Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:45:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992866 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3115 on: February 09, 2017, 09:12:13 AM

F13ers are allowed to move to Austin. Anyone else can bugger right off.

Well, now that you mention it....

Husband's friend lives in Austin, tells the husband that it's a great place, we should think about it.  I'm certainly not adverse to the idea of leaving Illinois, that's for sure.  Did a quick look on Indeed for project coordinator positions in Austin, found more than a page worth so that's something.  But no nothing about the city or the areas that are good to live in, which suburbs are better, transportation, etc.  Other than wiki or looking at the city's home page online, any resources?  Because one of these days, the husband will take me seriously when I tell him to look in other cities for a damn job.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3116 on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:26 PM

I'm talking to company about a work-from-home job. Sounds great, but I'm not sure I can handle being in my house for 7 days a week. Has anyone here used coworking spaces or "rented" desks in shared workspaces? How was it? Worth the money?

- Viin
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3117 on: February 10, 2017, 06:35:34 AM

I'm talking to company about a work-from-home job. Sounds great, but I'm not sure I can handle being in my house for 7 days a week. Has anyone here used coworking spaces or "rented" desks in shared workspaces? How was it? Worth the money?

Depends entirely on the workspace and your preferences, really. There's coworking spaces where you basically get your own room or can get a desk in "silent/working zone" with "boxes" where you can go for telcos etc. Then there's the open spaces which can be quite chaotic depending on how many startups are in there.
All serious coworking spaces will however allow you to do a tour and even trial times for free/reduced rates, so I'd just look around what's available in your region and try out what feels right. If it's worth the money again depends on you. If you don't want to be "stuck" at home and otherwise don't get out much other than for work then yes, you'll probably want to view the rent as an investment towards your mental health.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
schild
Administrator

Reply #3118 on: February 10, 2017, 06:59:40 AM

You'd be surprised by how easy it is to adjust to working from home.

F13ers are allowed to move to Austin. Anyone else can bugger right off.

Well, now that you mention it....

Husband's friend lives in Austin, tells the husband that it's a great place, we should think about it.  I'm certainly not adverse to the idea of leaving Illinois, that's for sure.  Did a quick look on Indeed for project coordinator positions in Austin, found more than a page worth so that's something.  But no nothing about the city or the areas that are good to live in, which suburbs are better, transportation, etc.  Other than wiki or looking at the city's home page online, any resources?  Because one of these days, the husband will take me seriously when I tell him to look in other cities for a damn job.

The appeal of Austin neighborhoods depends solely on your income. Contrary to popular opinion, the traffic here is manageable. Sure a couple highways suck but depending on what you like doing getting around isn't really that bad. I'm on the east side permanently now and I can get up north during rush hour taking back roads with little effort. Basically, don't worry about what so much as the "how much."
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3119 on: February 10, 2017, 08:21:39 AM

Depends entirely on the workspace and your preferences, really. There's coworking spaces where you basically get your own room or can get a desk in "silent/working zone" with "boxes" where you can go for telcos etc. Then there's the open spaces which can be quite chaotic depending on how many startups are in there.
All serious coworking spaces will however allow you to do a tour and even trial times for free/reduced rates, so I'd just look around what's available in your region and try out what feels right. If it's worth the money again depends on you. If you don't want to be "stuck" at home and otherwise don't get out much other than for work then yes, you'll probably want to view the rent as an investment towards your mental health.

Thanks! I did see a few offered a couple of trial days at their locations, I'll give them a whirl.   There's a few that have membership options that let you grab a desk at any of their locations, not just in Denver but in other major cities too - that could be good, since I'll be traveling around when I'm not at home. Plus free coffee and beer? Hmm.

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3120 on: February 10, 2017, 08:50:36 AM

Does anyone think Austin traffic is bad?  Well, I suppose some people do, but just google a bit and that will be cleared up.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3121 on: February 10, 2017, 09:15:06 AM

Everyone thinks the traffic they live in is bad.  I had a process review engagement in Evansville, IN a few weeks ago, population 200k.  One of the principals apologized for being late due to "heavy traffic."  Wut?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3122 on: February 10, 2017, 12:13:38 PM

Mmhmm.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3123 on: February 10, 2017, 06:43:12 PM

I would be like: "So, how many hours a day do you spend in the car?"

Then look deep into the eyes.

I don't know why I thought it was weird that I got a LinkedIn recruitment message from LinkedIn, but it felt weird.  I mean, what else would they use?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3124 on: February 11, 2017, 03:44:54 AM

Microsoft Teams.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3125 on: February 11, 2017, 01:26:02 PM

Amazon must be desperate. First time I've gotten approached by them outside of back channel stuff. I don't really fit there at this point in my life.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #3126 on: February 11, 2017, 03:05:27 PM

Having now lived in New England, I'll take bad traffic and good roads over shit roads and mediocre traffic. Fuck new england.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3127 on: February 13, 2017, 07:05:00 AM

Amazon must be desperate.

As far as I can tell, yes.  Dread Pirate Bezos is hurting for crew in his fleet.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3128 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:43 PM

Well, his play hard work harder (as in harder than death camps) motto is catching up with him and potential talent
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3129 on: March 16, 2017, 10:02:26 AM

Friend reached-out to me and asked if I'd be interested in taking a CAD/ BIM/ Tech position at Universal in Florida. I just took a new position here in January, but it's tempting.

Downside: Have to live in Orlando
Upside: Don't have to live in Cincinnati...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3130 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:20 AM

That's a tough one.  How is Universal as an employer?

Also, if you do get it, I'm going to ask for an employee discount.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3131 on: March 16, 2017, 12:47:28 PM

How is Universal as an employer?
Family member used to work for them out in Hollywood, they were a typical corporate drama-fest ala Dilbert but with better benefits and perks compared to other places.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3132 on: March 16, 2017, 01:28:10 PM

Tell me more about these low-drama workplaces. why so serious?

I became Dilbert over a decade ago.  <thisisfine.jpg>

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3133 on: March 16, 2017, 05:56:12 PM

Work for a national lab or a major research university.  Our level of drama is completely different ;-)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3134 on: March 17, 2017, 04:09:35 AM

"Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3135 on: March 17, 2017, 12:38:55 PM

I'm not smart enough or academic enough to work in those places.  Also I bet the pay is shit.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3136 on: April 28, 2017, 08:32:49 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3137 on: April 28, 2017, 12:05:31 PM

Error.

An error occurred while processing your request.
Fixing webcode?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3138 on: April 28, 2017, 02:14:47 PM

"Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."
Heart

That made me laugh WAY harder than I should admit to. 

Thanks!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3139 on: April 28, 2017, 03:05:13 PM

Error.

An error occurred while processing your request.
Fixing webcode?

Nope, that one is on someone else.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3140 on: June 14, 2017, 01:09:24 PM

Why does Verizon want Yahoo!?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3141 on: June 14, 2017, 01:47:35 PM

They think owning the content will make them more money, with the content running over their pipes. (See removal of net neutrality for more reasons). They now own AOL and Yahoo. (Both to be run as a single unit by AOLs Tim Armstrong).

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3142 on: June 14, 2017, 01:48:55 PM

Same reason they bought AOL -- eyeballs for ads.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3143 on: June 14, 2017, 01:53:09 PM

Yahoo remains one of the top internet info providers doesn't it? I don't know if that's changed since I first heard it 4-5 years ago.  Control the content, control the world.  "Oh, sorry AT&T, you've got to pay more." Same thing, Sprint, Comcast, Spectrum, etc.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3144 on: June 14, 2017, 01:59:31 PM

Yahoo has a lot of software patents, especially in the ad space iirc. That plus the ad platform was why MS was trying to buy them a few years back.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3145 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:30 AM

Also a good point. Lots of reasons to buy them unrelated to the goofy name and keeping the company open.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3146 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:19 PM

Didn't know about the ad patents.  That's basically all anyone does to make money on the intertubes.  Including us.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3147 on: August 03, 2017, 01:47:42 PM

Do any of you want to get a job here?  Of course you do.  I need some fucking help.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3148 on: August 03, 2017, 03:27:35 PM

Do any of you want to get a job here?  Of course you do.  I need some fucking help.

I will give you two reasons why no:

A) No way am I moving to Atlanta.
B) Fuck IBM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3149 on: August 03, 2017, 03:51:23 PM

awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: