Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1341159 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #525 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:51 AM

Gabe talks a bit about pricing models and f2p. Confirms we're lab rats in a totally awesome experiment.

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #526 on: October 24, 2011, 11:52:58 AM

The pricing experiments they've done have more often than not been very beneficial to the consumer. It's awesome to think that by being good to the customer, their revenue increases by not just a little bit, but a fuckload.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:19 PM

Yeah, I like that part, too. It's nice to see someone who gets the concept of win/win capitalism, seems like such a quaint idea in modern times.

Also, I have a shitload of games on steam I'll probably never play and wouldn't have bought if they weren't on some amazing sale. So...utter genius imo.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: October 24, 2011, 03:30:39 PM

Gabe talks a bit about pricing models and f2p. Confirms we're lab rats in a totally awesome experiment.

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell

The company’s Steam distribution system, with more than 35 million users, is sometimes called the iTunes store of video games.

Really?  Because I call the iTunes store of video games the App store.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: October 24, 2011, 03:37:45 PM

The company’s Steam distribution system, with more than 35 million users, is sometimes called the iTunes store of video games.

Really?  Because I call the iTunes store of video games the App store.

This is the tech article equivalent of  "some people are saying"  in other words "just now, I said"
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: November 02, 2011, 06:47:31 PM

...am I the only one looking forward to AC : Revelations?

Due out in 2 weeks for consoles, 2 more for PCs.   swamp poop  Might have to actually buy a game at release for a change...

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: November 02, 2011, 10:22:33 PM

I'm psyched for it, it's just hitting at a really bad time.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #532 on: November 03, 2011, 02:14:46 PM

I would like to play it, but first I have to complete the others in the series.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #533 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:36 AM

Well, apparently Zynga is holding some of its employees over the fire for previously given out stock options. 

Early last year, as Mr. Pincus began preparing to take Zynga public, he and several other executives decided the company had doled out too many stock rights to certain people in its early days, say people familiar with the matter. The executives chose an unusual solution: They began demanding that certain employees surrender some shares or be fired.

Seems like a bunch of unethical bastards there.  I expect them to get their asses sued off in the very near future.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #534 on: December 02, 2011, 02:22:01 AM

Fans of the Marathon series can download updated versions of all three games for free on PC's, Mac, or Linux.  Hadn't really heard about the Aleph One project until now, but apparently it's been in the works for quire some time, and is an open source upgrade of the Marathon 2 engine.  The 1.0 release was apparently a couple days ago, but I haven't had any time to take a look at it myself.  Used to love the Marathon games though back when I was largely using Macs.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: December 02, 2011, 05:28:20 AM

Well, apparently Zynga is holding some of its employees over the fire for previously given out stock options. 

Early last year, as Mr. Pincus began preparing to take Zynga public, he and several other executives decided the company had doled out too many stock rights to certain people in its early days, say people familiar with the matter. The executives chose an unusual solution: They began demanding that certain employees surrender some shares or be fired.

Seems like a bunch of unethical bastards there.  I expect them to get their asses sued off in the very near future.
"Hey guys, come work for me.  We don't have a lot of money right now so I can't pay you a lot, you know start-up amirite?  But, here are some stock options so that if we make it far enough to go public you'll be set."  "Oh, we don't have money for raises this year, you know start-up amirite?  How about some more options?"

Years of underpaid labor later...

"Stock options.  You GIEV preciousss?"

I've been there on start-ups, the options paying off is the whole point.  What dicks.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #536 on: December 07, 2011, 12:59:42 PM

Executive Producer on The Last Guardian, Yoshifusa Hayama, has left Sony.  There have also been rumors that Ueda has left Sony as well but is continuing to work on the game as a freelancer.
schild
Administrator

Reply #537 on: December 07, 2011, 01:04:16 PM

That would be... absolutely disastrous.

Maybe he went to From. Oh god, please go to From Software.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #538 on: December 07, 2011, 01:12:58 PM

http://kotaku.com/the-last-guardian/

Hayama joins Rupert Murdoch-owned London studio Bossa, where he will work on the outfit's first 3D social game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #539 on: December 07, 2011, 01:13:57 PM

SOCIAL GAME?

FUCK YOU UEDA. FUCK YOU.

Oh, that's Hayama. Whatever.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: December 07, 2011, 02:58:28 PM

Executive Producer on The Last Guardian, Yoshifusa Hayama, has left Sony.  There have also been rumors that Ueda has left Sony as well but is continuing to work on the game as a freelancer.

That game is never coming out.   Heartbreak

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: December 12, 2011, 06:26:55 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:06 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #543 on: December 28, 2011, 11:08:06 AM

Dear Club Nintendo Member,

Thank you again for being an Elite Status Club Nintendo member this past year.

As you may have noticed, we misspelled one of the months on the Year-view Calendar insert, included alongside your 2012 Club Nintendo Calendar Elite Status gift. (It's the month between October and December.)

We're really embarrassed and apologize for this oversight; we always want our rewards and gifts to be special. We would like to offer you a replacement Year-view Calendar insert. In the interest of saving paper, we thought it better to ask if you want a replacement before automatically sending.

Please confirm by January 9th if you would like a replacement and we'll happily send you a new Year-view Calendar insert.

Thanks again for being a member of Club Nintendo.

We appreciate your continued feedback and loyalty.

Happy New Year!

Club Nintendo

I prefer the month of Nobember, actually.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #544 on: January 03, 2012, 06:19:10 AM

Ebay will prefer the month of Nobember 10 years from now also.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #545 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:09 PM

This is a game.  So I can put it here.
http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/2012/02/sorcerers_of_the_magic_kingdom.html

We will be in WDW Mar 2-9 and we will definitely be trying to get in on this.  Looks like an improved Kim Possible, if anyone did that in World Showcase.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:13 AM

So http://www.baldursgate.com/ went up late last year and had nothing on it.

And it now has something: the Baldur's Gate logo, looping Baldur's Gate title screen music, the opening quote from the intro, and a background of the character portraits. The page's source code also has some interesting stuff in it:

Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine

For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory.

And then... it returned. Better than it was before.

Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all.

As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life.

Apparently the page is registered to this fellow who was with Bioware and worked on the first BG, and he's been fueling speculation with some of his latest tweets.

So now I'm quite curious to see what's going to come of this.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #547 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:26 AM

I am curious, too, given it seems like there's basically no chance this dude has an actual license from EA/Bioware or WotC. They've been totally tolerant of mods in the past, but now we're talking about a website that actually is the trademark name, uses the music, art, etc.

So, either it is more levels of misdirection than would normally happen for something EA is actually doing themselves, or this dude is going to get hit with a nice fat C&D.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: February 29, 2012, 11:30:30 AM

The Baldur's Gate license lies wholly with WOTC, I believe. And if not WOTC, then it lies with Atari. I highly doubt EA will have any say in the matter.

From what I've been seeing, smart money is on this being an iOS port of BG1.

Edit: According to some copyright pages, apparently the Infinity Engine itself along with the Bioware logo are EA copyrights, but pretty much everything else was Interplay, which then went to Atari, which I assume is now in WOTC's hands since they got the license back.

If I put on my Optimist Hat, I see the "Raise Dead: Infinity Engine" line as meaning that something's been worked out on that front. But we'll see.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:36:07 AM by koro »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #549 on: February 29, 2012, 11:37:00 AM

Apparently the company this guy works for did the HD port of MDK2, so they could be doing some kind of anniversary edition HD thing.

EDIT: I can't imagine how the hell you would control 6 dudes on iOS, but I guess it could be something like that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: February 29, 2012, 11:39:26 AM

Yeah, I just read that as well. I wouldn't say no to a high-quality HD Baldur's Gate, especially if it has actually properly working multiplayer.

I'd rather see BG2 get the treatment, but I'll happily accept the first too.

EDIT: I can't imagine how the hell you would control 6 dudes on iOS, but I guess it could be something like that.

After watching my girlfriend try to play BG1 on her tablet, the answer is: not well. But according to a guy who worked at Beamdog when they got the BG license and source code from Atari and Hasbro, it seems to work better when some adjustments are made.

Edit:

Here, have a teaser trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpPU-MtBqrA

Oops, apparently it's a fake! Now this entire project's legitimacy has been cast into doubt.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:26:57 AM by koro »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #551 on: March 04, 2012, 12:17:56 PM

mariO (SMB with a Portal Gun) is now available.  Download it before it inevitably gets shut down by Nintendo and/or Valve.

Edit: Gameplay video
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: March 06, 2012, 11:05:52 PM

New SimCity (5?) Announcement Trailer

Not really close or substantial enough for its own thread yet so I'll put this here. Trying not to get too excited here since I'm sure it will be dumbed down and Origin-exclusive but SimCity was the first PC game I really got into when it first came out. I still install 4 every six months or so and can easily blow through eight hours without knowing it.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #553 on: March 06, 2012, 11:54:53 PM

I'm getting vibes of this being a mix of Sim City Societies and CitiesXL. Add Origin, and all I can do is sigh.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #554 on: March 07, 2012, 12:03:25 AM

Funny. Just last night, I was talking to a friend of mine about not playing ME3 due to it only being on Origin. I said that the only thing that could possibly get me to buy in to Origin was a good, faithful remake of SimCity, preferably around the SC2K level of complexity.

Well played, EA. Well played.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: March 07, 2012, 07:15:33 AM

That looks snazzy. I hope single player will allow you to do multiple cities/regions/whatever. Fuckamultiplayer.

schild
Administrator

Reply #556 on: March 07, 2012, 07:19:04 AM

Funny. Just last night, I was talking to a friend of mine about not playing ME3 due to it only being on Origin. I said that the only thing that could possibly get me to buy in to Origin was a good, faithful remake of SimCity, preferably around the SC2K level of complexity.

Well played, EA. Well played.
Funny because just last night I said I'll never play this because of Origin.

There is nothing that will make me install that shit.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: March 07, 2012, 12:20:08 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:04 PM

Out of sheer amusement and to hopefully make Schild's eye twitch a bit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809

The original news was that Monster Hunter Portable 3 was listed on Play.com. The subsequent carnival of stupid began when a photoshopped image from 4chan emerged, purporting to show listings for GTA: Vice City Nights, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, and Tales of Innocence R:

While a quick search of Play.com would quickly reveal that none of these other listings actually existed, somehow Eurogamer seized upon the image. Without any fact checking whatsoever, it quickly became front page news:

Joystiq saw it posted on Eurogamer and, again without any fact checking whatsoever, posted it as confirmed news as well:

In no time at all, the stupidity had gone mainstream:

Since then, Jason Schreier from Kotaku has come in demanding proof that it was a shop and it's just become absolutely hilarious. And sad. But overall just business as usual.

Even worse is that everyone refers to Eurogamer as the source and they have fantastic words such as these:

"The listing has since been yanked, but Eurogamer was able to capture a screenshot of the page. It suggests the game will carry a €39.99 (about $50) price point." -Gamespot

"Eurogamer was alerted to this by reader el_pollo_diablo, who sent us the image displayed in this story." -Eurogamer

"Sony is hosting the PlayStation Vita Game Heaven on March 9, and we have a feeling that it just might include these titles." -Joystiq

"Eurogamer was alerted to the leak by a reader, posting images of all four games listed on the site. The link to Monster Hunter 3 is still live on Play.com." -IGN

"Perhaps the most interesting news here is an HD version of action-RPG Final Fantasy Type-0, which publisher Square Enix released for PlayStation Portable in Japan last year. Although the chances that we'll see that PSP game in the U.S. or Europe seem fairly slim, an HD remake for PlayStation Vita is far more likely to make its way over here." -Kotaku

smh.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:52 PM

Holy shit.
And it's coming out on PC too?  Best news I've heard all year.

Assuming they can keep the soundtrack intact.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: