Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1341017 times)
lesion

Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 12:50:13 PM

Knoxx has a lot of fun stuff and an actual final boss worth a crap. It also has roads paved with misery. If you can get past minutes of travel time (one waypoint for the entire thing) it's probably the best of the bunch.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 01:43:54 PM

Secret armory was supposed to be decent. Have not heard about the claptrap one. Zombies and the arenas one you can skip.

funcro
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 03:18:13 PM

Borderlands DLC adds SecuROM and a five installation limit.  On Steam I can't find a way to install Borderlands without also installing all the DLC I purchased, so now I can't even play the base game anymore.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 01:52:27 AM

I bought the Borderlands DLC when it was on sale on Steam a short while back, but I was playing other stuff at the time.  Then I loaded it up again and had a lot of problems crashing (I had upgraded a few components of my PC since the last time I played).  After I got all that worked out, I hopped onto my lv. 45 character in the middle of the 2nd playthrough and couldn't remember what I was doing or where everything was since I hadn't played in months, and didn't know where to go for all the new content.  I fully intend to get around to it at some point.

I am not to be trusted to comment since I liked Too Human.

Hey, same here.  I'm a little disappointed it doesn't seem like they're making a sequel.  I think with a few minor tweaks, and if they hired some decent people to work on the story, they might have had something.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:54:35 AM by Velorath »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 02:54:42 AM

This is random, but does anyone know anything about Borderlands DLC?  I haven't bought any of it, and I'm gonna wait for a Steam sale (I know there was one recently, so it might be a while) either way, but I just reinstalled the game on a lark and am having fun with it again, so was wondering if any of the DLC adds a lot.
I've played through the first three (well I haven't really finished the 2nd one yet).

In terms of gameplay I liked The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned the best. Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot I used mostly just for the bank slots, though hacking your character with an editor is actually easier and more efficient than traveling back and forth to the bank. The Secret Armory of General Knoxx has the best loot but is fundamentally broken unless you can put in long play time sessions because there's only one respawn spot and travel distances are extremely long and tedious. Island of Dr. Ned actually has the same single respawn spot issue (apparently it's a limitation with the DLC code on the consoles) but it has a proper "hub and spoke" design with much shorter travel distances.

Both Island and Riot have seriously fucked up copy protection schemes. It literally took me hours to figure out how to get those two DLCs installed properly. Armory does not have that issue.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 06:26:11 AM

Ned has a really amusing story, plus with it being near Halloween again feels seasonally appropriate.  The hordes of zombies you can face gets pretty fun.  Moxi's is only good if you liked the arena challenge later in the first game, really need the extra skill points, or you like absolutely insane pretty women with questionable fashion sense.  In Knoxx the travel sucks as everyone mentioned, but the shooting and critters are fun, and it ties in with the original pretty well.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 01:36:35 PM

Basically, what everyone else has said about Borderlands. Zombie Island is a must have. Dead Haven and the end area are just too cool for words, if you're in a zombie-shooting state of mind. Knoxx is good, but the travel is kinda of a pain. I'm sorta used to to from doing Armory runs. The Crimson Lance arena is huge fun for a group, and the so-called optional boss is  ACK!. I haven't done much with the Robolution. Waiting for the new level cap and rebalancing before I tackle that one. I'd take a pass on Moxxi's unless you simply must have the bank or the 2 extra talent points (good luck on that second point...).
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:08 PM

Looks like Gran Turismo 5 got delayed again.   Heartbreak

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 01:43:58 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 07:08:30 AM

This is actually OK.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 07:14:11 AM

Not like I had time to play this anyway until later.  Anyway, meh.  GT5 has taken so long to come out, I've sorta lost interest.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 07:22:14 PM

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 07:34:56 PM

So there's a GOTY edition of Borderlands that comes with a bonus offer. The bonus?

Maybe it's just me, but I giggled thinking about how sad the empty promises from companies can really get.

In other news, dude runs sugar-momma of a girlfriend off the road when she takes away his Playstation.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 06:38:34 AM

If you bought Borderlands on Steam and look on the DLC tab, you already have that access.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 06:51:29 AM

I heard the team (100+ people??) that was doing Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned was let go and the game is canned.  The premise of the game looked awesome and some of the screenies looked downright beautiful.  I was actually looking forward to seeing how that one did.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 15, 2010, 12:11:34 PM

Looks like Uncharted 2 is having a big multiplayer bonus day tomorrow.  x5 xp and a bonus skin.  Seems to be odd timing since the game of the year edition doesn't come out until next week. 

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_2_one_year_anniversary_event_details/
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #51 on: October 15, 2010, 12:52:19 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 08:42:34 AM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 20, 2010, 12:54:28 AM

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #54 on: October 20, 2010, 09:57:19 AM

Bloodline Champions Closed Beta Event

Fileplanet are giving away a limited amount of keys to the closed beta of Bloodline Champions (by Stunlock Studios, published by Funcom) today, though it does seem as if it currently requires a Fileplanet subscription to get a key...

Edit: Apparently non-subscribers will get access to keys later today.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:49:35 AM by Xuri »

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:18 AM

The Castlevania HD DLC is out, somehow I missed the drop-day.  I put 23 minutes into it today.  It's basically 400 points for Chapter 7: a new Egyptian map/boss and a new enemy (mummy).  Perhaps new items as well, I got two skull masks where before I had none, and one or two weapons I didn't have, but I haven't gotten TOO far into the grind on it.  For you Soma players, there are also quite a few Yoricks.  Lack of a new character is disappointing to some who were expecting it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 12:03:20 PM

This is random, but does anyone know anything about Borderlands DLC?  I haven't bought any of it, and I'm gonna wait for a Steam sale (I know there was one recently, so it might be a while) either way, but I just reinstalled the game on a lark and am having fun with it again, so was wondering if any of the DLC adds a lot.
I've played through the first three (well I haven't really finished the 2nd one yet).

In terms of gameplay I liked The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned the best. Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot I used mostly just for the bank slots, though hacking your character with an editor is actually easier and more efficient than traveling back and forth to the bank. The Secret Armory of General Knoxx has the best loot but is fundamentally broken unless you can put in long play time sessions because there's only one respawn spot and travel distances are extremely long and tedious. Island of Dr. Ned actually has the same single respawn spot issue (apparently it's a limitation with the DLC code on the consoles) but it has a proper "hub and spoke" design with much shorter travel distances.

Both Island and Riot have seriously fucked up copy protection schemes. It literally took me hours to figure out how to get those two DLCs installed properly. Armory does not have that issue.

Just to report back on this:

A friend of mine bought Borderlands so we've been playing together.  He wanted bank slots badly, so we both got Mad Moxxi's and haven't had any trouble with it really.  Going through the loading screen to get to the bank isn't really a big deal, and there are fast travel hubs to get there all over the place, so it hasn't been a problem.  I also don't know about the copy protection, but we got our copies on steam and it installed and has had 0 issues.  I'm actually pretty pleased with it thus far.

We plan on picking up the other DLC as we feel compelled (probably after our first playthrough of the normal game). 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 12:36:53 PM

My problem with Moxi's is I always die on the Wave 5 final boss when it has a sliver of health left.  And if you're alone, that's it.  I also forget guns spawn after boss kills in the middle.  It gets really discouraging.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 12:56:14 PM

I read the descriptions on the Borderlands DLC and it sounds as if one of them is some arena style multiplayer content.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 01:52:35 PM

I like the rumor that its pushed out due to the firmware fisaco so they had to build against 3.50 and remaster everything. Seems pretty sound
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 03:49:52 PM

I read the descriptions on the Borderlands DLC and it sounds as if one of them is some arena style multiplayer content.
Moxxi's Underdome Riot.  It's co-op multi-player, just like the rest of the game.  Waves of semi-random enemies, with random effects for each round (pistols do more damage, everything else less; mobs have increased shield regen; reduced accuracy; etc.).  Beat 25 total waves in each of three arenas and get a skill point.  Also bank slots.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 22, 2010, 07:26:46 PM

Costume Quest is absurdly cute and a lot of fun.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #62 on: October 22, 2010, 08:50:49 PM

I'll be on Fable 3 like stink on shit. 

Like Molyneaux' promises, than?

With all these HD remakes, has there been any mention of either a Jak or Ratchet HD collection for PS3?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55:25 PM

I liked the Zombie Island. Mad Moxxi is just arena battles - fun if you have a co-op partner and can get it discounted on XBL or Steam or whatever. General Knoxx seems a bit more hefty, but every quest seems to involve you physically driving for 15 minutes to get to the quest location to start up. Haven't tried the Claptrap Red Uprising one, though.

GOTY pack is all over the place. Might be cheaper than buying all the DLC, depending on where you look?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 08:56:41 PM

Borderlands DLC adds SecuROM and a five installation limit.  On Steam I can't find a way to install Borderlands without also installing all the DLC I purchased, so now I can't even play the base game anymore.

I did not know that. Good job I bought the DLC and installed it, then. ;p

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 25, 2010, 01:52:10 AM

Random thing I learned during Blizzcon line-waiting activity: The 3rd Professor Layton game has really great music. It reminds me a lot of the music from the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes TV show (I suspect that is deliberate.)

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:52 AM

With all these HD remakes, has there been any mention of either a Jak or Ratchet HD collection for PS3?

Molyneaux over promises?  Sure.  But Fable II was still actually pretty good.  Black and White was actually kinda fun.  Etc... etc...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 25, 2010, 06:39:16 AM

Molyneaux over promises?  Sure.  But Fable II was still actually pretty good.  Black and White was actually kinda fun.  Etc... etc...

Being disappointed by all the promises assumes that I listen to them in the first place.  I really lliked Fable 2, and have no reason to think that I won't like 3 just as much.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 25, 2010, 07:43:00 AM

Being disappointed by all the promises assumes that I listen to them in the first place. 

As an aside, I think this is one of the keys to enjoying games - not expecting much.  One of the reasons I've been liking Civ 5 while a lot of people here have been complaining is because I really just knew hexed based, 1 unit per tile, and what civs they were adding.   Enjoying it quite a bunch.

Similarly, the list of games that I've disliked that were actually decent games, simply because they didn't live up to my imaginary version of what the game should be is growing insanely long now.

Granted, promised features are promised features, I suppose its fair to have expectations based on them ,but that isn't really my point here.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #69 on: October 25, 2010, 09:28:44 AM

My lack of enjoyment in Civ V has nothing to do with pre-launch hype. It's that while adding lots of cool stuff, the game has been getting steadily less enjoyable with each iteration. I'd say that it's the vaseline lens of time, but then Kael showed up and showed everyone how much fun the game could be. Firaxis not snapping him up is a tragic loss.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: