Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Reactivation weekend from Oct 7 to Oct 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reactivation weekend from Oct 7 to Oct 10  (Read 14763 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

on: October 08, 2010, 06:36:40 AM

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/news_archive/reactivation_weekend_featuring.html
It's time for another City of Heroes® Reactivation Weekend and this one is going to be better than ever! Why, you ask? Because old and new players alike will get a preview of the new content in City of Heroes Going Rogue™! For everyone's gaming pleasure, Praetoria will be accessible to ALL accounts in good standing whether they are brand new, have been reactivated or have remained active!

If you've let your City of Heroes account lapse, but would like to see what Going Rogue is like, we will reactivate your account for FREE. Because there is so much new content to explore, you're getting almost FIVE full days to experience it all!

Active and reactivated account holders will be able to try out our newest and most visually captivating power sets* while discovering a brand new parallel world and the intestine struggle ripping apart its denizens behind those sterile Praetorian walls**!

The Reactivation Weekend starts on Thursday, October 7th at 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time / 10:00 a.m. Central Time / 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time / 4:00 p.m. British Time / 17:00 Central European Time and ends on Sunday, October 10th, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time / 1:59 a.m. Central Time / 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time / 7:59 a.m. British Time / 8:59 Central European Time.

There is no better time to come back to City of Heroes and say hi to your friends! Who knows, you may even make new ones in Praetoria!

So mark your calendars and get ready to go Rogue!

* To continue using the Dual Pistols, Demon Summoning, Kinetic Melee and Electric Control power sets after the Reactivation weekend, you will need to upgrade your City of Heroes game account with a valid Going Rogue code.

** Please note all active or reactivated accounts that will be granted temporary access to Going Rogue will only have access to the Praetorian content up to level 14.

Looks like they're not only activating all accounts, but also giving them temporary access to Praetorian content [if in a limited way]. Not a bad move IMO, Praetoria is pretty well done both artistically and in terms of story. It's definitely an unforgiving area though -- most of the Praetorian enemy groups are MUCH harder than the equivalent-level hero / villain groups in "vanilla" coh/cov.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:49:23 AM

I honestly through Praetoria was pretty easy; I went through it all as a brute with little difficulty, only to get wtfpwnt in the real game by CoT at level 21.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:59:58 AM

My mastermind didn't have any problems either... but keep in mind that brutes and masterminds are two of the best solo classes. Squishies like blasters can easily faceplant against the multi-ambushes in some missions, wacky ghoul aggro, and hard-hitting CC-resistant enemies (destroyers especially). They're not -really- harder than many of the later-game enemy groups, but much nastier than the typical low-level enemies (skulls, hellions, infected, snakes, RIP, security guards, heck even longbow and council at that level).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:01:40 AM by Zetor »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:19:40 PM

It also depends on which arcs you're going through, it seems to me. The Warden arcs have kicked my scrapper's ass big time (he might also just sort of suck, I'm not sure), but I haven't had a lot of trouble with the Responsibility track on my lame elec/elec tanker.

CoT are fucking evil at level 20-ish though, I also sailed through Praetoria on a brute and promptly got my ass kicked by those fuckers.

God Save the Horn Players
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:45:46 AM

Brutes in particular are OP at low levels because fury is balanced around having SOs, and before then full fury triples your damage instead of doubling it. I once calculated that a brute could hit 50 in 30 hours (give or take 3) by staying exemped to level 1 the whole time in AE. That was before the I18 fury nerf, though.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 04:33:03 PM

I like my brute mostly because her name amuses me. Of course, that is the case for almost all my heroes.

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:51:12 AM

My e-mail for this arrived this morning!

Played a little, but didn't have much time this weekend.  None of the outdoor missions showed for me in Praetoria.  Trying to figure out where to go for the "Use the map to locate the glowies" tutorial mission was counter-productive.

Being 525 days since I last played, and that for another free weekend I was busy with, I realized I'm close to being gone long enough that a might manage to play through part of a month, so it might be time to sub again.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:56:30 PM

Heh... I *just* got my email a few minutes ago.  Great timing on the promotion.   swamp poop
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:20:59 AM

I find myself going back for free weekends and events and saying "why did I ever leave this game?".  Two days later, I realize why.

I love what the game is trying to do.  Somehow, it just lacks a layer of something. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:00:54 AM

I'm the opposite.  I returned after playing Champions, incorrectly remembering CoX as having a better/more responsive engine and control scheme.  What I was actually remembering was that /stick and /face made it feel like CoX had a more responsive control scheme.  Since my muscle memory was gone for /stick and /face, I floundered quite a bit and was wondering why I returned.

Spent a bit more time with lairs, fooled around with invention, started to feel like if I could talk friends into playing that I might get a month or two more fun.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:16:57 AM

I'm with Nebu. I like lots of things about the combat, sidekicking/mentoring, and love the customization to death (power customization is AWESOME), but when I went back a month ago and bought Going Rogue, I didn't even stick with it the whole 30 free days. There just isn't a lot to do besides "grind missions". I did a bit of crafting, played the AH minigame a bit and made more money than I knew what to do with, but even with all that cash all I could do was buy full SOs or IOs.

Personal Bases would be a step in the right direction, along with personal-base-items that we can raid each other for. Account-wide unlockable costume pieces would be another. A more fleshed out raiding or PVP scene would help too.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 09:06:33 AM

Yeah, COH definitely needs some help in those areas... especially pvp, which is just terrible atm. I don't think the loot system really needs any more changes, I like it a lot better than CO's "wow-like" system. YMMV.

Time for a personal axe-grind session... rant alert! Mission Architect (as a really unique feature among 'AAA MMOGs'... yes, I know about Ryzom and SWG) really needs to be marketed and implemented better. It basically allows players to create content and is held in check by a rating system -- only it's almost impossible to actually find that content due to the interface's (and the system's, in a lesser way) limitations.

There are over a hundred really awesome arcs in the MA that barely anyone plays (as in "not receive a single play over 9 months") simply because they don't have a 5-star average, while random farming missions take up a good portion of the first few pages of search results. Overall, MA could become awesome with a few added features (most of those could be "lifted over" from the new functionality in Going Rogue missions even) and really help with increasing the diversity / quantity of content -- in effect making players not get bored as easily.

But nooo, the devs are content to let AE just fall by the wayside. Stuff like the AE challenges (there's one going on right now, I have an entry submitted as well) help a bit, but they aren't the right answer to the problem. Ah well. /rant off

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:05 AM

Seems like they could fix a lot of that by allowing the architect to categorize the arch as "for xp" or "for story" (along with other categories).  And then allow you to search for by-story.  That might seem like it was the developer supporting farming though.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 06:47:03 PM

After following CoH/V for nearly 10 years and playing for 6, I'm done. Not really the game's fault - hell, it kept me for 6 years! - but if GoRo was the big showcase of how all those extra resources are helping drive the game forward, the future ain't so bright for this title. I expect to see sub numbers continue to slide down (although there will be the GoRo revenue bump).

The layoffs don't indicate a bright future either.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 10:52:14 AM

Been playing a new character through Praetoria every few days with the free month from buying Going Rogue.  It's just as fun as it ever was...  The problem is that it still seems to be the same old game from 6 years ago, just polished to a shine that makes my 4870 scream like a banshee.  And I still hate teleport...

It's not a bad game, and one of the MMOGs I look back on most fondly overall, but I doubt I'll put any money in when the free time runs out.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Reactivation weekend from Oct 7 to Oct 10  
Jump to: