Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1350566 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1015 on: April 11, 2013, 06:02:42 PM

I have a great new idea, though.  Recent marketing studies have indicated that people who sit down on their couches often like to have carbonated beverages nearby.  Someone should make a gaming console that is primarily a carbonated beverage dispensing device, and a maybe including a touchscreen on it so that you can still play your angry birds while skyping with your grandma.  Fucking money hats.

With the tech that is in Coke's Freestyle machines, this is a total possibility and a fantastic idea. 

I now want to create a subscription soda service for fat Americans so they never have to go to the store again.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1016 on: April 11, 2013, 06:29:40 PM

Jones Soda had (and may still have, too lazy to research) subscription soda services in the late 90s. As did a few other boutique companies.

It was pretty good.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: April 11, 2013, 07:05:02 PM

I wouldn't mind an actual soda fountain setup. Just buy the packs and the CO2 -- probably be cheaper over the long run. *shrug*

Microsoft is still being a flaming moron with the 720. I think they're doing all the BS social-networking crap for the same reason SimCity did -- as a justification for what is an anti-piracy (well, anti-resale actually) move. They want a cut of that Gamestop money, and they're willing to fuck over the Xbox to get it.

Which is gonna be..interesting, because legally if they do anything to actually cut into resales, they're running afoul of the law. OTOH, the Supreme Court has been moving lately to make it REALLY fucking hard to do class-action lawsuits, so they might be able to get away with it under the assumption that no class-action suit can be put together.

On the third hand -- they're still fucking over their gamers because they want that gamestop resale money (and it's not like they're gonna lower the box price to cut into it -- heavens no) and their gamers are seeing a bullshit social media box that claims to be a console.

So, you know, pretty standard software company stabbing itself in the dick in pursuit of money it thinks it deserves but doesn't get.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1018 on: April 11, 2013, 07:18:21 PM

It's not afoul of resale laws if it's software you never owned.   If it's streamed to your unit and you only have a licence agreement to have access which can be revoked/ arbitrated instead of sued over.  Well, they win.   You didn't need to sign the TOS to buy the fixture and you can still use it for base function. However, you HAD to click-through that TOS to lease the software, so sorry no "i had to open it first" shrinkwrap shenanagins stuff!

Do I think they'll succeed? Probably.  Consumers are getting dumber as retailers get cleverer.  I never assumed anyone would be dumb enough to do pay-per-minute for Data and phone again. Boy was I wrong!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1019 on: April 12, 2013, 05:54:11 AM

I wouldn't mind an actual soda fountain setup. Just buy the packs and the CO2 -- probably be cheaper over the long run. *shrug*

It's the insulin that gets expensive.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: April 12, 2013, 06:17:32 AM

Do I think they'll succeed? Probably.  Consumers are getting dumber as retailers get cleverer.

This. They will succeed. Too many gamers are looking for that fix and aren't thinking twice about what it means to not really own the games they buy.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:37 AM

It's not afoul of resale laws if it's software you never owned.   If it's streamed to your unit and you only have a licence agreement to have access which can be revoked/ arbitrated instead of sued over.  Well, they win.   You didn't need to sign the TOS to buy the fixture and you can still use it for base function. However, you HAD to click-through that TOS to lease the software, so sorry no "i had to open it first" shrinkwrap shenanagins stuff!

Do I think they'll succeed? Probably.  Consumers are getting dumber as retailers get cleverer.  I never assumed anyone would be dumb enough to do pay-per-minute for Data and phone again. Boy was I wrong!
Right, but this "always on" stuff doesn't seem to fit into "We'd like to stream the games to you! No more discs!" logic -- that doesn't need to be "always on", unless they're paranoid you're gonna somehow figure out how to install the game on multiple X-boxes and play it, which seems like more work than the average customer will bother with (and nothing they can do will stop the dedicated ones).

I'm talking physical disc resale -- that's what's been pissing MS off. Sure, half the reason for digital delivery is to kick that option in the nads. But "always on" is like first-day DLC's in an attempt to say "Nope, can't play that game. Someone else still 'owns' it even though you've paid for it!"

That part's illegal, although I suppose if they're trying to claim online experience is integral (even if online only means 'you can auto-facebook shit') then they can try to side-step it.

But in the end, this is gonna be a festering pile of shit because it's all justifications for preventing resale, not a useful feature in of itself. Like SimCity, what you have here is a console designed around a mandate of "Fuck you if you bought your game at Gamestop".
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1022 on: April 12, 2013, 07:29:22 AM

There's a difference between reselling your game and the wholesale rape that is gamestop's business model.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1023 on: April 12, 2013, 11:23:23 AM

It would only be rape if they were forcing people to do it.  Most people don't love their games the way old farts do.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1024 on: April 12, 2013, 11:26:22 AM

Much cheaper.  Google "SodaStream". 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #1025 on: April 12, 2013, 12:56:01 PM

I want an actual 2 head fountain whenever I get a condo/home. Sodastream is cheaper but not even remotely the same thing. I want muh'fuckin Diet Rooster Booster and endless no work required stream of soda water.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1026 on: April 12, 2013, 03:21:10 PM

There'll be work required no matter what unless you hire someone to refill and maintain the machine for you, but yeah, a SodaStream isn't quite the same thing as "push button, soda comes out".  It is way the hell cheaper and more space-efficient, though.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #1027 on: April 12, 2013, 03:56:59 PM

Cheaper in the short term, yes. Long term, not even remotely. The gas refills are priced for shit.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: April 14, 2013, 12:01:55 PM

Attempting to log into Xbox live today was another strike against me getting a 720.

It took fifteen minutes of cursing because of some bullshit Microsoft security shit. "We need another email address to verify it". "Wait, we already have that [other one]". THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU ASK FOR IT?

Same for a phone number for a text message. It basically sat there in a loop of fucking stupid, asking me for shit it then said it already had, and not letting me goddamn log in.

No, I had to finally get up, wander to my computer, go through two email accounts and the goddamn Xbox live page to MAYBE fix the fucking thing. And given what happened last time this shit occurred, in two days I'll have to do it again.

Here's a hint, Microsoft: If you want "always on" then logging onto your fucking service should not be akin to being punched in the dick.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1029 on: April 14, 2013, 12:03:43 PM

Probably a side-effect of the Xbox Live outage this weekend.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1030 on: April 14, 2013, 12:19:30 PM

Probably a side-effect of the Xbox Live outage this weekend.

Which was, you know, TOTALLY not hacked. At all. Just a random service outage that's requiring us all to punch ourselves in the dicks to prove we're us.

*makes throttling motions*

I'm assuming that my Xbox has a unique serial number, one that is undoubtedly passed to MS everytime I log onto Live. So the question is, why does Microsoft not go "Hey, look, it's Morat20 logging in on the same physical platform he always logs into" and call it a day?

Sure, maybe someone stole my xbox. But that would be a seperate issue from some account hacking shit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1031 on: April 15, 2013, 08:15:09 AM

So my XBox 360 has decided it does not want to stay connected to the Internet for more than a few minutes. Oh and no matter how long I keep my wireless controller charged in, it doesn't actually work for more than a few minutes. Luckily, I have no much PC gaming goodness, I haven't really missed it. Does this sound like a precursor to bricking or just separate issues that I should probably look at separately if I was ever arsed to care?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: April 15, 2013, 09:03:41 AM

The internet I can't say.  Could be a router issue.  Old router?  Wired or wireless?  Try switching ports if wired?

The controller probably just needs a new rechargeable battery.  They do go bad after a few years.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1033 on: April 15, 2013, 10:07:48 AM

No, the router was working fine for a while. I've always had trouble with this XBox 360 (never could get the Live voice chat to work right with headphones) and it's probably just time to put a bullet in it.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: April 15, 2013, 11:09:37 AM

Hmm, maybe the recent troubles is why my XBox Live account crashed and burned last weekend. Had to make a new one in the end, lost 20 hours of Dark Souls progress.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: April 15, 2013, 04:04:19 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll just leave it here:

A large album of Star Wars Galaxies screenshots http://imgur.com/a/NiiYi#0
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1036 on: April 16, 2013, 07:43:53 AM

Great.  SWG memories.  Now I'm horribly depressed again. cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1037 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:05 PM

For us sad , sad EA drones out there....

Fifa 14 announced (duh) , new features revealed.

65 millions players a day huh? Damn.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: April 17, 2013, 12:27:08 PM

I immediately thought that "features" meant something like always-on DRM, we actually built an MMO in many ways kind of features. These are actual features. I'm jaded I guess.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1039 on: April 17, 2013, 12:55:09 PM

For us sad , sad EA drones out there....

Fifa 14 announced (duh) , new features revealed.

65 millions players a day huh? Damn.

No no no. 65 Million games a week.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: April 17, 2013, 01:15:19 PM

Ahh ok, still impressive...Im guessing that shits all over Madden.

Btw to call them features is really too kind, more like tweaks to gameplay that  75% of players wont notice

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: April 19, 2013, 08:00:32 PM

Oculus Rift + Omni Directional Treadmill + gun controller = some of the neatest VR I've seen in a while:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-19-team-fortress-2-played-on-omnidirectional-treadmill-and-oculus-rift

Looking impractical, but I could see it being fun.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1042 on: April 20, 2013, 03:16:00 AM

Ahh ok, still impressive...Im guessing that shits all over Madden.
Well, yeah. Most of the planet plays football, only America really plays hand-egg.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1043 on: April 25, 2013, 07:37:56 PM

Thanks to my inside connections with AMD (i.e. I have an AMD card inside my PC) I am able to bring you this F13-exlusive preview of AMD's next "Never Settle" bundle:

While the veracity cannot be confirmed yet, I really hope it is...Rome II would be a day-one purchase for me and I prolly need a new card by then anyway.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:42:44 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1044 on: April 25, 2013, 08:47:53 PM

AMD still makes graphics cards? I thought they all but shuttered their GPU division.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: April 25, 2013, 09:23:57 PM

AMD still makes graphics cards? I thought they all but shuttered their GPU division.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1046 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:04 PM

What is a "never settle" bundle?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1047 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:11 PM

I'm completely serious. Unless I grossly misinterpreted the news, they fired many of their engineers last year, and have said multiple times, most recently in February, that they have no new cards coming out for nearly all of 2013, and maybe even into next year.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: April 26, 2013, 12:27:02 AM

Sigh ya they still manage dispite an incompetant board.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:29:59 AM by Phred »
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1049 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:34 AM

What is a "never settle" bundle?

Get free games when you buy an AMD graphic cards. For example buying a 7900 series card gets you free Farcry 3, Farcry Blood Dragon, Hitman and Sleeping Dogs. A cheaper HD 7700 still gets you Farcry 3 + Blood dragon.
-----------
I'm completely serious. Unless I grossly misinterpreted the news, they fired many of their engineers last year, and have said multiple times, most recently in February, that they have no new cards coming out for nearly all of 2013, and maybe even into next year.

One might even say it's the division that's doing good right now.

CPU market share
Intel: 82.5% - AMD’s 16.9%

Discrete graphic cards:
Nvida: 65.7% - AMD:35.7%

-----------

Neither Nvida nor AMD are going to launch a new series of graphic cards before Q4/2013. Both for the same reason: they are milking the market with the current generation as long as they can. AMD has the "Sea Islands" series ready, but is it holding it back until said Q4.

"Sea Islands" - codename of the the coming 8000 series - will be a refresh of the current "Southern Islands" (HD 7000) generation. Meaning no large architekture changes and the same 28 nm production process, 'just' an increase in die-size and more transistors. 3dcenter.de speculates with a 30% performance increase in the mainstream segment, ~20% for the high end series.

What Nvidia will counter with is unkown atm. They might develop a new a chip as well (although nothing said about that yet) or offer something based on the GK110 chip (which is what runs their current Titan card, selling for 1169$ at amazon.com right now.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:15:13 AM by calapine »

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: