, 06:09:11 PM

we gotta watch more anime guys we gotta watch more

we just finished fullmetal alchemist brotherhood (approved) and knights of sidonia (approved but holy uncanny motion) and i also liked the attack on titan stuff so what else should we watch (assume i really have seen only like .002% of anime)

Cowboy Bebop? Hellsing? Vampire Hunter D? Blood+. (ok those are vampire series). Trigun, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin, Last Exile.  Oo, almost forgot, Witch Hunter Robin. Very good, my wife loved that one.

Those are my staples anyways and *probably* spouse approved. Non-spouse approved would be GTO, FLCL, Excel Saga, but if you are new to anime I'd only recommend GTO.

Did you see the original Fullmetal Alchemist? (before brotherhood was out) If not, I recommend it, I like it more than Brotherhood.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:11:31 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1959 on: March 11, 2016, 06:35:16 PM

Sounds like he has just been watching stuff available on Netflix.

Trying to think what they have on there that is pretty good...

Eureka Seven is not too bad.

Kill la Kill is good but definitely a bit on the weirder side.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: