Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992885 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3745 on: November 13, 2019, 12:37:31 PM

I was certainly on-edge when the buyout was announced, not least because our former CEO couched it as a "merger or partnership" in the announcement party and only later when I spoke to the heads of the holding company did I get someone explicitly saying it was a buyout. I was mostly surprised because not 2 months ago, they'd given me a pretty decent raise, the first actual raise I'd been given in forever that wasn't just a COL adjustment or a "restore me back to the level I was when you cut my pay instead of laying me off" thing. So I thought these guys had earned a little trust, not least because they had been more transparent and forthcoming in the 10 months since they'd bought the company than my former CEO was in a fucking decade.

The severance is decent I guess, I'm not really in a place to judge that - the only other time I got laid off, I didn't get severance. I'm fighting with them now to change it so that they explicitly state on the severance package that they waived a non-compete I signed in 2009 - I'm probably being dickish just because I'm so pissed. The non-compete has a waiver clause in case I get laid off for economic reasons or restructuring of staff and they've said it explicitly applies to this case. I just want that in writing.

YAY FOR VULTURE CAPITALISM. Fucking holding companies in their earhole.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3746 on: November 13, 2019, 12:53:31 PM

I'm not sure how things work in the States but up here I'd consult a lawyer before signing anything. My sister-in-law got a payout twice as big as any of her colleagues because her lawyer knew when she was being ripped off.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3747 on: November 13, 2019, 02:00:46 PM

I was certainly on-edge when the buyout was announced, not least because our former CEO couched it as a "merger or partnership" in the announcement party and only later when I spoke to the heads of the holding company did I get someone explicitly saying it was a buyout. I was mostly surprised because not 2 months ago, they'd given me a pretty decent raise, the first actual raise I'd been given in forever that wasn't just a COL adjustment or a "restore me back to the level I was when you cut my pay instead of laying me off" thing. So I thought these guys had earned a little trust, not least because they had been more transparent and forthcoming in the 10 months since they'd bought the company than my former CEO was in a fucking decade.

The severance is decent I guess, I'm not really in a place to judge that - the only other time I got laid off, I didn't get severance. I'm fighting with them now to change it so that they explicitly state on the severance package that they waived a non-compete I signed in 2009 - I'm probably being dickish just because I'm so pissed. The non-compete has a waiver clause in case I get laid off for economic reasons or restructuring of staff and they've said it explicitly applies to this case. I just want that in writing.

YAY FOR VULTURE CAPITALISM. Fucking holding companies in their earhole.

Sounds like a private equity style deal. The company bought yours for one of two reasons. One, they saw what you did as competition they wanted to eliminate through acquisition. Two, they saw your company as having unrealized value that could be unlocked by cutting overhead and turning it around for possible sale in the open market, or mined for the intellectual property rather than the staff, which they already had cheaper elsewhere.

Sorry to hear about it, but I think you'll find that this market is very wide-open for decent labor. I would make sure you hear people out if you're getting several interviews because you're holding a lot of advantage right now. There's no reason to jump at the first thing if you have severance.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3748 on: November 13, 2019, 02:26:47 PM

So the guvment approved a contract extension for my team but somehow didn't have the budget to pay for it.  Unless some 11th hour funding happens looks like we may all be cut in January, time to see how good my company is at placing me on another project.  I just needed this gig to last another year and a half ;(
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3749 on: November 13, 2019, 07:29:50 PM

A bit late, but looks like I'll be moving to New Delhi next summer for my next assignment.

Plus - looks like I'll still be able to play ice hockey, though perhaps not on a full-size rink. But hey - better than zero hockey.

Minus - I might suffocate on the "air."

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3750 on: November 20, 2019, 09:27:21 AM

You sure know how to pick them.

BIG NEWS! We're finally ditching Lotus Sametime at work. Hopefully Notes is right around the corner. Fucking demon spawn programs.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3751 on: November 20, 2019, 09:46:19 AM

Did IBM sell Lotus yet?

If not, I think you are stuck on Notes/Domino for a while yet :D

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3752 on: November 20, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

People have built mission critical databases in Lotus Notes. Recently too. Morons.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3753 on: November 21, 2019, 01:43:45 AM

Lotus Notes is still a thing?  Lol.

A bit late, but looks like I'll be moving to New Delhi next summer for my next assignment.

Plus - looks like I'll still be able to play ice hockey, though perhaps not on a full-size rink. But hey - better than zero hockey.

When do you get to start going to cool places?  Jesus H. Christ, man.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3754 on: November 21, 2019, 06:12:35 AM

Notes has, in fact, been sold but is still heavily used. I have a video screen with a recruiter from Calendly today and I'm going to see what face she makes when I tell her I use Notes.

I logged into my job-hunting email inbox today for the first time in literal years, only to find Google has been hounding me. But who the fuck wants to live in Sunnyvale? Sounds awful.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3755 on: November 21, 2019, 06:47:17 AM

I logged into my job-hunting email inbox today for the first time in literal years, only to find Google has been hounding me. But who the fuck wants to live in Sunnyvale? Sounds awful.

I read that as Sunnydale and immediately pictured the Hellmouth.  awesome, for real

I have started the job search in earnest now as the wife is getting anxious about her job since there is talk of getting rid of the division she is working for through her job agency. She wants me to be the point person to get a job first and she can find something around the area I am working. So basically, I find a job, we move and then she finds a job. Biting the bullet and cobbling a resume together was stressful given my blue collar roots - I come from a very keep your head down and accept what is given to you culture. Starting to break out of that, but it is not easy. Oddly, I found writing my cover letters to be easier than the resume for some reason. Thankfully the wife has a ton of experience with resume workshops and revising other people's resumes so it hasn't been a complete slog. Now to see what shake out.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3756 on: November 22, 2019, 03:29:53 AM

Notes has, in fact, been sold but is still heavily used. I have a video screen with a recruiter from Calendly today and I'm going to see what face she makes when I tell her I use Notes.

Oh don't worry, you almost certainly wouldn't be able to afford living there.   awesome, for real

While it's certainly not a place I'd particularly like to move to, I am pretty certain it's nicer than any spot in the entire state of Klanrally Georgia.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3757 on: November 22, 2019, 04:00:12 AM

Oh that's right, isn't Yeg from aroundabouts Atlanta?  That is easily the shittiest city I have ever been in.  And I have been in Athens (Greece).

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3758 on: November 22, 2019, 06:08:21 AM

Well I have heard back from about 1/3 of the places I've applied to (almost all rejections) but I've had a couple of first round interviews now with some more scheduled next week. One turned me down because they felt I was overqualified and were worried whether I'd stay long. Weirdly the other one sounds more junior (definitely lower pay) but they're pretty keen. The job does sound like it will have wider exposure to different areas of project management and working with clients in different industries though so might be a better long term base. I've got an interview with a civil service department next week as well, again a higher salary but with the downsides of working in a government department generally alongside all the Brexit bullshit (specifically I'd be working in export finance). The one that's keen has been a bit opaque in terms of salary bands though and Glassdoor hasn't been much help since the range listed for the same roles goes from about £18k to £47k reported.

I've got a load of applications into management consultancies as well but have only heard back from a couple. From what I've heard it's a very long process in terms of getting back to you and outside hires are a long shot so I guess I'll just leave those in the background and concentrate on one of these upcoming ones.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3759 on: November 22, 2019, 06:52:56 AM

Oh that's right, isn't Yeg from aroundabouts Atlanta?  That is easily the shittiest city I have ever been in.  And I have been in Athens (Greece).

My guess is you haven't seen most other southern cities then. Atlanta is a shining jewel compared to Birmingham, Shreveport, Jackson, or Columbia.

Terracotta Army

Reply #3760 on: November 22, 2019, 09:15:23 AM

My guess is you haven't seen most other southern cities then. Atlanta is a shining jewel compared to Birmingham, Shreveport, Jackson, or Columbia.

I concur. I rather liked Atlanta. And if my wife gets her way, we might end up there. She really wants to work for NCR down there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3761 on: November 22, 2019, 01:40:56 PM

Atlanta traffic beats out all of those in level of badness. Though Charlotte can now give Atlanta a run for it's money in fucked-up traffic. Though everyone in Charlotte seems hiring, desperate for employees.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3762 on: November 22, 2019, 08:32:36 PM

Hey now, Jackson is a fine little shithole, and I'd prefer to live here over Atlanta despite the utter fucking disaster that are our roads. Not that anyone in Jackson drives any better than the psychos in Atlanta either but... man, I really fucking hate Atlanta.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3763 on: November 23, 2019, 04:00:45 AM

I meant ‘cities of a certain size’, and none of those others are on my mental list.  Have been to Shreveport and a bunch of shitholes back when I was stationed at Fort Polk.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3764 on: November 25, 2019, 06:38:40 AM

I meant ‘cities of a certain size’, and none of those others are on my mental list.  Have been to Shreveport and a bunch of shitholes back when I was stationed at Fort Polk.

I'd argue Atlanta is better than Houston, Philly, Tampa, Orlando, Detroit, Cleveland, and those ilk. It's certainly not better than NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, and that ilk.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3765 on: November 25, 2019, 06:42:15 AM

Hey now, Jackson is a fine little shithole, and I'd prefer to live here over Atlanta despite the utter fucking disaster that are our roads. Not that anyone in Jackson drives any better than the psychos in Atlanta either but... man, I really fucking hate Atlanta.

I mean, don't yall still have one of the highest murder rates in the country too? Just move to Atlanta, geez.  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3766 on: November 25, 2019, 09:12:33 AM

I mean, don't yall still have one of the highest murder rates in the country too? Just move to Atlanta, geez.  awesome, for real

I'm not sure, it wouldn't surprise me. Of course, I think a bigger problem is people getting swallowed up in potholes and water mains breaking.  why so serious?

Terracotta Army

Reply #3767 on: November 25, 2019, 09:52:45 AM

I'm not sure, it wouldn't surprise me. Of course, I think a bigger problem is people getting swallowed up in potholes and water mains breaking.  why so serious?

Not a problem... it's a feature: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/us/bus-sinkhole-pittsburgh-trnd/index.html

I mean, it's an opportunity: https://patch.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/pittsburgh-sinkhole-bus-holiday-ornaments-available

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3768 on: November 25, 2019, 07:38:24 PM

When do you get to start going to cool places?  Jesus H. Christ, man.
[/quote]

Glib answer: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Real answer: No one really asked, but you're getting it anyway. Putting aside that "cool places" can be a bit subjective, I'm guessing...after I finish my tour in India in 2023...maybe? It will depend on if/when I get promoted, what's available, what makes sense for my career, and whether there's a language requirement and if there's a possibility to add in the language time. Normally folks get a "cool place" one of their first two tours through a function called "equity" - if the first post is posh, you're going somewhere tough the second time. But if your first is tough, you get closer to first pick for your second tour. My first tour was DC, which has no equity, so pickings were a bit slim for my second tour (though I did bid on Tokyo). However, after your first two tours, there's no more formal equity - it's just a function of where you can convince the bureaucracy to send you. I was newly-promoted coming out of my second, so I was basically a newbie mid-level officer, and it behooved me to pick up a bit of Spanish, so...Monterrey ended up being the best of a lot of not-fantastic options. And then Egypt (because I wanted to) and DC again (because I needed to, for my own sake). There's also a slight surplus of officers at my level, so onward positions in nice places is extremely competitive.

For comparison's sake, I believe Teleku's specialty has a significant deficit, with a lot of boomers looking to retire soon - it's basically a buyer's market, and with greatly different variables at play. He doesn't have to worry about language requirements, but I won't speak too much for him since I'm not terribly versed in how assignments work for him. He can respond if he likes.

I'd argue Atlanta is better than Houston, Philly, Tampa, Orlando, Detroit, Cleveland, and those ilk. It's certainly not better than NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, and that ilk.

At minimum, ATL is not better than Philadelphia, though may be better than Boston. I can't speak to Houston, but I'd grant you Tampa and Cleveland. And it's 100% better than Orlando (which is not a real city to me), and probably edges Detroit. Atlanta does have decent food, though, and it's not expensive like DC. I think I'm just generally predisposed against southern cities, since they often don't have much of a urban core. For instance, I've been to Greensboro, and was told it was a city, but I couldn't find it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3769 on: November 26, 2019, 02:56:57 PM

Oh that's right, isn't Yeg from aroundabouts Atlanta?  That is easily the shittiest city I have ever been in.

Never been to the aptly-named Pittsburgh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3770 on: November 26, 2019, 03:00:37 PM

NCR does have that fancy new building in Midtown.

I've gotten a couple job emails about companies hiring their first SRE so they can operationalize their application. If you like angry adventures, I bet you can get $150k out of it.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3771 on: November 26, 2019, 10:04:48 PM

Oh that's right, isn't Yeg from aroundabouts Atlanta?  That is easily the shittiest city I have ever been in.

Never been to the aptly-named Pittsburgh, I see.

No, but I did once drive past Buffalo, and I think my memory has been trying to block it.  I do seem to recall thinking they could use it for the next Fallout game, as-is.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3772 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:07 AM

I hate Philidelphia.

Buffalo is barely a city.
Terracotta Army

Reply #3773 on: November 27, 2019, 06:47:04 AM

I hate Philidelphia.

Buffalo is barely a city.

Agreed. Philly is one of the worst cities I have been to on multiple occasions.

Wife and I just got back from a weekend at Niagara Falls. Drove thru Buffalo and barely noticed it.

On topic, I got a hit on one of my applications I put in last week. Strangely, they want me to fill out what looks to be the interviewer questionnaire. It is set up like a performance eval with a bunch of topics and a box to write down reactions. It's a little off-putting and screams they don't have the interview staff to actually do that work so they are pushing it off on the candidates. I am not sure why they just didn't include it on the application on their website if that was the case.

I'm not enthusiastic about this one, but it is in Colorado which is a spot I'd like to end up...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3774 on: November 27, 2019, 07:02:10 AM

They seem desperate and overworked. Ask for a lot of money.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3775 on: November 27, 2019, 10:43:07 AM

For comparison's sake, I believe Teleku's specialty has a significant deficit, with a lot of boomers looking to retire soon - it's basically a buyer's market, and with greatly different variables at play. He doesn't have to worry about language requirements, but I won't speak too much for him since I'm not terribly versed in how assignments work for him. He can respond if he likes.
Yeah, pretty much.  Because of Tillerson not hiring anybody (and the department hiring below attrition for my job since I joined), on this last bid assignment cycle there were 25 positions globally at my grade that could not be filled for lack of physical people to put in them.  On top of that, positions for diplomats can involve a lot of politics on who gets it, where as I just need to convince management at a post to pick me over others.  And finally, unless you are trying to get promoted and go up the ranks fast (I am not), I don't need to take strategic bids back to DC or a stretch job to a higher grade in a shithole (like you do).  I'm good enough I know I'll eventually get promoted.

So all that means I'm fairly certain Russia will have been the worst shithole I will ever have served in my entire career.   awesome, for real

People tell me Sri Lanka is pretty cool though.  Will probably do a trip there sometime next year.  Can hope up to Dehli to say hello as well!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3776 on: November 28, 2019, 04:29:26 AM

So it's evaluation season and I'm thinking hard about asking for a raise.
How does one go about such a talk? Should I even ask?
I've had on average a 7% YoY salary increase over the last 5+ years with one bigger bump (12%) due to a promotion. Adjusted for inflation I got about 5% YoY. The thing is that this is my first job out of Uni where I started as a Junior so the starting salary was just that. I'm in Machine Learning/AI R&D so I know that demand for people in that area has grown significantly over the last years.
I'm currently in the "I like my job, I get paid decently but I would probably make more somewhere else" line of thinking where I also just have no idea how true that is. I've had some semi-serious interest by various (major) companies on LinkedIn but I never got as far as talking money as I stopped when they brought up I'd have to move for the job. It's a US company I'm working for so also any increases would obviously go through our "People" department there...

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3777 on: November 28, 2019, 07:53:17 AM

Try to figure out first what other people with your position are getting. With jobs that are in high demand it may be possible that people with less experience than you are getting more money than you because of the competition.

As for getting salary information, Glassdoor has a DB, like this for a "Machine Learning Engineer" title:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-machine-learning-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,39.htm

There's also a DB of salaries of people working here on H1B Visas (which can skew the salaries but is interesting nonetheless):

https://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=&job=MACHINE+LEARNING+ENGINEER&city=&year=
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3778 on: November 28, 2019, 08:27:48 AM

The other obvious one is spend a bit of time applying and see if companies are happy to interview you, if you can go through the interview process and get an offer. If they need you to travel for a physical interview that might be a bit much so maybe get them to give you a serious salary band. That way of doing thing is definitely more work but you've got data to take to any raise discussions and 'X company has offered me 20% more than you're paying' is the kind of thing that will get a manager scrambling and HR likely to approve things if they want to keep you.

Also since demand is growing so quickly in that area there's a very good chance people newly coming out are getting higher salaries relative to you because companies are now recruiting for a lot more positions. Even if you like the company, it sounds like you're in a solid position with actual, honest to god salary raises YoY, there's still a good chance you're underpaid for what you could be getting somewhere else. It's also quite possible your managers have no idea whether or not that's the case and they're probably not working to see if that's proactively.

Basically check Glassdoor, etc. as suggested. If you're getting below that for your geography, the strongest play you would have is actually validating it by getting an offer from someone else.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3779 on: November 29, 2019, 04:33:59 PM

Every raise you get is based upon what you currently make., easiest way to break this chain is to switch employers.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: