Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992971 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1435 on: May 21, 2014, 09:51:15 AM

Dressing up is cool. Wearing a tie is cool. With a jacket and vest is even cooler.

Every girl crazy 'bout it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1436 on: May 21, 2014, 10:21:29 AM

I don't even own a suit anymore.  I haven't seen anyone here wear a tie in a very long time.  Our high level VPs don't even wear them, although they'll occasionally bust out the suit and then ditch it in the wake of our hospitable weather.

Grat on the job, Chimpy. 

-Rasix
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1437 on: May 21, 2014, 12:24:39 PM

Congrats on the job, Chimpy!

I wish the husband was getting offers, but alas, no such luck.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1438 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:13 PM

I think the last time I wore a tie, someone must have a died but I don't remember who it was or even if there was a funeral. It's been that long.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1439 on: May 27, 2014, 10:07:34 AM

So I told my boss first thing this morning that I had accepted a job elsewhere and he smiled and said "Congratulations!".

Totally didn't expect exuberance as I had not told him that I was even looking. But my new boss is a friend of his so maybe it was more he is happy that someone good is going to work there.

But it is official, I have less than 3 weeks until I start the job where come August I will have to wear a tie every day (they relax the rule in the summer months).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1440 on: May 27, 2014, 11:05:20 AM

Ties aren't that bad.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #1441 on: May 27, 2014, 11:06:33 AM

Ties aren't that bad.

You sure that tie isn't cutting off circulation to your brain?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1442 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:43 PM

So I told my boss first thing this morning that I had accepted a job elsewhere and he smiled and said "Congratulations!".

That's a pretty solid signal.  Congratulations from me as well.

Ties do suck, but you'll need to aggregate the entire job experience and see if it is an overall improvement.  I mean, there are a lot of worse things than wearing a tie.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1443 on: May 27, 2014, 02:22:56 PM

Ties aren't that bad.

You sure that tie isn't cutting off circulation to your brain?

Nah I wouldn't want to wear it daily, but I don't mind dressing up for meetings.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: May 27, 2014, 03:16:48 PM

Seriously though, ties aren't that bad. Dressing up every now and then won't kill you. Yeesh.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
schild
Administrator

Reply #1445 on: May 27, 2014, 03:20:27 PM

Ties do suck, but you'll need to aggregate the entire job experience and see if it is an overall improvement.  I mean, there are a lot of worse things than wearing a tie.
Disagree, ties are the devil. It's not 1950. Old white people need to stop.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1446 on: May 27, 2014, 03:57:48 PM

I'd wear a tie every day if it meant I didn't have to wear a shirt that tucks into my pants. God I hate that.

Oh wait, I don't do ether of those apart from some job interviews.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1447 on: May 27, 2014, 03:59:18 PM

Comes with the territory sometimes; it's really not the worst thing in the world.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #1448 on: May 27, 2014, 04:00:52 PM

You're right, a Best Buy uniform is. But then you're working at Best Buy.

So, it's definitely one of the more common things that exists that IS one of the worst things in the world. That and the water in India.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1449 on: May 27, 2014, 04:30:44 PM

I won't really mind wearing the tie. It is not like I need to wear a suit every day (or really even at all, I am not going to be that high up the pecking order.) Chinos and a button up shirt + tie are fine.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1450 on: May 27, 2014, 04:36:10 PM

Comes with the territory sometimes; it's really not the worst thing in the world.
The orientation program was pure hell on me, having to wear a full suit and tie everyday (didn't help that it was in July in DC).  Not sure I could handle this job if I had to wear it every day like consular usually does, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1451 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:24 PM

I love the millennial tie hate.  I can't wait to see the first debate where someone's wearing jeans and an MMA T vs a centurion boomer in a tie. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1452 on: May 27, 2014, 09:18:55 PM

We are halfway to wearing togas.  Cats and dogs shopping at the Gap together!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1453 on: May 28, 2014, 04:34:26 AM

I love wearing shorts, t-shirts, and sandals to work.  It helps that it's hot as fuck though
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1454 on: May 28, 2014, 05:11:44 AM

We are halfway to wearing togas.  Cats and dogs shopping at the Gap together!

Heh, I can see that being the next step now that being out and about in your pajamas and sleep shirt are socially accepted.  "Fuck it, I'm just going to wrap the sheet/ towel around me and hit up the wal-mart."

Which I see as being the most amusing end to the cycle of fashion history.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1455 on: May 28, 2014, 05:52:02 AM

I love the millennial tie hate.  I can't wait to see the first debate where someone's wearing jeans and an MMA T vs a centurion boomer in a tie. 
You know, you can still wear nice pants and a shirt without a tie.  There is in fact something between full suit and jeans/T-Shirt.   awesome, for real

Ties are just so.....excesive (useless and needlessly uncomfortable).  Just pointless fashion accessories.  I'd maybe accept them if society also still forced everybody to wear big funny hats and wigs to work every day as well.  As it is, ties are the last thing like that left, so its an easy target.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1456 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:42 AM

Just go all out and wear bolo ties.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1457 on: May 28, 2014, 06:40:53 AM

Ties have never bothered me directly. It's the actual buttoning of that top button on a dress shirt. I usually feel like I'm choking before I even pick a tie out.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1458 on: May 28, 2014, 06:45:22 AM

In the South now it's become fairly common to see bow ties instead of just regular ties at business occasions. Bow tie on a seersucker suit no less.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1459 on: May 28, 2014, 07:14:48 AM

Ties have never bothered me directly. It's the actual buttoning of that top button on a dress shirt. I usually feel like I'm choking before I even pick a tie out.

It's probably that your collar is too small. I have the same with a thicker neck than my size. Unless I'm buying a fitted shirt I have to make sure I'm buying by collar size, not shirt size. Which means non-fitted shirts look ridiculously baggy on me.

You know, you can still wear nice pants and a shirt without a tie.  There is in fact something between full suit and jeans/T-Shirt.   awesome, for real

Ties are just so.....excesive (useless and needlessly uncomfortable).  Just pointless fashion accessories.  I'd maybe accept them if society also still forced everybody to wear big funny hats and wigs to work every day as well.  As it is, ties are the last thing like that left, so its an easy target.

I don't disagree. If you know the history of them you know EXACTLY how pointless they are and it'll happen that eventually they'll disappear. That doesn't change the fact is they haven't and we still have international conventions of acceptable business & formal attire that include them.

Will until we're all dead, most likely. Unless you think Businessmen and Heads of state are going to start bumming around whatever 'less formal' combo you want to insert here any time in the next 50-60 years.

Hating on them and saying "I'll never take a job where I have to wear one" is hyperbolic stance taking or pointlessly limiting your professional avenues. Which amuses me. 

Even more so when I realize it's only tech-sector people hating on it so hard.  The younger crowd in my office have embraced this "Tie Tuesday" thing and about 75% of them have taken to wearing them when they don't the rest of the week. A few have started wearing them more regularly outside of that day, because it looks sharp.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1460 on: May 28, 2014, 07:25:50 AM

In the South now it's become fairly common to see bow ties instead of just regular ties at business occasions. Bow tie on a seersucker suit no less.

Yea, I assume this is a fad.  Have you visited your old college campus?  I'm not sure if they are being ironic or serious.

I work from home so I often don't even wear shoes.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1461 on: May 28, 2014, 08:18:41 AM

It's a fad and yes they are serious.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1462 on: May 28, 2014, 08:23:32 AM

I wear shorts and a t-shirt when I lecture.  I enjoy the fact that my students dress better than I do.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1463 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:43 AM

Disagree, ties are the devil. It's not 1950. Old white people need to stop.
This. It's an accessory that serves no purpose apart from making it easier to die in accidents involving paper-shredding machines.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1464 on: May 28, 2014, 08:49:28 AM

While we're on it, somebody needs to bring capes back into style.  How many hundreds of years has it been?  I think we are ready for them to make a comeback. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1465 on: May 28, 2014, 08:52:30 AM

While we're on it, somebody needs to bring capes back into style.  How many hundreds of years has it been?  I think we are ready for them to make a comeback.  

My thoughts...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:15:32 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1466 on: May 28, 2014, 10:13:47 AM

It's probably that your collar is too small. I have the same with a thicker neck than my size. Unless I'm buying a fitted shirt I have to make sure I'm buying by collar size, not shirt size. Which means non-fitted shirts look ridiculously baggy on me.

I always hated the top button closed thing (and still dislike it) but I bought a bunch of fitted shirts last weekend specifically for wearing to work at the new job because the neck fit thing. Even after losing all of the weight I did, I still have the same trouble with the neck on shirts that are not fitted being too tight to wear closed that you mention.

Fitted shirts also have the advantage that they are usually made of nicer fabric than your typical casual button down shirts. And if you are like me and know which stores have the best clearance sales you can get them for less than half the price of the casual ones. I got 6 nice fitted shirts and 3 nice silk ties for a total of $105 on Saturday.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1467 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:42 PM

You all know that's it's possible to unbutton that top button after fixing your ties...right?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1468 on: May 28, 2014, 04:21:47 PM

All a tie does is cover up the buttons. So to fix this, I am just going to start using big ass clown buttons on my button down shirts.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1469 on: May 28, 2014, 09:32:51 PM

This thread.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: