Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992791 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1330 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:10 PM

I had a job interview today.  By the time I made it back down to the parking lot, they had already called me to schedule a second interview.  I'm taking that as a good sign.
Good luck!

The husband has an in-person interview on Friday but he's leery about the bank.  The recruiter he did the phone screen with must have talked so fast and  over him that he had to ask her to repeat things a few times, plus she said one of the reasons they want to meet with him is that newBank really likes his experience is from oldBank and they want to pattern themselves like that.  Except he absolutely hated what oldBank was doing, thinks it's a terrible path to take, and does nothing but cause stress for the employees.  Things like counting widgets as a metric (e.g. number of checking accounts opened versus the value of accounts opened) or running with an absolute barebones staffing model (e.g. two tellers, a personal banker and a manager in total.. that's some tight staffing which has no flex).

I'm to the point where any job is worth accepting if only to get back into the workforce, plus it's easier to find a job when you have one. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1331 on: April 23, 2014, 01:03:25 PM

Wife got a job with Humana dealing with corporate accounts.  First job ever over 30k a year.

Thanks, Obamacare.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1332 on: April 23, 2014, 02:17:30 PM

Wife got a job with Humana dealing with corporate accounts.  First job ever over 30k a year.

Thanks, Obamacare.
Don't worry, the work she's doing will likely amount to tens of millions for the executives there.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1333 on: April 23, 2014, 02:19:14 PM

Just as God intended.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1334 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:35 PM

Thanks, Obamacare.
Don't worry, the work she's doing will likely amount to tens of millions for the executives there.

Well, yeah, they created the job.  That's how it works, right ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1335 on: April 23, 2014, 02:28:12 PM

Basically. She's free to turn it down if it's not worth it to her. That's how it works.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1336 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:12 PM

You all misunderstand. She's never made over 30k, I am happy.

Nutballs.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1337 on: April 23, 2014, 08:06:02 PM

You all misunderstand. She's never made over 30k, I am happy.

Nutballs.  Ohhhhh, I see.

No we got that, Schild was just being a jerk.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1338 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:58 PM

Me? Never. Well, at least not in this case. Id say insurance companies in the US are always fair game to shit upon.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1339 on: April 25, 2014, 07:01:20 AM

Had my second interview today, two days after the first interview.  Went quite well with the test scores and all that, so now they are asking to contact a couple of references.  THIS IS ALL HAPPENING TOO FAST DAMMIT.

Kidding, sort of.  But really, in this day and age...why do we even do the reference thing?  Is it even thinkable that somebody would fail to find two people, real or imagined, to say only positive things about you?  I just seems like a bit of a waste of time to me.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: April 25, 2014, 07:21:44 AM

I think the same thing about references. My wife works for government, so a lot of formal paperwork. Her last job asked for 3 references, one of which could be a spouse. So how does an employer think they are going to get an unbiased opinion from a spouse?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1341 on: April 26, 2014, 02:19:26 AM

Kidding, sort of.  But really, in this day and age...why do we even do the reference thing?  Is it even thinkable that somebody would fail to find two people, real or imagined, to say only positive things about you?  I just seems like a bit of a waste of time to me.

I always check references. In my experience everyone can find two people to vouch for them, but if you pay attention and read between the lines you can learn a lot from what those people say. A lot of times they will give you subtle warnings if your radar is tuned correctly.

Maybe this varies widely based on profession. In programming at least I find that references have an understanding that it's a professional courtesy to be honest. Nobody is going to come out and say "this guy sucks" but they may give muted instead of wholehearted praise.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1342 on: April 26, 2014, 08:18:26 AM

Yeah.  Apparently putting me down as a reference cost someone a job.  Make sure they WILL lie for you!!

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: April 26, 2014, 08:45:04 AM

Somehow that doesn't surprise me  Ohhhhh, I see.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1344 on: April 26, 2014, 11:15:46 AM

Yeah.  Apparently putting me down as a reference cost someone a job.  Make sure they WILL lie for you!!

surprising how often this happens.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1345 on: April 26, 2014, 05:20:44 PM

Hypothetically, if I was a reference for someone I disliked, what can I legally say to the HR/Recruiter that calls asking about them?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1346 on: April 26, 2014, 05:38:22 PM

Hypothetically, if I was a reference for someone I disliked, what can I legally say to the HR/Recruiter that calls asking about them?

Legally in the U.S. the only thing you can say negative is "Would not rehire".

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1347 on: April 26, 2014, 05:48:27 PM

Legally in the U.S. the only thing you can say negative is "Would not rehire".

I think he was being listed as a character reference, not a former boss.

Though, even as a boss the 'would not rehire' or only confirming dates of employment is because companies are all about minimizing risk. "Not worth the legal fees of a defamation trial" in other words. If you can back it up, you're fully able to be honest if your company allows you to.  There's no law that says you can't.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1348 on: April 26, 2014, 05:52:03 PM

Nuetral and professional.  Red flags will fire up immediately.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1349 on: April 26, 2014, 05:58:14 PM

I don't believe your average HR person is capable of discerning what neutral and professional means. Speaking of jobs, I just had maybe the worst interview I've ever had. I'm not gonna post specifics but goddamn, I'm still tilted by it.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1350 on: April 26, 2014, 08:06:22 PM

Worst on their end, or worst on your end?

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: April 26, 2014, 09:01:22 PM

My problem with references is I had 4.  One retired and moved away I no longer have his contact info.  Another died.  So I only have 2 references.  I just put the 2 down last time I applied for a job and no one seemed to care (got the job).
schild
Administrator

Reply #1352 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:57 PM

Worst on their end, or worst on your end?

Both ends. I'll PM you why.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: April 27, 2014, 05:18:54 AM

If they specifically put you down as a reference, I think "no comment" would say all that needs to be said.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1354 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:55 AM

I wasn't given as a reference, but a recruiter knew I worked with someone and asked about him.  I gave my honest opinion, in detail, of why that guy was not a good pick for anything in the IT field.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1355 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:19 AM

So, I've decided to start checking either the "multiracial," "white," or "wish not to answer" boxes on my job applications.  'Equal Opportunity' citings are starting to look like ruses to me.  I've been looked past a few jobs I obviously should've gotten and my recruiter has flatly told me not to put my picture on my resume.  Thoughts?  Help or hurt?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1356 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:33 AM

So, I've decided to start checking either the "multiracial," "white," or "wish not to answer" boxes on my job applications.  'Equal Opportunity' citings are starting to look like ruses to me.  I've been looked past a few jobs I obviously should've gotten and my recruiter has flatly told me not to put my picture on my resume.  Thoughts?  Help or hurt?

I don't see any benefit to putting a picture on a resume, but I'm not in corporate America.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1357 on: April 28, 2014, 10:25:16 AM

I'd not hire someone of any color that put their picture on a resume.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: April 28, 2014, 10:25:22 AM

Picture on a resume?

If you aren't doing acting or modeling there should be absolutely zero reason to ever even think that submitting a picture is something expected with a resume.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: April 28, 2014, 10:40:43 AM

In hospitality it's pretty much a given you have to have your pic on your resume.  Of course, I'm getting out of hospitality (and into tech) so maybe I should take it off.  Kind of a moot point though because every recruiter ends up on my linkedin page regardless, which also has my picture.   Ohhhhh, I see.

You guys didn't answer my real question though, which was the one about which racial box to check.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1360 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:02 AM

If you're not required to answer, don't answer.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1361 on: April 28, 2014, 12:36:32 PM

lol a picture on a resume?

is this a joke thread now?

edit: Oh, hospitality. Yea, that's only so front-facing departments can hire attractive chicks. Don't put your fucking picture on a resume.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1362 on: April 28, 2014, 12:38:20 PM

In hospitality it's pretty much a given you have to have your pic on your resume.  Of course, I'm getting out of hospitality (and into tech) so maybe I should take it off.  Kind of a moot point though because every recruiter ends up on my linkedin page regardless, which also has my picture.   Ohhhhh, I see.

You guys didn't answer my real question though, which was the one about which racial box to check.
There's definitely a racial bias in hiring based on name. If you name sounds "black" you are less likely to get a job. For pictures it's less clear. Less attractive people are less likely to get a job compared to more attractive people but the studies I've seen have intentionally tried to remove any racial bias for those but it's probably safe to say that if you are an unattractive black male with a black sounding name you are screwed.

As for what to fill in the box if you are applying to schools* or applying for a government contract (like as a small business owner) check as many that apply awesome, for real For a job, though, leave it blank.

Edit: *Unless you are Asian in which case you should leave it blank

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:42:42 PM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1363 on: April 28, 2014, 12:45:24 PM

if you are an unattractive black male with a black sounding name you are screwed.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1364 on: April 28, 2014, 12:46:51 PM

Unless you are trying out for a team in a black-dominated sport, in which case it's fine.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: