Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340995 times)
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #4480 on: March 21, 2019, 11:44:18 PM

Hmmmm, here's something I didn't expect to see today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvWfDxhm_s

edit: doesn't take place in Santa Monica, so might not have much connection to the first one, but still...

edit the second: it occurs to me that I didn't mention what this is.  VtM: Bloodlines 2.  Thread in progress.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:54:01 PM by Kail »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4481 on: March 22, 2019, 02:03:21 PM

What games? Dead or Alive 6 for sure, and then what?

Why are you so interested in cameltoe?  Anyway, I don't remember the name but it was in my queue and it was Asian so not only did give women cameltoe and ginormous boobies but they made them look like small children.  I am ashamed for the world.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4482 on: March 22, 2019, 02:10:47 PM

I am really not interested in cameltoes. I am interested in your research as you probably know I support your reasons.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4483 on: March 25, 2019, 07:14:54 AM

Since I live under a rock, I came in here to ask why people hate the Epic store but I think I found my answer in the previous posts.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4484 on: March 28, 2019, 11:55:50 AM

This sounds like bullshit to me and it could also easily lead to a terrible game, as Martin's storytelling is nothing like Miyazaki's, but still here's the gossip:

https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-game-of-thrones-anybody-george-rr-martin-and-fromsoftware-have-apparently-teamed-up-to-work-on-a-new-game/

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4485 on: March 28, 2019, 12:27:19 PM

Is there anything at all that Martin won't do to avoid finishing his overly long series? At this point I'm just plain losing interest in anything he does. Same goes for freaking Patrick Rothfuss.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4486 on: March 28, 2019, 01:27:22 PM

Rothfuss said awhile back the “trilogy” is actually just a prequel to the actual story. I guess now all he has to do is write it.

I wonder if these guys are like “fuckit, I’ll just die and let Sanderson finish it”.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4487 on: March 29, 2019, 12:02:22 AM

For folks who have an Amazon Prime subscription and a Switch, you can get up to 12 months of the Switch's online service free through Twitch Prime.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4488 on: March 29, 2019, 12:44:56 PM

So, no discussion on the Borderlands 3 announcement yet? Or the fact that they are remastering all the previous ones and making the updates free on PC for those who owned them?

Of interesting note - they are including the Tales from the Borderlands game as canon in the series, and including characters from it in 3.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4489 on: March 29, 2019, 01:53:26 PM

I agree with everything Borderlands 3. Watched the trailer, will buy it when it arrives but will ignore it for now.

However, I don't think anything can ever surpass Borderlands 2 for me. It hit at the right time and velocity for my life, and I did joy-puke my face off.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4490 on: March 29, 2019, 02:16:26 PM

I liked Borderlands 1&2 once I could exploit mechanics to get me better guns than I normally could. There was that one roof exploit in BL1 and the gold key duping in BL2. Otherwise, shit tends to get a little bullet spongy for my tastes. I don't trust Gearbox or Randy Pitchford either, but I'll keep an eye out for this. I don't play any looter-shooters (uggh) so this could be different enough.

Epic store stuff is starting to annoy me. I was going to get The Division 2 post launch, but the exclusivity meant I couldn't use some Amazon gift cards for a digital key. This may keep on happening.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4491 on: March 29, 2019, 02:31:41 PM

Epic store stuff is starting to annoy me. I was going to get The Division 2 post launch, but the exclusivity meant I couldn't use some Amazon gift cards for a digital key. This may keep on happening.

Correction - this shit with exclusive digital store locations WILL keep happening and it's going to get worse. Because Steam showed everyone a path to printing goddamn money for nothing and now every publisher wants a piece because they can't squeeze enough growth out of fucking lootboxes, microtrans and goddamn subscription services/season passes.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4492 on: March 29, 2019, 02:32:54 PM

Yeah but will Pitchford be able to make a decent game when he can’t screw over Sega and funnel Aliens Colonial Marines development budget into it?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4493 on: March 30, 2019, 12:23:53 PM

If enough people hold fast against exclusives, Epic will eventually stop being able to pay what the publishers will have to demand in order to have a year of relatively low sales.

I dunno. There's stuff I want to play, but it's just going to drive me to the console, not to the Epic Store.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #4494 on: March 30, 2019, 01:28:42 PM

Everyone is always making jokes / bitching about their Steam backlog.  Year-long Epic exclusives are my perfect excuse to do something ablout it.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4495 on: March 30, 2019, 07:29:59 PM

Right? I already wait a year+ for shit to go on sale, I'll have no problem waiting for them to come to a real storefront.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #4496 on: March 31, 2019, 09:00:54 AM

Right? I already wait a year+ for shit to go on sale, I'll have no problem waiting for them to come to a real storefront.

Huge advantage is it also gives them a chance to fix shitty gameplay decisions.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4497 on: April 02, 2019, 10:35:05 AM

Kotaku did a nice expose on Anthem, in which they basically confirm everything the community thought happened over the last six years.

Bioware responded with a knee-jerk post on the article, article unread.

So, yeah, I'm regretting putting money into this a bit. I do enjoy the gameplay, and I think in the right hands it could be phenomenal. But right now? Nah, it's off to DC for the Division 1.5.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4498 on: April 02, 2019, 11:44:17 AM

Kotaku did a nice expose on Anthem
More specifically it was written by Jason Schreier who is one of the very few actual journalists* writing about gaming these days.

* I.e. somebody who does his own research, interviews and investigation rather than just regurgitating gaming company PR
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4499 on: April 02, 2019, 11:51:24 AM

It is a good read, and heads should roll as a result. Whether Anthem improves as a result is yet to be seen.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4500 on: April 02, 2019, 01:47:52 PM

I'm sure heads will roll - it's just going to be the wrong heads when they decide to close down Bioware and fold it into yet another in-house EA development studio, a la Westwood and just about everyone they've ever bought other than DICE.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4501 on: April 02, 2019, 01:49:54 PM

But guys, they are working at Dragon Age 4! That can't go wrong.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4502 on: April 02, 2019, 01:52:42 PM

It's amazing to me how EA stubbornly refuses to back off from forcing everybody to use the Frostbite engine despite having shot themselves in the feet by it at least 4 times now in the past, like, 7 years.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #4503 on: April 02, 2019, 02:00:04 PM

In house framework/middleware development only works if you treat it like an actual product, i.e. there’s support, documentation, training, feature roadmaps, product management, staff like field application engineers, support, coaching and so on.

Otherwise you end up with the worst of both worlds because like Schreier describes you end up with something that’s bug ridden, undocumented and that lacks features and where you also have no input and no leverage over the roadmap or features and the team developing it have no support staff and application engineers and can offer no tutoring.

It’s almost always better to actually license a real product instead.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4504 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:53 AM

The Frostbite engine is fine in and of itself - but clearly EA thinks that its mere existence is enough for games to just develop themselves without any fucking trouble because "WE HAVE AN IN HOUSE ENGINE." DICE is the only one who knows shit about how it works because they built it and I'm pretty sure they do not have enough of a support staff to support it as if it was a product. Even if they did, I'm quite sure EA would just tell DICE to take them off support duty because there has to be a new version of Battlefield out by next quarter or some equally stupid corporate fuckery.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #4505 on: April 03, 2019, 07:46:14 AM

An engine framework that lacks basic features like a "save and load system" which has no online features and where baking the lighting takes "24 hours or more" is not fine. It's basically a decade behind what Epic, Id or Unity offer.

edit: the whole point of licensing an engine is that you don't have to do basic tasks yourself and that you don't constantly need to reinvent the wheel.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4506 on: April 03, 2019, 09:11:52 AM

Pretty decent article, what world do we live in where Kotaku is publishing better articles than Forbes?

I was struck by one aspect, something I deal with quite a bit both in my professional capacity at the library and as a board member of the art association (and as the figure drawing facilitator, and and and): People who want to do 'something different' but fail to have any idea of what that would be. It's so easy to be destructive, critical and anti-(whatever), but it is so rarely backed up by any ideas. That's nihilism, dude. It's reaching epidemic proportions.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4507 on: April 03, 2019, 10:09:50 AM

An engine framework that lacks basic features like a "save and load system" which has no online features and where baking the lighting takes "24 hours or more" is not fine. It's basically a decade behind what Epic, Id or Unity offer.

edit: the whole point of licensing an engine is that you don't have to do basic tasks yourself and that you don't constantly need to reinvent the wheel.

By fine, I mean that the people who made it are able to use it to good effect. They just haven't actually done the legwork or thought it takes for that engine to be portable in the same way a licensed engine has to be, mainly because it's EA and they don't have time for that, since the next edition of Battlefield must be ready in 6 months or less.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #4508 on: April 03, 2019, 11:13:01 AM

Borderlands 3 to be a 6 month Epic Store exclusive.  https://kotaku.com/borderlands-3-is-a-six-month-epic-store-exclusive-1833771692

I can wait a couple years to buy the GotY bundle.  On Steam.  On sale.

I was going to be there, day one, buying the game and the season pass.  Same as I did with Borderlands 2.

Now?  They'll get as little of my money as possible.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4509 on: April 03, 2019, 12:05:56 PM

Yeah this business fad is shitty and it will cost some of these companies quite a few sales. Release the game on my platform of choice if you want my sale.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4510 on: April 03, 2019, 12:19:57 PM

Pretty decent article, what world do we live in where Kotaku is publishing better articles than Forbes?
Kotaku's generally been pretty shitty, but since when has Forbes been known for quality gaming articles?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4511 on: April 03, 2019, 12:50:19 PM

I don't judge most media platforms as a whole any more. It's about the specific writers. Jason Schreier is always worth reading. I don't really care where he's publishing--it's pretty clear that his ethic on reportage isn't derived from his platform, it's his own approach.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4512 on: April 03, 2019, 01:30:52 PM

lol
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4513 on: April 03, 2019, 03:52:02 PM

Kotaku's generally been pretty shitty, but since when has Forbes been known for quality gaming articles?
I thought they were pretty good when they first started covering video games. There was one reviewer back then (who still may be around) whose name I don't remember anymore that I liked. These days they are pretty inconsistent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4514 on: April 04, 2019, 01:24:32 PM

Clearly there is money to be made in consulting for game companies.

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: