Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 12:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 657032 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1820 on: May 27, 2014, 04:11:03 PM

Kill La Kill was glorious even though it made me feel like a giant perve.

Hell, most of the anime these days that's not super serious makes me feel like a giant perve.  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1821 on: July 09, 2014, 02:56:11 AM

Just watched Ghost in the Shell Arise 3 - Ghost Tears. It really reminded me how much I like the series/movies and I guess it might be time to re-watch them once again.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1822 on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:56 PM

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1823 on: September 13, 2014, 10:23:38 AM

Not really a recommendation but the fall's shows:

Second seasons of Log Horizon and Psycho Pass are on my watch list and maybe some of the new shows will surprise in a positive way ie. Ronia which doesn't look like my type of show but the fact it's Ghibli might mean it'll turn out to be just so well done that it's a must see. The new Tenchi Muyo seems disappointing by the looks of it but I did enjoy the original (and some of the stuff after it) Tenchi when it came out so I might just watch an episode or two for nostalgia's sake.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1824 on: September 13, 2014, 05:12:44 PM

Was going to say.  Yet another reboot of Tenchi?   I also see they are rebooting Parasite too.

World Trigger will probably be on my watch list.  The manga is fairly decent, so I will probably check out the first couple of anime episodes just to see if it holds up.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #1825 on: September 14, 2014, 12:29:03 AM

Yay, more Mushishi.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1826 on: September 15, 2014, 07:18:35 AM

Nisekoi OVA  Heart

Finished up Steins;Gate which was really amazing, so thanks for that recommendation.

Started up on Log Horizon which is alright so far.   When I started it for some reason I was expecting Sci-fi, not stuck in the game so maybe that just threw me off.  Did you guys that like Log Horizon/SAO watch No Game No Life?  I really liked the first few episodes of it and then by the end of the run I was getting a bit tired of the shtick.   I am interested to see where it goes though.

Anyone know if Black Bullet did well enough to get a season 2?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1827 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:34 AM

I loved NGNL except for the fact that it ended nowhere. Hope we get a 2nd season at some point. It's a common theme in anime these days but I liked the execution this time.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1828 on: September 17, 2014, 12:06:04 AM

I thought NGNL was meh decent the way it was but it would have been a much better more complete experience had it just been a full story at 20-something eps. That is an annoying new trend. Too many shows crammed into 12-ep runs that they don't even try to make work.

Felt the same way about Noragami which I thought might have been quality if they had actually executed some kind of complete story.

Felt even more the same way about Witch Craft Works which I actually loved up until it suddenly ended without reaching something that resembled an ending. The art and animation were quality, the boobs were big and the MC was a little bit less shit than they often are. I'm also always more fond of the bizzaro random event anime than the slice of life playing it straight type stuff.

Damn that really has been a trend lately those are 3 of the last shows of any quality at all that I've finished. None of them actually told a complete story.

Apparently someone removed that video from youtube that I posted awhile back but Knights of Sidonia is for sure worth watching on Netflix streaming.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:20:25 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #1829 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:19 AM

I thought NGNL was meh decent the way it was but it would have been a much better more complete experience had it just been a full story at 20-something eps. That is an annoying new trend. Too many shows crammed into 12-ep runs that they don't even try to make work.

Felt the same way about Noragami which I thought might have been quality if they had actually executed some kind of complete story.

Felt even more the same way about Witch Craft Works which I actually loved up until it suddenly ended without reaching something that resembled an ending. The art and animation were quality, the boobs were big and the MC was a little bit less shit than they often are. I'm also always more fond of the bizzaro random event anime than the slice of life playing it straight type stuff.

All 3 of those used unfinished source material.   
I think Noragami is the only one with enough source material for a 2nd season sadly. I haven't watched it or read the source material, so I can't be certain.  But with 11 Manga Volumes it seems likely to have more material.
NGNL has 6 Light Novel volumes and it ended roughly where the 3rd LN volume finished. As far as I can tell the remaining 3 novels cover 2 intermixed story arcs that are not finished yet. (I can't read Japanese and the translation of V6 was stopped due to licensing) 
Witch Craft Works is an ongoing Manga. Last I knew it was currently in the middle of a memories story arc that takes place right after where the anime ended. There are some other smaller side story like mini arcs, but not enough for another season.

As of late a large number of anime series have been adaptations of light novels and manga.  Some of which have been terrible (Mahou Sensou) and others that have held up to the source material really well. (Log Horizon) There have also been some that try and condense more into a 24 episode series that end up cutting important details. (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1830 on: September 18, 2014, 01:59:54 PM

Most anime coming from LNs/manga is not a new trend. FMA and Berserk are two high profile, old school examples of shows that dealt with incomplete source material (poorly).

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1831 on: September 18, 2014, 02:52:34 PM

Most anime coming from LNs/manga is not a new trend. FMA and Berserk are two high profile, old school examples of shows that dealt with incomplete source material (poorly).
Well, the original series had the benefit of working with the mangaka to come up with the alternate storyline at least.  Plus FMA had enough popularity to get the FMA:B made which follows the entire manga storyline with the exception of the first episode.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1832 on: September 18, 2014, 03:52:55 PM

I didn't know the mangaka had a hand in the original FMA ending; it was still fucking awful and one of the worst anime endings ever.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1833 on: September 18, 2014, 04:38:13 PM

Huh? Berserk, in all it's animated versions, pretty much included everything that was in the manga story arc it was based on. Sure, it didn't keep going past that point but it wasn't supposed to.

Also, Witch Craft Works has the god damn cutest ending song and animation ever.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1834 on: September 18, 2014, 05:43:32 PM

My problem with Berserk's ending is that they made it very obvious that the whole thing was a setup for future arcs. The wrapper of future-Guts with his cool crossbow arm and shit were all unnecessary, and when I finished it my reaction was just "That was it!?" after the absurdity of suddenly, demons, demons everywhere which I guess is canon but still stupid.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1835 on: September 19, 2014, 05:00:51 PM

Also, Witch Craft Works has the god damn cutest ending song and animation ever.

I really liked that show. Great animation too. Shame it was 1/4th of a story going nowhere. I think when I looked it up they said it they had used most of the source material up which usually means its a year or two before the material gets put out and they get around to making a show if they bother.

In order to get the most out of Berserk you need to just skip the first scene and the last 3 eps or was it first 3 eps? I forget what exactly but someone told me and I was forever glad that I did. A wonderful show that would have been ruined by trivializing that story with all the dumb xbow arm shit and other manga arc foreshadowing that I only found out about much later.

One of my favorite anime of all time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:04:27 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1836 on: September 19, 2014, 10:27:27 PM

In order to get the most out of Berserk you need to just skip the first scene and the last 3 eps or was it first 3 eps? I forget what exactly but someone told me and I was forever glad that I did. A wonderful show that would have been ruined by trivializing that story with all the dumb xbow arm shit and other manga arc foreshadowing that I only found out about much later.

It's first scene and last 3 episodes, but no one every gave me that warning; if they had I probably would have loved it. It was a really good low-fantasy medieval war anime until suddenly demons and rape and what the fuck am I watch and wow it's fucking over what the fuck.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1837 on: September 20, 2014, 02:02:39 AM

It's first scene and last 3 episodes, but no one every gave me that warning; if they had I probably would have loved it. It was a really good low-fantasy medieval war anime until suddenly demons and rape and what the fuck am I watch and wow it's fucking over what the fuck.

I really liked the Berserk anime (and Susumu Hirasawa's music for it was just perfect).

The manga is great storywise and artistically but unfortunately it hasn't been published regularly for some years now.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1838 on: September 20, 2014, 09:21:54 PM

So I only watch anime on Adult Swim but wow, how'd I manage to miss seeing Gurran Lagann before this?  Loving it!  And they're showing the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs so I can finally see that show too.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1839 on: September 23, 2014, 06:56:45 PM

If you think fondly of the older more militarized mecha stuff like War in the Pocket or even old Macross.

1) You should have already watched Knights of Sidonia (netflix streaming).

2) Aldanoah: Zero is actually way better than it sounds, looks or deserves to be (crunchyroll streaming).

Neither are perfect and I do love giant robots but both are a cut above most of the anime, let alone mecha anime, they seem to be making these days. Felt like they were made with more than just 10-16 year olds in mind.

-William Gibson
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1840 on: October 17, 2014, 04:33:05 AM

Not really a recommendation but the fall's shows:
Second seasons of Log Horizon and Psycho Pass are on my watch list and maybe some of the new shows will surprise in a positive way ie. Ronia which doesn't look like my type of show but the fact it's Ghibli might mean it'll turn out to be just so well done that it's a must see. The new Tenchi Muyo seems disappointing by the looks of it but I did enjoy the original (and some of the stuff after it) Tenchi when it came out so I might just watch an episode or two for nostalgia's sake.

Tenchi is utter crap and couldn't even finish the first 5-minute episode.  swamp poop
Ronia on the other hand is pure Ghibli-goodness based on the first double (45min) episode.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1841 on: October 17, 2014, 07:59:33 AM

I really enjoyed Log Horizon's first season.  Much better than Sword Art Online (though the second season of that is an improvement, imo).  I was enjoying the Irregular Magic High for most of its run but then it went into hurry mode for the last 2-3 episodes, which was meh.   I also watched Tokyo Ghoul, and while it wasn't quite what I was expecting, I really enjoyed it, and can't wait for more. 

Oh, and I second the call on Aldanoah: Zero.  it's a really good watch.  (I'm biased, however, as I like main characters who are competent and get shit done).

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1842 on: October 17, 2014, 11:34:43 AM

I really enjoyed Log Horizon's first season.  Much better than Sword Art Online (though the second season of that is an improvement, imo).  I was enjoying the Irregular Magic High for most of its run but then it went into hurry mode for the last 2-3 episodes, which was meh.   I also watched Tokyo Ghoul, and while it wasn't quite what I was expecting, I really enjoyed it, and can't wait for more. 

Oh, and I second the call on Aldanoah: Zero.  it's a really good watch.  (I'm biased, however, as I like main characters who are competent and get shit done).

I can't get enough Irregular Magic High, although I liked the first ~15 episodes better than the latest ones.  I want to like Log Horizon but it's just so slow.  I think I'm about done with the first season but I've had to force myself to watch the last few episodes.  I think it would be good if they just picked up the pace a bit (not SAO fast though).

Currently hunting around for some new stuff to watch.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1843 on: October 17, 2014, 03:35:12 PM

Currently hunting around for some new stuff to watch.

Amagi Brilliant Park and Parasyte are new this season and are both pretty good as of the second episode. Terraformars is boring and tired as fuck, plus it has ridiculous levels of censoring. It's a gore manga that's had literally every bit of gore covered with black circles in the anime. Grisaia no Kajitsu is okay so far but will probably turn into another harem drama. Cross Ange is okay but is all about T & A and has had at least one lesbian rape in each episode. Trinity Seven is magic school harem. Shingeki no Bahamut is pretty decent so far.

There's a lot of fantasy setting stuff this season. Or by "newer" did you mean you wanted something from the last couple of seasons that is already all done? Oh, and the CG Harlock movie from last year is really stunning if you haven't seen it yet. As was the recent Space Battleship Yamato 2199 series.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1844 on: October 17, 2014, 04:26:48 PM

Anything is fine, I queued a few of those up to check out.  Thanks.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1845 on: October 17, 2014, 07:35:34 PM

Oh shit, I had been meaning to check out the yamato series, but it had totally slipped my mind.  Thanks for reminding me.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1846 on: October 19, 2014, 02:33:38 PM

Anything is fine, I queued a few of those up to check out.  Thanks.

For the record anything is fine is a really bad way to ask for help.

But here are in my opinion the best anime of the last 5 years, no order.

Fun/Stupid things I normally never rec on f13, but you are talking about Irregular at Magic HS and SAO so you clearly don't need art or smart storytelling to enjoy a show:
Ben-To
Denpa Onna
Boku wa Tomodachi (2 seasons)
The World God Only Knows (2 seasons)
Oreimo (2 seasons)
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
Witch Craft Works
Ladies X Butlers

Good story / has heart / not as fluffy/silly/light/stupid:
Stein's Gate
Monogatari series (all of them are fantastic)
Time of Eve
Psycho Pass
Anohana
Durararara
Noragami
Kokoro Connect
K
Another
Sankarea

More Action:
Attack on Titan
Aldnoah Zero
Knights of Sidonia
Fate/Zero (2 seasons)
Guilty Crown

Pure Slice of Life / Shoujo / Romance:
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Hyouka
Ano Natsu de Matteru

Now see if you had specified what you actually liked. That would be a much more useful list. There's a lot of things with fanservice too heavy for many, too romance focused for some, way too over the top retarded action for the sake of it for others, etc.

But there are 5 years worth of the better shows I've seen. Things like Zettsubo and Mushishi aren't on there because I really dislike super slow dry anime so I generally avoid it even if its obviously quality judging from the general response.

You can also just go through the thread, the shows out of these where I'm not ignoring obvious stupidity or really glaring plot flaws I generally rec to f13, things like Guilty Crown where it was fun and cute mainly but the story was just pants on your head and then set on fire retarded.. not so much the target audience around here.

Oh and since I too wished Irregular at Magic HS was actually a complete story and didn't fall apart so badly in the second half...

If you liked it because of the god mode MC you want to watch Code Geass because its quite similar but better in almost every way with a completed competent story and + robots.

If you liked it because you fell hard for the little sister... That's tougher. I'd have to get back to you on that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:38:29 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1847 on: October 19, 2014, 05:11:36 PM

Hoax has pretty much a good lineup on the anime (though I'm a Mushishi type of guy too).  I'll probably post later with a write up of my own if I can finish up my work first.  But, again, Hoax has quite a bit of decent anime to start with.

Oh, I'm halfway through the yamato 2199 and I'm fucking loving it.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1848 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:18 PM

Fun/Stupid things I normally never rec on f13, but you are talking about Irregular at Magic HS and SAO so you clearly don't need art or smart storytelling to enjoy a show:

That really burns man, seriously. SAO is a nice middle ground anime during a real drought of decent shit to watch and Mahouka comes from an amazing light novel, and even though the adaption is lacking it still is stand up in a time of really bland fan-service anime.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1849 on: October 19, 2014, 09:44:22 PM

Wut?

I hear that S2 or 3 or whatever we are calling the one with guns (not the one with elves and the little sister) is much much better but the first version of it was pretty terribad and the second part with the little sister and the elves was maybe even worse.

Some of the .Hack anime were better and those were mainly junk. I mean look at my list. I like junk and mindless fluff and boob physics as much as if not more than the next guy. But come on, SAO is mass appeal drek and total wish fulfillment storytelling. I'd say its one of the worst "trapped in a video game" anime and none of them are great.

Kirito could literally be named xXxSniperWolfxXx for how the characterize him at the start.

The difference between SAO and the anime I listed under that heading is all of those listed anime some exceptional quality. SAO is like Bleach-tier level art and storytelling and the characters and characterizations are vanilla and full of plot device contrivances.

Look its watchable and a little bit fun but its not good.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:00:12 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1850 on: October 19, 2014, 10:16:51 PM

SAO was Naruto meets .hack. .hack//Sign at least explored the "trapped in a game" in an interesting way. SAO wasn't awful but it wasn't really great either; the elf arc's only redeeming quality is his adorable imouto.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1851 on: October 19, 2014, 11:01:57 PM

Yeah but Irregular at Magical HS basically upgrades Kirito and his imouto to SSJ power and cuteness levels and they still aren't enough to make that a "good" anime.

Look I'll admit that both of those shows are probably no worse "objectively" than Guilty Crown but that had mecha, better art and combat setpices and a lot more cute girls AND a way better opening song and unlike Magical HS it actually was a finished story.

But I don't any of the other 30 or so anime I listed there would ever deserve to be considered the same "quality" as SAO. SAO is just lazy, they don't even try to be quality and fail its just pandering and following a formula. Its like the pop music of storytelling.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:06:54 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1852 on: October 19, 2014, 11:08:50 PM

Mahouka's imouto is way less adorable that Suguha. Also Guilty Crown had one of the worst MCs I've ever seen; almost as bad as Mirai Nikki in terms of shit tier MC.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1853 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:17 AM

I'm not going to deny liking some shitty anime, but then again I like some shit video games too, so at least I'm consistent  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When I said anything is ok, I was just trying to clarify my sentence on "newer", which I really just meant "new to me".  Although really I will give anything a shot, I don't try to just only watch one genre or anything.  Also for the record I thought SAO was just OK, I only mentioned it because of all the Log Horizon talk.  I'm not really sure why I like Irregular Magic School, maybe it is the God MC, but I liked the first competition arc where he struggles a bit better than this latest military arc where he goes full god mode.  I think it's probably the mix of Sci-Fi, School & Magic more than anything.

Anyways, thanks for the list, I haven't seen quite a few of them on there so look like I have a backlog again, which is good.  Specifically from that list I thought Kokoro Connect, Steins Gate & Fate/Zero were exceptional.  Ano Natsu de Matteru I started watching last week and I like it so far, but I'm only about half way through.
Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #1854 on: November 01, 2014, 01:22:44 AM

For the truly selective for anime of recent couple of seasons, cream of the crop for me was: Barakamon, which is great for slice-of-life (especially if you like Yatsubato). Space Dandy is also good for originality, unpredictability, and western appeal.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: