Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:38:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1350826 times)
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: April 08, 2013, 08:43:59 AM

ITT old people yelling at clouds.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: April 08, 2013, 08:49:38 AM

You're probably right. I keep thinking about some younger people I know who would probably eat this shit right up. I am not the target audience anymore. I have become my parents.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #982 on: April 08, 2013, 09:04:31 AM

Nope. This is bad business. In fact, Sony has been tanking for the last 3 years, and they just posted their largest loss in years along with their revenue totals 16% lower than 2009 levels. Their cash flows are dwindling year to year.

They should take advantage of MS making giant missteps of late if they want to turn the tide. Otherwise? They are going to get bled out of the marketshare.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #983 on: April 08, 2013, 09:26:51 AM

They are really not making the case for me switching from the 360.

Ditto.

Which sounds like a good way to piss off their customers (increase the cost of the box, add value in areas the base customer doesn't really care for, and not in areas they do) and try to sell it to an entirely DIFFERENT customer base.

So basically the new XBox is Windows 8 in shitbrick form?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #984 on: April 08, 2013, 11:10:12 AM

This is such an opportunity for Sony. No online requirement, allow used games and the nextbox is out of the game for a generation.

I don't have faith in them. I would assume they will just follow suit.

to trust not is wise
yet always on requirement
denied has been

Edit: Cut me some slack, I am new to this haiku stuff. embarassed

What about:

always on fear
floating on the internetz
denials blossom
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:20:36 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: April 08, 2013, 12:25:33 PM

That Microsoft is shifting their console stuff to be more of an Apple competitor should surprise absolutely nobody whatsoever.

I mean, Microsoft essentially said a decade ago with the launch of the original XBox that this kind of stuff (an all-in-one multimedia set-top box that you pay into) was their long-term goal, and that they were using console gaming as an "in".
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #986 on: April 08, 2013, 12:34:21 PM

The problem with that theory is that when you aren't first to the party, and the guy with the first product doesn't suck, it's hard to break in.

See Google v. Bing, or Origin v. Steam

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: April 08, 2013, 01:00:06 PM

Which sounds like a good way to piss off their customers (increase the cost of the box, add value in areas the base customer doesn't really care for, and not in areas they do) and try to sell it to an entirely DIFFERENT customer base.
So standard procedure for every-other OS they've put out?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: April 08, 2013, 04:06:00 PM

lol. Pretty much.

I'm not dropping 500 for it. Heck, as it was I'm happy enough with the 360 that it'd have to be a big step up to get me to drop 300 on it. (Certainly not the first six months. Let other people sort out their first-run hardware problems),

But flat-out -- marketing it as a social/media hub, gaming console second? Officially lost interest in spending money on them at all.

I guess what's really annoying here is the Xbox is a gaming console. And the news there? Social and media stuff. Not gaming. Even if the Xbox 720 is some quantum leap in gaming, it feels like gaming is an afterthought.

Also? FUCK ALWAYS ONLINE. My internet goes out, so I can't play games? Fuck you. I'm not paying a few hundred dollars for something that's a brick if ATT is having network problems.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: April 08, 2013, 04:11:17 PM

How much does a 360 cost these days? Is the new 'stingray' model significantly cheaper?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #990 on: April 08, 2013, 04:27:04 PM

How much does a 360 cost these days? Is the new 'stingray' model significantly cheaper?
Depends on which one. There are like a bazillion SKUs now why so serious? (actually only 6 not including the special bundles).

4 GB or 250 GB
with or without Kinect
with or without 2 year Xbox Live Gold subscription.

The cheapest are the $99 4 GB + Kinect or $99 250 GB (no Kinect) with the 2 year Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Without the subscription the cheapest is $199 for the 4 GB (no Kinect).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: April 08, 2013, 07:20:26 PM

The current $99 with subscription is a 2 year, $14.99/month subscription, making it ~$40 more expensive than just buying the system and two years of Gold outright. If the Stingray is an actual $99 SKU with no subscription required it'd be a significant drop, but with no memory it probably still requires another $129.99 for a hard drive.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #992 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:50 PM

To me the whole idea of a "set top box" that rules them all is already way outdated. It's a goal that MS has had for at least 15 years. WebTV was supposed to be that. But to me one unified box that plays games, video, services, etc, seems like someone offering an amp, receiver and 5 disc CD changer in one package - who cares? People use iPods to listen to music now, not 5 component stereo system towers.

The modern family is less tethered to the TV and living room every day. This is definitely not "old man yells at cloud", it's the opposite - old man pursues outdated business goal. Have you been in the living room of someone who has kids? One kid is on the computer, one kid is using an iPad. There isn't a family circle around the TV. "Back in my day we all shared one wooden toy." This sort of living room domination is that.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:27 PM

You're probably right. I keep thinking about some younger people I know who would probably eat this shit right up. I am not the target audience anymore. I have become my parents.

Young people might not be bothered by "always on" requirements but do you think young people interact with social media by sitting down in front of the TV?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:16 AM

The problem with that theory is that when you aren't first to the party, and the guy with the first product doesn't suck, it's hard to break in.

It would seem exceptionally hard when putting 0 effort behind the attempt. See this recent article on the Windows 8 Store ._

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/5-reasons-why-the-windows-8-store-is-a-complete-mess/
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:14 AM

Young people might not be bothered by "always on" requirements but do you think young people interact with social media by sitting down in front of the TV?

Perhaps not, but they probably would view it as another way to connect with friends or family. They are so used to being available 24/7 anyway and now it is easier to see what my friends are up to.

I'm probably going to sound even older now, but cell phones are really what started the "always on" issue. My in-laws actually get upset when my wife and I don't answer our cell phones. As if having the cell means I am available at all times whenever you call. It drives me insane, but younger people are so used to this idea that it is second nature.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: April 09, 2013, 06:58:27 AM

The definition of irony?  Having your DRM solution hacked to deliver free games, including unreleased ones.

Russian hackers have figured out a way to download free games from Ubisoft's servers, exploiting an existing vulnerability in Ubisoft's uPlay launcher

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #997 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:10 AM

To me the whole idea of a "set top box" that rules them all is already way outdated. It's a goal that MS has had for at least 15 years. WebTV was supposed to be that. But to me one unified box that plays games, video, services, etc, seems like someone offering an amp, receiver and 5 disc CD changer in one package - who cares? People use iPods to listen to music now, not 5 component stereo system towers.
The receiver is still the heart of the media system. Headphones and docking systems can't compete with real speakers.

My main problem with a set-top unibox is that everyone wants to make it a walled garden device, injecting more middle-man profit grabbing into an already expensive chain. I have a perfectly good unified device (and I'm looking at unifying even more with a cable card) in my PC. Great gaming, blu-ray, streaming video and music. But I can't watch HD movies because it's not walled and Amazon has a fit about that (even though I'm paying a sub for Prime).
Young people might not be bothered by "always on" requirements
Young people might not pay for their online connection or have realistic budgets. Having a broadband connection isn't a reality in most of the world. It does follow the trend of squeezing the haves harder and just forgetting about the have-nots entirely.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: April 09, 2013, 08:11:08 AM

The definition of irony?  Having your DRM solution hacked to deliver free games, including unreleased ones.

Russian hackers have figured out a way to download free games from Ubisoft's servers, exploiting an existing vulnerability in Ubisoft's uPlay launcher

I'm torn between just putting a smiley icon because, well, fuck Ubi's uPlay system right in the god damn ear or being upset because this will just give those nutbags more to bitch about and blame on pirates instead of their shitty systems.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:07 AM

In other Ubisoft news, apparently Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon was actually a real thing and not an April Fool's joke.

( awesome, for real & amazing ) website: http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/

It's like every early-80s sci-fi action movie rolled into one (including having Michael Biehn in it).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1000 on: April 11, 2013, 03:52:28 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1001 on: April 11, 2013, 04:12:53 AM

It's funny. Had it been something the net agreed with, they'd be bitching in comments about how unfair it is he was fired for statements on his private twitter.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: April 11, 2013, 04:28:27 AM

Considering how much science there is behind things like crowd psychology, he pretty much played with fire and was surprised when he got burned.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: April 11, 2013, 04:56:26 AM

So Microsoft is going to push their new console into spot in the market that doesn't even fucking exist.  There is no demand for an always on multimedia device that requires a subscription service and is totally walled off.  Not primarily a gaming console?  Are they fucking bonkers?  They are going to cram in a bajillion feature that are all better done by some other device.  I already have 47 devices that will work with Hulu or Netflix.  I have better ways to use facebook.  I have better web browsers.  My other devices have better peripherals for inputs.  I have several blu ray players.  I don't want yet another way to connect people.  My PC already does whatever you are trying to duplicate, and already plays super amazing games.  I don't want to pay a subscription to play Farmville, or whatever.  500 dollars?  Hardy har har.  I never thought we would get to a console generation that I would not be an early adopter of.  Wii U was the first, and now this.  Sony isn't looking all that smart either.  Seems like for the first time in a long time that the way has been paved for somebody else to come in and clean up.

I have a great new idea, though.  Recent marketing studies have indicated that people who sit down on their couches often like to have carbonated beverages nearby.  Someone should make a gaming console that is primarily a carbonated beverage dispensing device, and a maybe including a touchscreen on it so that you can still play your angry birds while skyping with your grandma.  Fucking money hats.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1004 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:02 AM

I can't get enough of Microsoft thinking they need like 32 different SKUs for every product. Okay we got the new console, a new-old console, then a settop box. Whew, did we miss any bases yet? Do they have a handheld?

lmao forever.

Edit: Also, Polygon is defending the guy. Just FYI Polygon took $250,000 from Microsoft. Sure it's a coincidence.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:16:25 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: April 11, 2013, 06:39:07 AM

The most recent set of leaks/rumors re: the next XBox are actually pretty interesting.

The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions....

...Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:41:59 AM by MisterNoisy »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1006 on: April 11, 2013, 07:24:34 AM

So Microsoft is going to push their new console into spot in the market that doesn't even fucking exist.  There is no demand for an always on multimedia device that requires a subscription service and is totally walled off.  Not primarily a gaming console?  Are they fucking bonkers?  They are going to cram in a bajillion feature that are all better done by some other device.  I already have 47 devices that will work with Hulu or Netflix.  I have better ways to use facebook.  I have better web browsers.  My other devices have better peripherals for inputs.  I have several blu ray players.  I don't want yet another way to connect people.  My PC already does whatever you are trying to duplicate, and already plays super amazing games.

When you put it like that, sounds perfect for Sky.

So, yes: bonkers.

What are bonkers, anyway?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1007 on: April 11, 2013, 07:51:35 AM

My only complaint is the device binding of Amazon Prime video. Even if the new console from MS is better at 1080p than my 460SLI with 2GB vram, it won't be for long.

So they don't even get me, ostensibly the target demographic. Though not really because it's the money boner thing for social networking, and my social networking is going over to the neighbors to have a beer in his garage or having a friend over to jam.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: April 11, 2013, 07:54:22 AM

So Microsoft is going to push their new console into spot in the market that doesn't even fucking exist.  There is no demand for an always on multimedia device that requires a subscription service and is totally walled off.  Not primarily a gaming console?  Are they fucking bonkers?  They are going to cram in a bajillion feature that are all better done by some other device.  I already have 47 devices that will work with Hulu or Netflix.  I have better ways to use facebook.  I have better web browsers.  My other devices have better peripherals for inputs.  I have several blu ray players.  I don't want yet another way to connect people.  My PC already does whatever you are trying to duplicate, and already plays super amazing games.

When you put it like that, sounds perfect for Sky.

So, yes: bonkers.

What are bonkers, anyway?

I used to love this candy. Maybe my post belongs in the Old Farts thread.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: April 11, 2013, 08:15:46 AM

Durango: SegaCD part deux

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: April 11, 2013, 12:43:16 PM

The receiver is still the heart of the media system. Headphones and docking systems can't compete with real speakers.

From an audio quality standpoint, sure. The again MP3s can't compete with CDs and Netflix streaming can't compete with Blu-Ray.

I don't own a receiver or "media system" of any kind and there are a lot of people out there like me.

Edit: As far as "always online" goes, the phrase is used to mean about ten different things. When used by PR it generally means "does not function without a connection" not "uses a connection constantly if you have one." So when I read something like "...Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games" I have no idea what to think.

This SKU stuff is incredibly confusing. If I have a Durango is there any reason I'd want this 360 mini other than to play 360 games? And I can't update my existing 360 to give it the functions of the new one? What?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:49:02 PM by Margalis »

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:11 PM

This SKU stuff is incredibly confusing. If I have a Durango is there any reason I'd want this 360 mini other than to play 360 games? And I can't update my existing 360 to give it the functions of the new one? What?

As far as I can tell (and assuming this all pans out), they're releasing the Durango and the 'XBox mini' (which is being positioned against Roku/AppleTV, etc) as standalone devices.

Durango won't have backwards compatibility built in, but if it's connected to the Mini (Form Voltron!), you can chuck your 360 discs in Durango's drive and they'll work.

XBox mini won't have an optical drive, but it will play your XBLA stuff and anything you purchased using XBox Games on Demand.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1012 on: April 11, 2013, 01:50:53 PM

Eh... is there a link to the Visio diagram for this?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: April 11, 2013, 02:11:43 PM

Seriously.

One thing I hate about gaming today is how you need a fucking spreadsheet to buy anything. People are going to walk into a store and be able to buy a 720, a 360 or a Mini, all of which do different things alone and in combination. I suspect that the Mini is going to be HD-DVD drive of this gen.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1014 on: April 11, 2013, 03:56:39 PM

Seriously.

One thing I hate about gaming today is how you need a fucking spreadsheet to buy anything. People are going to walk into a store and be able to buy a 720, a 360 or a Mini, all of which do different things alone and in combination. I suspect that the Mini is going to be HD-DVD drive of this gen.

This product fragmentation?  It's the group internecine warfare within Microsoft.  Bet anything each SKU does something DIFFERENT that some VP and chums can point to as a completed goal.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: