Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340813 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5005 on: July 12, 2020, 12:35:09 PM

Watch Dogs 2 for PC will be given away for free during the Ubisoft Forward stream July 12th for those with Uplay accounts.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/41nS5f7EjNSB9Hi7CwSuVz/ubisoft-forward-everything-you-need-to-know

In "no suprise" news, the login servers shit the bed and nobody can get the game or the special AC:Valhalla items for being logged in and watching the video.

EDIT: Apparently they're giving all rewards to all accounts or something.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:49:49 PM by Hawkbit »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5006 on: July 13, 2020, 06:30:07 AM

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:51:13 AM by Sky »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5007 on: July 15, 2020, 10:58:12 AM

Wrong post

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5008 on: July 15, 2020, 12:47:39 PM

Ghost of Tsushima is rating pretty decently overall so far - seems a bit derivative akin to Assassin's Creed: Japan, but overall good/great. It's on a short list of games I've been looking forward to, so probably going to snag it tomorrow night.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5009 on: July 15, 2020, 01:08:23 PM

It's a Sucker Punch game. Sounds like other Sucker Punch games, but with samurai that dabble in ninja. I'm sold. I thought the Infamous games were a lot of fun if a bit repetitive at times.

Giant Bomb seemed a bit mixed on it, but they kind of just sounded like old cranky assholes while talking about it. ACG loved it and seemed to play a lot of it due to review copies going out very early (which is odd considering the most anyone on Giant Bomb played seemed to be around 8 hours). Reviews seem similar to what all of their other games get. Opinions on the combat seem to be all over the place.

I'll probably buy this and put off getting TLOU2 for another day. I'm not quite ready to be horribly depressed due to a video game yet. I need a game with some visceral action, because PoE and Persona 5R don't really provide that fix.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:10:30 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5010 on: July 15, 2020, 01:20:17 PM

Sounds like a solid "8" game. Combat is good, art direction is amazing, story/dialog is meh, open world is so-so. I might wait, though, to play on PS5.
Rasix

Reply #5011 on: July 15, 2020, 01:36:40 PM

If I had an confidence that I'll be able to convince my wife within a year of PS5 release, sure. If we're still in quarantine, the probability rises.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5012 on: July 16, 2020, 07:07:19 AM

I was watching the Digital Foundry review (which tends to be more about the engine) and kept getting annoyed about how bad the particles looked. They were clearly not being rendered in the same lighting and disappearing randomly right in front of you. For snow, I could kinda see that working, but for leaves it's a little thing that is really jarring to me.

Also, apparently trees in Japan have a billion leaves.

Leaves. So many leaves. A leaf-based economy in full inflation meltdown.

Gameplay look ok, but the main thing that appealed to me was the flute. So I'll be holding off on it until PS5.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5013 on: July 16, 2020, 10:03:29 PM

I have enjoyed the first hour so far. I should have waited for PS5 only because it makes my PS4 non-pro sound like a jet engine. I'm going to have to find a way to cool it or something.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5014 on: July 17, 2020, 08:11:40 AM

It's a Sucker Punch game. Sounds like other Sucker Punch games, but with samurai that dabble in ninja. I'm sold. I thought the Infamous games were a lot of fun if a bit repetitive at times.

Giant Bomb seemed a bit mixed on it, but they kind of just sounded like old cranky assholes while talking about it. ACG loved it and seemed to play a lot of it due to review copies going out very early (which is odd considering the most anyone on Giant Bomb played seemed to be around 8 hours). Reviews seem similar to what all of their other games get. Opinions on the combat seem to be all over the place.

I'll probably buy this and put off getting TLOU2 for another day. I'm not quite ready to be horribly depressed due to a video game yet. I need a game with some visceral action, because PoE and Persona 5R don't really provide that fix.

The guys on the Bombcast and the Beastcast have compared it to the earlier Assassin's Creed games as far as the open world stuff goes. I used to love those games, but don't think I'm interested in going back to that sort of thing now. If there's some sort of PSN holiday sale around the time the PS5 drops (depending on how much one of those will cost), that might be the scenario where it give it a chance.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5015 on: July 20, 2020, 09:43:55 AM

Atlus just announced that Shin Megami Tensei 5 will be out in 2021 with a new trailer. Finally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbmYfsrGfU

But what's MORE important is that they announced the HD version of Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne for Switch and PS4! This is the second best piece of gaming news I've ever heard after the remake of Demon's Souls. And it's pretty much up there.

Here's a trailer for SMT3 too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f82xMoxZmFM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5016 on: August 13, 2020, 10:41:33 AM

Total War fans, mark August 13th on your calendars. SEGA is giving away the upcoming Total War: Troy FOR FREE! for the first 24 hours of the game's release.

Oh, and the giveaway is on the Epic Store and the game will be an exclusive there for the first year...
For free today on the Epic Game store.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5017 on: August 14, 2020, 07:34:53 AM

Sounds like a solid "8" game. Combat is good, art direction is amazing, story/dialog is meh, open world is so-so. I might wait, though, to play on PS5.

I like it a lot, but then I haven't played any of the Assassins Creed or Infamous games so the gameplay isn't quite so derivative for me.

That said, play it in Kurosawa mode with the Japanese dialogue. It's awesome.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5018 on: August 19, 2020, 09:26:26 PM

Just read a glowing review of Half Life: Alyx on Steam, which ended "looking forward to the next instalment in 2050" and I laughed.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5019 on: August 20, 2020, 10:07:29 PM

https://twitter.com/jeff_tanton/status/1296494780998922240?s=21

A great breakdown of the pitch and build for Fall Guys, which happens to be kinda fun for 20min a night.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5020 on: August 21, 2020, 05:13:17 AM

https://twitter.com/jeff_tanton/status/1296494780998922240?s=21

A great breakdown of the pitch and build for Fall Guys, which happens to be kinda fun for 20min a night.

Played this for half a round and deleted off my PS4. Worse than games on my iPhone. My opinion obviously.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5021 on: August 22, 2020, 03:08:45 PM

Amazon's New World is having a stress test event next Tuesday. Invites went out. Check your spam folders.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #5022 on: August 23, 2020, 07:02:53 AM

I'm sure my invite will arrive just like last time, halfway through the test, so not even time to download it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5023 on: August 28, 2020, 05:22:27 PM

Wasteòand 3 is out and it is AMAZING.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5024 on: August 28, 2020, 08:04:19 PM

Is the writing less juvenile than Wasteland 2? It really felt like a bunch of 16-year olds trying to do Fallout in Wasteland 2.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5025 on: August 28, 2020, 11:03:43 PM

You do know that Fallout 1 was actually the original Wasteland 2 but it got a new name due to rights restrictions, right? I understand Wasteland 2's writing didn't work for you but it's not trying to be Fallout, it IS Fallout (it's actually Fallout that it is, indeed, Wasteland).

Anyway, no if you didn't like Wasteland 2 you are probably not gonna like Wasteland 3, even though it seems to have improved over its predecessor in every way.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5026 on: August 29, 2020, 06:17:06 AM

Wasteland 2 is NOT Fallout, ok? Different mechanics and definitely a different sense of character and narrative and dialogue.

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs--I played Wasteland when it first came out and Fallout when it first came out. Wasteland 2 has a genre connection to Fallout and a complicated sideways "cousin" connection due to the intertwining of people involved in both series and a long-ago quasi-corporate connection.

Wasteland the original was indeed the first in some sense in the Fallout *series*. That's Wasteland the original game, not Wasteland 2. And it was called Fallout as you say because they couldn't get the rights to the Wasteland name. Though there was also another sequel to Wasteland that most people didn't play because it was really shitty and nobody involved in making the original Wasteland was involved in it.

Let's go over this again. There was a game a long time ago called Wasteland. It was good. It had a shitty sequel than none of the people who made Wasteland made and a "spiritual sequel" called Fallout that was a *different game* than Wasteland not just in the story and writing but in the game mechanics. This led to a series of games that had their own distinct sense of humor, their own distinctive mechanics, etc.

Then one of the people who'd been involved in the making of the original Wasteland got the rights, many years later, to the Wasteland name and did a crowdfunded *sequel* to Wasteland that was a new game. It was not a renamed Fallout, and frankly it wasn't all that much like the original Wasteland.

That is the game I was referring to, that has writing I didn't care for, that was an original game created in 2013.

You can just say "It's a lot like Wasteland 2, so if you didn't like it, you won't like this."
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5027 on: August 29, 2020, 08:08:45 AM

It might end up being an ok game, but based on my limited experience playing so far the writing and voice acting is fairly poor.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #5028 on: September 02, 2020, 10:06:35 AM

Wasteland 3 is mechanically very to pretty good. It has a log of UI advances that should be in every party based RPG going forward and generally makes combat feel like a thing you make decisions in rather than a slog. The most notable are shared inventory(and no inventory weight) as well as simultaneous enemy turns.

It has a bit of issues with the "well now you're in combat in the open because we kind of forced you into this dialogue and everyone else gets to go first" thing that happens a lot in RPG's. The writing is... not bad. And there are a few nice touches in world building. I have run into a few forced dichotomies so far and there are times when you're not given exits for things you should be given exits for.

The writing is neither subtle nor subdued and runs a bit heavy on the wackiness of the wasteland.

I haven't finished it so, no clue on whether or not you get the obvious catharsis and how things end up in general.
Rasix

Reply #5029 on: September 02, 2020, 10:57:29 AM

It's interesting. Early combat balance is a bit wonky, especially when you take into account what Goum mentions. You can get your team absolutely assblasted during the start of combat if it initiated from dialogue. The tutorial mission was OK, and the encounter at the end was funny when paired with the song choice.

Writing is juvenile and stupid. Voice acting is OK to really awful. There are some voice standouts, especially where they have some fun with it. Advancing dialogue is a bit weird in that you have to click on the speech bubbles. Umm.. maybe there's a less annoying way of doing it, but that seems like an odd choice.

It feels better than 2, it's still ugly, but not quite as bad. I would not pay $60 for this game. I'm playing it on gamepass, so I don't feel bad about it. This is maybe a $40 game at best.

-Rasix
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #5030 on: September 02, 2020, 11:50:17 AM

Not entirely sure where this would go, but is it weird that when I came across my CDs and boxes for old games - Asheron's Call, DAoC, Shadowbane - I'm oddly reluctant to get rid of them?  Other than sentiment, there's no value in keeping this stuff but I find myself not wanting to throw it away.  Nostalgia, perhaps?

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #5031 on: September 02, 2020, 12:53:57 PM

Not entirely sure where this would go, but is it weird that when I came across my CDs and boxes for old games - Asheron's Call, DAoC, Shadowbane - I'm oddly reluctant to get rid of them?  Other than sentiment, there's no value in keeping this stuff but I find myself not wanting to throw it away.  Nostalgia, perhaps?

Might as well own your hobbies and make decorations out of them. Do something to preserve them (frames? shadowboxes?) and slap em proudly on a the wall or shelf!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5032 on: September 02, 2020, 01:01:08 PM

Seems normal to me, I have two CD racks full of old games.  I used to have a whole wall or two of game boxes, but over the course of a few moves it's been whittled down to one moving box with a few of my favorite games (Mechwarrior, Thief, etc.) or impressive boxes (collectors editions and so on).

I dunno, I just don't like throwing away media in general.  Game cartridges, too, I keep, and DVDs and books (so I still have junk I was reading in Elementary school).  Magnetic media tends not to last, though, tossed my floppies years ago and most of my VHS collection due to corruption.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #5033 on: September 02, 2020, 01:19:42 PM

Okay, well nice to know I'm not the only person who does this.  Maybe I'll see if I can fit all the CDs and such for a game into one box and save them that way, rather than multiple boxes of a game.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5034 on: September 02, 2020, 03:25:18 PM

Strange coincidence topic. The wife and I are packing up our place since we are moving in a few weeks and she keeps finding all my old PC games that I have held onto. Saturday she found my original Planetside discs and I sat there stunned at the wave of nostalgia swelling up - that was the first true online game I played and with the same group of guys for 4 straight months before the wheels fell off. Asked if she should pack in in the box or take it with us in the truck... didn't even approach the idea of throwing them out since she remembered me rambling on about the game. She also found my original FFXI and WoW discs.

I like the idea of framing them and hanging them in a gaming room or something. Definitely going to look into it once we get settled.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

Reply #5035 on: September 02, 2020, 03:57:03 PM

Heh, I just threw away all of that garbage. They're probably sitting in a landfill next to my old VHS tapes.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Framing is expensive and garage space is limited. Nostalgia didn't enter much into it.

-Rasix
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5036 on: September 02, 2020, 09:26:00 PM

I've built walls of shelves in my two-car garage (which has never had a car in it), and filled them to overflowing, but am now finally starting to throw stuff away.  I still haven't gotten around to throwing out old computer games yet, though at some point I did toss/lose/destroy a lot of the boxes so a lot of it is stacks and boxes and piles of loose CDs and disks and manuals and maps and junk.  I sadly even still have my Atari 800XL and Atari ST boxed up with a large box of games for each.  I don't think I've even tried to turn either one on this century. :/  I blame my genes. My Grandma was a hoarder and my Father had similar tendencies.  I'm slowly but surely getting better.  And I haven't bought any more physical media in a couple of years, and at most just a couple movies and one music CD in the several years before that.  Small steps rather than twelve steps.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5037 on: September 03, 2020, 05:31:38 AM

I found a big stash of old maps and manuals. I actually rather like having those.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5038 on: September 03, 2020, 06:35:19 AM

I kept a handful of old strategy guides for games I liked, even if I don't have the games anymore.  I find those and the old instruction manuals that are packed with stories and lore much harder to throw away than the games themselves.  I'm looking at a hardcover copy of the Book of Nod that shipped with Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption and it's sad that something like that will likely never happen again.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5039 on: September 03, 2020, 07:36:52 AM

I threw out about half of my old stash of boxes and media a few years ago when I cleaned out the closet they landed in when I moved into my house (since I haven't really bought much physical media other than music since). The rest are ready to go in my current studio reorganization, they were in the back of the closet in there.

I used to feel like there was a reason to keep that kind of stuff back before I had a small house. I do recommend small houses, not just for the low cost of living, but it sharpens the mind and demands you make choices about what you bring into your space.

Books are the hard thing for me. I know I will absolutely need that book on ring making or the one on Victorian fashion. They've both survived multiple purges, which I find entertaining.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: