Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340913 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: April 27, 2011, 10:43:57 AM

Oh lol, that one guy is at it again on RPS.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #281 on: April 29, 2011, 07:00:13 PM

Torchlight has been a bit crashy lately, wondering if it's me or what.  So ready for the sequel.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #282 on: May 01, 2011, 12:10:02 AM

Portal 2 is Amazon's Deal of the Day.  $35 for PS3/360, $30 for PC.

They've also got Mortal Kombat down to $39.99 now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:17:43 AM by Velorath »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #283 on: May 02, 2011, 12:40:34 PM

I fired up Dead Space today (PC) and remembered how much the mousing in menus sucks.  I mean, it's maddening and I can generally put up with some shit-ass-crap control schemes.  I'm thinking abut what my options are.  There is the obvious copout of purchasing it on a console, but that's sending the wrong message and would also make my ass pucker due to buying a game twice again.  Maybe there are some modifications I can do to the PC versions.  All I know is that I want to play it now and I don't have much time to waste on making it tolerable.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #284 on: May 02, 2011, 12:44:46 PM

Sounds what I had to put up with playing Alpha Protocol.  Extensive UI tweaking made it tollerable. Barely.

-Rasix
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:31 PM

I fired up Dead Space today (PC) and remembered how much the mousing in menus sucks.  I mean, it's maddening and I can generally put up with some shit-ass-crap control schemes.  I'm thinking abut what my options are.  There is the obvious copout of purchasing it on a console, but that's sending the wrong message and would also make my ass pucker due to buying a game twice again.  Maybe there are some modifications I can do to the PC versions.  All I know is that I want to play it now and I don't have much time to waste on making it tolerable.

Just started playing through it myself, and found the same thing at first.  But all the menus are navigable with the arrow keys as well (options, inventory, map, everything), as far as I've found, which solves the problem for me.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: May 02, 2011, 04:09:50 PM

Anyone heard anything about Brink?  It looked pretty generic to me but then I heard the people who made Enemy Territory are making it and that piqued my interest.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #287 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:25 PM

Bought DA:O Ultimate edition today for $20 since it came with that (still) pricey expansion and DLC. Unfortunately, the expansion is not some sort of separate install - I was hoping to have a DA:O copy to gift.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Though, I'm hoping my saves will be transferable. I'm guessing I'll have to do that manually.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #288 on: May 03, 2011, 06:15:39 AM

There is the obvious copout of purchasing it on a console, but that's sending the wrong message and would also make my ass pucker due to buying a game twice again.  Maybe there are some modifications I can do to the PC versions.  All I know is that I want to play it now and I don't have much time to waste on making it tolerable.
Have you tried using a gamepad? Kinda destroys the mouse for aiming thing the pc has going for it, but at least you wouldn't have to buy it again.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #289 on: May 03, 2011, 08:08:34 AM

There is the obvious copout of purchasing it on a console, but that's sending the wrong message and would also make my ass pucker due to buying a game twice again.  Maybe there are some modifications I can do to the PC versions.  All I know is that I want to play it now and I don't have much time to waste on making it tolerable.
Have you tried using a gamepad? Kinda destroys the mouse for aiming thing the pc has going for it, but at least you wouldn't have to buy it again.

This is Plan C.  Or D, I don't know.  As you say, I bought it on PC so I could aim with the mouse.  This works great, it's the menus that bother me since the mouse pointer code is obviously the same as the thumb stick code.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: May 03, 2011, 12:12:23 PM

Is there an ini file you can tweak?  In the past there have been games with a horribly slow mouse in menus that I could fix by changing a few constants.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: May 03, 2011, 12:24:04 PM

Anyone heard anything about Brink?  It looked pretty generic to me but then I heard the people who made Enemy Territory are making it and that piqued my interest.

I believe that's the shooter that has parkour.  Basically CoD meets Mirror's Edge?   Looked pretty cool when I watched some vids of it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #292 on: May 03, 2011, 12:32:42 PM

Is there an ini file you can tweak?  In the past there have been games with a horribly slow mouse in menus that I could fix by changing a few constants.

It's not that it's slow, it's that it doesn't start moving when I move the mouse and it keeps gliding after I stop the mouse.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: May 03, 2011, 01:37:38 PM

I believe that's the shooter that has parkour.  Basically CoD meets Mirror's Edge?   Looked pretty cool when I watched some vids of it.

Yeah, it sounds pretty neat in theory, but I'm feeling pretty good on shooters.  Maybe I'll just wait to hear some buzz after release.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: May 03, 2011, 03:47:55 PM

It's not that it's slow, it's that it doesn't start moving when I move the mouse and it keeps gliding after I stop the mouse.
Sounds like software mouse.  You need to look for an option to force it to hardware.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: May 03, 2011, 06:52:19 PM

Yeah, it sounds pretty neat in theory, but I'm feeling pretty good on shooters.  Maybe I'll just wait to hear some buzz after release.

If I had to wager it's going to be another PoS forgettable built in mouse acceleration performance issue laden FPS ala bulletstorm, homefront and so on. Petulant dev talk doesn't fill me with much faith either. Would be nice if I was wrong though, haven't had a decent shooter since TF2, BC2 was pretty close though.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: May 03, 2011, 07:02:18 PM

If I had to wager it's going to be another PoS forgettable built in mouse acceleration performance issue laden FPS ala bulletstorm, homefront and so on. Petulant dev talk doesn't fill me with much faith either. Would be nice if I was wrong though, haven't had a decent shooter since TF2, BC2 was pretty close though.

This is the feeling I get looking at it, which is why I dismissed it initially.  In fact, the only thing at all that has me interested in how much I loved Enemy Territory.
Strazos

Reply #297 on: May 03, 2011, 07:33:17 PM

Wolfenstein, or Quake Wars?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: May 03, 2011, 07:40:43 PM

I believe that's the shooter that has parkour.  Basically CoD meets Mirror's Edge?

Don't forget the avatar customization. Which probably doesn't mean much to FPS junkies, but as an MMORPG player, I think it's neat.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Strazos

Reply #299 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:21 PM

Oh, was this the game where the devs weren't going to allow headshot kills because they don't think it's fun for the players or some-such nonsense?

Fear the Backstab!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:06 PM

Wolfenstein, or Quake Wars?

Both, actually.  But I was referring to Wolfenstein as the one I liked a lot.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: May 03, 2011, 08:34:42 PM

Oh, was this the game where the devs weren't going to allow headshot kills because they don't think it's fun for the players or some-such nonsense?

There are a ton of games that take that stance, as far as I know.  Doesn't really seem that strange to me, though I do roll my eyes when they say "no headshots" in a game with dedicated snipers.
Strazos

Reply #302 on: May 03, 2011, 08:55:15 PM

If a game isn't going to have locational damage scaling, that's fine. But if you have a sniper rifle, and award more damage for head shots...but it still takes 3 shots to kill, that seems silly.

EDIT: Also, Wolfenstein: ET was one of my all-time favorite multiplayer shooters of all time. I loved me some recon and...whatever class got to toss around mortar/airstrikes. I might even have some old screenshots of obnoxious scores hanging around.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:57:11 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:55 AM

What drives me nuts is that lots of the European games (Grotesque tactics, Magicka and quite a few others) not only don't respect windows settings for left handed mouse they don't allow you to remap it. Grotesque tactics sort of let me remap it but it didn't actually work.

Brink looked somewhat fun in a borderlands sort of "lots of guns" way and the same Junkyard ambience. How deep it is in practice would be a big question. But at 90 USD$ for Australians they can go f**k themselves.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: May 04, 2011, 05:52:45 AM

I don't think it's going to be that bad because it's at least been mostly touted as a multiplayer game.  A lot of the stuff I saw led me to believe they are still fairly PC centric as well.   That of course doesn't mean it will be any good though.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #305 on: May 04, 2011, 01:18:35 PM

I also had the mouse control issue in dead space one. It's caused from not being able to turn off vsync. I managed to make it tolerable by dropping the res by quite a bit.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: May 04, 2011, 01:28:22 PM

I don't think it's going to be that bad because it's at least been mostly touted as a multiplayer game.  A lot of the stuff I saw led me to believe they are still fairly PC centric as well.   That of course doesn't mean it will be any good though.

What did you see that led you to believe it was going to be PC centric? I remember DICE foaming at the mouth about how they were PC developers first and then I fire up to single player and find the mouse controls nearly unusable, no performance scaling and updates that disappear so that they can "focus on Battlefield 3, this time we're for reals".
Strazos

Reply #307 on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:42 PM

I also had the mouse control issue in dead space one. It's caused from not being able to turn off vsync. I managed to make it tolerable by dropping the res by quite a bit.

It seems that in most of my games now I HAVE to have vsync on or else I get terrible tearing. I haven't really noticed a drop in input response, but it's possible I've just adapted without realizing it.

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #308 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:36 PM

Sounds like software mouse.  You need to look for an option to force it to hardware.

Google says I'm stuck with it.  Google also says "use a gamepad" and I just might do that.

I'm getting the idea that Black Ops is a good game.  Someone tell me that's bullshit.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: May 05, 2011, 05:52:35 PM

Google says I'm stuck with it.  Google also says "use a gamepad" and I just might do that.

I'm getting the idea that Black Ops is a good game.  Someone tell me that's bullshit.

Black Ops is a good multiplayer twitch shooter ala Counter Strike, the single player is trash.  If that sounds up your ally, its a solid choice.  I still get some play out of it when I'm in the mood for a change of pace from Battlefield: BC2.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #310 on: May 05, 2011, 05:55:05 PM

I played CoD4 with some friends and it was fun even though I was the worst one.  Now, however, one of the guys' twelve-year-old son plays and he kicks everyone in the fucking balls.  Damn kids and their reflexes.  So I suppose I'll pass.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: May 07, 2011, 08:25:17 AM

30 minute interview with Gabe Newell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMgfPU9y3yo

What is Valve up to these days?

With the addition of STEAM to the PSN is Valve planning on shifting development focus to consoles or are you going to remain developing games primarily for the PC?

How does Valve plan on differentiating the game from the very popular "League of Legends"?

How do micro transactions affect the future of Valve's business model?

Do you still plan on making single player games? (dispelling a rumor)

Do you ever get a chance to play games for fun anymore? If so, what games are you playing?

Do you plan on deviating from SOURCE or do you plan on indefinitely updating the current engine?

What games in the last decade do you believe have improved the gaming industry?

Will Chell from Portal and Gordon Freeman from HL be meeting?

Why are some of your most famous protagonists silent? How do you feel this affects the games as a whole?

What advice would you give to somebody aspiring to get into the gaming industry?

I read that you collect knives. How many knives do you own? What do you like about them?

What was your favorite game to work on?

Kind of interesting to listen to.  Some of it goes beyond the questions listed here.  Anyway, lots of interesting insight from Gabe on their design process and challenges they face, etc.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #312 on: May 08, 2011, 12:20:28 AM

is there a cliff's notes version in text? I can't be arsed listening to a 30 minute interview.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: May 08, 2011, 07:25:43 AM

What did you see that led you to believe it was going to be PC centric? I remember DICE foaming at the mouth about how they were PC developers first and then I fire up to single player and find the mouse controls nearly unusable, no performance scaling and updates that disappear so that they can "focus on Battlefield 3, this time we're for reals".

No it wasn't anything they claimed.  I can't say as it was anything specific and really it's just a vague hunch after seeing several videos.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:13 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: