Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:27:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1000097 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1470 on: May 29, 2014, 06:35:33 AM

Yeah I'm amazed some people are employed. TIES!?!? FUCK YOU AND YOUR SOCIETY!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1471 on: May 29, 2014, 06:47:28 AM

When I said there are worse things about jobs than ties, I do realize that this is a subjective area.  I figure most people will choose money over mild strangulation (buy some new shirts, fatty).

It's fine, though.  If everyone had my sensibilities, I'd have a lot more competition in my job space.  It would be like if I was a pro athlete and I was complaining that the rest of the league wasn't working hard enough.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1472 on: May 29, 2014, 07:14:35 AM

I think the icing on the cake was Schild saying he would rather suck dick than wear a tie.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1473 on: May 29, 2014, 07:23:10 AM

Yeah I'm amazed some people are employed. TIES!?!? FUCK YOU AND YOUR SOCIETY!

Is this where we say that despite hanging with them on the interwebs and recognizing many clearly have sound technical skills I wouldn't hire half the board based on inputs here? No? Ok.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1474 on: May 29, 2014, 07:50:57 AM

I've come to realize by posting here that IT is completely different than any other business industry I work with. That's fine, because I think we've lowered the expectations bar for their appearance.

That being said, first guy on the chopping block when shit hits the fan is going to be the IT guy dressed in flip flops with a shitty attitude.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1475 on: May 29, 2014, 10:48:43 AM

It's true because I've seen it happen.  A lot.  While dress doesn't REALLY affect work directly, slop clothes are symptoms of core traits that usually also manifest in slop work as well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1476 on: May 29, 2014, 10:57:46 AM

That being said, first guy on the chopping block when shit hits the fan is going to be the IT guy dressed in flip flops with a shitty attitude.

You don't say ?

I wore ties until I hit Director.  I haven't worn one since, even though the jobs changed.  I still find the turn this thread has taken to be odd, but hey ho.

I would be really, really, really fucking annoyed if someone was to take the idea that I didn't wear a tie to be any indication of my fucking Godlike skills, however.  I don't think many people here think like that anymore, or if they do, they're usually more worried about the decision to be buried beside the spouse or not and why the kids never call anymore and just where did the slippers go ??

You know.  Accountants.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1477 on: May 29, 2014, 11:10:14 AM

You can be great at your job and dress however you like. That being said, there's a pretty standard correlation between appearance and work. Fat workers tend to be less productive and cost more, sloppy dressers tend to advance slower, and some studies have shown that dressing professionally has psychological effects of boosting your attention and output.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1478 on: May 29, 2014, 11:21:10 AM

I've come to realize by posting here that IT is completely different than any other business industry I work with. That's fine, because I think we've lowered the expectations bar for their appearance.

That guy in the flip-flops with the shitty attitude is also the only person who knows how to maintain the critical infrastructure. I.e. he has job security for life awesome, for real
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1479 on: May 29, 2014, 11:22:50 AM

I don't want to get dragged into anything, but my point isn't that a tie makes you look good.  Rather I say that if you want to play ball then you have to wear the uniform.  Maybe the uniform is slacks and a polo shirt, maybe it's a tiedye tee with cheeto stains, doesn't matter.  If you aren't willing to wear the uniform, that's a indicator that you won't fit on the team.

That guy in the flip-flops with the shitty attitude is also the only person who knows how to maintain the critical infrastructure. I.e. he has job security for life awesome, for real

Man, I wish that world still existed. awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1480 on: May 29, 2014, 11:51:00 AM

People at the top of a regular business don't understand or value that at all. In my experience, people who think they have job security because "I'm the only one who can run this!" They usually don't.

It doesn't matter if they were the only ones keeping things afloat from IT to payroll to AP to shipping. If it's an admin process, the top brass will cut you in a heartbeat, and let the chips fall where they may.

Good companies don't silo people and also don't allow people to command one aspect of the business. That's why company rotations can be so valuable.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1481 on: May 29, 2014, 01:24:57 PM

I assumed Trippy was being facetious.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1482 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11:13 PM

My sarcasmeter has been broken for years.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1483 on: May 29, 2014, 02:23:46 PM

Welp, to bring this back to actual job themes, I passed my Spanish exam today, so I can now move on with my life and prepare to move to Monterrey in a few weeks.

I'll be sure to say hello to all the narcos for everyone...or rather, have the entry level folks do that.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1484 on: May 29, 2014, 06:41:45 PM

I assumed Trippy was being facetious.

I didn't since I still hear it as a common utterance. But then, as Twain said, Cincinnati has always been 20 years behind.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1485 on: June 03, 2014, 04:59:25 AM

We were just informed at work tonight (graveyard shift, yay) that instead of the already-shite work schedule we'd been working under all year (work five days, then work six days, except when we get scheduled on weekends we're supposed to have off, which was almost every week), we're now going to be alternating between working six days, then seven days, giving us all of two Sundays off every month, probably 'til Thanksgiving.

I desperately need to find a new job.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1486 on: June 03, 2014, 06:55:14 AM

Yes, you do.  What hours ?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1487 on: June 03, 2014, 07:10:52 AM

I had to wear a tie and a school uniform when I was a little kid.  I hated it SO SO SO much.  Especially the tie.  Luckily, in third grade I got into a bit of trouble and the school and my mother had a huge argument and she was told not to enroll me again.  My family was always having fights with the church.  They apologised not long after and told her they'd take me back, but she said no.  Thankfully.  I hate nuns, too.  Sorry if some of you are nuns.

I think suits and ties are silly for men to work in, too, unless they like the look themselves.  I think people should be as comfy as possible when they work but probably not mostly naked. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1488 on: June 03, 2014, 07:58:25 AM

In my experience, its usually the sharply dressed marketing and sales people who get shitcanned first when things go sour, long before IT.   awesome, for real 

Welp, to bring this back to actual job themes, I passed my Spanish exam today, so I can now move on with my life and prepare to move to Monterrey in a few weeks.

I'll be sure to say hello to all the narcos for everyone...or rather, have the entry level folks do that.
Awesome, congrats man!  You should have fun down there, narcos and all.  Also, I imagine your well and ready to get away from FSI and Oakwood life, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1489 on: June 03, 2014, 08:41:01 AM

If you want to get back on track, my department is hiring for a Web Developer/Content Writer, if anyone wants to move to BC.

Not a high end job, but its a good company and you get to live in BC. Requirements include Joomla, CSS, HTML5, PHP, Java, and SQL. And Razor - whatever the hell that is.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1490 on: June 03, 2014, 09:48:04 AM

In my experience, its usually the sharply dressed marketing and sales people who get shitcanned first when things go sour, long before IT.   awesome, for real 

The marketing and sales force is a revolving door at any well-run place. If they're competent and aren't leaving on their own after 3-4 years you're paying them too much or made their life far too cushy.  I'm mercenary in my dealings with companies but they make me look positively loyal.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1491 on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:20 PM

The marketing and sales force is a revolving door at any well-run place. If they're competent and aren't leaving on their own after 3-4 years you're paying them too much or made their life far too cushy.  I'm mercenary in my dealings with companies but they make me look positively loyal.

Yep they are mercs and they are paid to be mercs.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1492 on: June 03, 2014, 04:01:40 PM

Yes, you do.  What hours ?

What hours do I work now? 11 PM - 7 AM, with a 30-minute commute each way.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1493 on: June 03, 2014, 05:51:51 PM

Better than wearing a suit every day.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1494 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:52 PM

I would rather be in a suit than working in a 90-100+ degree Fahrenheit factory floor, standing on my feet for 7.5 hours a night with my only break being a 30-minute lunch, working 6-7 days a week.

For all of $10 an hour, and a $.50/hour third shift premium that the company can't even bother paying you all of.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1495 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33:11 PM

I would consider that a weight loss regimen. So I could fit into a nicer suit.

Always look on the bright side of life. Doo doo. dooo doo doo doo. doo.

doo doo
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1496 on: June 04, 2014, 04:34:32 AM

It's less of a weight-loss regimen and more of a "how badly can you fuck your back up by 35?" regimen.

From the amount of physically fit, active youngish men I work around who all have back pain to some degree or other, the answer is usually "pretty badly".
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1497 on: June 04, 2014, 06:50:17 AM

Yes, I'm going to reiterate the information you already know.

You need a new job.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1498 on: June 04, 2014, 05:07:58 PM

For my birthday, I just got a House Stark T-Shirt, a Batman T-Shirt, an 'internet box' T-Shirt (from the IT crowd skit) and an amazing Jimi Hendrix T-Shirt. They are all going to be worn to work. Noone cares what the IT dude wears.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1499 on: June 04, 2014, 05:12:57 PM

I've rather successfully converted my department to "no ties while hanging around the office" by basically not caring that I was one of the very few not wearing a tie all the time. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1500 on: June 04, 2014, 06:12:18 PM

In my previous job there was exactly one guy in an office of some ~200 people who wore a tie to work. Every day.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1501 on: June 04, 2014, 07:03:37 PM

Update:  soooo, I write this now from Washington, DC.   I got called up last minute for a pretty awesome Dept. of Energy paid internship.  Had to friggin scramble out of Tennessee and pack up a large chunk of my life (i.e. my bags are mostly computer gear) to be in DC the next day (last week).  Been hectic, but a fun ride.  Great energy here, as usual.

Anyways, it amps up my resume as well as my transcripts so I should be able to parlay this into some more scholarship money and yet more internships; whilst here I grow my network substantially.  I've already met quite a few people that could change a life with the snap of a finger.

PhaseIII is in August, wherein I attempt to leave the fuckstupid confines of soFla for good. (errr, at least until I'm making a good buck again)

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1502 on: June 04, 2014, 07:20:42 PM

Awesome, sounds like you've landed a good gig for the summer.

- Viin
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1503 on: June 04, 2014, 07:23:06 PM

Good luck!  Here's to lots of finger snapping in your general direction!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1504 on: June 04, 2014, 10:26:13 PM

Update:  soooo, I write this now from Washington, DC.   I got called up last minute for a pretty awesome Dept. of Energy paid internship.  Had to friggin scramble out of Tennessee and pack up a large chunk of my life (i.e. my bags are mostly computer gear) to be in DC the next day (last week).  Been hectic, but a fun ride.  Great energy here, as usual.

Anyways, it amps up my resume as well as my transcripts so I should be able to parlay this into some more scholarship money and yet more internships; whilst here I grow my network substantially.  I've already met quite a few people that could change a life with the snap of a finger.

PhaseIII is in August, wherein I attempt to leave the fuckstupid confines of soFla for good. (errr, at least until I'm making a good buck again)
Message me, I know one of the most connected people when it comes to the department of energy. In fact, I rented a room in her house for 18 months.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: