Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:16:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340879 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4865 on: November 18, 2019, 12:52:02 PM

Weirder is better over here.

Steam tells me there is a Wasteland 3. I thought the consensus was that W2 was awful. Huh

Not on reddit, oddly enough. It seems to be revered. I thought it was a ugly, buggy, poorly designed mess that was made by a den of hacks. I wanted it to be better, and some part of me still thinks I should go back and try to finish it to maybe see if my hatred of nostalgia farming was clouding my judgment.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4866 on: November 18, 2019, 12:52:45 PM

Negative. 2 was very good. It just wasn't Wasteland from 1988.

EDIT: It helps to play the "Director's cut", aka the 80% finished version as opposed to the 55% finished version that was originally released.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:54:28 PM by Falconeer »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4867 on: November 19, 2019, 05:36:49 AM

I thought it sucked. The writing was fucking awful--it felt like a bunch of teenagers made it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4868 on: November 21, 2019, 06:29:03 AM

Got my Stadia yesterday, still no code (though it looks like I should get one by the weekend, according to reddit sleuths). Decided to start setup, it all runs off Google Home, I don't have any Assistant/Alexa/Siri crap in my house, so I'm already ready to return it. When I pre-ordered, it said I could get 1080p with my connection, now it's saying 720p. Also only works on Pixels and ChromeOS devices, though there is a workaround if you run Chrome in desktop mode on your device, sorry iOS users).

1. No codes at launch
2. 720p
3. Intrusive software installs
4. Hardware support limited to Google devices

I imagine they'll sort out device support and obv the codes is a temporary hiccup. But the shitty resolution (same as my 2003 tv) and software installs (really, you NEED location on to set up the Chromecast?) are both deal-breakers.

I knew going in that my connection was pretty iffy for this, but wanted to check it out (and play RDR2 on break at work). I forgot it was Google, so they'd want to digitally jizz all over my devices before allowing me to join in. Setting up the return today.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4869 on: November 21, 2019, 06:39:32 AM

What kind of connection you have again?

I mean, I thought from the beginning that Stadia was essentially DoA, even if it is an interesting stepping stone.  But 720p....that's like back when I had a Voodoo 2 card running things.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4870 on: November 21, 2019, 07:58:31 AM

10Mbps cable, with a couple real streaming hogs on my segment of cable. I can usually stream 4k/5.1 just fine, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue and that the initial test tool's 1080p result was just a conservative estimate. Woops.

I also felt it was DoA but I wanted to check it out anyway. Now I'm interested in which comes through first: my access code or my RMA.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4871 on: November 21, 2019, 09:12:41 AM

Just a reminder that MechWarrior 5 is coming out on December 12th. Unfortunately it's gonna be on Epic Store only. But hey, there's a new trailer. Where the most shocking thing is that after 10 years in the business they still haven't hired anyone at PGI who can make pretty UIs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5FWZYuyeDY

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4872 on: November 21, 2019, 04:23:38 PM

Trailer said Dec 10th.  I R CONFUSED!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4873 on: November 24, 2019, 07:44:28 AM

Troubleshooter.

This game is on sale for another 24 hours on Steam, for 12 € instead of the usual 20. As you can see the ratings are very high (around 91% positive).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW5_C9LIco

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/Troubleshooter/

It is a very good Korean XCom. Everything plays as you'd expect for it to play out of XCom at least for the combat part, but with an extra emphasis on flashy skills and equipment (there is loot, with random stats) due to its anime-like nature and the completely optional multiplayer element. The theme is weaker, it's some mild cyberpunk stuff where you are basically mercenary-cops fighting criminals in future Korea. Tp be fair, it feels much more like an RPG as you have a cast of protagonists instead of infinite random soldiers.

If you like turn-based games of the XCom kind, minus the setting and with a fraction of the production value, this is a lovely surprise.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4874 on: December 03, 2019, 04:25:23 PM

Wildermyth is amazing.

It's an RPG with very light tactical combat on a grid.

What's unique, on top of the beautiful visual style which imitates a boardgame, is the way the stories are told. Your party is created randomly (although you can reroll it as many times as you want) and given a number of semi-secret personality traits. These personality traits contributes to tell the stories of their relationships with each other and with the character they encounter. It is hard to describe what happens and why it is so nice, after all it's all designed to be very quick and very light, but what it achieves is impressive. I don't think I've ever cared so quickly about randomly generated characters with randomly generated personalities. They have dialogues and they are told through vignettes where every single piece of gear you give to your characters or every single disgrace that happens to them (mutilations, sickness) is shown on the figurine.

Too many word to describe a very special little RPG that mixes in an unprecedented way randomly generated content to handcrafted content. In short, the characters are randomly generated, the stories are handcrafted, and the interactions are the result of the combining of these two aspects. It is not a sandbox, and the stories are not infinite so I wouldn't swear on its replayability, but every turn on the strategic map has its own tiny story bit involving your characters and combat doesn't take more than 10 minutes per scenario, so there's a distinct "one more turn" effect.

And then your characters start to grow old and retire or die, and your legacy continues with the next generations, rivalries, and romance. So basically you get some Crusader Kings in this, too.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:27:14 PM by Falconeer »

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #4875 on: December 18, 2019, 09:15:10 PM

Interesting Falc, I generally get far more entertainment out of your rose-tinted view of games than I do from the usually buggy and seriously flawed games themselves, but that actually looks kinda interesting!  How is the tactical combat? I really miss some of the older, not quite so complex turn-based tactical systems like Breach and Paladin and the like from waaay back when.  Or I think I miss them, not sure if they would be as fun today or not! LOL

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4876 on: December 19, 2019, 07:08:00 AM

I'm not a nostalgic person, I like my memories as they are.

But then Tony D turned me onto a new version of Expedition to Barrier Peaks and I found that I'm not entirely without a nostalgia bone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4877 on: January 01, 2020, 09:05:20 PM

steam users gave a plague tale the 'story-rich' award over disco elysium for 2019
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4878 on: January 01, 2020, 10:25:26 PM

Well, DayZ won some kind of award for multi-something, as did GTA 5.  I mean, GTA 5 is actually a great game, but it is also something like 19 years old.  The only thing DayZ ever had going for it was potential.  So it may be that we cannot fully trust the steam awards.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #4879 on: January 01, 2020, 10:57:19 PM

GTA5 won Labor of Love.

Which is horseshit. It's not a labor of love of any sort. It's a labor of profit.

i'm so angry for no reason about the steam awards

anyway disco elysium and slay should've taken every category
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4880 on: January 02, 2020, 09:46:38 AM

Steam has awards?

Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4881 on: January 02, 2020, 11:11:13 AM

I tried to fill out the awards thing and apparently I have no idea and it would be too much work to try and actually figure out a vote for the categories. I gave up on it.

So I think the reporting is skewed to people willing to put up with that kind of thing. And zealots stuffing the box, probably.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4882 on: January 02, 2020, 05:38:21 PM

Hopefully the societal bastion known as industry awards will not suffer from this blemish.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4883 on: January 02, 2020, 10:44:15 PM

More importantly, we need to hold our own awards voting, split by categories and genre, where we can all has out the various pros and cons of each game through 14 pages.  And then Schild can swoop in and unilaterally declare DE the winner of all categories.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #4884 on: January 02, 2020, 11:24:10 PM

More importantly, we need to hold our own awards voting, split by categories and genre, where we can all has out the various pros and cons of each game through 14 pages.  And then Schild can swoop in and unilaterally declare DE the winner of all categories.

That was earlier this year on Discord, by year.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4885 on: January 02, 2020, 11:52:47 PM

Yeah, I know.  Did that include 2019 and DE already?  Whatever.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4886 on: January 03, 2020, 05:09:54 AM

Slay the Spire was declared the 2019 winner before DE came out.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4887 on: January 03, 2020, 06:43:52 AM

Stuffed by zealots and cumbersome voting  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
schild
Administrator

Reply #4888 on: January 03, 2020, 08:50:57 AM

Slay the Spire was declared the 2019 winner before DE came out.

Yeah this was regrettable and wrong. We have fixed the headline, but no one noticed because it was a subtweet.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4889 on: January 04, 2020, 02:33:42 AM

Interesting Falc, I generally get far more entertainment out of your rose-tinted view of games than I do from the usually buggy and seriously flawed games themselves, but that actually looks kinda interesting!  How is the tactical combat? I really miss some of the older, not quite so complex turn-based tactical systems like Breach and Paladin and the like from waaay back when.  Or I think I miss them, not sure if they would be as fun today or not! LOL

The tactical combat seems light but as you point out in a good way. Admittedly, it has to be seen how it ramps up with more skills both for you and the enemies but I am waiting for more content to delve deeper into what I believe is a flat out rose-tinted great game. I'll definitely report back when they'll leave Early Access. This game doesn't win my personal indie Game of the Year award simply because of Disco Elysium but that's how much I like it so far. For what it's worth it, it's one of those 99% positive rating on Steam games.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4890 on: January 08, 2020, 12:27:24 PM

Some pretty interesting ideas chucked around about how SSD might change up stuff at an almost fundamental level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR-uH8vSeBY
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4891 on: January 14, 2020, 12:40:27 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4892 on: January 14, 2020, 12:58:26 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4893 on: January 21, 2020, 08:26:36 AM

Americans probably wouldn't understand, but this is a HUGE deal for European forty-something. Also, Steam, so fuck yeah all the way to Japan and back.

Captain Tsubasa the videogame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=futiptE6BtY

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4894 on: January 22, 2020, 07:11:35 PM

Half-Life games for free for a limited time:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/57848/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4895 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:10 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4896 on: February 11, 2020, 06:20:12 PM

What is that, just video capture from the game reprocessed through tilt-shift?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4897 on: February 12, 2020, 12:23:04 PM

I believe so.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4898 on: February 16, 2020, 07:44:13 AM

Wildermyth is fun, by the way. Thanks for posting about it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4899 on: February 18, 2020, 11:34:55 AM

My pleasure. It's my favourite game of 2019 behind the big three Sekiro, Death Stranding and DISCOELYSIUM.

In other useless news and chatter, the silence about Wolcen here is deafening. I guess everyone is too busy playing it. I resisted as much as I could but no caving in was ever sweeter.

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: