Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 993115 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: December 10, 2013, 06:54:58 PM

Wait, that's like 2 weeks leave a year, which is to be used for both vacation and sick days? Fuck that noise.

15 days is 3 weeks.  Us non-government folks only work 5 days a week :P
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1261 on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:27 PM

Get out now.

I'm serious. ASAP.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1262 on: December 10, 2013, 07:46:31 PM

Get out now.

I'm serious. ASAP.

Pretty much what I'm going to secretly advise the people under me, and I'm definitely going to start spinning up my network for the new year. 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: December 10, 2013, 07:55:50 PM

I wouldn't wait, the "Keep it open until after the new years so as not to spoil everyone's holidays" shtick is almost a cliche.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1264 on: December 10, 2013, 08:04:09 PM

I wouldn't wait, the "Keep it open until after the new years so as not to spoil everyone's holidays" shtick is almost a cliche.

I'm not going to wait to tell my team, I'll be talking to them tomorrow.  No one is hiring anyways the last 3 weeks in December which is why I'm working on getting my network now so I'm ready to get going in the new year.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: December 10, 2013, 08:15:34 PM

Good luck! and good on you to warn your team not many bosses would do that. If they are showing the space to potential renters that is pretty much the writing on the wall.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: December 11, 2013, 01:26:27 AM

So I just sent the CTO (my boss) an email, this should be interesting.  It was about how certain things going down at one time haven't gone unnoticed.  Things such as:
1) They sent out a new severance policy that states there is no severance unless you have a signed letter from the CEO (I didn't even know this was legal).
2) Removal of 3 days of PTO (yes, 3 weeks before the end of the year they change the PTO policy and reduce our total PTO from 18 days to 15)
3) Removal our awesome coffee pot for some tiny piece of shit
4) The lawyer has been going around showing off random people the office talking about the utility of spaces and hwo they match building plans they were given.  Since my company is in a shitty monetary situation I'd put my money on them wanting to sublease our office space out.

fun times ahead  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah.  Go.  Now.  That CV Needs polished, pay someone.  If you need interview tips, pay someone.  You want someone hunting you jobs because you don't have time ?  Pay someone.

Get it done now and by someone else if you can't do it yourself.  So much harder to get a job when you ain't got one.

Especially when the tricky details  of 'Extreme Director Fiduciary Misconduct' in your previous place come to light.

I'm told.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: December 11, 2013, 01:28:04 AM

No one is hiring anyways the last 3 weeks in December which is why I'm working on getting my network now so I'm ready to get going in the new year.

Actually, you'd be surprised.  Since the two other job offers (one of which I've taken and start in the New Year) I've had no less than 5 companies sniffing around.  Some people like to clear decks and get things ready for a 'New Year, New Start'.

3 weeks is also a good notice period for a Christmas break.

Go find them.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1268 on: December 11, 2013, 05:15:50 AM

No one is hiring anyways the last 3 weeks in December which is why I'm working on getting my network now so I'm ready to get going in the new year.
You would be surprised.  I was contacted about a position they are looking to fill in the exact same timeframe.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: December 11, 2013, 05:41:00 AM

When I got into the office I looked at my offer letter.  Unfortunately severance isn't mentioned in it.  Guess this teaches me not to push for a minimum severance in the offer letter/hire contract.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: December 11, 2013, 03:24:26 PM

So had a nice chat with the CTO, who seemed just as perplexed by the severance policy as we are (take that as you will).  The company is trying to limit liabilities (thus the dumbness of the PTO change) as they are currently very strapped for cash.  They still believe that once the summer comes nad we get a bunch of revenue from our contracts we will be in a much better financial position going forward (which is legit, most of our contracts come up for renewal Q2 and we are pretty good at getting people to pay). 

The whole sublease thing is apparently that they want to sublease our current place and move us to a different building, as our current office is ridiculously overpriced and expensive.  It's dumb that they aren't making that public because otherwise it's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that something is up and what it looks like is worse than what it (supposedly) is.

Yeah I know, they need to spin things so things don't look as bad as they are.  We'll see.  I'm just going to be very frugal until the time comes, and if the time doesn't come and it turns out alright then I can be in a very, very good position career wise.  If things go downhill I have a good amount of savings, the market is good where I live, and I have some backup plans in the works.

Fun times ahead.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1271 on: December 11, 2013, 03:55:17 PM

My brain is fried.  I'm ready to bomb this interview. At least then I can say I "tried".  awesome, for real 

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1272 on: December 12, 2013, 02:25:37 AM

So had a nice chat with the CTO, who seemed just as perplexed by the severance policy as we are (take that as you will).  The company is trying to limit liabilities (thus the dumbness of the PTO change) as they are currently very strapped for cash.  They still believe that once the summer comes nad we get a bunch of revenue from our contracts we will be in a much better financial position going forward (which is legit, most of our contracts come up for renewal Q2 and we are pretty good at getting people to pay). 

The whole sublease thing is apparently that they want to sublease our current place and move us to a different building, as our current office is ridiculously overpriced and expensive.  It's dumb that they aren't making that public because otherwise it's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that something is up and what it looks like is worse than what it (supposedly) is.

Yeah I know, they need to spin things so things don't look as bad as they are.  We'll see.  I'm just going to be very frugal until the time comes, and if the time doesn't come and it turns out alright then I can be in a very, very good position career wise.  If things go downhill I have a good amount of savings, the market is good where I live, and I have some backup plans in the works.

Fun times ahead.

You got the visit to Egypt booked ?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1273 on: December 12, 2013, 06:28:58 AM

I'll wait and see how this turns out before I make any comments.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

Reply #1274 on: December 12, 2013, 12:04:06 PM

My brain is fried.  I'm ready to bomb this interview. At least then I can say I "tried".  awesome, for real 

Well, not a total bomb, but not a home run either.  No idea at all where I stand with this. 

There just isn't enough time for this style of interview, IMO.  I'm not some sort of competition speed programmer.  undecided

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1275 on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:17 PM

Did you elaborate on this earlier while I was out of town?  You had a practicum test as an interview?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1276 on: December 13, 2013, 05:32:51 AM

Well, not a total bomb, but not a home run either.  No idea at all where I stand with this. 

There just isn't enough time for this style of interview, IMO.  I'm not some sort of competition speed programmer.  undecided

I've found that, after a certain point, that style of interview is far more about how much experience you have doing programming interviews (and memorizing the tricks) than about actual engineering ability.
Rasix

Reply #1277 on: December 13, 2013, 08:16:26 AM

That was my first of that style.  When I had previously interviewed at Google (6 years ago or so), they were doing a combination of brain teasers (how many creepy clowns are there in the world), phone programming questions (no Google docs then), and HR interview all rolled into one.  HR type shit doesn't seem to be a consideration and they don't ask the weird stuff anymore.

If this is something I want to consider outside of this opportunity, I'll just have to start doing some independent study and take a night a week to do exercises like this.  My willpower to stick with that sort of thing doesn't hang around long.

-Rasix
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1278 on: January 03, 2014, 09:46:12 PM

I'm hiring a product analyst if anyone wants to move near Boulder, CO.

- Viin
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1279 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:30 PM

I'm actually having my first job interview in five years on Monday.  For some reason I feel I should be more nervous, yet I'm not worried at all.
Rasix

Reply #1280 on: January 09, 2014, 01:24:46 PM

I really wish companies would just give you an email or a text message if you at some point fall out of the running for a position.  Could be the holidays, but the eternal optimist in me says no.

-Rasix
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: January 09, 2014, 03:24:40 PM

Oddly enough, the husband has gotten several messages when he's not been selected to "move forward" on a job search.  Including ones from online app systems.  Hey, a soulless system generated message is better than nothing.

Sucks he's not found anything yet.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1282 on: January 09, 2014, 04:53:23 PM

I actually prefer that to nothing. I think more people should do it.

Possibly event one for breakups too.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1283 on: January 09, 2014, 05:57:29 PM

I really wish companies would just give you an email or a text message if you at some point fall out of the running for a position.
Yup, would be nice.  They did send me the background check and application paperwork afterwards, and several people even emailed me to thank me for my time and they looked forward to hearing more from me, so I guess that's positive.  Last time I did this I had to wait 6 weeks to get a brush off email from one place and a "we aren't returning your phone calls so go away" vibe from the other.

On a side note I spent the night in DFW on the floor because of this frigid weather and American Airlines inability to handle it.
Rasix

Reply #1284 on: January 22, 2014, 11:49:07 AM

Got the "thanks, but no thanks" call finally.

And.. our 4th quarter was shitty.  Again.  Time to start looking elsewhere, before I'm asked to leave.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1285 on: January 22, 2014, 12:07:11 PM

No room over here. awesome, for real

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1286 on: January 22, 2014, 12:18:53 PM

Found out that my old job is likely going to have an opening doing almost exactly what I'm doing at my new job that they want me to apply for.  A little more money short term, a lot more money possible in the long term, likely comparable benefits and would be about 30 minute less driving every day.  I just need to get past feeling like it would be a dick move to leave my new job after only 6 months since I do actually like it here and I'm the 4th person in this position in 4 years.

I liked my old employer as well, but I was in a temp-to-hire 40 hours a week no benefits type situation for over a year when they couldn't get a position created for me so I left when something opened up elsewhere.

If I actually get offered a position at my old place is there anything wrong with just going to my current boss and saying "Hey, I like it here, but I just got offered X more money to go somewhere else that I know I like.  I'd like to stay but you guys would have to offer me Y more per year."?

I've left every place I've ever worked on really good terms so I'd prefer to keep that going if I can.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1287 on: January 22, 2014, 12:31:27 PM

Depends on the company. If you were at Google, and a good employee, they would likely say "sure, here's more money"* awesome, for real

* http://www.businessinsider.com/a-google-programmer-blew-off-a-500000-salary-at-startup--because-hes-already-making-3-million-every-year-2014-1
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1288 on: January 22, 2014, 01:33:36 PM

I'd tell your current boss exactly that.  Just lay out the facts and I'd expect no one would fault you for making a good decision.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1289 on: January 22, 2014, 04:40:01 PM

Also if they do have a shitfit after you tell them the whole story? Probably means you dodged drama down the line anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: January 22, 2014, 11:02:55 PM

If anyone's got any decent EE-ish (mechatronics, systems, whatever) intern/fellowship contacts please lemme know (any location as long as it isn't Florida); I've gone down that deep, dark path and could use whatever halp I can find.  Now 'scuse me while I continue writing literally 20 essays.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1291 on: January 24, 2014, 02:51:13 PM

I got that RH cert out of the way.  Contrary to everyone else, I didn't have a problem with the time limit so much as I basically bombed the yum setup and wasn't able to do two entire tasks.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #1292 on: January 28, 2014, 06:32:23 AM

Although it may not have been the smartest thing to do in today's job climate, this month I left the army after 12 years, and am doing something I should have done ages ago; going to university. Chemistry here I come!!!

Also, I am going to assume that music is the same as the last time I was in school. The Limp Bizkits are still popular, right?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1293 on: January 28, 2014, 08:33:29 AM

Although it may not have been the smartest thing to do in today's job climate, this month I left the army after 12 years, and am doing something I should have done ages ago; going to university. Chemistry here I come!!!

Also, I am going to assume that music is the same as the last time I was in school. The Limp Bizkits are still popular, right?

Unless you are going to live in the dorms, I don't think it will matter.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1294 on: February 01, 2014, 06:07:56 PM

Got an offer letter, which has been great.  But this place has 2 requirements for a background check and a drug screen.  Apparently the background check was fine, but this whole drug screen thing is REALLY being played out.  Forms have to be mailed out, I can't do anything with them except hand them to the person at this specialized place that takes the screening, and they're only open M, Tu, Th, Fr 1-4PM.  I didn't even know places that aren't the DEA or requiring top secret clearances even did pre-hiring drugs screens anymore.  I'll be really angry if my neighbors having a personal growing stash next door and a "green room" that wafts over the fence cause me to miss out on this job, because the way the place is playing it up you'd think we've got a serious battery of tests coming to see if a little reefer has ever been smoked.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:11:12 PM by Selby »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: