Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1341181 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4760 on: August 30, 2019, 07:59:12 AM

My X-Box Elite Controller recently got stick drift on the left analog stick. Didn't know that they use the same analog sticks as on the basic XBone controllers (which get this all of the time). Quite a bit annoyed now and on the lookout for tips how to repair this since MS apparently doesn't offer a replacement program like NIntendo.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4761 on: August 30, 2019, 08:15:07 AM

That news is actually somewhat useful.

I bought in May 2017 so it was definitely out of warranty. Also, the repair notes stated they couldn't reproduce the reported error but they still replaced anyways.

It should be noted that a class action was filed against Nintendo for the joy con repairs and two days later they put out a small announcement saying they would essentially replace them at no charge. They had to get actively called out on their bullshit before they decided to own it. I'm thinking new President Bowser is like "wtf, Reggie? This is what I walk into?"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4762 on: August 30, 2019, 08:25:41 AM

Not Reggie's fault -- the parent company is the one that's been mum on this whole issue. Nintendo of America on its own has quietly, unofficially*, started replacing them for free.

* There's been no official announcement from any Nintendo, news leaked of an internal memo with the new Nintendo of America policy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4763 on: August 31, 2019, 04:58:59 AM

Since I was duly elected the Digital Gloomhaven monitor, there's a further patch and we now have a combat monitor and a lot more items and cards.

And it's now really quite fun if you like that kind of thing.

Still a limited sandbox to play in, but I can really see the shape of a great game in there.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4764 on: August 31, 2019, 06:52:06 AM

First of all, I did not receive the patch. Weird.

Second, yes it's good. I like it, like the art style and enjoy the crawl but I can see it becoming incredibly dull and tedious without friends. Coop can't come soon enough.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4765 on: August 31, 2019, 07:43:20 AM

Root can't come soon enough.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4766 on: August 31, 2019, 08:08:34 AM

Root? Oh that Armello spoof?

Kidding. I didn't know they were making a digital Root. Very happy about it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4767 on: August 31, 2019, 08:21:39 AM

Wait, is Armello like Root? I have it but never booted it up.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4768 on: August 31, 2019, 12:28:38 PM

Root is a terrible name to google without context. What am I looking for?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4769 on: August 31, 2019, 05:44:46 PM

Wait, is Armello like Root? I have it but never booted it up.

No, no, it's not like Root. The theme and art are vaguely similar and when I first saw Root I thought it was an Armello ripoff, but they are not similar at all. Armello is cute but that's it.

And Yeg, this is Root. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/237182/root

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4770 on: September 04, 2019, 01:24:31 AM

This game's Kickstarter just begun. The demo is available on Steam and I strongly suggest you try it out. Solasta, Crown of the Magister.

It's an isometric RPG made with D&D rules and Dragon Age and XCom vibes. I like the UI for some reason. Worth taking two looks.

Here's some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUMt5xemeI
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:26:27 AM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4771 on: September 06, 2019, 03:02:53 AM

Here's Greedfall launch trailer. Out in a couple of days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS8-Qze0QGU&feature=em-uploademail

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4772 on: September 06, 2019, 06:48:14 AM

I'll play anything that gives me a tricorn.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4773 on: September 06, 2019, 07:01:23 AM

So since my transition into married life, my gaming time was essentially zero. Now it's likely going to go up to 1-2 times a week, and probably for an hour or two at most during those times.

For those of you in similar boats, are there games you're playing currently on Steam or the like that you feel like work well for a limited times per week? Like can you accomplish anything in an hour?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4774 on: September 06, 2019, 07:33:59 AM

Path of Exile. Easy to play in chunks. Or you could choose a different ARPG to scratch that itch.

You could always play a run based rogue-lite. Dead Cells, Into the Breach, FTL, etc. Or you could play something like Darkest Dungeon if you want something that's a bit more contiguous.

A survival / base builder might be decent just to fart around in: Subnautica, The Forrest, Minecraft, The Long Dark, Don't Starve, etc.

Just stay away from MMOs. You never have enough time. Story heavy games will also feel really disjointed.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4775 on: September 06, 2019, 08:07:52 AM

Anything that has an aggressive autosave is great. Turn-based games are hard to find, but work well as long as they don't have any memory leaks and can stay paused or wait on you for hours. A dedicated game machine is a great boon as well, since sometimes the TV or computer are commandeered for RL things.

Things that pause (for hours) are actually all you really need at a basic level. The best ones allow you to pause cutscenes, because that's exactly when someone finds a spider in the bathtub.

My list of games that I play are probably not compatible with you, but here are some few titles. There are 914 titles in my PSN library so maybe take a whack at naming some things so we can give specific advice.

Red Dead State Fair Workers does well for this lifestyle. Good luck finishing it, though.

All of the recent Assassin's Creed games work well here.

Path of Exile does not pause, however being online-only means that I can just terminate the game and nothing is lost. The instances will remain in place for 8-15 minutes (maybe longer) so sometimes I can still pick up loot that I didn't get before The Disconnect. It is, however, Path of Exile.

Mordheim (Warhammer) works great since it is already turn-based and so far will stay alive for a long time. As do things with "squares", like Disgaea. Mordheim has a Save-and-Quit that can be used during missions, thank Sigmar.

Spider-Man has been able to stay paused for a long while, and I believe cutscene pausing works there as well.

Sinking City does well here. The autosave is a bit TOO aggressive for normal gameplay, IMO, but you won't lose progress and it has a manual save-anywhere.

Bloodstained works well for this.

No Man's Sky is actually terrible here since you can't save in most places. You can carry around a save point and use it when needed. I know, wtf.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4776 on: September 06, 2019, 08:40:36 AM

Try Deep Sky Derelicts. It's some Darkest Dungeon in space made in Finland with deckbuilding, random loot, tons of style and a very cool soundtrack. It's 0.93 cents right now as part of the lower tier Humbe Bundle RPG. If you don't like it, I'll give you the 0.93 cents back.

EDIT TO ADD: You can save anytime anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:42:25 AM by Falconeer »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4777 on: September 06, 2019, 08:43:51 AM

Get a Switch.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4778 on: September 06, 2019, 09:06:13 AM

Try Deep Sky Derelicts. It's some Darkest Dungeon in space made in Finland with deckbuilding, random loot, tons of style and a very cool soundtrack. It's 0.93 cents right now as part of the lower tier Humbe Bundle RPG. If you don't like it, I'll give you the 0.93 cents back.

EDIT TO ADD: You can save anytime anywhere.

Haha I'll give anything a whirl for 93 cents.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4779 on: September 06, 2019, 09:07:46 AM

Path of Exile. Easy to play in chunks. Or you could choose a different ARPG to scratch that itch.

I've never done PoE, but saw it was F2P so I can certainly give it a whirl on the laptop. Thanks!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4780 on: September 06, 2019, 09:08:39 AM

Anything that has an aggressive autosave is great. Turn-based games are hard to find, but work well as long as they don't have any memory leaks and can stay paused or wait on you for hours. A dedicated game machine is a great boon as well, since sometimes the TV or computer are commandeered for RL things.

Yeah you've basically nailed the issue. Oh shit, there's something with the front door, need to pause for 15 minutes.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4781 on: September 06, 2019, 10:57:42 AM

POE is about to keep off their new league today. Good time to start. Post in the POE thread for help.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4782 on: September 06, 2019, 12:09:50 PM

So since my transition into married life, my gaming time was essentially zero. Now it's likely going to go up to 1-2 times a week, and probably for an hour or two at most during those times.

For those of you in similar boats, are there games you're playing currently on Steam or the like that you feel like work well for a limited times per week? Like can you accomplish anything in an hour?
Basically everything I play. I don't get into pretty much anything that doesn't break down into chunks and have a good save function. The PS4 has helped a lot with that, being able to pause anything and walk away immediately is perfect.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4783 on: September 06, 2019, 04:24:02 PM

Get a Switch.

This. Everything can be paused just by pressing the home or power button, even cutscenes. Plus you can play it as a handheld on the couch while still hanging with the family; it's got a hell of a library, and the new models that just dropped have significantly longer battery life while retaining the dockability.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4784 on: September 07, 2019, 03:10:39 PM

you can play it as a handheld on the couch

Toilet.

while still hanging with the family

Not for "normal" people.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4785 on: September 17, 2019, 10:24:19 AM

Trails of Cold Steel III free demo out now on Playstation Network.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4786 on: September 19, 2019, 10:46:15 PM

Poop, I see it is coming for PS4 in October, but I am assuming for now that that's and exclusive?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4787 on: September 19, 2019, 11:42:46 PM

Yup.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4788 on: September 20, 2019, 02:00:34 AM

Well fuck my eyesocket.  Clearly they know how to port this game, the first in the series is perfect.  I assume it will come eventually.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4789 on: September 27, 2019, 05:02:38 PM

Code Vein is finally out. It's Anime Dark Souls, with vampires and your usual (and my beloved) future devastated Tokyo. It doesn't sound too hot and, honestly, it is not too hot. But it is also such an unapologetic attempt at cloning everything D*Souls (after all, it's still bandai Namco) that it manages to capture a few things decently right.

The bottom line is that if you love the kind of long, slow, dangerous crawl that defines the Souls games, coupled with their unique blend of combat, this game gets it close enough, not as good as From Software, but better than any other apocryphal attempt.
If you are looking for their atmosphere though, you won't find it here. There's depression and death, sure, but there's also anime prettiness and lots of cutscenes.

I tend to despise the Souls clones, but this at least retains the Japan-ness (Japanity?) of the original and the usual challenging progression is sucking me in.

There are many things that I wish they could clone better, but overall I definitely recommend it.

Here's a trailer to provide context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URLdBq3_cHM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4790 on: September 27, 2019, 06:39:50 PM

Cant see Vampire sparkle, so not interested.  this guy looks legit

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4791 on: October 08, 2019, 11:21:30 AM

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61153/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Coming-to-PC-November-5th

Today, we're proud to announce that Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC on November 5th, with special bonuses available to players who pre-purchase through the Rockstar Games Launcher starting October 9th.
Ohhhhh, I see.

Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to pre-order at the Epic Games store, Greenman Gaming, the Humble Store, GameStop and additional digital retailers starting October 23rd with a pre-order bonus of 25 Gold Bars for Red Dead Online. Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to purchase on Steam this December.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is currently available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One systems and will also be available this November as a launch title for Google Stadia.

At least Humble, GMG, and Steam will be options. Stadia? Interesting.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4792 on: October 08, 2019, 11:40:59 AM

The game plays so slowly that I can see the Stadia being a good platform for it.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4793 on: October 08, 2019, 11:58:42 AM

I've waited this long, I can wait another month to have it on Steam.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4794 on: October 08, 2019, 12:13:09 PM

I've waited this long, I can wait another month to have it on Steam.
I don't think the month delay will be as big a deterrent as they may think, given the obvious ploy.

I actually may skip it on PC, since I think I'm probably better off playing it on the PS4 Pro vs my ancient pc with a 970, even at 1080p. GTA V struggles on it (though it looks night and day better on pc, obv).
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: