Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992999 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1225 on: October 18, 2013, 02:14:50 PM

Congrats, you survived!  I guess two years in Benin should probably make you enjoy FSI a little more than back in the initial training days, heh.  My boss use to work in Mexico and has worked in Monterrey several times.  He has a lot of good things to say about it, so that should be something to look forward to.

There's a not insignificant chance I'll take you're place back in Africa in Lagos or Bujumbura in a year, so I guess I'll look to you for some pointers if/when that happens.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1226 on: October 19, 2013, 04:11:44 PM

We have openings for 2 night shift RN's, ER and/or Critical Care experience required. The hospital down the street has about 8 night shift openings.

I hear a lot of grumblings in that we don't want to hire new grads, but we aren't big enough or have enough time available to start up a new grad program, those hospitals that do that are bigger in bigger populations (yes there are some small hospitals and medium sized that do, but it is getting rarer). What happens is that we get them trained on an intermediate care unit or cardiac unit where they can learn some things, then try out ER or ICU. If you really want to graduated from nursing school and work ER or ICU, go get your paramedic first, work as a paramedic while going to RN school, then apply (and take the flight slot i was so freaking wanting!!!! god damn Paramedic to RN's...jk I'm glad they got it...fuckers).

Problem is that new grads think they should get a job where the don't work nights, overtime, weekends, or have to start in a lower care unit and work up. The good news is that there is lots of turn over, so eventually in a couple of years you get to the speciality you want.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1227 on: October 29, 2013, 02:14:27 PM

Anyone work at Google that I can list as a friend?  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1228 on: October 29, 2013, 02:36:09 PM

Anyone work at Google that I can list as a friend?  awesome, for real

HINT HINT QUENTON

I have like 10 friends that work there, I should probably try to work that angle too.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #1229 on: October 30, 2013, 11:36:58 AM

Sounds like they're doing a big hiring push at Mountain View.   Technical phone interview in a couple weeks.  Should be fun interacting with an engineer that'll make me feel like a moron for a solid 45 minutes.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1230 on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:25 PM

After two years of drought, headhunted by two companies in one week.  One has an old friend working there and would offer more potential.  The other basically offered a blank cheque at interview.

What an odd week it's been.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1231 on: October 30, 2013, 04:04:26 PM

After two years of drought, headhunted by two companies in one week.  One has an old friend working there and would offer more potential.  The other basically offered a blank cheque at interview.

What an odd week it's been.

Haven't you been pretty close to going postal at your current employer recently?

Sounds like you have two ways to stay out of jail! :D

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1232 on: October 31, 2013, 03:40:18 AM

Sounds like they're doing a big hiring push at Mountain View.   Technical phone interview in a couple weeks.  Should be fun interacting with an engineer that'll make me feel like a moron for a solid 45 minutes.

It's weird. Of the people I went to university with, or worked with in my first two years out of uni, fully half of them have been absorbed into the Google mothership via various means.

The other half work for defense contractors. Go figure.
Rasix

Reply #1233 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:15 AM

I don't believe I'll be absorbed.  I thought they contacted me for a completely different reason/skillset than they actually did.  This will likely be a lot of cramming and relearning for little chance at success.  Still, worth a shot.  Current employer really has no clue what they're doing is and is eventually going to mismanage an entire division into oblivion.  Yay.  swamp poop

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1234 on: October 31, 2013, 01:49:53 PM

Does this mean you'll be in Mountain View at some point? :P

God Save the Horn Players
Rasix

Reply #1235 on: October 31, 2013, 04:10:30 PM

Must pass 45 minutes of doom first.  Then it's onto first person humiliation and shame.  So.. maybe?

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1236 on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:46 AM

My favorite thing about you is your undefeatable optimism. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1237 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:24 AM

Good luck to you!  I barely manage to be productive now and I work at a place with few distractions, I can't even imagine how unproductive I would be at Google.  Then again working at Google isn't anything I would ever have to worry about.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1238 on: November 03, 2013, 02:41:36 PM

Good luck to you!  I barely manage to be productive now and I work at a place with few distractions, I can't even imagine how unproductive I would be at Google.  Then again working at Google isn't anything I would ever have to worry about.
Need a sidekick in doing nothing? Because that sounds fantastic.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1239 on: November 04, 2013, 01:37:46 PM

Good luck to you!  I barely manage to be productive now and I work at a place with few distractions, I can't even imagine how unproductive I would be at Google.  Then again working at Google isn't anything I would ever have to worry about.
Need a sidekick in doing nothing? Because that sounds fantastic.
There is some difference between doing nothing and being unproductive even if the results are the same.  They aren't hiring for the foreseeable future, my guess is the next position to open up will be mine in 18 months or so when I leave.  I doubt you would enjoy this particular nightmare though, we do get to yell and curse at each other a lot so it is somewhat better than my last gig at least.

edit - You should sniff around the Google building they appear to be hiring large quantities of people that do mysteriously things while appearing to drink beer and ride scooters around the office, Austin is mostly made up of various levels of account reps I think.

edit2 - And by account rep I mean the technovangelist type not the parts supplier type.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:48:21 PM by Salamok »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1240 on: November 04, 2013, 03:30:32 PM

I check Google periodically, unless there's an intranet list of jobs there, the ones they've posted externally for Austin are basically shit.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1241 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:34 PM

I don't believe there are very many projects operating out of the Austin office.  Google has a quite a few regional offices, but tends not to stretch and teams projects between sites if it can be avoided.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1242 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:01 AM

It really sucks after being a stay-at-home dad for six years to realize all your old bosses either died or retired.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1243 on: November 14, 2013, 03:39:02 AM

It really sucks after being a stay-at-home dad for six years to realize all your old bosses either died or retired.

Why does that suck ?  I would like to do the same to most of my old bosses with a sniper rifle.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1244 on: November 14, 2013, 04:20:45 AM

I think maybe he is having trouble finding someone to answer reference check calls?

Job interview on Tuesday for one of two positions at the central IT office on campus. Jobs are in the office that runs endpoint management (SCCM, IBM Enterprise Manager, McAfee EPO) for the university. I am going to be cramming every bit of information I have forgotten in the last year since I had SCCM training plus anything else I can pick up this weekend..

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1245 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:20 AM

My answer to Windows tech questions is usually "I'm sure it's in a menu somewhere."

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1246 on: November 14, 2013, 06:12:40 AM

F1 Mastery.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1247 on: November 14, 2013, 08:16:03 AM

Why does that suck ?  I would like to do the same to most of my old bosses with a sniper rifle.

It sucks because can I really list my 7-year-old as a reference?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1248 on: November 14, 2013, 08:24:00 AM

Yes.  Yes, you can.

You can also specify HR as the reference and let the hirer figure that shit out.  It's really Not Your Problem.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1249 on: November 14, 2013, 10:32:07 AM

It's my problem since they require me to upload them into their system.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1250 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:03 PM

I also am apparently deceased according to my college.

Rasix

Reply #1251 on: November 14, 2013, 12:27:47 PM

Do you have any evidence to show them that you aren't?  They'll need at least 3 documents.

-Rasix
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1252 on: November 14, 2013, 12:39:06 PM

I also am apparently deceased according to my college.
That's a pretty extreme way to get out of those annoying alumni letters.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1253 on: November 14, 2013, 01:50:22 PM

Do you have any evidence to show them that you aren't?  They'll need at least 3 documents.

Apparently a driver's license is sufficient.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1254 on: November 26, 2013, 04:31:52 PM

If anyone is looking for a linux sysadmin gig, my company is hiring. The job is in Madrid but relo assistance is on the table, the company works in English too.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1255 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:51 PM

Given the more than 25% unemployment rate in Spain right now importing a foreign worker seems almost like a human  rights violation.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1256 on: November 27, 2013, 12:55:53 PM

The US has been struggling with unemployment rates also, yet there are many industries, both in tech and manufacturing, that cannot find enough skilled workers among our over 300 million population to take the jobs they desperately want to fill.  Industry and the job market has changed radically in the industrialized world over the last decade or two, and one of the biggest challenges nations face seems to be getting their workforce retrained towards what the domestic market actually demands.  Until we figure out how to manage that more efficiently, skilled immigrant labor is going to be a necessary fact of life for companies to stay afloat.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1257 on: December 10, 2013, 05:01:47 PM

So I just sent the CTO (my boss) an email, this should be interesting.  It was about how certain things going down at one time haven't gone unnoticed.  Things such as:
1) They sent out a new severance policy that states there is no severance unless you have a signed letter from the CEO (I didn't even know this was legal).
2) Removal of 3 days of PTO (yes, 3 weeks before the end of the year they change the PTO policy and reduce our total PTO from 18 days to 15)
3) Removal our awesome coffee pot for some tiny piece of shit
4) The lawyer has been going around showing off random people the office talking about the utility of spaces and hwo they match building plans they were given.  Since my company is in a shitty monetary situation I'd put my money on them wanting to sublease our office space out.

fun times ahead  Ohhhhh, I see.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1258 on: December 10, 2013, 05:54:44 PM

Queue Ironwood telling you to "get out now" in ...3...2...1

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1259 on: December 10, 2013, 05:58:50 PM

Wait, that's like 2 weeks leave a year, which is to be used for both vacation and sick days? Fuck that noise.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: