Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992890 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:45 PM

I had the opposite problem recently when interviewing people for a position - half of the candidates who confirmed for interviews never showed.  Head scratch

That is odd .. too many interviews to go to?

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #211 on: August 26, 2011, 06:21:07 AM

I might decide I don't want to interview after I have already committed, but I think it is nice to tell someone.  I'm probably different.  I also have a hard time lying in interviews, which seems to hold me back a lot.

I'm getting a lot of hits on things I do not want to do.  This has cut down a bit after I rewrote the resume to be for IT Architect instead of AIX/TSM/SAP/ORA/etc senior admin.  After poking around and having a phone interview, I find that even senior admin work is now bullshit, shlepping bits around on a schedule and other drone work.

Meanwhile, I am gradually letting go of the lower echelons of SA work in my current spot.  Instead, I am doing engineering/architect work as much as I can, including sending instructions to contractors instead of doing it my damn self, being vague with my advice and suggestions, telling people I don't have time to put out their particular fire (I don't, actually, unless they are friends or strategically important), writing process docs, telling people how things really should be done, and stroking my goatee while thinking of radical infrastructure redesigns to streamline and automate the enterprise.

So far, so good.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: August 26, 2011, 06:28:41 AM

I might decide I don't want to interview after I have already committed, but I think it is nice to tell someone.  I'm probably different.  I also have a hard time lying in interviews, which seems to hold me back a lot.
I'd rather be honest.  My difficulty is actually being honest with myself though, as I tend to drastically understate my capabilities.  At least if they contact my references they'll gush for me.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #213 on: August 26, 2011, 06:35:18 AM

I seem to switch between "No, I've never done that... or that... or that..." and "No, but how hard could it be?"  I don't know how well people react to the second one, whether it is true or not.  I think I am awesome but I don't know how to convince other people.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: August 26, 2011, 06:51:31 AM

On that I try to emphasize I've worked with a bunch of different systems over the years and I'm good at picking things up.  That's really what problem-solving in IT is about.  You may not *know* something, but you can figure it out quickly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #215 on: August 26, 2011, 07:02:35 AM

On that I try to emphasize I've worked with a bunch of different systems over the years and I'm good at picking things up.  That's really what problem-solving in IT is about.  You may not *know* something, but you can figure it out quickly.
Word.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: August 26, 2011, 07:55:45 AM

I had the opposite problem recently when interviewing people for a position - half of the candidates who confirmed for interviews never showed.  Head scratch

That is odd .. too many interviews to go to?

I guess so - if there's that many open sysadmin jobs in Houston, then maybe I need to put my resume out there...

Word.

Have you heard about the bird?  Ohhhhh, I see.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: August 26, 2011, 08:24:57 AM

Papapaoomamowmow.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: August 26, 2011, 09:59:20 AM

So now I am really, officially, going to be Sky jr. (I just passed the mandatory piss test).

Start the day after labor day.

Now to find a full time day job and I will be able to dig myself out of the debt hole I landed in from 2 years of underemployment followed by 8 months of unemployment!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: August 26, 2011, 10:07:28 AM

I find it ironic that I stopped smoking pot after I got a job that doesn't test for drugs.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #220 on: August 26, 2011, 02:51:14 PM

See, you are the type of person I would hire.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: August 26, 2011, 08:39:44 PM

Me too, but it's hard to show that on a resume that can get past HR's keyword-based cock block.

Edit: also, everyone says they learn fast, but few actually do  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:42:36 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: August 27, 2011, 05:23:57 PM

Edit: also, everyone says they learn fast, but few actually do  awesome, for real

Someone that can problem solve AND has a good work ethic is the rarest of the rare.  I hope that you find someplace that appreciates the skills you have Viin. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: August 27, 2011, 07:43:28 PM

Someone that can problem solve AND has a good work ethic is the rarest of the rare.  I hope that you find someplace that appreciates the skills you have Viin. 

Often, it all depends upon the context.

In my XP, in most corporate IT settings, at least on development/systems support side, departments have been whittled away, cheaper labor brought in (either via outsourcing or importing non-immigrant visa workers or even a famous IT contractor like scuttling experienced personnel in favor of cheaper younger workers who might possess certificates and knowledge but know little of how these systems at the company are utilized).

So you have a survivor mentality bunker set of those who are able to linger on, and they guard their "subject matter expertise" deftly, only willing to aid those that have favor with them. Others simply have to wait in queues or are thrown roadblocks.

Yes, any aspiring IT worker should be able to figure out the score and reverse-engineer without human help, but often, in these silos, even access is guarded those eager to go above and beyond thwarted.

Also, some people "learn fast" in those realms they take an inkling to, and if it's something completely foreign, without a helpful nudge here and there from a more seasoned (and willing!) professional, can end up total failures, even with all the "can do" bravado and "going the extra mile".

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: August 28, 2011, 11:49:28 AM

In most large organizations the IT department does everything it can to thwart innovation, they have ceased to become problem solvers and become the guardians of the status quo.  This isn't entirely as horrible as it sounds since I can imagine very few IT disasters worse than thousands of employees given free rain to implement their own innovative solutions.  Apparently obtaining some sort of happy medium is harder than it sounds.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #225 on: August 29, 2011, 06:11:57 AM

There is a balance between maintaining vendor support and not rolling out new tech every month.

I'm not terribly worried about teaching people things because many of them are terrible at it.  Someone who can't ever be bothered to read the documentation I sent out the day before is not a threat to my job.  Also, as far as I know, mentoring is still something employers look for, at least in senior positions.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: August 29, 2011, 07:11:40 AM

We're having fun dealing with Xerox right now. These chuckleheads aren't even reading the contract summary they walk in the door with. "Oh, you have a coin box" Yeah, maybe if you had read that before you drove an hour to tell me you can't do anything with a coin box. Then send a guy two weeks later who has to sit for five hours on his cell phone because he doesn't know what to do.

Copier still isn't properly configured, it's been a month and a half now. Sat in a corner for the first month. Four guys have worked on it.

I want to go work for Xerox. Sounds like easy money to me.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: August 29, 2011, 11:54:11 AM

* Minvaren welcomes Lantyssa to the dark side.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

More proof that mead > cookies.   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: August 29, 2011, 01:45:36 PM

Hey boss. o7

Guess my f13 reading might drop a bit. Grin

(To be fair, it's damn good mead.)

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #229 on: August 29, 2011, 03:56:25 PM

Wait.. Lant is working for Min now?

YOUR WORLDS ARE COLLIDING. DON"T YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxuYdzs4SS8

The death of F13 Lantyssa, that's what!!

Ed: seriously tho, grats Lant. I know you were worrying.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: August 29, 2011, 04:28:08 PM

The stress relief is unbelievable.  For the first time in a year I'm not fretting what the next year holds.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #231 on: August 29, 2011, 04:29:59 PM

So you make Mead now? I'm confused. That doesn't seem like IT.

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE???

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #232 on: August 29, 2011, 04:41:31 PM

Of course not.  Making mead is man's work; she's the Mead Wench.  Probably in a costume much like her avatar.  /sagenod

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: August 29, 2011, 04:53:12 PM

The stress relief is unbelievable.  For the first time in a year I'm not fretting what the next year holds.

First time I've heard the words "stress relief" involved with taking a job at a collection agency.  Unless you're drinking the mead on the clock...   awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #234 on: August 29, 2011, 05:17:13 PM

I would probably get a lot of relief if my job involved hitting people with a pipe and taking their stuff.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: August 29, 2011, 07:41:34 PM

I would probably get a lot of relief if my job involved hitting people with a pipe and taking their stuff.

Oh man, that is great.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: September 05, 2011, 12:40:51 PM

Fuck working on a resume is so awful.

THE WORST!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: September 06, 2011, 02:55:25 PM

Off to first evening as Sky Jr.

Hope I don't do something stupid!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #238 on: September 06, 2011, 03:28:05 PM

Off to first evening as Sky Jr.

Hope I don't do something stupid!

Don't burn it down. The rest is probably just gravy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: September 06, 2011, 07:09:09 PM

So yeah, the Library has a fancy "Denver International Airport" kind of book return conveyer/sorting system with RFID chips in every book. Getting my Tour tonight I lok up as soon as we get in the basement (where the sorting room is) and every 4th ceiling tile is out of place.

Apparently it "loses" small/thin children's books on occasion and people need to go spelunking in the ceiling to find them. Heh.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: September 07, 2011, 05:12:34 AM

Hey boss. o7

Guess my f13 reading might drop a bit. Grin

Grats on the new position! 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #241 on: September 07, 2011, 07:35:55 AM

I just got back from interviewing for a PRN position at the hospital across town, the director up'ed the ante, and offered me a full time and will make the pay better.  I'm gonna wait till i see the written offer before I jump to a new hospital, but it is new and has more staff.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: September 07, 2011, 07:45:11 AM

I just got back from interviewing for a PRN position at the hospital across town, the director up'ed the ante, and offered me a full time and will make the pay better.  I'm gonna wait till i see the written offer before I jump to a new hospital, but it is new and has more staff.

Which one? And congrtas on offer.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: September 07, 2011, 09:40:09 AM

So yeah, the Library has a fancy "Denver International Airport" kind of book return conveyer/sorting system with RFID chips in every book. Getting my Tour tonight I lok up as soon as we get in the basement (where the sorting room is) and every 4th ceiling tile is out of place.

Apparently it "loses" small/thin children's books on occasion and people need to go spelunking in the ceiling to find them. Heh.
Welcome to library tech (well, really most tech imo). An expensive solution that ends up being a giant pain in the ass, but you're married to because it was Expensive, so Deal With It. I bet someone went to a seminar (aka sales pitch) and thought it Looked Cool. And buzz words were unleashed like a motherfuckin' lead farmer.

Do you get to work with the public or is it all staff support. The staff support tends to be overall less stressful, but helping the public is way more rewarding. I can't count how many people in a dozen years I've helped connect with distant family, get a job, start a business, defend themselves in court, etc. Wonder what they'll do when we shut down.

Not to mention the pure fun stuff like being able to turn people on to new music, games and books.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15:37 AM

I will mainly be doing staff/backend support but I will be cross trained in the basics to help patrons if they stop me as I am passing through (or if they need help when busy).

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: