Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 05:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 657010 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1680 on: February 24, 2013, 03:42:51 AM

Hetalia is very much an acquired taste.  While I found the show interesting, I just couldnt get past the format after the first few episodes.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1681 on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:39 AM

I don't have anything typed up, and I have a wide variety of things I like so it's not going to be quite form fitting.  Going through my hard drives I'm cherry picking titles which I remember resonated with me but I have a horrible memory and not only have I missed some but some may not have weathered well since I've watched them.  Also, there are probably 20 times this that are decent watches, but nothing super special.
(snip)
Going through your list and I was expecting a certain show to be there - especially after seeing Madoka - and I was a little surprised when it wasn't. So, go watch Revolutionary Girl Utena. And definitely try to get the HD remaster, if you can find it.

Yes, it's my default "You must watch this show" recommendation* but judging from your list it should probably fit your tastes. (I'd almost recommend watching Mawaru Penguindrum first - it's by the same director, in a similar vein and more modern but the problem is that it's just not as good).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1682 on: February 24, 2013, 07:55:10 AM

Finally, now this thread is about decent anime.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1683 on: February 24, 2013, 03:58:09 PM

Did they ever finish Juuni Kokki?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1684 on: February 24, 2013, 04:10:17 PM

I don't have anything typed up, and I have a wide variety of things I like so it's not going to be quite form fitting.  Going through my hard drives I'm cherry picking titles which I remember resonated with me but I have a horrible memory and not only have I missed some but some may not have weathered well since I've watched them.  Also, there are probably 20 times this that are decent watches, but nothing super special.
(snip)
Going through your list and I was expecting a certain show to be there - especially after seeing Madoka - and I was a little surprised when it wasn't. So, go watch Revolutionary Girl Utena. And definitely try to get the HD remaster, if you can find it.

Yes, it's my default "You must watch this show" recommendation* but judging from your list it should probably fit your tastes. (I'd almost recommend watching Mawaru Penguindrum first - it's by the same director, in a similar vein and more modern but the problem is that it's just not as good).

Oh I've seen Utena.  I enjoyed it but it went a little too far out in wtf land for my tastes.  Still a decent watch.  Haven't seen Penguindrum, I don't think.  Will look into that, thanks.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1685 on: February 24, 2013, 05:34:54 PM

Some of you folks need to create MAL accounts.  Makes it easier to share lists when someone is asking for recs.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1686 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:35 PM

No, it ended as the author of the original stories passed away (without finishing the story).  sad
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1687 on: February 25, 2013, 10:26:40 AM

Nvrmnd.

- Viin
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #1688 on: February 25, 2013, 04:03:50 PM

Thanks for the Moribito recommendation, just finished marathoning it over three days.
Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #1689 on: February 25, 2013, 04:09:13 PM

No, it ended as the author of the original stories passed away (without finishing the story).  sad

Fuyumi Ono? But she is still alive. They only made 45 episodes for some reason, there were 7 novels, and the series is complete if you can read Japanese. Rumor has it that the TV writer and artists got sick, and they were planning to finish at 60 episodes.
Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #1690 on: February 25, 2013, 04:15:33 PM

Thanks for the Moribito recommendation, just finished marathoning it over three days.

Nice Grin

This series was actually based on a book series in Japan, and the anime was depicting the first of 9 books. The first two books have been translated in English.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1691 on: February 26, 2013, 06:21:42 AM

Fuyumi Ono? But she is still alive. They only made 45 episodes for some reason, there were 7 novels, and the series is complete if you can read Japanese. Rumor has it that the TV writer and artists got sick, and they were planning to finish at 60 episodes.

I must have mixed it with some other anime (but I can't think which it could be, first thought Guin Saga but it wasn't that)

edit:and yes, there was never an official reason for the cancellation (afaik)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:24:27 AM by satael »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1692 on: March 31, 2013, 05:29:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwUlpqD_NH4

One week.

(Yeah, I know it's out on BluRay already. Hush).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1693 on: April 01, 2013, 05:21:36 AM

Oh man, that looks beautiful!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1694 on: April 27, 2013, 10:56:37 PM

So, Evangelion 3.0 is out on Bluray (in Japan) now; just watched it. Woah, they've deviated really far from the show now. Anyone else (Simond I'm looking at you) seen it yet?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1695 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:32 AM

Shit, I haven't even seen the 2.0 yet.  What are they doing with 3.0?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1696 on: April 29, 2013, 05:37:06 AM

Man it'd be cool if they found something better to remake/reboot than Evangelion.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1697 on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:28 PM

Shit, I haven't even seen the 2.0 yet.  What are they doing with 3.0?
2.0 follows the show sort of still. 3.0 is entirely new stuff, albeit with similar character interactions to the show. I can't elaborate more without spoiling things.

Man it'd be cool if they found something better to remake/reboot than Evangelion.
Blasphemy! Also if you mean GAINAX, which of their other series would you prefer them remake? If you mean the anime industry in general, a lot of things have gotten remakes in the past few years. Berserk is the most recent one getting the treatment, but Hellsing and FMA both come to mind as well.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1698 on: April 29, 2013, 12:35:42 PM

Blasphemy! Also if you mean GAINAX, which of their other series would you prefer them remake? If you mean the anime industry in general, a lot of things have gotten remakes in the past few years. Berserk is the most recent one getting the treatment, but Hellsing and FMA both come to mind as well.
FLCL?

Bokurano is better than Evangelion and I didn't even like Bokurano that much.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1699 on: April 29, 2013, 01:42:28 PM

I think FLCL's animation still holds up pretty well these days.

I'm a bit of a neckbeard when it comes to Eva so I'll just agree to disagree.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1700 on: April 29, 2013, 01:45:32 PM

I'd like a new Outlaw Star.  Gundam 08th MS Team was also one of my favs.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1701 on: April 29, 2013, 02:14:26 PM

Gundam 08th MS team without the stupid ending (actually, cut the dumb love interest girl out completely) would be cool. Or Stardust Memories.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1702 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:31 PM

Though Stardust Memories is a favorite of mine, I think War in the Pocket does the best job of summing up the traditional themes of UC Gundam; your leaders suck, no one wins, and nobility is futile. (But I'm a negative person...)

I would love more Outlaw Star. As I hear it, Mitsuru Hongo has long wanted to make more.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1703 on: April 29, 2013, 06:51:27 PM

It's been a few years since I've had a new Macross to fap over, get on that Japan.

I could also do with a third season of Birdy the Mighty: Decode (these fucking names).

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1704 on: May 01, 2013, 05:49:53 PM

I'm almost done with Dance in the Vampire Bund. Not bad. Some anime tropes that bug me.

I lurk in this thread because I'm kinda burned out on anime. I used to have a pretty good tolerance for the talky talky TALK TALK TALK stuff, but much less nowadays.
Is it translation or do the japanese just love to overexplain every damn thing?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1705 on: May 01, 2013, 05:54:03 PM

A lot of it is translation, where the people making the subs are doing literal translations, instead of INTENT translations.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1706 on: May 02, 2013, 10:44:32 AM

I'm almost done with Dance in the Vampire Bund. Not bad. Some anime tropes that bug me.

I lurk in this thread because I'm kinda burned out on anime. I used to have a pretty good tolerance for the talky talky TALK TALK TALK stuff, but much less nowadays.
That bugs you but the pre-teen looking vampire who is naked or topless in a thong quite a lot didn't? It's okay guys, she's really hundreds of years old!

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1707 on: May 02, 2013, 03:51:57 PM

That bugs you but the pre-teen looking vampire who is naked or topless in a thong quite a lot didn't? It's okay guys, she's really hundreds of years old!

Nope. It's meant to be creepy. She seems to be a Claudia analog, which is an interesting vampire idea. She's immortal but stuck in a child's body.That kind of thing has got to fuck with a person's head.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:01:56 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1708 on: May 02, 2013, 06:20:14 PM

But she has a transformation form that is the typical giant-titty female vampire monster. And there is literally a scene in the manga at least where the few remaining pure vampires that want to impregnate her (The princess is literally the last pure female vamp left) are so annoyed at her flexing her political power they decide to humiliate her by demanding her virginity checked, so she basically has to get a pelvic exam in front of creepy old monsters.

Did I mention she looks like she's 12?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1709 on: May 02, 2013, 07:09:08 PM

But she has a transformation form that is the typical giant-titty female vampire monster. And there is literally a scene in the manga at least where the few remaining pure vampires that want to impregnate her (The princess is literally the last pure female vamp left) are so annoyed at her flexing her political power they decide to humiliate her by demanding her virginity checked, so she basically has to get a pelvic exam in front of creepy old monsters.

And her child body is very unsexualized. They could have gone for a 12 year old head with a barbie body, like a lot of other anime, but they show her with proper child proportions.

They did get to that point in the anime that you're talking about from the manga. Did you read it?

I think so. I dunno what you're on about. So far everything with Mina is properly creepy from a storytelling angle. It's not like they made a romcom out of it.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1710 on: May 02, 2013, 07:11:41 PM

this guy looks legit It appears I've not watched those. Thank you. Thank you, all.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1711 on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:12 PM

And her child body is very unsexualized. They could have gone for a 12 year old head with a barbie body, like a lot of other anime, but they show her with proper child proportions.

They did get to that point in the anime that you're talking about from the manga. Did you read it?

I think so. I dunno what you're on about. So far everything with Mina is properly creepy from a storytelling angle. It's not like they made a romcom out of it.
I'm saying the manga has a lot of creepy as fuck pedobait at times, to the point it's barely a notch or two above Kodomo No Jikan/Lotte No Omocha.

I made it to some of the later chapters, then dropped it for a while, then tried re-reading from the start and I got skeeved out and dropped it for good. It gets a lot more action oriented later thankfully but if you don't think they sexualize the hell out of Mina did you even look at the first chapter?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dance-in-the-Vampire-Bund/Dance-in-the-Vampire-Bund-1?id=11708 (NWS)

Please non-sexually rub the bab~..."sunlight blocking oil" all over me onee-chan, ~uguuuu~.

I never saw the anime though; they more than likely had to tone it down significantly...which ironically would do the story a lot of service.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1712 on: May 02, 2013, 10:56:50 PM

I never saw the anime though; they more than likely had to tone it down significantly...which ironically would do the story a lot of service.

I imagine they do. The sunblock scene is in there, but it doesn't linger too long, like in the manga bit you linked. They do run the concept of Mina taunting Akira with her body a few times. But then her character runs from ditzy to cruel pretty often, and she does a lot of creepy stuff. Like when she gets jealous over Yuki and Akira. That scene was pretty cool.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It's uncomfortable stuff, to be sure, but I'm not whacking off to Mina over here.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1713 on: May 03, 2013, 12:23:31 AM

they more than likely had to tone it down significantly...which ironically would do the story a lot of service.

I read the link and was like  DRILLING AND MANLINESS, and then I was like  ACK!.

They had an interesting concept, an entertaining male lead, and a female lead with blue and orange morality, but then shit it up by making her pedophile bait. Jesus.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1714 on: May 03, 2013, 01:03:49 AM

Well, I finished the anime. There's a big thread left dangling.

Urgh. I may have to read the manga, if it answers those questions. Maybe just the final volume.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: