Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1341167 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1225 on: August 24, 2013, 11:39:18 AM

Dungeon Master would be the best game ever, if I could have figured out how to defeat the last boss.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1226 on: August 24, 2013, 04:18:37 PM

Eye of the Beholder was great (and the sequel even better) but Dungeon Master really  was in a class of its own. The game basically sold the Atari ST for a couple of years.

And re. The last boss, do you mean the dragon or Lord Chaos?

The dragon could be killed a number of ways. Obviously you could ballet dance into death although it was incredibly fast and deadly. You could stair dance it also. Easiest was was to use the freeze time boxes you had picked up throughout the game and then drop as many level 6 poison clouds on it as possible. It had no resistance to poison.

If you mean Lord Chaos, then you needed the upgrade flux staff from level 14 after killing the dragon. You have to have him in a flux cage and then use the fuse ability. The problem was he would always move out of that, so the solution was to cage him in flux cages - he couldn't move into a square with a cage, so if you surrounded him with them you could then fuse his ass and win the game. It wasnt possible to neat him via normal means, and the other monsters on his level (the black flames etc) would always regenerate.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1227 on: August 27, 2013, 03:56:19 AM

Eye of the Beholder was great (and the sequel even better) but Dungeon Master really  was in a class of its own. The game basically sold the Atari ST for a couple of years.

The dragon could be killed a number of ways. Obviously you could ballet dance into death although it was incredibly fast and deadly. You could stair dance it also. Easiest was was to use the freeze time boxes you had picked up throughout the game and then drop as many level 6 poison clouds on it as possible. It had no resistance to poison.

If you mean Lord Chaos, then you needed the upgrade flux staff from level 14 after killing the dragon. You have to have him in a flux cage and then use the fuse ability. The problem was he would always move out of that, so the solution was to cage him in flux cages - he couldn't move into a square with a cage, so if you surrounded him with them you could then fuse his ass and win the game. It wasnt possible to neat him via normal means, and the other monsters on his level (the black flames etc) would always regenerate.

I remember beating DM1 and feeling pretty good about myself then DM2 I couldn't last 40 ft into the damn dungeon :(
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1228 on: August 27, 2013, 05:18:29 AM

This entire statement is why the terrorists hate us.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lemming
Terracotta Army

Reply #1229 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:47 AM

Because we owned consoles and games in the 80s and because we talk about strategies on killing dragons and lords?
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1230 on: August 27, 2013, 05:42:30 AM

I was so oddly proud for remembering that!

But, on the other hand, dungeon master was the single game that defined my childhood. I completed it multiple times and its what got me into RPGs in general. I cant remember crap from other games I played at the time.

(Other than treasure island dizzy being an ass for killing me for dropping the snorkel underwater!)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1231 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:11 AM

I couldn't figure out the flux cages.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1232 on: August 27, 2013, 01:53:18 PM

But, on the other hand, dungeon master was the single game that defined my childhood. I completed it multiple times and its what got me into RPGs in general. I cant remember crap from other games I played at the time.

Same here, although I would add Bard's Tale I and Ultima IV to the list. Regarding Lord Chaos, beside the fluxcage spamming, I distinctly remember that I couldn't figure out the "ZoKathRa" spell (which allows you to free the power gem you then put on the firestaff). Err, I thought Zokathra was a proper name, so me and my father spent hours on the last level after we killed the damn dragon (with the endless ballet dance tactic) :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1233 on: August 27, 2013, 01:58:26 PM

ADVENT (Adventure, Colossal Cave, etc) on the mainframe at my grandfather's office was the one that captivated me (xyzzy, plugh etc). Then it was a couple years of AD&D and Atari's Adventure until I got a C-64 for programming and a copy of Ultima IV.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1234 on: August 27, 2013, 03:48:34 PM

Eye of the Beholder was great (and the sequel even better) but Dungeon Master really  was in a class of its own. The game basically sold the Atari ST for a couple of years.
That's because the ST was shit and real gamers had an Amiga.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And I really wish someone would unfuck the legal minefield around EotB. A couple of years ago I'd have just written it off as impossible but we've had a whole bunch of 'impossible' things show up on GoG (etc) or had the licences finally sold on in that timeframe, so maybe one day....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:50:41 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1235 on: August 27, 2013, 03:55:27 PM

Eye of the Beholder was great (and the sequel even better) but Dungeon Master really  was in a class of its own. The game basically sold the Atari ST for a couple of years.
That's because the ST was shit and real gamers had an Amiga.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And I really wish someone would unfuck the legal minefield around EotB. A couple of years ago I'd have just written it off as impossible but we've had a whole bunch of 'impossible' things show up on GoG (etc) or had the licences finally sold on in that timeframe, so maybe one day....

I think I already  Mob you in another topic about the Atari ST vs Amiga debate  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?, but anyway I'll put on my broken record as well since I hope GoG wil finally unravel all the legal problems concerning the entire SSI AD&D catalog (yeah, there are plenty abandonware sites where you can download them, but still...): beside the gold box ones, I want Ravenloft and Dark Sun too  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1236 on: August 27, 2013, 03:56:01 PM

Possible seizure alert:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:10:00 PM by Trippy »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1237 on: August 27, 2013, 05:43:53 PM

I'm not a huge fan of overblown particle effects. That seems to be one of this upcoming generations big thing. (See Killer Instinct for example)

As far as Eye of the Beholder - it was a pretty shitty game. Does not hold up at all. The PC version had some awesome graphics at the time though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1238 on: August 30, 2013, 12:55:38 PM

BG:EE is back on sale, btw. And in other news: http://www.baldursgateii.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bHwTDl231A

November 15th.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1239 on: September 03, 2013, 06:13:36 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1240 on: September 03, 2013, 08:29:09 AM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1241 on: September 03, 2013, 11:37:48 AM

BG:EE is back on sale, btw. And in other news: http://www.baldursgateii.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bHwTDl231A

November 15th.

Great, now I need to buy this for a third time as well.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1242 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:21 AM

Is there a reason that video game streamers on Twitch don't greenscreen advertising into the background of their little web cams?

Also - I wish Twitch gave an option to selectively mute only the talking audio.  I'd still like the game audio to come through, just not some of these idiots.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1243 on: September 10, 2013, 01:03:43 PM

For those interested, Fifa 14 demo is now available on Origin.

In related news, the XBox demo for PES 2014 should now be available; not sure about Playstation. The PC demo will be available on release day (sigh).

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1244 on: September 10, 2013, 07:11:37 PM

Is there a reason that video game streamers on Twitch don't greenscreen advertising into the background of their little web cams?
That would require them to a) be capable of decent videography, b) work out their own advertising deals, and c) be good at video games. The intersection of all three is empty except for organized teams, who do often have sponsor logos on their streams.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1245 on: September 11, 2013, 07:57:37 AM

Maybe you've already talked about this in other topics, but I've just read about this little program:

http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Still have to try it out, but I guess it should come quite handy when you are in the mood for some old-school RPGs, planning PnP maps and so on.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1246 on: September 11, 2013, 03:49:29 PM

Maybe you've already talked about this in other topics, but I've just read about this little program:

http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Still have to try it out, but I guess it should come quite handy when you are in the mood for some old-school RPGs, planning PnP maps and so on.
Thanks, I've been looking for something like this for D&D for a while now.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1247 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:53 PM

What was the deal with Card Hunter, seems like a PVE card game?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1248 on: September 13, 2013, 12:56:23 PM

Five minutes into Rogue Legacy and I'm in love with the game:

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1249 on: September 13, 2013, 01:58:47 PM

Anyone familiar with the Windows versions of the old Legacy of Kain games? GOG has Soul Reaver 1, 2, Blood Omen 2, and LoK: Defiance on sale as part of some Square weekend deal, and I've heard that Soul Reaver 1 had some control issues.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1250 on: September 13, 2013, 03:27:10 PM

Anyone familiar with the Windows versions of the old Legacy of Kain games? GOG has Soul Reaver 1, 2, Blood Omen 2, and LoK: Defiance on sale as part of some Square weekend deal, and I've heard that Soul Reaver 1 had some control issues.

Yeah, the controls are pretty ass, as far as I can see.  I haven't found a way to get the game to recognize a gamepad, and the game also doesn't want to use the mouse (if I recall correctly) so everything from movement to camera rotation is handled by key commands, which leads to some awkward finger gymnastics on the jumps.  It's beatable, but pretty awkward in places.  Haven't played the others in years, but I recall SR2 being way better in that area.

edit: no, I tell a lie, I just checked and the game does recognize my gamepad, but there's something incredibly screwed up with the calibration.  Tell the guy to move left and he moves left, and keeps moving left even if I release the stick.  Even when I set it to digital mode, controlling the game with the d-pad, it does this.  Weird.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:26:45 PM by Kail »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1251 on: September 13, 2013, 03:35:57 PM

Five minutes into Rogue Legacy and I'm in love with the game:

Yea, it's basically the last Castlevania game I'll ever need to play.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1252 on: September 13, 2013, 03:55:12 PM

That seems like it would be more annoying than fun.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1253 on: September 16, 2013, 12:56:28 PM

It's only annoying until you die, which given that affliction is guaranteed to be soon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1254 on: September 16, 2013, 01:07:57 PM

I actually managed to survive for 15-20 minutes with the vertigo trait, clearing out the castle, forest, and a bit of maya. Upon my next heir I felt like I was falling the wrong direction. It was an odd sensation.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1255 on: September 16, 2013, 01:27:46 PM

It was basically the first guy I played.  I did not fare well.

The architect gives an interesting strategic choice regarding upgrades.  However I still need monies for upgrades.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1256 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:44 PM

Not sure if anyone here played Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman, the PSP Japanese Roguelike with the ridiculous long name, but it seems they made a sequel, Guided Fate Paradox which will be releasing stateside 11/5 on the PS3. Pretty psyched, as ZHP was basically Disgaea crossed with a Roguelike, and one of the coolest games I played towards the end of the PSP's life cycle.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1257 on: September 24, 2013, 12:26:00 AM

It was basically the first guy I played.  I did not fare well.

The architect gives an interesting strategic choice regarding upgrades.  However I still need monies for upgrades.

I primarily use the architect to go after fairy chests that need an ability I didn't have to get at or to repeat boss battles after dying horribly.

For regular dungeon crawling I prefer maximum cash reward.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1258 on: September 24, 2013, 08:09:10 AM

Yeah, those fairy chests.  WHEEEE.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1259 on: September 26, 2013, 01:41:54 PM

They have finally set a date to auction off the (rotten) corpse of 38 studios. I'm genuinely interested to see if someone will make an offer that is actually enough to make the sale go thru.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: